PDA

View Full Version : Shocking but true: Broncos are the AFC's best

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2009, 07:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Shocking-but-true-Broncos-are-the-AFC-s-best?urn=nfl,195293

They just barely beat the Bengals on a tip drill to Brandon Stokely before we know that we had to take the Bengals seriously, so that was no big deal. Then, they beat the Raiders and Browns by a total of 50-9, but those were the Raiders and Browns, teams that would struggle to go 8-8 if the other teams didn't show up to play them. So, again, no biggie. Then, they beat the Cowboys by a touchdown, but that was thought to be more about Dallas' horrible play calling late in the game. So, at 4-0, the Denver Broncos got no respect at all -- they were still thought to be eventual victims of their tumultuous preseason.

Now, after their 20-17 overtime win over the Patriots, in which Josh McDaniels beat mentor Bill Belichick, it's past time to disregard Cutlergate, and the lost first-round draft pick, and all the other ancillary drama, and recognize that the Broncos are indeed the AFC's best team -- in record and on the field. Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan put together a brilliant series of schemes that forced the Patriots to dispense with their long passing game and go dink-and-dunk underneath (basically the gameplan McDaniels put together for Matt Cassel after Brady was lost for the 2008 season) while the Denver offense relied on heavy doses of rookie running back Knowshon Moreno. Receivers Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal carved up New England's improving but still vulnerable secondary, and Kyle Orton led Denver on a 12-play, 98-yard scoring drive halfway through the fourth quarter that tied the game at 17-all. In the overtime frame, Denver went 53 yards in 11 plays and ended the game with a 41-yard Matt Prater field goal. The Patriots never saw the ball outside of regulation.

There's no doubt that the Broncos could have handled their offseason better, and McDaniels did appear to have a little too much "Tom Cruise on Oprah" in him early in his time as a head coach. But we're now starting to see why Belichick, and the players McDaniels coached in New England, respect him so much. That excellence has transferred to the Mile High City (add in a healthy dose of respect for the work Nolan's doing), and that's why the Broncos are a fluke-free 5-0.

If you've missed the show, don't worry -- the Broncos face the Chargers on Monday Night Football next week.

AgentOrange
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
the Broncos are indeed the AFC's best team -- in record and on the field.
There's this team in Indianapolis, Indiana call "The Colts". Suppose he's heard of them?

:smack:

topscribe
10-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Here's some more from further down the page (same link):

• Concerning the Denver Broncos finally breaking in, it was just time. It didn't make sense to hold them out any longer. They're real. Mike Nolan has somehow crafted the defense into something that is far greater than the sum of its parts, and Josh McDaniels's has an offense that makes Kyle Orton(notes) look good. His quarterback rating is 97.7, and he has yet to throw an interception.

I don't know how they're doing it, but it's happening, and I can't deny it any longer. Even Brandon Marshall(notes) appears to have his stuff together. I don't know what to say, other than that I was wrong, I am very very dumb, and I should send Josh McDaniels the "I'm Sorry Bouquet" from FTD. Next time you come over, Merlin Olsen, you can help me out with that.

Here's one sportswriter that will come out and admit he was wrong.

Good to hear it from somebody . . .

-----

T.K.O.
10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
BEAT THE BOLTS......BEAT THE BOLTS........c'mon everybody with me.......BEAT THE BOLTS!:dancing2:

Bronco Warrior
10-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey I've met Merlin Olsen..lol he's from here!
We are 4 point dogs I guess we aren't as good as San Diego right?

Shazam!
10-12-2009, 08:42 PM
There's this team in Indianapolis, Indiana call "The Colts". Suppose he's heard of them?

The same way the Broncos were tatooed with the mantra of 'They haven't beat anybody' the same can be said about that team from Indianapolis, Indiana...

Miami
Arizona
Seattle
Jacksonville
Tenn

...also, it isn't shocking the Colts are 5-0, but Denver was picked to win 3-5 games and have wildly surpassed all expectations.

frauschieze
10-12-2009, 08:43 PM

The Colts? You mean the guys who have played:

Jacksonville (2-3) who have wins against HOU (2-3) and TEN (0-5)
Miami (1-3) who has a win against BUF (1-4)
Arizona (2-2) who have wins against JAC (2-3) and HOU (2-3)
Seattle (2-3) who have wins against STL (0-5) & JAC (2-3)
Tennessee (0-5) who have wins against.....no one

So the teams they've played have gone a combined 7-16, all against teams with losing records and three of the seven wins coming against teams in that same group.

Broncos, on the other hand have played:

Cincinnati (4-1) who have wins against GB (2-2), PIT (3-2), CLE (1-4) & BAL (3-2)
Cleveland (1-4) who has a win against BUF (1-4)
Oakland (1-4) who has a win against KC (0-5)
Dallas (3-2) who have wins against TB (0-5), CAR (1-3) & KC (0-5)
New England (3-2) who have wins against BUF (1-4), ATL (3-1) & BAL (3-2)

So the teams Denver has played have gone a cumulative 12-13, and five of those wins are against teams with a .500 record or better.

If Indy had played anyone of any substance, then I would definitely concede your point. But they haven't yet. As far as I'm concerned, the Broncos have proved themselves. Colts haven't.

Yet.

T.K.O.
10-12-2009, 09:25 PM
when i was at dove valley in the spring i told the lady at the reception desk "why did they make the lombardi trophy case so small it only holds 2 ?"
she said "we'll make a new one when we get more"
i of course said " better get a bigger one ordered"
we both had a nice chuckle.......maybe she should have had someone draw up the plans !;)

broncobryce
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm still hurting from the ass-whoopin Peyton Manning put on us every single time he plays us.

AgentOrange
10-12-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm just trying to keep some perspective. Yes, our team is 5-0 and I'm not taking anything away from them. As a Broncos fan this is great! Maybe we got lucky a couple of times - but then luck is preparation taking advantage of opportunity. However, before we crown our team "The Best" in the AFC or otherwise, we should keep in mind that neither the Bengals, Pats or Cowboys were decided until the very last seconds.

I don't think we've seen all the Broncs can accomplish and they're definitely on the upswing. I'm looking forward to San Diego to see what they can do with those gadflys. But let's not set ourselves up for too large a serving of blackbird.

Now...let's get us some Bolts with a big side of Phyllis Rivers!

frauschieze
10-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm still hurting from the ass-whoopin Peyton Manning put on us every single time he plays us.

I hope all those guys are thinking about is thoroughly beating the Chargers.

Luckily, I'm just a fan, so I can speculate and look at the big picture. Maybe make outrageous claims and hope my team backs them up. :D

TXBRONC
10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
The Colts? You mean the guys who have played:

Jacksonville (2-3) who have wins against HOU (2-3) and TEN (0-5)
Miami (1-3) who has a win against BUF (1-4)
Arizona (2-2) who have wins against JAC (2-3) and HOU (2-3)
Seattle (2-3) who have wins against STL (0-5) & JAC (2-3)
Tennessee (0-5) who have wins against.....no one

So the teams they've played have gone a combined 7-16, all against teams with losing records and three of the seven wins coming against teams in that same group.

Broncos, on the other hand have played:

Cincinnati (4-1) who have wins against GB (2-2), PIT (3-2), CLE (1-4) & BAL (3-2)
Cleveland (1-4) who has a win against BUF (1-4)
Oakland (1-4) who has a win against KC (0-5)
Dallas (3-2) who have wins against TB (0-5), CAR (1-3) & KC (0-5)
New England (3-2) who have wins against BUF (1-4), ATL (3-1) & BAL (3-2)

So the teams Denver has played have gone a cumulative 12-13, and five of those wins are against teams with a .500 record or better.

If Indy had played anyone of any substance, then I would definitely concede your point. But they haven't yet. As far as I'm concerned, the Broncos have proved themselves. Colts haven't.

Yet.

This is worth for sure, but to me it's still something to chew on when a team's offense can be on the field for only 15:00 minutes for entire game and still win regardless of who the opponent is.

To your point so far Denver has faced better competition over the last 5 weeks than the Colts have faced.

frauschieze
10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
This is worth for sure, but to me it's still something to chew on when a team's offense can be on the field for only 15:00 minutes for entire game and still win regardless of who the opponent is.

To your point so far Denver has faced better competition over the last 5 weeks than the Colts have faced.

That's a decent point. Tomorrow sometime, Cold Hard Football Facts and the Football Outsiders should have their stats updated. I'm very curious to see what happens. As of week 4, the stats still favor us.

Also, I haven't really watched any Indy games yet this year, but if their offense is only on the field for 15 minutes a game, then that speaks horribly about their defense. Overall, that would make them a solid match for us.....

GEM
10-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Yea, the team who has played teams with a combined total of 7-16. Those Colts?

Our combined opponents record: 12-13.

*EDIT* Didn't read through the thread and see that this was already posted. I had posted it last night to Game Changer. :lol:

BroncoWave
10-12-2009, 10:22 PM
That's a decent point. Tomorrow sometime, Cold Hard Football Facts and the Football Outsiders should have their stats updated. I'm very curious to see what happens. As of week 4, the stats still favor us.

Also, I haven't really watched any Indy games yet this year, but if their offense is only on the field for 15 minutes a game, then that speaks horribly about their defense. Overall, that would make them a solid match for us.....

It was only the Dolphins game they were on the field for 15 minutes. Basically, Miami ran the wildcat on nearly every play and they just ate up the clock. And whenever Indy got the ball they would always score really quickly and give Miami the ball right back. It was a very strange game.

frauschieze
10-12-2009, 10:25 PM
It was only the Dolphins game they were on the field for 15 minutes. Basically, Miami ran the wildcat on nearly every play and they just ate up the clock. And whenever Indy got the ball they would always score really quickly and give Miami the ball right back. It was a very strange game.

Sounds like it. Was it over pretty quickly?

BroncoWave
10-12-2009, 10:31 PM

I don't really remember, I was kinda flipping back and forth between a couple of other things that night. I would assume it was pretty quick though.

TXBRONC
10-12-2009, 10:45 PM

I'm sorry Frau I didn't make it. Against the Dolphins the Colts held the ball for 14:53 for entire game and yet they still beat them. It happened only in that game not all five. I didn't mean to mislead you.

TXBRONC
10-12-2009, 10:47 PM

The game went right down to the wire. In fact the Dolphins were actually in the lead for most of game.

frauschieze
10-12-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry Frau I didn't make it. Against the Dolphins the Colts held the ball for 14:53 for entire game and yet they still beat them. It happened only in that game not all five. I didn't mean to mislead you.

No prob. I can't doubt Peyton's ability to lead the Colts downfield and score.

At least in the regular season. :D

Lonestar
10-12-2009, 10:58 PM
lest we get big heads lets just hope our team can sustain playing good all season..

remember they have been hitting since for ever and have been in condition camps since josh got here:D well not quite but it seems that way..

I believe they will have enough gas to get them through the season but we have a lot of rookies that may be hitting the rookie wall before week ten with all the work they have put in so far..

color me a skeptic but I'll take it a week at a time before ordering super bowl tickets..

go Broncs!!