PDA

View Full Version : Elway Likes McDaniels' Style On The Sidelines

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2009, 05:25 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.Elway.offensive.2.1243548.html

Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway joins CBS4 Sports Insiders Vic Lombardi and Gary Miller on their ESPN Radio 1600 show every week to talk Broncos. His Monday Morning Quarterback segment can be heard at 8 a.m.

DENVER (CBS4) - Once again the Denver Broncos were underdogs and once again they proved the critics wrong and are still undefeated after Sunday's thrilling 20-17 overtime win against the New England Patriots. John Elway says the players have bought into coach Josh McDaniels' program.

"They're playing great. They're playing with a lot of confidence," Elway said. "A lot of good things happened to them, so it's exciting for them."

Elway said he liked it when McDaniels celebrated with his players when the game was over. McDaniels was seen fist-pumping in the corner of the stadium. He even jumped into the arms of defensive lineman Kenny Peterson.

"For me it's refreshing to see a head coach like that who is as excited as everybody else … I've never really had a head coach that's done that. I think that watching him on the sideline, what he does, I think it's exciting."

In the second half of the five games played so far the Broncos have outscored their opponents 59-7. McDaniels says there is not enough time at halftime to make major adjustments, but something is going right for the team.

"There probably isn't a lot of time, but they are making small, little adjustments. I just think defensively they are getting better, playing stronger in the second half."

After quarterback Kyle Orton had arguably his best game of the season, Elway said he can't give him enough credit.

"He just keeps going to the right guys, putting the ball on the money, and doing the right things, which wins football games," Elways said. "He outplayed Brady yesterday in his system and was just doing some great, great things."

Elway said a lot of Orton's success can be attributed to the outstanding play of the offensive line and the big play-making ability of wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

The Broncos hope to stay undefeated next week when the travel to San Diego to take on their division rivals the Chargers for a Monday night showdown on national TV.

Az Snake
10-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Elway said he liked it when McDaniels celebrated with his players when the game was over. McDaniels was seen fist-pumping in the corner of the stadium. He even jumped into the arms of defensive lineman Kenny Peterson.

"For me it's refreshing to see a head coach like that who is as excited as everybody else … I've never really had a head coach that's done that. I think that watching him on the sideline, what he does, I think it's exciting."

I agree with Mr. Elway, Carol. Watching Coach McD on the sidelines is very exciting and refreshing. Seeing Coach McD's energy gives me a whole new perspective.

CpQH1Mc4UW0
Thanks Lakota :beer:

topscribe
10-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Elway yesterday (Monday) on "Vic & Gary TV": "I think [Kyle Orton] is one of the MVPs of the NFL."

-----

GEM
10-13-2009, 04:33 PM
I agree with Mr. Elway, Carol. Watching Coach McD on the sidelines is very exciting and refreshing. Seeing Coach McD's energy gives me a whole new perspective.

CpQH1Mc4UW0
Thanks Lakota :beer:

There were so many fantastic things about that video. The fire of a coach firing up his offense and calling them on their mistakes. McD and Champ after Champ made the last play. Dawkins when McD came up and hugged him, yes sir, thank you sir. McD thanking the fans. I'm in love with the guy.

Az Snake
10-14-2009, 07:53 AM
There were so many fantastic things about that video. The fire of a coach firing up his offense and calling them on their mistakes. McD and Champ after Champ made the last play. Dawkins when McD came up and hugged him, yes sir, thank you sir. McD thanking the fans. I'm in love with the guy.

That scene with Dawkins impressed me too.
A rookie coach that has garnered the respect of a 14 yr veteran has me sold.

Go Broncos !!!

broncofaninfla
10-14-2009, 08:45 AM
I loved Shanahan and will always be thankful you the years of success and championships he brought to Denver but in the end his teams lacked passion and intensity. Mcd brings that and more to the table. I'm slowly developing a man crush on McD and love the direction this team is going. We have improved every week, the players are playing with passion and believing the schemes McD has in place. It's way to early to make this call but we seem to have the pieces in place to make a run at the post season this season.

Dreadnought
10-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I loved Shanahan and will always be thankful you the years of success and championships he brought to Denver but in the end his teams lacked passion and intensity.

Agreed. This is an adjustment for me; I normally hate any kind of over the top emotional displays, good or bad...but it seems to be working, so I guess I'll have to make my peace with it :lol:

NightTrainLayne
10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Agreed. This is an adjustment for me; I normally hate any kind of over the top emotional displays, good or bad...but it seems to be working, so I guess I'll have to make my piece with it :lol:

I too, usually don't like the overly emotional displays. . .but with what this guy has been through over the past 8-9 months, and all the criticism levelled at him (including such canards as "he has ruined the franchise"), I think he deserved a little space to celebrate a 5-0 start, and a big win over the Patriots, who are one heck of a football organization.

He did seem able to put a lid on it pretty quickly after the game, and had all the right responses in the post-game press conference.

This next game will be a big test to see how he and the whole team reacts to their success.

gobroncsnv
10-14-2009, 06:54 PM
zactly what I was thinkin', Train... This kid has been getting his butt whipped in the media for about 9 months, and finally got to point straight back into the cameras and say "bite the wall, suckah"... You HAVE to feel good for him, and I LIKE the fact that he gets into it so well. There is so much more to like about the way he does it than Cowher... Bill was more obnoxious than he was fun to watch, I guess 'cause he was ALL emotion ALL the time (at least as often as I could stand to watch his version of the Steelers)... Josh knows when to cut loose.

Northman
10-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Coach emotions never bothered me. Hence why i like a guy like Cowher. And probably one of the biggest reasons i like McD is because in some ways it would almost look like Shanahan just didnt care anymore. He was just collecting a paycheck and to me it reflected on the players. But with McD you can see the hunger there much like we saw when Shanahan first came in to Denver. I dont think its any surprise to see the emotion of the coach rubbing off on the players and i really truly love it. And im truly amazed at what Nolan has done. I used to hear that our players just flat out stunk but it seems that part of their problem was motivation and the right scheme. Im so happy that we are finally able to utilize and bring some energy back to this football team. I see great things for the future.

gobroncsnv
10-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, you HAVE to admit that we have immensely upgraded at safety, LCB, LB and Dline... Nolan didn't keep much of what or who he saw from last year. No doubt, we have a better scheme, and better coaching, but we wouldn't be CLOSE to where we are now if they would have stood pat on last year's d roster. No way.

WTE
10-14-2009, 08:11 PM
You guys are very lucky to have a Mini Patriot Machine going on in Denver.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Bronco Warrior
10-14-2009, 08:21 PM
You guys are very lucky to have a Mini Patriot Machine going on in Denver.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah like the next decade. outside the actual x' and o's Josh is nothing like BB and that burns alot of people. By the way how's those X'and O's going for the Pats since he has been gone?

Bronco Warrior
10-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Also Josh's personality is different from BB. And while BB is respected and maybe feared by his players ...JOSH is LOVED!!!

gobroncsnv
10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Also Josh's personality is different from BB.

Yeah, Josh HAS one...

Northman
10-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Well, you HAVE to admit that we have immensely upgraded at safety, LCB, LB and Dline... Nolan didn't keep much of what or who he saw from last year. No doubt, we have a better scheme, and better coaching, but we wouldn't be CLOSE to where we are now if they would have stood pat on last year's d roster. No way.

Safety was really the only place we upgraded. All we did with the other positions is switch out a player or two but i wouldnt really call the replacements "HOF'rs", just journeyman. Moss, Doom, and Thomas were all here last year. The biggest difference has been the scheme. Its not hard to see that considering the success that Doom has had on the team thus far.

gobroncsnv
10-15-2009, 06:56 AM
So you want Webster back? Winbborn? The W's in their name really stands for WHIFF on attempted (but failed) tackles.
Sorry, I disagree. We only have Champ, Peterson, DJ, and Woodyard who are in their same starting roles as last year. And for several games last year, Woodyard didn't start. Guess I missed the part where I called any of the new guys hall of famers. By my count, we have 7 out of 11 new starters. Yes, Dumerville is a LB now, so I count that, because he replaced somebody who couldn't get the job done. And, as has been pointed out by several players and coaches, Dumerville is more effective this year because he has a lot more help. Last year, he's pretty much all we had going for us on the front line. For my money, I think we've upgraded a LOT.
But for WHATEVER reason we're having the success we are, I'm GLAD it's happening.

topscribe
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
So you want Webster back? Winbborn? The W's in their name really stands for WHIFF on attempted (but failed) tackles.
Sorry, I disagree. We only have Champ, Peterson, DJ, and Woodyard who are in their same starting roles as last year. And for several games last year, Woodyard didn't start. Guess I missed the part where I called any of the new guys hall of famers. By my count, we have 7 out of 11 new starters. Yes, Dumerville is a LB now, so I count that, because he replaced somebody who couldn't get the job done. And, as has been pointed out by several players and coaches, Dumerville is more effective this year because he has a lot more help. Last year, he's pretty much all we had going for us on the front line. For my money, I think we've upgraded a LOT.
But for WHATEVER reason we're having the success we are, I'm GLAD it's happening.

Peterson and Thomas are also playing in different positions. Yes, they're
still on the D-line, but playing in a three man line is different that a four
man line. In fact, the same case could be made for D.J.--this is his first
year in the 3-4. This defense couldn't be much more different than last
year's if they simply imported an entire defense from another team . . . in
fact, that is essentially what they did . . .

-----

gobroncsnv
10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Jack up the radiator cap and replace everything else...