PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith's Prediction For Eddie Royal Comes True

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2009, 02:44 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/smith.royal.broncos.2.1245406.html

When the greatest receiver in Broncos history tells you your time is going to come, there's no reason to doubt it.

Up until Sunday, second-year receiver Eddie Royal had been having quiet start to the season. Last week he was out to lunch with Broncos Ring of Famer Rod Smith and listened to him make a prediction that came true in a big way during the Broncos win 20-17 win over the Patriots.

Smith told him: "Eddie, I promise you, you're going to have those 2 or 3 catch days and you're going to have those 10 catch days."

Royal often was the go-to offensive weapon in his rookie year. Through the first four games of 2009 he only had 8 receptions for 58 yards. On Sunday he broke out with 10 catches for 90 yards, both game highs, and in the process became only the third NFL receiver to reach 100 catches in his first 20 games as a pro.

Smith sang Royal's praises on CBS4's Comcast Broncos Live! on Monday. He said he was impressed with Royal right from the start when he came to him for advice on how to elevate his game.

"You don't find someone this young and this humble who is able to say 'Hey Rod, you have some wisdom and I don't. Will you help me?'" Smith said. "Most people are so afraid to ask for help. And Eddie said 'Can you show me some of the things that I'm doing that can make me one of the elite receivers in the game?'"

Royal, the guest host of Monday's show, said every time he gets a chance to talk to Smith he has "wide open ears."

"(Smith) has so much knowledge about the game but not only the game -- how to handle yourself, the way to be a professional. That's so important in this league. The way that you carry yourself is almost as important as your play," Royal said.

Smith remembers the last time the Denver Broncos started their season at 5-0. He was on that team, and they won the Super Bowl. So far he says he's not that surprised with the team's success.

"It's definitely a playoff team. From the minute coach (Josh) McDaniels got here, he's been taking heat. The team hadn't played a game and in the offseason and the preseason everybody dogged them out and didn't give them a chance," said Smith, who recalled dismissing critics of the Broncos on NFL network before the season started, saying the team had yet to play a regular season game.

Smith expects Royal will continue to play a large role in the team's success this season.

"This guy right here is going to make this organization go to the top, and I'm looking forward to this year."

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I LOVE Rod Smith :salute: - he may have RETIRED, but he DEFINITELY still is a BRONCO, and will do whatever he can to help.

frauschieze
10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Have I gushed recently about how much I love Rod Smith? :love:

At times I wonder where our team would be without him. Would Eddie be as good as he is? Would Brandon still be sitting on the sidelines? He still does a lot for us.

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Rod Smith Honorary Offensive MVP of the Broncos! He was crucial in the Marshall turn around too!!

Overtime
10-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Have I gushed recently about how much I love Rod Smith? :love:

At times I wonder where our team would be without him. Would Eddie be as good as he is? Would Brandon still be sitting on the sidelines? He still does a lot for us.

haven't noticed any gushing lately over Rod Smith, but as far as this post goes, I'm sure your panties are ready to be washed now. :pound:

GEM
10-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I LOVE Rod Smith :salute: - he may have RETIRED, but he DEFINITELY still is a BRONCO, and will do whatever he can to help.

I thought loving his play on the field was enough. No way!! The guy is just pure awesome. He's been gone how many seasons now and how often do we still see his name in Broncos news, and everytime it's for him helping out the young guys on the team. Fantastic!!

Shazam!
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
"You don't find someone this young and this humble who is able to say 'Hey Rod, you have some wisdom and I don't. Will you help me?'" Smith said"

If only more young people out there were like that...

Dirk
10-14-2009, 05:39 AM
If only more young people out there were like that...

And not just in football right? :salute:

frenchfan
10-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Yeah, a great sign of intelligence is to be able to know you don't know... Then to listen and learn...

Every people I know who did that were always successful...

Damn, We should hire Rod as WR coach (or assistant WR coach or whatever he can do to help some of our players)... This guy was always money :salute: :beer:

Dean
10-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Royal's role in the offense has certainly under gpne a change as this article illustrates.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/12/broncos-talented-eddie-royal-slowly-adjusting-to-new-role/

DENVER -- Eddie Royal epitomizes the transition the surprising 5-0 Denver Broncos have made from what they were to what they have, thus far, become.

With the arrival of new head coach Josh McDaniels this season, plenty of Broncos players had to expect adjusted roles this season. But for the few facing a drastic, unexpected change -- a change that may have been hard to buy into initially -- they faced a choice: Sulk and be left behind.

Or accept it. Like McDaniels likes to say -- well, actually demand -- "Do your job."

So, Royal has.

In his second NFL season, Royal, a big-play receiver as a rookie, has morphed into a move-the-chains possession guy. It has not been an easy transition. But against the New England Patriots here on Sunday, it was certainly productive.

Royal made 10 catches for 90 yards against the Patriots -- Nine of them were on Broncos scoring drives, seven were for first downs (including three on third-down), and none was for more than 15 yards.

Eddie Royal out-Welkered the Patriots Wes Welker in Denver's thrilling 20-17 overtime victory.

Eddie Royal's Week 5 Performance

Brandon Marshall had two big TDs for Denver in Sunday's win over New England, but Eddie Royal helped set the table. A look at each of Royal's 10 catches:

It was the culmination of a stunning, and somewhat stinging, role reversal for Royal.

A second-round pick out of Virginia Tech last year, Royal torched the league in his debut season -- he became the first player since the 1970 merger to provide his team's longest run (71 yards), longest reception (95), longest kickoff return (95) and longest punt return (36) in one season. He caught 91 balls and averaged 10.8 yards per catch as a rookie. Only Arizona's Anquan Boldin (101 in 2003) caught more passes as a rookie in NFL history.

But year two has been much different for Royal.

Enter McDaniels. Enter more short stuff. Do your job.

"It's been humbling," Royal said. "It's been hard. Last year, it was a lot of big plays, and this year it is underneath. I've had to become more physical, learn how to operate in tight spots, do my job and do what I can do to help us win. Take the good, the bad and the ugly. Learn to fight in the way I'm asked, like everyone else."

Former Broncos receiver Rod Smith has been in Royal's ear, much like he's done with Denver's controversial receiver Brandon Marshall. Smith has inspired Royal to think wider -- to accept that he can excel at the dink-and-dunk stuff, even if he feels he's a home-run threat.

"Eddie is a receiver with great speed and can run by anybody," Smith said. "You go from catching 90-plus balls and doing that to what his role is now? Man, that's tough for an NFL receiver. It's huge. But he is understanding now that this is a totally different scheme and a totally different building and franchise. It's like a worker who one day walked into Microsoft and the next day walked into Mac -- the whole building and attitude and philosophy and structure have changed with Josh.

"For a young player, you have one year one way, that is your NFL experience, and now you have a totally different role. I tell him, some games you might catch one or two balls and some days 10 or 12. It's about pride. Don't let it beat you. He is loved here by the fans and his teammates. He's a football player. He's a winning football player."

In Royal's first four games this season, he caught eight balls for 58 yards. His average yards per catch has dipped to 8.2 yards this season, and he's yet to catch a touchdown pass -- he caught five in 2008.

But Royal is not alone in needing to adjust, said Broncos sixth-year linebacker D.J. Williams.

"Everybody is starting to buy into the fact that it does not matter if your numbers are down or different if we are winning," Williams said. "We have fewer players worrying about making the Pro Bowl and getting individual honors and more guys putting the team first. I know on defense, that is a big part of what is transpiring. Everybody gets a turn to make a play. Just do your job and your time comes."

© 2009 All Rights Reserved. © 2009 AOL LLC. All rights Reserved.