PDA

View Full Version : The lamest penalty of all...

EastCoastBronco
10-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Spot of the foul pass interference.

Honest to freaking god. If I see one more game made closer than it has a right to be because of a spot of the foul pass interference call I am going to lose it. I was having a great time watching that game last night up until that horrible call against Miami late in the 4th. A 45 yard freebie for the Jets and damn near a game winner of a call. Bullshit, I say.
This rule needs to be changed. In a hurry. It is a holdover from a bygone era and it needs modification. Turn it into a 15 yarder. Turn it into an automatic first down. But please get rid of this "spot of the foul" bullshit. How many teams do you see every week throw up a desperation 50 yard bomb in the hopes of catching one these gifts. Hell, Pittsburgh "goes fishing" at the end of every game where they trail at the end...It never fails.

Sound off on this if you feel the need....

CoachChaz
10-13-2009, 07:16 AM
I agree. Adopt the NCAA version of this rule. The only drawback is that every DB in the league...once they are beaten past 15 yards...will automatically maul the receiver. I know I would.

Nevertheless...i agree. The only penalty that drives me up a wall more is when a RB males a 20 yard run going off the right tackle and up the right sideline and it gets called back because the receiver on the far left side of the field grabbed the DB's jersey.

EastCoastBronco
10-13-2009, 07:22 AM
I agree about the drawback but the way it is now it assumes that that the receiver would have made the catch and the yards are awarded automatically. A 15 yard penalty would suffice I think because not too many db's would want to come back to the sidelines after 2-3 15 yard pass interference calls in a row...;-)

Dirk
10-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Yeah that's a tough pill to swallow at times. I also think they should change offensive holding to 5 yards instead of 10.

Overtime
10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
it is what it is.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I like it. If it doesn't exist, it gives a DB an excuse to rape a WR at any point past 15 yards w/ nothing to worry about.

Zweems56
10-13-2009, 09:48 AM
I like it. If it doesn't exist, it gives a DB an excuse to rape a WR at any point past 15 yards w/ nothing to worry about.

Agreed 100%. There has to be a way to get calls right in crucial parts of the game like the Braylon Edwards PI call on the 2. Clearly not PI, but looks it from a ref who is facing the players backs.

EastCoastBronco
10-13-2009, 09:55 AM
I guess I'm just old school. I believe in earning your yards, not fishing for them.

KCL
10-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah that's a tough pill to swallow at times. I also think they should change offensive holding to 5 yards instead of 10.

That holding call is a bitch!

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 10:33 AM
That holding call is a bitch!

You mean line holding or WR's that hold?

Line holding isn't called that much compared to how much it happens (M. Light :tsk:) so I'm good with the 10 yards it's flagrant at that point if it's called. If you went to a 5 yard penalty it would happen even more unless you tightened up and actually called it by the rule!

EastCoastBronco
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
You mean line holding or WR's that hold?

Line holding isn't called that much compared to how much it happens (M. Light :tsk:) so I'm good with the 10 yards it's flagrant at that point if it's called. If you went to a 5 yard penalty it would happen even more unless you tightened up and actually called it by the rule!

Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny during that game when they mentioned how nice a job Light was doing against Doom. They then proceeded to show a clip where Light was pretty much ripping Dooms pads off over top of his helmet. And the damn ref was right there. Man that guy is bad.

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny during that game when they mentioned how nice a job Light was doing against Doom. They then proceeded to show a clip where Light was pretty much ripping Dooms pads off over top of his helmet. And the damn ref was right there. Man that guy is bad.

Had that discussion on a different thread..even quoted the rule out of the book and you are the first to have noticed it on the Broadcast like I did!:salute:

EastCoastBronco
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Had that discussion on a different thread..even quoted the rule out of the book and you are the first to have noticed it on the Broadcast like I did!:salute:

I was watching for it because I had specifically mentioned it in the prediction thread. During the Atlanta/NE game in Foxboro, he held John Abraham like that every damn play and it only got called once.

MadMax
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I think a few broadcasters have proposed a tiered approach to pi like keep it the same for blatant pi, but make it 10 or 15 and a first down for the more closer calls. That way it prevents DBs from killing a reciever after they get beat more than 15 yards. It would also give the refs a compromise when they throw the flag and realize that it wasn't as obvious as they thought many pi calls I think could go either way and just hinge on whether or not a particular ref was feeling flag happy.

LRtagger
10-13-2009, 04:22 PM
It needs to be reviewable. Replay clearly showed that no contact was made.

I agree....I like the spot of the foul call because of what others have mentioned. A 15-yard penalty would give the CB an out if he gets beat. Imagine your WR beating a CB on the final play of the game and the CB intentionally pushes or trips the WR and he misses a sure TD pass....and the offense only gets 15 yards from it. At that point you are really penalizing the offense by taking away points and yards.

But I think the fluke PI calls should be reviewable. It is stupid that a team can gain 50 yards on a penalty that may or may not have happened. It is way too critical to not be reviewable.