PDA

View Full Version : Are We Gonna Lose Mike Nolan?

Overtime
10-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Ok wasn't worried about this till today, but I saw Adam Schefter on ESPN, and he was talking about the coordinators around the leagues that are having success that will be in demand for head coaching jobs after the season, and they said Mike Nolan was one of those guys, (along with Mike Mularkey & Greg Williams) that could be in line for the Redskins, Bills, Cowboys job.

Please don't tell me we've done all that we've done, just to have Nolan go somewhere else. We just got this defense fixed...we need stability at the DC position for a few years, not another new guy, and new scheme to screw everything up.

RedFalcon
10-13-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't think that by the end of the season Nolan will leave the Broncos. Personally, I think Nolan is a much better assistant coach than head coach. Look at his experience in San Francisco. I hope he stays here for a long time...

Overtime
10-13-2009, 01:28 AM
I hope he stays too, but I'm kinda worried after hearing that on ESPN today. he's really done a fantastic job so far.

BCJ
10-13-2009, 01:34 AM
How would we know his intentions? Was he relieved when he lost his job in Frisco? Does he like the less attention by being a DC instead of a HC? Pete Carroll has stayed at the College level instead of the pros because he found something that soothes him. This might be his comfort level. He is excelling at this position and maybe it is the respect that he enjoys. You never know, he just might love being in Denver and doesnt want to leave the Rocky Mountains!

ikillz0mbies
10-13-2009, 01:35 AM
I was just thinking about this...I really hope he doesn't leave. He is GREAT for this team and he needs to be here more than just one year. Keep this aggressiveness and "constant shift in motion" for years to come.

Dirk
10-13-2009, 06:26 AM
It will all depend on what Nolan is after. Some people want the whole thing and others are happy at what they do best.

We can speculate as well as ESPN as to what will happen, but it will ultimately be something that Nolan will decide (just stating the obvious).

I say if he is happy, give him a fat contract that is attractive enough to make him stay happy in Denver.

Northman
10-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Depends on both the Broncos and Nolan. Like i stated in a thread a few weeks ago. If Nolan considers going back to a HC job for money or whatever Denver better make it very hard for him to go. Pay the man HC money if that is what it takes but dont let him leave without fighting for him.

gobroncsnv
10-13-2009, 07:01 AM
By this logic, you wouldn't have your HC this year either. This is the nature of the beast. These guys bust their butts at the OC or DC jobs so that they can get to the top of the food chain. I'd hate to see Nolan go, but I won't be surprised. He's done a GREAT job. Would be fabulous to have him get us some more rings here.

And I don't see having an Assistant Head Coach when Josh is doing so well and is so young. You'll see the AHC thing when the head coach has a foot on a banana peel or he's about to retire, etc, etc. I DO hope Bowlen tries his best to retain Nolan, but we'll just have to see what Mike's looking for. Would REALLY like to see what the next draft looks like, and how they build on how good we have it right now.

Dirk
10-13-2009, 07:11 AM
I know a lot of people aren't like I am, but I know my limits and know what it is like being the "man in charge". I had the chance to be promoted over the team I am currently in and turned it down because I love what I do and have been there done that and don't like the headaches.

Hopefully Nolan feels the same way. :D

Elevation inc
10-13-2009, 07:11 AM
if we make the playoffs, nolan would be stupid to leave for the redskins or cowboys jobs, he isnt a great offensive mind and both those teams are mirred in offensive mediocrity....his best bet is to build here with this team....i bank on him staying

claymore
10-13-2009, 07:28 AM
I think we get Nolan for another year. There are to many big name HC's out there . Shanny, Cowher, Dungy (I know he said he was retired forever), Gruden, and Holmgren.

That is 5 SB winning HC's. I am concerned, but I think any team in such disarray to fire the HC, would want a proven commodity.

SOCALORADO.
10-13-2009, 07:52 AM
He signed a 2 year contract.
So i think DEN is safe for another year. Plus i think Nolan likes where hes at.
Also, there just isnt any security with any of those available jobs.
WASH!?!?!?! Pfft. man, now theres a nightmare HC job. Only a specific person can take that job comfortably. Like Shanahan, which even from the rumors HE! has turned down twice! Theres a power struggle there with the never happy owner, whos a loon!
DAL!?!? Again, all kinds of scrutiny, to the point where your on the hot seat the moment you walk in the door. I dont think it fits Nolans style, other than the suit on the sideline thing. This is the ONLY place i see Shanahan going, given full control of team operations from Ol' Jerry. I also just dont think Jerry jones would hire Nolan. He will want a sure fire winner like Shanny.
OAK!?! Jeez! Nolan would be walking into a bear trap! He knows it! or keep coaching in DEN, happy everyday! Thats a tough one.
I think Nolan will be here next year, man. Not worried.

TXBRONC
10-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Why did Nolan only sign a two year contract if he's more comfortable being a defensive coordinator? I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't want to try it at least one more time. I also have hard time believing that there wouldn't be teams interested in him if Denver continues to have success.

I don't know if Pete Carroll is such a great example to use for why Nolan should stay a coordinator. He was given two chances at being a head coach in the NFL. I think it was just a year or two ago that there was interest by some teams to bring him back to the NFL and he gave it serious consideration before deciding against it.

Norv Turner and Wade Phillips are both on their 3rd go around as head coaches. Eric Mangini is on his second go around.

Shazam!
10-13-2009, 08:34 AM
...all I'm thinking about right now is SD on MNF.

NightTrainLayne
10-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I think it's too soon for Nolan, but that would just be me, I have no idea what's going on in his head. I would guess that at some point he will want to take on another HC position, but after the debacle in SF, I just don't see him jumping right back into the fire a year later.

All that being said, when he does leave, I think McD will be OK hiring a good replacement. Let's give him credit for hiring Nolan and the rest of our staff in the first place. He'll be OK replacing Nolan

Shazam!
10-13-2009, 08:48 AM
I think McD will be OK hiring a good replacement.

I would think first he'd promote from within.

It's just too early to be thinking about after the season while Denver is on a magical run like this.

TXBRONC
10-13-2009, 08:49 AM
He signed a 2 year contract.
So i think DEN is safe for another year. Plus i think Nolan likes where hes at.
Also, there just isnt any security with any of those available jobs.
WASH!?!?!?! Pfft. man, now theres a nightmare HC job. Only a specific person can take that job comfortably. Like Shanahan, which even from the rumors HE! has turned down twice! Theres a power struggle there with the never happy owner, whos a loon!
DAL!?!? Again, all kinds of scrutiny, to the point where your on the hot seat the moment you walk in the door. I dont think it fits Nolans style, other than the suit on the sideline thing. This is the ONLY place i see Shanahan going, given full control of team operations from Ol' Jerry. I also just dont think Jerry jones would hire Nolan. He will want a sure fire winner like Shanny.
OAK!?! Jeez! Nolan would be walking into a bear trap! He knows it! or keep coaching in DEN, happy everyday! Thats a tough one.
I think Nolan will be here next year, man. Not worried.

Coordinators are no more secure than head coaches. Have a bad year and you can be out the door more easily than a lot head coaches.

I'm not really sure being in coordinator's positions automatically you don't want be head coach even if you did have a bad experience the first time out the gate. If that's case why did McDaniels come to Denver? He was in a great situation in New England and the way he's always talked about it he was happy.

skycoyote
10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
The lure of money has a very strong appeal. If he's offered the big bucks he'll follow the money.

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Personally I agree so far he has shown less ability to be a head coach than when he sticks to his specialty Old School Gangster Defense!! He is getting alot of Monday morning credit for the SF success going on. With Shanny, and Holmgren (both want to coach next year) and Cowher possibly back in the mix, we might be safe with Nolan for a few more years. Let hope he's a Dick LeBeau type..not a head coach but stays as our Killer Coordinator!

SmilinAssasSin27
10-13-2009, 09:44 AM
too many other options out there. He's not goin anywhere.

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Shanny might get grabbed by Snyder's money instead of Jerry's..lol...nightmare either way! Holmgren get the other job of those two. Neither Owner situation will be appealing to Mike or Mike but they will follow the cash and demand control! Holmgren was at BYU my redshirt/ transfer year and he doesn't take excuses or weak effort well..he wouldn't put up with Romo or even Portis' antics at all! The same would be said for Shanny!

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Just a side note: Sherm Lewis the new offensive "consultant" has run the west coast offense in Washington for both Holmgren and Shannahan in the past. Makes it interesting don't ya think?

Superchop 7
10-13-2009, 10:01 AM
The "most" important thing for the Broncos is to lock up these coaches for 5-7 years.

What they have done is amazing.

(except special teams coach)

SOCALORADO.
10-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Personally I agree so far he has shown less ability to be a head coach than when he sticks to his specialty Old School Gangster Defense!! He is getting alot of Monday morning credit for the SF success going on. With Shanny, and Holmgren (both want to coach next year) and Cowher possibly back in the mix, we might be safe with Nolan for a few more years. Let hope he's a Dick LeBeau type..not a head coach but stays as our Killer Coordinator!

+1 :defense:

GEM
10-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Shanny might get grabbed by Snyder's money instead of Jerry's..lol...nightmare either way! Holmgren get the other job of those two. Neither Owner situation will be appealing to Mike or Mike but they will follow the cash and demand control! Holmgren was at BYU my redshirt/ transfer year and he doesn't take excuses or weak effort well..he wouldn't put up with Romo or even Portis' antics at all! The same would be said for Shanny!

Shanny ending up back with Portis....that just makes me laugh.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Ok wasn't worried about this till today, but I saw Adam Schefter on ESPN, and he was talking about the coordinators around the leagues that are having success that will be in demand for head coaching jobs after the season, and they said Mike Nolan was one of those guys, (along with Mike Mularkey & Greg Williams) that could be in line for the Redskins, Bills, Cowboys job.

Please don't tell me we've done all that we've done, just to have Nolan go somewhere else. We just got this defense fixed...we need stability at the DC position for a few years, not another new guy, and new scheme to screw everything up.

I am hoping that we do not lose Nolan, but if so, remember that Josh started out on the defensive side of the ball - with that in mind, and with a full year of seeing/learning Nolan's defense, there might be an assistant coach, with Josh's input, who would be able to take over as defensive coordinator.

Crush05
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
IMO he failed as a head coach in San Fran. If we do I say it will not be for a few seasons. He has to regain his credibility to become a head coach. I hope it is not anytime soon because I love what he has done!!!

Lonestar
10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I believe in the Peter Principle a person rises to his "level of incompetency"..

IN Nolan's case he is a great DC has been and that was the reason why he got the SFO job. But he soon proved he was inept at finding good under coaches and drafting talent....

money is one thing happiness is another.. you can't buy the later..

I will hope and pray that he is happy running his side of the LOS in DEN for the next 8-10 years and then retire.. I also suspect they will be generous money wise to keep him..

Pat knows how bad we have sucked on Defense almost since Collier left.. I doubt he will make another mistake by letting him go..

TXBRONC
10-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I am hoping that we do not lose Nolan, but if so, remember that Josh started out on the defensive side of the ball - with that in mind, and with a full year of seeing/learning Nolan's defense, there might be an assistant coach, with Josh's input, who would be able to take over as defensive coordinator.

I don't know if we would lose him this year but he did only signed two year deal.

Bronco Warrior
10-13-2009, 10:46 AM
All Coordinator contracts have a clause that gives them an out if given a HC offer.

T.K.O.
10-13-2009, 10:59 AM
as far as him only signing a 2 year deal,i'm sure that was all that was offered.i doubt bowlen would offer him nore than that to see if he could turn the D around.
he did'nt want another coach collecting a check after he was dismissed.
speaking of which,shanny should take a hc job next year so that would free up almost 7 mil a year that bowlen is paying shanny,he could offer....say .....3 mil of that to nolan to sweeten the pot and get him to stick around a while!
:salute:

Watchthemiddle
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
We aren't going to lose Nolan.

He has coached here before, tried his run as an HC and is once again dominating as a DC. I hope he has found his niche and we can keep this staff together for a long time.

Lonestar
10-13-2009, 11:14 AM
as far as him only signing a 2 year deal,i'm sure that was all that was offered.i doubt bowlen would offer him nore than that to see if he could turn the D around.
he did'nt want another coach collecting a check after he was dismissed.
speaking of which,shanny should take a hc job next year so that would free up almost 7 mil a year that bowlen is paying shanny,he could offer....say .....3 mil of that to nolan to sweeten the pot and get him to stick around a while!
:salute:

actually I suspect who ever buys mike next year will offer him a lot less than the 7 mil he was supposed to get from us.. and we will be picking up the difference between them..

BTW I think Josh should get a healthy raise also along with Nolan..

T.K.O.
10-13-2009, 11:24 AM
actually I suspect who ever buys mike next year will offer him a lot less than the 7 mil he was supposed to get from us.. and we will be picking up the difference between them..

BTW I think Josh should get a healthy raise also along with Nolan..

i dont see that happening,the most likely landing spot for mike is in dallas,and jerry will no doubt have to offer mike more than he would make golfing and kickin' it in his 35,000 sq ft pad to get him to take the massive pressure that will be placed on him to get the boys to the playoffs and beyond....i'm thinkin 9-11 mil a year.
also teams will be signing other high profile coaches to huge contracts and that will only make shanny's stock rise

Lonestar
10-13-2009, 11:29 AM
i dont see that happening,the most likely landing spot for mike is in dallas,and jerry will no doubt have to offer mike more than he would make golfing and kickin' it in his 35,000 sq ft pad to get him to take the massive pressure that will be placed on him to get the boys to the playoffs and beyond....i'm thinkin 9-11 mil a year.
also teams will be signing other high profile coaches to huge contracts and that will only make shanny's stock rise

when you said mike I was thinking Noland.. cared the hell out of me..

I do not see mike working for the cowgirls jerry is to big a control freak and mike will not put himself under another aldavis.. I also do not see jerry bowing to mikes demand for total control..

T.K.O.
10-13-2009, 11:35 AM
ive heard that jerry and shanny are old friends....i would bet that jerry is willing to give up some of his control,and mike also admitted after his firing in denver that he was spread a little thin....i bet the 2 of them could come to some sort of deal.
maybe not,but if wade puts up a 8-8 type season in the new billiondollardome
jerry will probably caddy for mike if thats what it takes!:D

Lonestar
10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
ive heard that jerry and shanny are old friends....i would bet that jerry is willing to give up some of his control,and mike also admitted after his firing in denver that he was spread a little thin....i bet the 2 of them could come to some sort of deal.

hey you may be right.. but I find it hard to believe either of them could work with each other.. jerry is so close to being aldavis in terms of control and age, well they may be friends, but married to each other in the same building NOPE..

if it does happen then what ever D they had goes south.

weazel
10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I would have to believe if he was offered a head coaching job, he would take it.

gobroncsnv
10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Several points to several folks...

Jerry Jones hired Bill Parcells, so he has done a "give up some control" in the past.
Shanny was an OC and a QB coach in between his first and second HC stints. Rather successful at both jobs.

Again, I truly hope we keep Nolan around... would just love that.

But best of all, we need to consider just how rare our air is vis-a-vis a first time HC and the level of success Josh is having. Not saying it hasn't happened before, but given the rebuilding that needed doing here, and it's his first time driving the bus, McDaniels is doing a pretty much unbeLIEVable job here. Yeah, the season's young, and I'm STILL not saying we're a lock for the playoffs, but he's far surpassed any expectations that I held for him. I was willing to give him every chance in the world, but he's def taken the ball and running off with it.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2009, 10:55 PM

Wasn't it said somewhere that Wade's successor was already on the staff - picked by Jones, and he was grooming him for his next head coach (can't remember the guy's name). Maybe that is not in the works any longer.

gobroncsnv
10-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Wasn't it said somewhere that Wade's successor was already on the staff - picked by Jones, and he was grooming him for his next head coach (can't remember the guy's name). Maybe that is not in the works any longer.

Jason Garrett is the AHC in Dallas. and he'd probably do a better job than old Wade can.

drewloc
10-14-2009, 07:55 AM
All Coordinator contracts have a clause that gives them an out if given a HC offer.

I remember reading that somewhere. I will have to see if I can find the article that was talking about this. I thought there was someway that if we gave him a head coach title, such as assistant head coach of the defense, that we would have to ok them interviewing him. I will see what I can dig up.

Shazam!
10-14-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't see what the hoopola is about Jason Garrett.

Enough with this anyway!

This should've at least been big Bye week talk.

San Diego.