PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Retro Consoles

Shazam!
10-13-2009, 01:41 AM
While I had an Atari 2600 back in the day, my true fledgling gamer days developed strongest in the third generation of home consoles, the 8 Bit era, and led into the 16s.

Mine would be the Sega Master System and the Turbografx 16.

Everyone had a Nintendo by 1987, but I had to drum to the different tune and got a SMS from Toys R Us.

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/classicgaming.gamespy.com/images/oldsite/clusterimages/smsp.jpg

While the SMS didnt have the huge success that the NES did, due largely to Nintendo's notorious licensing practices, they had a lot of great games with unique apps, like the Segascope 3D glasses. When friends came over, they had a different system & games to play, and I did when I was over their house too. Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy, Kenseiden, and some arcade ports are a few of the bright spots.

Same for the Turbografx 16, which went largely ignored in the US but was a hit in Japan, but was reduced to bargain bins in retailers everywhere here by 1992.

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/classicgaming.gamespy.com/images/oldsite/clusterimages/tg16.jpg

Everyone I knew had a Sega Genesis or later a Super Nintendo. The TG16 had some great games, and the first game that I could remember that had a parental advisory label for adult content in Splatterhouse (remake for PS3/360 coming soon). There were a lot of actioners, platformers and shooting games for the system, with series like Bonk, Legendary Axe and Super Star Soldier.

Then later on in the mid-90's, I purchased a system from an electronics manufacturer that was doomed for failure, because they too, like NEC, had no experience in the video game market. This was the Sony Playstation, and I was ridiculed for buying it. Ha ha.

I still have a working SMS and TG16 I bought. Play N' Trade sells some games on the cheap, so I was able to get a few.

Here's a site with some history of gaming consoles of yesteryear-
http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/

Which classic consoles are most dear to you?

ikillz0mbies
10-15-2009, 12:11 AM
For me, my very first game system and favorite retro console was the 16-bit Sega Genesis. I enjoyed the hell out of that thing. I grew up with my cousins, who were a bit older than me. When they didn't find time to play the Genesis anymore, they passed it on to me and I played the hell out of it, especially Mortal Kombat. My other favorite games for that system were Sonic the Hedgehog and Street Fighter. Unfortunately, I never enjoyed other classics like Earthworm Jim, Golden Axe, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors. If I still had my Genesis (I don't want to talk about what happened to it), I would definitely play the classic games that I missed out on......

Great, now I'm sad....see what you did Shazam. I hope you're happy.

Shazam!
10-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Sorry bro... You can always find a Genesis on the cheap. It's one of the more common retro consoles to buy. There is actually a growing collector's niche for classic consoles.

I had a Genesis in about 1991, but I don't know... to me it was like for every great game there were 10 that I thought were pure trash. Populous was one of my favorites, and I liked Buster Douglas Boxing, Strider, Robocop Vs. Terminator and Thunderforce 2. Swords of Vermillion and Phantasy Star II were awesome RPGs.

My Master System was the Sega machine I held most dear. I had over 30 games when I sold it when I got my Turbografx and a number of them I traded in over the years at a retailer that traded games before Funcoland was even a thought.

Silent Debuggers for the TG16 was the very first FPS I ever played.

I was able to pick up a complete TG16 from some guy on Craigslist and my gf got me a Master System for my birthday.

Here's a list of the games I have now-

SMS

Space Harrier
Thunder Blade
Afterburner
Rocky
Rambo II
Rambo III
Astro Warrior
Double Dragon
Time Soldiers
Black Belt
R Type

TG16-

Legendary Axe I-II
Bonk's Adventure
Bloody Wolf
Ninja Spirit
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (pack-in)

Dungeon Explorer and Vigilante are waiting for me at PnT and I am looking for Splatterhouse, Blazing Lazers, Super Star Soldier, Military Madness, R Type, and Chase HQ for the TG. Looking for Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy II-III for the SMS.

Ahhh. The good old days...

ikillz0mbies
10-15-2009, 01:13 AM
That is a great collection of games. I never really knew much about the TG16. I might look into getting another Genesis on the cheap. Maybe when I have the time, I should look into getting retro consoles and relive my past haha. Thanks for tickling my curiosity now.

Shazam!
10-15-2009, 02:12 AM
The Turbografx 16 debuted at $249 ($50 more than the Genesis) and was competitive for about a year in the US before it got totally smashed by the Genesis and later SNES. I knew of only two other people that had one in it's day. Games are like the size of a credit card. NEC was the first company to release a CD add-on, but by then it was too late for it here, it was way overpriced at $399 even though it came with 5 games. It was called the PC Engine and was huge in Japan for almost a decade though, well into the mid 90's.

The TG16 is rare and one of the best kept secrets of that era of gaming.

I was fortunate enough to actually come across a decent stock of some of it's better titles at PnT.

As I sent it to you, I'll post it here for everyone. This site has all kinds of old consoles for very reasonable prices, this is where I got my Master System-

http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com/games.htm

MasterShake
10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
My first old school system was an Intellivision. I had a NES, but around 1989 (I think) I stumbled across a Neo-Geo at a garage sale for $150. I didn't have the money so I ran home and called my uncle who lived up the way from us and he lent me the money in exchange for a summer of lawn mowing. I think that console ran for around $400 at the time. I had to order games from special order catalogues, the cheapest game I bought was Samurai Showdown for about $85. That was like having an arcade at home at the time, but eventually I sold it to get a Super Nintendo. Wish I still had that thing.

Shazam!
10-15-2009, 09:52 AM
My first system was the Atari 2600 I had in like 1980 but the games were terribly repetitive and bored me very quickly.

After 10 hours of Defender... there was no more reason to play!

I later got a Colecovision. Donkey Kong is still classic.

The next generation made leaps and bounds from the last, immeasurably better.

That Neo Geo was an unbelieveable find! That system still goes for about $300 now.

NightTrainLayne
10-15-2009, 10:06 AM
The original NES, and the original Playstation have been my favorites so far.

Had the Atari 2600, and a later Atari (3800?) can't remember the #. Sega Genesis, Xbox, and now have PS3 and Wii.

Those later systems are great, but I just don't have the time to play them anymore. My brother and I played that original NES so much. . .And I got a lot of use out of my original Playstation.

I think sometimes too, that the simpler games sometimes are more fun. I love the literal "universes" that my PS3 lets you play in, with the amazing true-to-life graphics and physics. But, we got a Wii just a few weeks ago, and I've had more fun playing with that with my daughter than I probably have had in years on my Xbox and PS3.

Sometimes simple is better. Either that, or I'm getting old.

MasterShake
10-15-2009, 11:49 AM
The original NES, and the original Playstation have been my favorites so far.

Had the Atari 2600, and a later Atari (3800?) can't remember the #. Sega Genesis, Xbox, and now have PS3 and Wii.

Those later systems are great, but I just don't have the time to play them anymore. My brother and I played that original NES so much. . .And I got a lot of use out of my original Playstation.

I think sometimes too, that the simpler games sometimes are more fun. I love the literal "universes" that my PS3 lets you play in, with the amazing true-to-life graphics and physics. But, we got a Wii just a few weeks ago, and I've had more fun playing with that with my daughter than I probably have had in years on my Xbox and PS3.

Sometimes simple is better. Either that, or I'm getting old.

I agree. The NES and SNES still hold a majority of my favorite games. Thank god for emulators!

Speaking of, maybe I'll get a Neo-Geo emulator...

And Shazam, thanks for the link to that site! I'm gonna buy that unopened SNES Super Star Wars!

MasterShake
10-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Also, heres the link to the SuperTwin gaming system that plays NES/SNES games. No Red Ring of Death, just fun!

http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/retro-twin-system-nessnes-combo-black-p-1033.html

Shazam!
10-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Had the Atari 2600, and a later Atari (3800?) can't remember the #.

I think you mean the 5200. When it failed Atari pretty much re-released the 2600. Then there was the 7800 a few years later that got crushed by Nintendo and Sega.

I had the 7800 and it was a piece of shit.

And Shazam, thanks for the link to that site!

Also, heres the link to the SuperTwin gaming system that plays NES/SNES games.

They sell that aftermarket system too I'm pretty sure.

Shazam!
02-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Here is a great article that an old school gamer can appreciate from the late 80's.

Now it's about HD, with PS3 vs 360 fanboys at war with opinions as to which console is better (we all know it's the XBox... I'm kidding... but it is lol)

Even before it was Playstation vs. Sega Saturn, it was the Sega Master System vs. Nintendo Entertainment System. Nintendo had their great first party titles and their cut throat marketing practices that withheld a ton of great games from other platforms. While the SMS didnt have the US success the NES had as it did better overseas (even lasted until the late 90's), it held a group of hardcore fans, myself included, who were loyal to the machine. It did produce a solid bunch of AAA titles too that are legends today, like many Nintendo titles.

This article is exhaustively done, and this fella put a lot of work into it. I do think it's overly biased into Nintendo's favor. It leaves out a bunch of Master System titles that deserve to be in there (Kenseiden for one), side by sides that were missed (Ikari Warriors vs. Rambo), gave the vote to Nintendo when Sega had the better game (World Runner beat Space Harrier?? Puhleeeeze) and mis-compared a few titles that should've been (Kung Fu vs. Black Belt instead of Kung Fu Kid). It also leaves out the light gun games entirely, which was an important part of that era of games.

I believe there are many faults in his reviews by not matching better games together, but I give him kudos for all the work, with over 40 games compared.

It has side by side comparisons of many games I'm sure some will remember. If you're too young, this is a great look at games of yesteryear-

SMS vs NES-

http://huguesjohnson.com/features/nes-vs-sms/

FanInAZ
02-04-2010, 04:29 AM
My first game console (my parents bought for my brother and I in the mid 70s) Super Pong! I still remember in '79 when my brother swore to our mom that if they got us an Atari 2600, we would never ask them for another thing. I'm glad she didn't hold us to that.

Yes, the graphics were silly even compared to the Intelevision that would become its first rival. However, it was so simple to play compared to the Nintendo. I'll take a joystick and a single button interface over the dozen button pad any day. I really do miss the days of such simplicity

Shazam!
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
However, it was so simple to play compared to the Nintendo. I'll take a joystick and a single button interface over the dozen button pad any day. I really do miss the days of such simplicity

I do still enjoy firing up my Master System and Turbografx16 every now and then. Brings back many memories, and just sit down and play. Ah, the simpler days.

Zweems56
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm nigh on 23 now, and I know I'm not old enough, and neither is my choice of "retro system" for this thread, but I have to go with the original Playstation. I had a NES, a Genesis, and all that jazz.... (really, the only systems post NES, and pre-360 that I didn't have were Dreamcast and SNES.) Nothing compared to the playstation. Final fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid. Nothing that came before or after the Playstation will ever compare with the joy that I had on that system.

underrated29
02-04-2010, 03:00 PM
The Jaguar...Do you guys remember that. I had one of those for a while. It was after NES, but before the 64 and before the genesis. Its was the first 60+ gig system out there. Or maybe it was 32-I dont know but i thought i was hot shit for having one. It sucked though.

FanInAZ
02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I could be wrong, but 1 of the games for the Atari 2600 had what may be considered the 1st "cheat code" in gaming history. Who can recall the game and the code?

MasterShake
02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
I could be wrong, but 1 of the games for the Atari 2600 had what may be considered the 1st "cheat code" in gaming history. Who can recall the game and the code?

They have had cheat codes going all the way back to the Spectrum and other Pre-Atari systems. Intellivision had tons that you could enter on the number key pad that were actually programmers testing portals. They would really screw up your games! I remember doing one for Frogger on Intellivision after about an hour of randomly inputting numbers that SPED up the traffic! :lol:

As far as the Jaguar I remember that piece of crap. Came out about the same time as 3DO. It was indeed a 32 bit system, I think it had games like Pit Fighter on it?

FanInAZ
02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
They have had cheat codes going all the way back to the Spectrum and other Pre-Atari systems. Intellivision had tons that you could enter on the number key pad that were actually programmers testing portals. They would really screw up your games! I remember doing one for Frogger on Intellivision after about an hour of randomly inputting numbers that SPED up the traffic! :lol:

As far as the Jaguar I remember that piece of crap. Came out about the same time as 3DO. It was indeed a 32 bit system, I think it had games like Pit Fighter on it?

I never heard of Spectrum. Nevertheless, the Atari 2600 did have a game that you could enter a cheat code. Can anyone name that game and the code?

Thnikkaman
02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Was it the Adventure "walk through the title screen" Easter egg?

FanInAZ
02-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Was it the Adventure "walk through the title screen" Easter egg?

I can recall that game, but I can't recall having the ability to do that. Try again.

Thnikkaman
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I'm going to question the validity of your question.

FanInAZ
02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I'm going to question the validity of your question.

If no one can answer it by the end of the SB on Sunday, then I'll give you the answer. Trust me, with out this code, you couldn't play for more then 5 or six rounds of this game before loosing. With this code, you could play until your fingers fell off.

Shazam!
02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
The Jaguar...Do you guys remember that. I had one of those for a while. It was after NES, but before the 64 and before the genesis. Its was the first 60+ gig system out there. Or maybe it was 32-I dont know but i thought i was hot shit for having one. It sucked though.

The Jag came out after the Genesis and once N64 came out it was destryoed. It had one of the worst controllers of gaming history. Atari ****ed that up like everything they had since 1983.

MasterShake
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
If no one can answer it by the end of the SB on Sunday, then I'll give you the answer. Trust me, with out this code, you couldn't play for more then 5 or six rounds of this game before loosing. With this code, you could play until your fingers fell off.

It is one of these games: http://www.gamewinners.com/A2600/index.html
:lol:

I never realized how much the old consoles had codes and easter eggs.

FanInAZ
02-04-2010, 06:24 PM
It is one of these games: http://www.gamewinners.com/A2600/index.html
:lol:

I never realized how much the old consoles had codes and easter eggs.

I didn't either. I only knew about your ability to get the double shot with Space Invaders by holding down the reset while turning on the power. I figured that I might as well tell being that you just gave a link that gives the 1 right answer as well as a bunch of other right answers as well.

MasterShake
02-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I didn't either. I only knew about your ability to get the double shot with Space Invaders by holding down the reset while turning on the power. I figured that I might as well tell being that you just gave a link that gives the 1 right answer as well as a bunch of other right answers as well.

Actually, I remember that! Also, you want the high score on any Galaga arcade machine? Get to a point where you have 1 or 2 Galagas that drop lasers and dodge them for about 15 minutes. After that they stop shooting. After you kill them, the rest of the game no Galagas will shoot at you! Makes the game real easy once you have the dual ships. The laundromat by me has my score up, 618,000 and thats because I had to leave! :lol:

Zweems56
02-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Actually, I remember that! Also, you want the high score on any Galaga arcade machine? Get to a point where you have 1 or 2 Galagas that drop lasers and dodge them for about 15 minutes. After that they stop shooting. After you kill them, the rest of the game no Galagas will shoot at you! Makes the game real easy once you have the dual ships. The laundromat by me has my score up, 618,000 and thats because I had to leave! :lol:

PSSH! I RIGHTFULLY own the top score at time crisis 3 in my town... Can't cheat good old tc3.

NameUsedBefore
02-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Amiga. First video games I ever played:

Prince of Persia
Dragon's Lair
Corridor 7

Some good memories with me and my dad swapping discs for Dragon's Lair or the computerized noises used for Prince of Persia.

FanInAZ
02-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Amiga. First video games I ever played:

Prince of Persia
Dragon's Lair
Corridor 7

Some good memories with me and my dad swapping discs for Dragon's Lair or the computerized noises used for Prince of Persia.

:D I had no idea you were that young :D

Shazam!
02-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Unfortunately, I can't even remember the first game I played. Now I wish I did.

Shazam!
02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Here's a very, very long but thorough and complete history of Sega. Great article-

http://retromedia.ign.com/retro/image/article/974/974695/ign-presents-the-history-of-sega-20090420080028650.jpg

http://retro.ign.com/articles/974/974695p1.html

MileHighCrew
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Panasonic 3D0

Was awesome playing Need for Speed

MasterShake
02-05-2010, 11:10 AM
PSSH! I RIGHTFULLY own the top score at time crisis 3 in my town... Can't cheat good old tc3.

Anytime you see a score in Galaga above 200,000 I guarantee you someone cheated. There are only 3-5 people in the world that are considered experts and they have studied the formations of the game and when to move and can probably play blindfolded. Everyone else is a cheating ******* like me. Without the cheat, I can still get to level 28-39 which is pretty good.

The only legit record I hold is back of my hometown of Commerce City. I kid you not, there is a Marvel Vs Capcom machine there that still has my record from 8 years ago of 23 wins in a row from a tournament of sorts that was there. :D

You ever check out Twin Galaxies? It was featured in the movie King of Kong and is the source for video game records. I'm trying to get my wife to submit here score for Lumines on PSP, she got like over 7 million in one sitting on a plane! :lol:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/