PDA

View Full Version : Even though we won in OT, I still hate OT in the NFL.

LoyalSoldier
10-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I think here is my annual rant about OT in the NFL. I am happy we won against a good team, but again here was another case of a team getting the ball first and ending the game before the other offense can step on the field.

Say what you want about the college system, but it seems to work much better. I would be in favor of a more AFL/old NFL-E style where each team is guaranteed at least one possession and after that it goes into sudden death OT. That way if a team scores the other team gets the ball and in the event they score they have the choice to go for 2 or trust their defense.

Day1BroncoFan
10-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing until we won. :D

Seriously, I think it should be at least one possesion for each team in overtime.

honz
10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I agree 100%...unless we happen to win the coin toss, then the rules are perfect! ;)

Seriously though, I agree. Both teams should get a chance to score in OT. No hard fought game should come down to the luck of a coin toss.

T.K.O.
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
considering the broncos did'nt give up a 3rd down conversion let alone any points in the 2nd half.....we did'nt need the ball first anyway !:D
the coin toss just saved the pats more embarrassment !:laugh:

Lonestar
10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
the Pats defense had a bunch of chances to stop us from scoring.. they did not.. I don't want to see any changes in the rules for the chance of "losing" a coin toss..

normally the better team wins one way or the other.. having players play to see if they can match a score is just putting the players at more risk for injury..

Day1BroncoFan
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
the Pats defense had a bunch of chances to stop us from scoring.. they did not.. I don't want to see any changes in the rules for the chance of "losing" a coin toss..

normally the better team wins one way or the other.. having players play to see if they can match a score is just putting the players at more risk for injury..

That's the other side of the coin so to speak. I would hate one of our players to get injured. Maybe they should let the players and coaches vote on it.

TXBRONC
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
LS I under what you're saying but I don't see any unfair how overtime works. The Patriots defense had a fair shot at stopping our offense they failed to do so.

Dortoh
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Well seeing how this caused Tommy to lose his first ever OT game I'm sure the league rules committee is working on this problem as we speak.

titan
10-13-2009, 03:35 PM
One thing I don't like about the college system is that whenever a game goes into overtime the player's stats are inflated (especially if it goes a few rounds with each team scoring). A quarterback sometimes has just as many td passes in college overtime as he does for the entire regulation game.

The NFL system isn't perfect but I don't think the Patriots were doomed once the Broncos won the toss. The Pats stopped us two times in the last four minutes on drives with better field position than the overtime drive:

3:49 to go Denver gets ball on own 26, gains 6 yards in 3 plays, punts

1:37 to go Denver gets ball on own 45, loses 5 yards in 3 plays, punts

In overtime:

Denver gets ball on its own 20, drives 58 yards for the winning field goal

If New England plays defense like it did in the waning minutes of the 4th quarter, they get the ball back in overtime with a chance to win the game.

====

Also, you know I have to go back to Bronco history. In AFC Championship "The Drive" game Cleveland won the overtime coin toss, the Broncos stopped the Browns, then got the ball for the winning field goal drive.

LoyalSoldier
10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
LS I under what you're saying but I don't see any unfair how overtime works. The Patriots defense had fair shot at stopping our offense they failed to do so.

The thing is though it makes a touchdown worthless. It all becomes about who can kick the first field goal. The reason I like the college system is the touchdown becomes important again. It makes it much more enjoyable to watch.

TXBRONC
10-13-2009, 03:52 PM
The thing is though it makes a touchdown worthless. It all becomes about who can kick the first field goal. The reason I like the college system is the touchdown becomes important again. It makes it much more enjoyable to watch.

Ok I respect your views on this but for me it wouldn't have made the game more enjoyable.

weazel
10-13-2009, 04:47 PM
agreed... OT in the NFL sucks...

Nomad
10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I was thinking the same thing until we won. :D

Seriously, I think it should be at least one possesion for each team in overtime.

If this is the case, eliminate FGs in overtime and only 2 point conversions after a TD!!

EMB6903
10-13-2009, 05:01 PM
put them on the opponent 25 and each let them get a chance offensively? Ya college ot is a joke....sudden death is the way it should be.

LoyalSoldier
10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
put them on the opponent 25 and each let them get a chance offensively? Ya college ot is a joke....sudden death is the way it should be.

It doesn't have to be the college system. There are other ways like just giving the other team a chance to respond after a TD and then going into sudden death.

Shazam!
10-13-2009, 09:11 PM
The relief for me came when Denver won the toss. If NE won the flip, they'd have won.

Something should be done about this, a whole full quarter. Then if it's till tied, it's a Tie.

nevcraw
10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
I say go with the XFL move..

each team chooses a player to run to the middle fiield to fight for the control of the ball. Mano Y Mano. No coin toss. Then it's goes into sudden death..
How sick would that be!!!

Shazam!
10-13-2009, 09:21 PM
IIRC, on the very first play of the XFL, a player seperated his shoulder fighting for the ball.

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Well seeing how this caused Tommy to lose his first ever OT game I'm sure the league rules committee is working on this problem as we speak.

Remember when it happens that you heard it here first lol! I would actually like to see how many times the team wins on the first fdrive. If it happens, it usually like we did..dominate the team on Defense trying to stop us all the way down the feild!

Funny Pat "Bronco Hater" Kirwin showed his colors yesterday on NFL.Com by saying he didn't like the OT rules cause he wanted to see Tamm Lady drive back down the field for a TD and a win!!

I say it aint broke don't fix it!

gregbroncs
10-14-2009, 07:15 AM
I hate the NFL overtime rule. Just the fact the stats show that the coin toss decides more than statistical anomalies can account for shows that the OT in the NFL is a joke.

The college system is not perfect but it is 100X better than the current NFL system. I like that system it is much more exciting than the NFL where all they do is position for a FG. I would be for an NFL system where they take turns from the 50 instead of the 25 like college. That way a TD is earned and a FG is not automatic for the superior NFL athletes. I also have no problem with Loyalsoldier's idea about each team with one possession and then sudden death. Either way the NFL system is not fair it is decided by a coin flip way more than it should be.