PDA

View Full Version : Breakthrough Players

dogfish
09-04-2007, 12:28 AM
who do you think will have breakout years in '07? make your predictions here. . .

C nick mangold (jets): i really wanted us to draft this kid. . . he's a talented athlete and a great technician, and has great work ethic and intensity. . . he was even better than expected as a rookie, outplaying #4 pick d'brickashaw ferguson according to scouts-- this is the year mangold will start to establish his reputation as one of the elite centers in the game. . .

TE david thomas (patsies): he'll get a chance to shine with dan graham and garrett mills both gone. . . not as fast or athletic as ben watson, but he's smarter and more reliable, and guys like that thrive in new england-- watch him develop into one of brady's go-to guys as the season progresses, especially on third downs. . .

WR santonio holmes (steelers): i've said for two years or more that holmes will be a better pro receiver than ginn-- this year he'll start to prove it. . . he really came on down the stretch last year, and i expect him to pick up right where he left off. . . he has explosive quickness and is technically sound for a young player. . . this will be hines ward's last year as the #1 option in the 'burgh. . .

WR mark clayton (vultures): another guy i liked a lot coming out of college. . . clayton may never be an elite WR in this league, but he's going to be very good. . . not as physically gifted as some top picks, but he's smart and hardworking. . . he's going to replace derrick mason as the crows' #1 option-- look for a career year statistically if he stays healthy. . .

LB kamerion wimbley (browns): a disruptive edge rusher, he quietly had a good rookie season-- this year it won't be quiet. . .

CB jonathon joseph (bengals): showed impressive cover skills as a rookie, and was in position to make quite a few plays-- if he can hold on to a few of those this year, he will make a real impact on a secondary that was brutalized most of last season. . .

OLT michael roos (titans): made the jump from division 2 as a rook, then switched from ORT to OLT last year-- he proved that he can play at this level, and now he'll get a chance to develop consistency and build on what he's done so far. . .

ILB matt wilhelm (chargers): a limited athlete who will be a big drop-off from donnie edwards in coverage, but an upgrade in run defense-- wilhelm is a smart, tough interior plugger. . . will never be a star, but is ready to show that he can be a reliable starter. . .

WR brandon marshall (broncos!): we all know how much potential he has-- still needs a lot of work, and he won't be a finished product this year by any means, but i expect him to step up and fill the void that we had behind javon last year. . .

QB jason campbell (redfaces): has the "it factor" you look for at QB-- campbell is a solid athlete with a big arm, and he has shown marked development as a decision-maker. . . he's still rough around the edges, but finally having some consistency at OC will really accelerate his learning curve. . . campbell will prove this year that he was worth trading back into the first round for. . .

DE darryl tapp (seagulls): undersized but relentless pass rusher is fighting for a starting spot-- should double his three sacks from last year, and will do better if he starts. . . will never be an elite lineman, but should develop into a reliable starter. . .

Cleveland Rocks
09-04-2007, 06:34 PM
LB kamerion wimbley (browns): a disruptive edge rusher, he quietly had a good rookie season-- this year it won't be quiet. . .

Even if the guy had 16+ sacks this year he won't make the Pro-Bowl. They guy had a far superior season than Shawne Merriman (rookie season) and he still did not make the Pro-Bowl ... but Merriman did. Wimbley didn't even win any honors whatsoever for his play - despite the fact that Merriman won the award with inferior stats (rookie season).

Sean Jones was a force at Safety for the Browns and had an amazing year. Polamalu went instead. Andre Davis has had amazing stats every single year for the last several years - far better stats than Al Wilson had. Yet, Al Wilson still went over him.

The Pro Bowl is bull. Who really watches the game? I sure don't. It is a farce of what it was in the past.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Even if the guy had 16+ sacks this year he won't make the Pro-Bowl. They guy had a far superior season than Shawne Merriman (rookie season) and he still did not make the Pro-Bowl ... but Merriman did. Wimbley didn't even win any honors whatsoever for his play - despite the fact that Merriman won the award with inferior stats (rookie season).

Sean Jones was a force at Safety for the Browns and had an amazing year. Polamalu went instead. Andre Davis has had amazing stats every single year for the last several years - far better stats than Al Wilson had. Yet, Al Wilson still went over him.

The Pro Bowl is bull. Who really watches the game? I sure don't. It is a farce of what it was in the past.

i think they should eliminate voting by fans, or at least only count it towrds a certain percentage of voting

lynch in no way shape or form should have made the probowl last year above some of the otehr canidates

please dont hur me its just the truth i speak:ahhhhh:

dogfish
09-05-2007, 12:40 AM

pro bowl, schmoe bowl-- who cares?? this thread is about who's going to play well for their teams, not who's going to the pro bowl. . .

SBboundBRONCOS
09-05-2007, 01:07 AM
sorry back on topic

Hixon will have a great year not only as a return man but also a deep target for Cutler

D. Garrard will take the Jags to the next level with consistent play

J. Addai will be a huge part of Mannings offense

and my negative prediction goes to V. Young

he will not make the probowl, hw will not complete 55% of his passes, will throw more ints than tds, and the titans finish no better than .500

more to come when i think of them

BroncoWave
09-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Not sure if this would be a breakout player since he played well last year but I will say Jerious Norwood. He has blazing speed, nice strength, and can catch it out of the backfield. He is a threat to score from any part of the field. I forget how many 20+ yard TDs he had last season.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Not sure if this would be a breakout player since he played well last year but I will say Jerious Norwood. He has blazing speed, nice strength, and can catch it out of the backfield. He is a threat to score from any part of the field. I forget how many 20+ yard TDs he had last season.

yeah i think so too, hes got some shifty feet (i think they have a brain of their own :laugh:) he has good balance along the sideline as well

TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I agree with your picks DF, but I would add Jay Cutler to that list. The reason being is I don't think that Marshall can have breakout year without solid play from the quarterback.

BigBroncLove
09-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Great list Dogfish. I think Wilhelm will have a great season as well. HE is a very good ILB IMO that will have to shake off some lack of playing time early on, but will fit right in by mid season.

I think Tank Tyler of the Chiefs will also have a great season this year. I like his level of paly, his attitude which has a mean streak, and the talent around him. It will be a good season for him.

I think Floyd with the Chargers will be much improved and a surprise to many, btu he won't be a breakout player. Jsut one who helps get the job done, and does so quietly but with solid production.

I also expect Reggie Brown of the Philidelphia Eagles to make a splash league wide, as McNabb looks solid this year, and getting tons of time asthe Eagles #1 will give Brown the chance to make a big name for himself. I think he can do it.

Also of course, Wes Welker with the patsies. Welker is a solid reciever, and a good return man. Twice the chances to show off his stuff, and with Stallworth mroe then likely garnering a good amoutn of attention, and even Moss (who defenses will gameplan around, even though I think he doesn't have much left in the tank), I think Welker will be a bigger target then most might believe. The way Brady spreads the bal laround, I think Welker wil lbe a welcomed target for the veteran QB.

dogfish
09-05-2007, 03:13 PM
good call on reggie brown, don't know how i missed him-- i agree that he's going to establish himself as a legit #1 target this year. . .