PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 Power Rankings

CoachChaz
10-13-2009, 08:17 AM
32. St. Louis (0-5) – Still cant figure out how Spagnuolo would have been a better option

31. Tampa Bay (0-5) – …and then there were some that preferred Morris over McDaniels

30. Oakland (1-4) – Let the death of a franchise continue

29. Cleveland (1-4) – Quite possibly the ugliest win ever.

28. Kansas City (0-5) – If the offense could stay on the field for a few seconds…the defense could be decent

27. Washington (2-3) – Interesting fact. When they line up against the Chiefs this week, they will have played a winless team EVERY week so far this season.

26. Detroit (1-4) – They look better each week.

25. Buffalo (1-4) – UGLY loss to a bad team

24. Carolina (1-3) – Playing Washington was a much needed shot in the arm

23. Tennessee (0-5) – The magic of Collins is apparently gone

22. Miami (2-3) – Maybe turning things around now?.

21. Seattle (2-3) – Looks like the team some thought they’d be.

20. Cincinnati (4-1) – At some point this team might earn my respect…just hasn’t happened yet.
Just kidding King…keep reading.

20. Jacksonville (2-3) – Just when you think they are on a roll…

19. Houston (2-3) – The definition of consistent mediocrity

18. San Francisco (3-2) – Proving once a gain they aren’t as good as some believed

17. Arizona (2-2) – Nice to see them win a game because of the defense.

16. Dallas (3-2) – A win is a win, but there isn’t much they can take from their last one

15. Green Bay (2-2) – BYE week

14. Chicago (3-1) – BYE week

13. NY Jets (3-2) – Back to reality? Defense has not looked good lately

12. San Diego (2-2) – They HAVE to win on Monday. Simple

11. Baltimore (3-2) – Starting to look exposed…still NO offense

10. New England (3-2) – Another unimpressive performance. Looks like the Patriot magic is dwindling.

9. Cincinnati (4-1) – Very nice win. Looks like they may finally be living up to their talent…but putting them at #7 just isn’t an option yet.

8. Atlanta (3-1) – Looked very strong after a week off

7. Denver (5-0) – Hard not to believe in them. That schedule doesn’t look as fearsome as it did a few weeks ago.

6. Pittsburgh (3-2) – Not an impressive win yet this season…but it’s hard to doubt them in any game

5. Philadelphia (3-1) – McNabb comes back and looks really good in the process

4. Indianapolis (5-0) – Peyton is a God…just ask NFL referees

3. New Orleans (4-0) – BYE week

2. NY Giants (5-0) – Really seem to be improving and getting healthier every week

1. Minnesota (5-0) – The “experts” keep telling me I have the Vikes overrated…but the team keeps proving me right.

frenchfan
10-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Well... Really it's hard to complain about this ranking...

Now that we have been tested at least twice (3 if you include Bengals which prove they are a good team too), I think we deserve the top 10. Things are not granted but it's clear we are really better now that many teams in the NFL... Hard to believe if you were listening to experts and many people...

BTW, I'm a bit fed up to keep hearing that we were lucky to win against the Bengals, that Dallas is overrated and that Brady had his worst game against us... I tell you that, we shouldn't have let the Bengals an opportunity to win the game (no sack and a FG would have meant 9-0 and a very probable win).
Dallas is not as good as expected but is still a good NFL team... No more a top 10, but you have to play it anyway...
Same about NE... Sure, Brady wasn't at his best, but you can give at least some credit to Broncos D.

#1 spot is always debatable IMO... Vikes O can scared many D... But I'm not solved on their D... I watched them against the Packs and well... there were the sacks... But Packs' OL was missing some players and wasn't impressive IMO. I guess Allen & co would have more problems against better OL (such as ours). And they gave up points and yards despite the sacks...
But on potential, I would agree they are #1 yet.
I like Giants... I think Eli is a very good QB who knows how to win... less talented than his brother, but better when it comes to win big games IMO (or at least as good). Eli has found a WR who can catch... Good news because they could use their running game and mix with passes... Giants D is something like a tradition... They know how to run a D IMO...

Coach, just a question... NFC is 4-1 in the top 5... Do you believe that NFC is getting better than AFC now?

Good job :salute: :beer:

CoachChaz
10-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Well... Really it's hard to complain about this ranking...

Now that we have been tested at least twice (3 if you include Bengals which prove they are a good team too), I think we deserve the top 10. Things are not granted but it's clear we are really better now that many teams in the NFL... Hard to believe if you were listening to experts and many people...

BTW, I'm a bit fed up to keep hearing that we were lucky to win against the Bengals, that Dallas is overrated and that Brady had his worst game against us... I tell you that, we shouldn't have let the Bengals an opportunity to win the game (no sack and a FG would have meant 9-0 and a very probable win).
Dallas is not as good as expected but is still a good NFL team... No more a top 10, but you have to play it anyway...
Same about NE... Sure, Brady wasn't at his best, but you can give at least some credit to Broncos D.

#1 spot is always debatable IMO... Vikes O can scared many D... But I'm not solved on their D... I watched them against the Packs and well... there were the sacks... But Packs' OL was missing some players and wasn't impressive IMO. I guess Allen & co would have more problems against better OL (such as ours). And they gave up points and yards despite the sacks...
But on potential, I would agree they are #1 yet.
I like Giants... I think Eli is a very good QB who knows how to win... less talented than his brother, but better when it comes to win big games IMO (or at least as good). Eli has found a WR who can catch... Good news because they could use their running game and mix with passes... Giants D is something like a tradition... They know how to run a D IMO...

Coach, just a question... NFC is 4-1 in the top 5... Do you believe that NFC is getting better than AFC now?

Good job :salute: :beer:

First and foremost, I hear what the "experts" say...I just dont base my stuff on that.

As far as the NFC being better than the AFC...I think collectively...yes. A one dimensional 9-7 team almost beat the mighty Steelers in the Super Bowl last year. Are the Colts, Broncos, Steelers, Pats, Chargers on the same level as the Giants, Vikes, Eagles, Saints? On paper, the answer has to be no. So we'll see how it pans out when they play the games.

KCL
10-13-2009, 10:18 AM
You're right about KC chaz...this is what I have been saying as well...the O is letting the D down.

UnderArmour
10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Pitt at 6? What the hell are you talking about? They almost lost to the Lions, Chargers, and Titans(who are overrated on your power rankings too) and blew it in the 4th quarter against Bengals and Bears. No way they should be above the Bears or the Bengals, much less the Broncos, Falcons, or even New England who beat the Falcons. The Steelers just aren't that great this year.

CoachChaz
10-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Pitt at 6? What the hell are you talking about? They almost lost to the Lions, Chargers, and Titans(who are overrated on your power rankings too) and blew it in the 4th quarter against Bengals and Bears. No way they should be above the Bears or the Bengals, much less the Broncos, Falcons, or even New England who beat the Falcons. The Steelers just aren't that great this year.

Opinions and azzholes.

Poet
10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I still think we should be higher than Pittsburgh, but I don't think we are a better team than the Falcons.

Denver honestly could be ranked in 4th.

As usual, you destroy MY soul, but you did a good job.

Magnificent Seven
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Denver Broncos are ranked # 5 in ESPN's NFL Power Rankings.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

CoachChaz
10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I still think we should be higher than Pittsburgh, but I don't think we are a better team than the Falcons.

Denver honestly could be ranked in 4th.

As usual, you destroy MY soul, but you did a good job.

Then I succeeded at my task.

Trust me...I'd like to put Denver and Cincy ahead of Pittsburgh. but does 5 games prove one team is better than another? Even if Cincy were to beat MIN or NYG this week...does that make them #1?

Like I said...it all eventually changes.

Poet
10-13-2009, 03:45 PM

Trust me...I'd like to put Denver and Cincy ahead of Pittsburgh. but does 5 games prove one team is better than another? Even if Cincy were to beat MIN or NYG this week...does that make them #1?

Well, if Cincinnati beat the Vikings, I would honestly think that they would be the best team. At that point they just beat about half of the top ten teams, and then only lost to another elite team off of a Chris Crocker mistake. I know what you're saying, but in that scenario, I don't think anyone would really dispute it.

As far as Pittsburgh goes, as of right now they aren't playing better than Cincinnati. If I ask you what good team they beat, you couldn't give me one. If I asked you if they have shown the ability to win a close game against a good team, you couldn't give me any.

I really do like your style of making the lesser teams prove things, I get it, and that's how I would do it. However, and I do admit that we are talkinga bout my team here, I don't think Pittsburgh would have beaten us with Polamalu. I mean, if we give them Polamalu, then I think it's fair that our starting RG is in the game. Hell, I think at that point Chris Henry, a Steelers killer, no longer has a hurt quad.

All I'm saying is that there is not a single team in the NFL with as many real quality wins as Cincinnati, barring..well Denver. I don't think we would beat Philly, I don't think we would beat Denver right now, I think right now we would defeat Pittsburgh and I think we would beat up the Jets pretty bad.

Seven is a good spot for us, and while I still think Pittsburgh wins the division, right now there isn't a team in the AFC North that wants to play us.

No matter what Ray Lewis' punk ass says.

UnderArmour
10-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Opinions and azzholes.

Because disagreeing with you makes me an "azzhole". How mature. I remember why I stopped reading your power rankings last year, you again have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The Steelers have shown nothing through 5 games. Cincy has beaten every team in their division, including the Ravens and the Steelers, whom you have ranked higher than them. And the 49ers under the Cardinals? What? Oh well, I'm not being forced to read these. :coffee:

Poet
10-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Because disagreeing with you makes me an "azzhole". How mature. I remember why I stopped reading your power rankings last year, you again have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The Steelers have shown nothing through 5 games. Cincy has beaten every team in their division, including the Ravens and the Steelers, whom you have ranked higher than them. And the 49ers under the Cardinals? What? Oh well, I'm not being forced to read these. :coffee:

I don't think he was calling you an *******. The saying is "Opinions are like ********, everybody has one."

Look, there are times that Chaz's power rankings drives me insane, but there is always rhyme to his reason, and good rhyme to his reason.

He has a bit of emphasis of what you have done historically and recently. At the beginning of the year there are always hot teams, my Bengals, your Broncos, the 9ers, the Ravens, etc etc etc.

Then every year soem of those teams fall off and get replaced by the more established teams. Yeah, there will be teams who come out of th eblue, and Chaz admits it. However, when teams like Pittsburgh finish ahead of teams like Cincinnati (as much as I hate to say that), he's going to have the last laugh.

Everything is subjective, to me there isn't a better team in the NFL than the Giants. I think Minnesota is going overrated and Baltimore will put them back down to earth. I think the Saints are an offensive juggernaut that will end up being one and done in the playoffs. I think that the Eagles are a bit overrated but are built for the playoffs.

I base a lot of my feelings on the premise that the AFC is better than the NFC by a good chunk. I've felt that way for years. That will affect my rankings. It's an imperfect science and Chaz does it as well as anyone.

Hell, that ESPN link you gave him had THREE different sportswriters balancing out their rankings. What's that tell you?

milehigh
10-14-2009, 01:18 AM

Power Rankings should be based on what that particular team has accomplished at that point in the season. They aren't based on last year and certainly shouldn't be used as where you think they might end up in the future because that is obviously subjective. Atleast that was always how I saw it.

CoachChaz
10-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Well, if Cincinnati beat the Vikings, I would honestly think that they would be the best team. At that point they just beat about half of the top ten teams, and then only lost to another elite team off of a Chris Crocker mistake. I know what you're saying, but in that scenario, I don't think anyone would really dispute it.

As far as Pittsburgh goes, as of right now they aren't playing better than Cincinnati. If I ask you what good team they beat, you couldn't give me one. If I asked you if they have shown the ability to win a close game against a good team, you couldn't give me any.

I really do like your style of making the lesser teams prove things, I get it, and that's how I would do it. However, and I do admit that we are talkinga bout my team here, I don't think Pittsburgh would have beaten us with Polamalu. I mean, if we give them Polamalu, then I think it's fair that our starting RG is in the game. Hell, I think at that point Chris Henry, a Steelers killer, no longer has a hurt quad.

All I'm saying is that there is not a single team in the NFL with as many quality wins as Cincinnati right now. I don't think we would beat Philly, I don't think we would beat Denver right now, I think right now we would defeat Pittsburgh and I think we would beat up the Jets pretty bad.

Seven is a good spot for us, and while I still think Pittsburgh wins the division, right now there isn't a team in the AFC North that wants to play us.

No matter what Ray Lewis' punk ass says.

Look at it from the NCAA perspective. South Florida is #21 and Cincinnati is #8. If USF beats Cincy tonight, do you think USF climbs up to #8...or Cincy drops to #21? Not likely.

Same philosophy. If Minnesota loses a game...sure...they'll drop out of the #1 spot. But they wont be replaced by the team that beat them and probably wont drop lower than the team that beat them. Like I said...Arizona lost 7 games last year and still came within one play of earning a #1 Power Ranking. Does that mean they were the best team in ALL of the NFL? No. Just means they won the right games at the right time.

CoachChaz
10-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Power Rankings should be based on what that particular team has accomplished at that point in the season. They aren't based on last year and certainly shouldn't be used as where you think they might end up in the future because that is obviously subjective. Atleast that was always how I saw it.

I'm not sitting here saying Pittsburgh is a top team because they have 6 rings...I'm saying they are a very good team that will be one of the best in the end becasue they prove it over and over again. if they end up losing 10 games, it will push them down further. but why put a very good team at the bottom...only to move them right back up in a week or two.

We all know who the better teams are in the NFL. Right or wrong, they have to prove they suck and the rest have to prove they dont.

Poet
10-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Look at it from the NCAA perspective. South Florida is #21 and Cincinnati is #8. If USF beats Cincy tonight, do you think USF climbs up to #8...or Cincy drops to #21? Not likely.

Same philosophy. If Minnesota loses a game...sure...they'll drop out of the #1 spot. But they wont be replaced by the team that beat them and probably wont drop lower than the team that beat them. Like I said...Arizona lost 7 games last year and still came within one play of earning a #1 Power Ranking. Does that mean they were the best team in ALL of the NFL? No. Just means they won the right games at the right time.

Fair enough. All I know is that for weeks you disrespected my Bengals.

It's cause you're a terrible human being and you kick puppies.

CoachChaz
10-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Fair enough. All I know is that for weeks you disrespected my Bengals.

It's cause you're a terrible human being and you kick puppies.

There is a fine line between disrespecting a team and waiting for them to earn my respect. I have them top 10 now...looks like they are beginning to earn it. Now...if they lay an egg against Houston...

Poet
10-14-2009, 09:58 AM
There is a fine line between disrespecting a team and waiting for them to earn my respect. I have them top 10 now...looks like they are beginning to earn it. Now...if they lay an egg against Houston...

It's actually a scarier game to me than Baltimore was. Palmer historically owns Baltimore, mainly because their exotic blitzes are normal to him. He goes against them and Pittsburgh every year, there's only so many things you can do with a LB before it just comes down to execution.

The Texans are the type of team that just randomly explode on someone. If you make a dumb turnover or special teams play they can just take off running. It's their inconsistencies and lack of focus that kills them.

Honestly, they're a carbon copy of the 2006 and 2007 Cincinnati teams.

CoachChaz
10-14-2009, 10:25 AM
It's actually a scarier game to me than Baltimore was. Palmer historically owns Baltimore, mainly because their exotic blitzes are normal to him. He goes against them and Pittsburgh every year, there's only so many things you can do with a LB before it just comes down to execution.

The Texans are the type of team that just randomly explode on someone. If you make a dumb turnover or special teams play they can just take off running. It's their inconsistencies and lack of focus that kills them.

Honestly, they're a carbon copy of the 2006 and 2007 Cincinnati teams.

Makes sense to me. All reasons why I hesitate to put Cincy and Denver so high. There is alot that can go wrong in a short amount of time and alot that can cement their spots. Time will tell.

Poet
10-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Makes sense to me. All reasons why I hesitate to put Cincy and Denver so high. There is alot that can go wrong in a short amount of time and alot that can cement their spots. Time will tell.

15-1. /ninja

CoachChaz
10-14-2009, 11:34 AM
15-1. /ninja

Bears, Ravens, Steelers, Vikings, Chargers, Jets...

...I can see 9 or 10 wins...but 15?

Poet
10-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Bears, Ravens, Steelers, Vikings, Chargers, Jets...

...I can see 9 or 10 wins...but 15?

ninja is typically an internet thing that shows you're kidding.

I think that we're in line for 10 to 11 wins this year. I know we will drop a game that we should win, and I also know that we aren't going to sweep both Baltimore AND Pittsburgh. If I had to guess I think we'll end up sweeping Baltimore because their secondary is seriously pathetic. Watching Foxworth play cornerback is like watching two retards make love to a doorknob.

slim
10-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Dude, you are wrong (and you are an *******).

Zweems56
10-15-2009, 11:40 PM

Apparently you've never heard the phrase "opinions are like ********. Everyone has one, and they all stink." He wasn't calling you an *******. He's saying that people have differing opinions.

slim
10-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Apparently you've never heard the phrase "opinions are like ********. Everyone has one, and they all stink." He wasn't calling you an *******. He's saying that people have differing opinions.

Zeems, don't mess with guy. He will put you in your place faster than you can say noodledick.

CoachChaz
10-16-2009, 08:12 AM
The way I see it...he can sign up to be a Forums writer and do his own if he wants. I dont think it can be denied that the Steelers have 2 losses SOLELY due to the absence of Troy P. His bacjups got completely exposed in the Bears and Bengals games and while I know one player doesnt make a team...I believe Troy makes plays on both TD passes that cost those games.

Sorry...but overall...Pittsburgh is still an elite NFL team.

Poet
10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
The way I see it...he can sign up to be a Forums writer and do his own if he wants. I dont think it can be denied that the Steelers have 2 losses SOLELY due to the absence of Troy P. His bacjups got completely exposed in the Bears and Bengals games and while I know one player doesnt make a team...I believe Troy makes plays on both TD passes that cost those games.

Sorry...but overall...Pittsburgh is still an elite NFL team.

They didn't lose to Cincinnati soley because of Troy P being out. And Cutler threw that ball far too fast for any player to do anything about it.

weazel
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Oakland HAS to be at the bottom. That team is horrible and teams dont even have to prepare for them anymore. Players have been quoted as saying the game against them was a scrimmage!

Dreadnought
10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Oakland HAS to be at the bottom. That team is horrible and teams dont even have to prepare for them anymore. Players have been quoted as saying the game against them was a scrimmage!

In any normal year yes - but have you watched a Rams game?! Good Lord they are pitiable. I actually think the 08 Lions might have beaten that team

NightTrainLayne
10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Whatever happened to parity? :D

There are some absolutely HORRID teams in the NFL this season.

Dreadnought
10-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Whatever happened to parity? :D

There are some absolutely HORRID teams in the NFL this season.

Agreed. The Rams, Browns, and Raiders can all legitimately be considered the worst team in the League - and the Chiefs and Bills share the disgrace of losing to two of those so what does that say? And that doesn't even raise the issue of the rancid Buc's. I think the bottom five or so are harder to pick in order than the top 5.

NightTrainLayne
10-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Agreed. The Rams, Browns, and Raiders can all legitimately be considered the worst team in the League - and the Chiefs and Bills share the disgrace of losing to two of those so what does that say? And that doesn't even raise the issue of the rancid Buc's. I think the bottom five or so are harder to pick in order than the top 5.

I thank God for Pat Bowlen.

MHCBill
10-18-2009, 07:54 PM
I wonder if the overrated Eagles will still be in the top 10...

Bronco Bible
10-19-2009, 06:51 AM

Not a Raturd fan in any way, but it looks like Philidelphia took that advice.

CoachChaz
10-19-2009, 07:14 AM
I wonder if the overrated Eagles will still be in the top 10...

I may do it just to make you happy

CoachChaz
10-19-2009, 07:16 AM

Bumped for King

claymore
10-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Bumped for King

He is probably hurting this morning. The loss, and Odem is out for the year. :cry:

CoachChaz
10-19-2009, 07:21 AM
He is probably hurting this morning. The loss, and Odem is out for the year. :cry:

Yeah...My guess is if we lost to KC and lost Doom for the year...we'd all feel the same way

claymore
10-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Yeah...My guess is if we lost to KC and lost Doom for the year...we'd all feel the same way

That was my same thought. Poor guy.

Poet
10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Bumped for King

That's fine, we're still a top ten team. Philly lost to Oakland, are they out of the top ten?

Exactly how much can you really punish the Bengals for having one bad loss when for weeks so many of the teams you had ahead of us either lost to us or had a worse loss?

Dreadnought
10-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Now my question for Coach - where the Hell do you rate Tennessee? They don't have bottom feeder talent, but their lack of guts and determination this year is pretty amazing. Hard to quantify that.

CoachChaz
10-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Now my question for Coach - where the Hell do you rate Tennessee? They don't have bottom feeder talent, but their lack of guts and determination this year is pretty amazing. Hard to quantify that.

Good question. There are a few that have me perplexed. New one will be out today