PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen on Marshall getting a raise

broncofaninfla
10-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Steve Wyche (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/steve-wyche/)
Broncos’ Bowlen heaps praise on Marshall, McDaniels (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/13/broncos-bowlen-heaps-praise-on-marshall-mcdaniels/)

Posted: October 13th, 2009 | Steve Wyche |

BOSTON — Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Josh McDaniels is maturing into the head coach he expected him to be and that WR Brandon Marshall is playing himself into a “significant raise.”
“Brandon understands that he’s got a year left on his present deal, but if he keeps playing the way he is, he’s going to get a very significant raise — a much better contract,” Bowlen said Tuesday at the NFL Fall League Meeting. “That’s the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that.”
Marshall, who asked to be traded and later was suspended because of insubordinate behavior at a preseason practice, has played well the past two weeks for the 5-0 Broncos. At least publicly, Marshall has shown a more amicable attitude toward McDaniels after a contentious offseason.
As for McDaniels and his team’s hot start, Bowlen said, “Things couldn’t be any better.”
Bowlen went on: “We took some early criticism hiring a young coach — he was 32 years old at the time — and were questioned about what he was going to be able to do. He’s been terrific. It’s been extremely important as we got into the process of him being a head coach, that the way he’s handled particular situations was well beyond his years. He’s proven he is ready.”
Bowlen singled out the way McDaniels singularly absorbed the criticism for trading Pro Bowl QB Jay Cutler to the Bears in exchange for Kyle Orton and draft picks, although it was an organizational decision.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/13/broncos-bowlen-heaps-praise-on-marshall-mcdaniels/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/13/broncos-bowlen-heaps-praise-on-marshall-mcdaniels/)

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
It is not only apparent that Brandon now wants to be a part of the Broncos, but what also makes me feel great, is that Brandon wants to be a part of the community - i.e. he is going to work with Rev. Kelly to try to keep kids off the street, out of trouble, etc., and after the NE game, when Tiki Barber interviewed Brandon, he was sporting a Rockies' jersey and a Rockies' batting helmet. That is GREAT that Brandon also wants to be part of the community.

NightTrainLayne
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Bowlen singled out the way McDaniels singularly absorbed the criticism for trading Pro Bowl QB Jay Cutler to the Bears in exchange for Kyle Orton and draft picks, although it was an organizational decision.

Interesting.

I surmised months ago that Josh was being a team-player himself and taking the heat. . .Now Bowlen says the same. Not that I'm some great prognosticator, but that is just the way Bellichick, and the Patriots handle stuff like that. In house, with little if no finger-pointing when a problem comes up.

McD took the heat, even though it wasn't totally his decision, because to do otherwise would be to bring down the whole organization.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I know that when Shanahan was fired, a few were elated, but I am sure there were many more like me - totally shocked, and surprised. At that time, I thought about all of the good things that had happened under Shanahan here, and I did not think that Pat Bowlen could come up with someone who could equal the "good times". But the more I see Coach McDaniels on and off the field, read/hear things about him - I am totally convinced that Pat selected the PERFECT head coach for the Broncos - today - tomorrow - and for many years.

Zweems56
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Interesting.

I surmised months ago that Josh was being a team-player himself and taking the heat. . .Now Bowlen says the same. Not that I'm some great prognosticator, but that is just the way Bellichick, and the Patriots handle stuff like that. In house, with little if no finger-pointing when a problem comes up.

McD took the heat, even though it wasn't totally his decision, because to do otherwise would be to bring down the whole organization.

From Aesop's "The Mice in Council"

LONG ago, the mice had a general council to consider what measures they could take to outwit their common enemy, the Cat. Some said this, and some said that; but at last a young mouse got up and said he had a proposal to make, which he thought would meet the case. “You will all agree,” said he, “that our chief danger consists in the sly and treacherous manner in which the enemy approaches us. Now, if we could receive some signal of her approach, we could easily escape from her. I venture, therefore, to propose that a small bell be procured, and attached by a ribbon round the neck of the Cat. By this means we should always know when she was about, and could easily retire while she was in the neighbourhood.” This proposal met with general applause, until an old mouse got up and said: “That is all very well, but who is to bell the Cat?” The mice looked at one another and nobody spoke. Then the old mouse said: “IT IS EASY TO PROPOSE IMPOSSIBLE REMEDIES.

Coach stepped up and put the bell on the cat. You have to respect him for that.

SOCALORADO.
10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
It is not only apparent that Brandon now wants to be a part of the Broncos, but what also makes me feel great, is that Brandon wants to be a part of the community - i.e. he is going to work with Rev. Kelly to try to keep kids off the street, out of trouble, etc., and after the NE game, when Tiki Barber interviewed Brandon, he was sporting a Rockies' jersey and a Rockies' batting helmet. That is GREAT that Brandon also wants to be part of the community.

WINNER! Great post! and great news about brandon, who has been a total @$$Clown off the field. I think Rod Smith also has had a little to do with his attitude as well, i hope!

titan
10-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I know that when Shanahan was fired, a few were elated, but I am sure there were many more like me - totally shocked, and surprised. At that time, I thought about all of the good things that had happened under Shanahan here, and I did not think that Pat Bowlen could come up with someone who could equal the "good times". But the more I see Coach McDaniels on and off the field, read/hear things about him - I am totally convinced that Pat selected the PERFECT head coach for the Broncos - today - tomorrow - and for many years.

I'm with you Carol. On another bronco bulletin board I wrote it was "ridiculous" to consider firing Shanahan after the season, and I was shocked Bowlen did.

I wasn't a McDaniels basher like many fans (even with the Cutler mess) - I wanted to see what McDaniels could do. McDaniels has turned out to be a better coach than I could have ever hoped for. Bowlen really did know what he was doing in making the change.

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Did you all see Smith jump in and clowned with Marshall in his interview? I think as I said back when the "Conference call" happened with Sharpe and Smith..that Smith should get an honory MVP!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Did you all see Smith jump in and clowned with Marshall in his interview? I think as I said back when the "Conference call" happened with Sharpe and Smith..that Smith should get an honory MVP!

I did not see that - is there a video, as I would love to see it.

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I did not see that - is there a video, as I would love to see it.

post game interview with Marshall on the Broncos website. He's wearing a Rockies cap with a too small Rockies Batting helmet on..and Rod Smith comes in and messes with him a little bit and they clown for a second and then Brandon goes back to the questions!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
post game interview with Marshall on the Broncos website. He's wearing a Rockies cap with a too small Rockies Batting helmet on..and Rod Smith comes in and messes with him a little bit and they clown for a second and then Brandon goes back to the questions!

Great interview - Rod comes in and puts his arm around Brandon, and Brandon says "my mentor".

Another thing I really liked Brandon saying in regards to a question - "we just need to continue being a family"

Many great post game videos on there.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/ under video & audio

dogfish
10-13-2009, 05:35 PM
good news. . . as long as we can keep him on the field, he's a bigtime impact player. . . not only does the guy consistently put up numbers, but he's also capable of making gamechanging plays like the one against dallas. . . and i suspect that with some proper playcalling, we're going to see his touchdown numbers bump up to match the rest of his stats, and put him squarely into that top notch number one receiver category. . .

i just hope they don't forget about doom. . .

i got a laugh out of this:

Bowlen went on: “We took some early criticism hiring a young coach — he was 32 years old at the time — and were questioned about what he was going to be able to do. He’s been terrific. It’s been extremely important as we got into the process of him being a head coach, that the way he’s handled particular situations was well beyond his years. He’s proven he is ready.”

translation: better him than me-- that's why i'm paying him the big bucks. . . . :laugh:

Shazam!
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Great artice.

I just can't understand why people were surprised, shocked, and just couldn't believe Shanny would be fired. He turned the Broncos into a trainwreck and a literal League-wide embarassment with the Defense and the epic collapse last season after two years of mediocrity. C'mon now. 96-98 was a long time ago.

Day1BroncoFan
10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Does anyone reading this get the feeling Marshall may be staying around for the duration and taking on a more "Smith" like roll? Is it just me that thinks that?

Since the beginning of the season Marshall has done a complete 180.

Cugel
10-14-2009, 12:09 AM

It was time for Shanahan to go. Period. :coffee:

There's only so long you can rest on your SB laurels from 10 years ago.

He refused to correct the defensive problems for over 5 years and relied upon cast-off FAs to fill in. Just think of all the players he brought in and how badly they fared:

The Browncos, Ebeneezer Ekuban, John Engleberger, Amon Gordon, Antwon Burton, Jimmy Kennedy, Sam Adams, Simeon Rice, DeWayne Robertson -- and that's JUST defensive linemen!

If you throw in high-priced FA busts like Travis Henry, Nikko Koutivides, and DeWayne Robertson, plus head scratchers that fall under the category of "why is this guy even in the NFL?": (Marlon McCree, Marquand Manuel, Nate Webster), plus endless drafting failures with first and second round picks: (Paul Toviesi, Willie Middlebrooks, Tatum Bell, George Foster, Ashlie Lelie, Terry Pierce, Darius Watts, Jarvis Moss, and Tim Crowder), it's a wonder he lasted as long as he did.

Shanahan is a great coach, but a poor personnel manager. He got lucky with some offensive draft picks and made some selections in the 4th round that panned out: Elvis Dumervil, and Brandon Marshall.

But, all the failures listed above meant that personnel-wise he didn't have the players to win.

Mike Nolan came in and revamped the defense, and he and McDaniels got some FA';

broncofaninfla
10-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Brandon Marshall could be in line for a "very significant raise" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/14/brandon-marshall-could-be-in-line-for-a-very-significant-raise/)

Posted by Mike Florio on October 14, 2009 9:28 AM ET
In little more than a month, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall has transformed his career in stunning fashion. The injuries have healed and, more importantly, the stick has been removed from his hind quarters.
After a suspension for conduct detrimental to the team, Marshall returned in early September with a new attitude. He has since flourished in coach Josh McDaniels' new offense, and owner Pat Bowlen has noticed.
"Brandon understands that he's got a year left on his present deal, but if he keeps playing the way he is, he's going to get a very significant raise (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/13/broncos-bowlen-heaps-praise-on-marshall-mcdaniels/) -- a much better contract," Bowlen said Tuesday, according to Steve Wyche of NFL.com. "That's the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that."
Marshall's rookie deal expires after the 2009 season. Absent a new labor agreement, he'll be eligible for restricted free agency only, so he'll necessarily have less leverage than if he were poised to be unrestricted.
Then again, the Broncos might not want to risk another team grabbing Marshall and gladly surrendering a first-round and a third-round draft pick, which is the maximum compensation for a restricted free agent who changes teams. So the Broncos could still chose to apply the franchise tag to Marshall, which would increase the compensation to two first-round picks, if the Broncos were to choose not to match an offer sheet that Marshall signs with another franchise.
The difference between the highest restricted free agency tender and the one-year franchise salary for receivers will be dramatic -- likely more than $7 million. In the end, however, Marshall will likely come away with a multi-year deal in the neighborhood currently occupied by the likes of Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss, with an average payout of $9 million or $10 million per year.
The smart move for the Broncos could be to try to get Marshall locked up for the long haul during the 2009 season, since the air of excitement and man hugs in the Rocky Mountains. Indeed, he might be willing to take less money now, when he's in the middle of an unexpectedly magical run of team and individual success, than when he's away from the team and thinking about market value and whether his contract is sufficient large in comparison to the deals given to other high-end wideouts.

Bronco Warrior
10-14-2009, 09:41 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=104&pictureid=900

Pay That man!!! His new nick should be "B Money"

Bronco Bible
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Got my fingers & toes crossed on tha that one.:salute::defense: