PDA

View Full Version : Town Hall Discussion: Mile High Salute Trial Period Coming to an End - Input Needed

Tned
12-23-2007, 03:33 PM
We introduced the Mile High Salute system as a 30 day trial. We are approaching the end of that trial period, and due to the fact that Christmas and New Years is approaching, we are creating a Town Hall discussion prior to the actual end of the trial period.

Please provide feedback on the system. Here are some discussion points to consider, but don't feel limited to these:

Do you like the current Mile High Salute system?

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system?

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to?

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again?

Any other feedback about the system or changes you would like to have considered.

Kapaibro
12-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Do you like the current Mile High Salute system? YES!

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? YES!

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? YES!!!!!

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? YES!!!

claymore
12-23-2007, 03:43 PM
No, but at least it is something.

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system?
No

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to?
No

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again?
Kind of

Any other feedback about the system or changes you would like to have considered.

Bear with me, cause I am used to the freaks system, which is one of the reasons I stayed there but here is my input.

I think there should be 3 forms of recognition.

The anonymous One similar to this site's current one. This one should be worth 5 points

And another visual quick and unlimited recognition system. This should be worth 2-3 points.

And another anonymous one hands out negative feed back. This gets used rarley, and is only used for trolls, or really bad posts that you harshly disagree with, or even as a joke to a freind. And this should be -5 points.

That is jut my opinion, and I what I am used to. It has worked really well. And makes you feel good to see a salute on a post that you thought was meaningful, funny, or profound. It also helps cut down on the LMO, LMFAO!'s and stuff. If anyone is more interested, I can post screen shots of how it all works.

Kapaibro
12-23-2007, 03:45 PM

No

No

Kind of

Bear with me, cause I am used to the freaks system, which is one of the reasons I stayed there but here is my input.

The anonymous One similar to this site's current one. This one should be worth 5 points

And another visual quick and unlimited recognition system. This should be worth 2-3 points.

And another anonymous one hands out negative feed back. This gets used rarley, and is only used for trolls, or really bad posts that you harshly disagree with, or even as a joke to a freind. And this should be -5 points.

That is jut my opinion, and I what I am used to. It has worked really well. And makes you feel good to see a salute on a post that you thought was meaningful, funny, or profound. It also helps cut down on the LMO, LMFAO!'s and stuff. If anyone is more interested, I can post screen shots of how it all works.

Wow. 3 systems? What an overdose.

Couldn't we just say "Hey, great post?"

Tned
12-23-2007, 03:48 PM

I think that is often the case with any salute/recognition/CP system is an alternative to a bunch of "hey, great post" or "hey, I agree" type posts. At least that is what I have always heard people say.

Anyway, hopefully we will have a lot more people chime in and give us feedback about what they thought about the trial and what, if any, changes they would like to see.

claymore
12-23-2007, 03:48 PM

Yeah, there is always that. Basically a quick 2 point salute takes one second, and the poster that recieved it knows pretty much right away if they are paying atention.

The other 2 Reps 1 good, and one bad rarley get used, Only if it really strikes you. These are the anonymous ones that you can leave a comment on.

It sounds more complicated than it is..........

yardog
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm with Clay I liked the Freak salute system better but at least this site has one. I would say I use the salute system more than anyone to agree with a post without having to type a response. I like knowing who also agreed with a post by the people who saluted it.

Kapaibro
12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Is it possible to extend the trial period?

Give the new members a chance to try out the system we already have in place?

claymore
12-23-2007, 04:00 PM
The current one here is like the 5 point anonymous one we had at the freak. Exept you had 2 choices, I approve, or I disaprove, and you put your explanation.

The opnly addition to the current system would be adding the I disaprove to the current one, and the quick reaction salute, where it is not anonymous, and quick is quick easy and to the point...........

Bronco4ever
12-23-2007, 04:03 PM

No

No

Kind of

Salute (if it existed)! I find it to be healthy to get some feedback on the things you post. It gives you confidence to keep posting and challenges you to post articulately and with a little wit. Like you said, it worked great at the freak with no set backs at all but I would feel a little bad pushing our priorities on others as soon as we step in the door. It's like moving into someone's house and immediately saying "I want the walls painted puke green right now". I don't feel comfortable pushing my preferances on everyone else but if we could work something out similar to what clay said, I wouldn't complain.

Tned
12-23-2007, 04:08 PM
The current one here is like the 5 point anonymous one we had at the freak. Exept you had 2 choices, I approve, or I disaprove, and you put your explanation.

The opnly addition to the current system would be adding the I disaprove to the current one, and the quick reaction salute, where it is not anonymous, and quick is quick easy and to the point...........

Basically, they are two different systems.

The approve/disaprove (we have disaprove turned off) is the built in vBulletin reputation system, although we renamed it to Mile High Salute and replaced the little scale button with a salute gif. This is just like the CP system on broncomania, but with no points or statuses that existed on mania.

The broncosfreak salute system, or the High 5 system I described here: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2123 (there are screen shots here), is basically a public acknowledgement of a post. Like the CP/Reputation system, can be configured with or without points being tracked. This system is a very simple method to accomplish the same as a bunch of "I agree" type posts, and is a very popular vBulletin addon.

The High 5 system we previously talked about, is akin to the 'salute' that was used at the broncosfreak and looks like this image below. It gives you the ability to publically acknowledge agreement (not disagreement) with a post or more accurately, to publically acknowledge a post:

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5Post.jpg

Tned
12-23-2007, 04:10 PM
For those people that weren't active on the forum the last time we discussed a recognition system, it would be good to scan through the link I provided in my last post.

One thing that you will find is that many of us (not all, but many) that came over from the mania were adverse to putting in a system that tracked points and/or had any statuses tied to them, due to all the problems that occurred on mania around points and statuses. I think most of us like some way of acknowledging posts, but witnessed the negative side of points and statuses.

claymore
12-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Basically, they are two different systems.

The approve/disaprove (we have disaprove turned off) is the built in vBulletin reputation system, although we renamed it to Mile High Salute and replaced the little scale button with a salute gif. This is just like the CP system on broncomania, but with no points or statuses that existed on mania.

The broncosfreak salute system, or the High 5 system I described here: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2123 (there are screen shots here), is basically a public acknowledgement of a post. Like the CP/Reputation system, can be configured with or without points being tracked. This system is a very simple method to accomplish the same as a bunch of "I agree" type posts, and is a very popular vBulletin addon.

The High 5 system we previously talked about, is akin to the 'salute' that was used at the broncosfreak and looks like this image below. It gives you the ability to publically acknowledge agreement (not disagreement) with a post or more accurately, to publically acknowledge a post:

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/highfives/H5Post.jpg

If I had to have one, it would be something like this. I dont care that much if points are tied to it, I just liked tracking how many I had. I never knew what the points did for you anyway.........

Lonestar
12-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Do you like the current Mile High Salute system? yes

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? no

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? YES

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? Something to look at as we grow

:salute: to TNED

Bronco4ever
12-23-2007, 04:18 PM
For those people that weren't active on the forum the last time we discussed a recognition system, it would be good to scan through the link I provided in my last post.

One thing that you will find is that many of us (not all, but many) that came over from the mania were adverse to putting in a system that tracked points and/or had any statuses tied to them, due to all the problems that occurred on mania around points and statuses. I think most of us like some way of acknowledging posts, but witnessed the negative side of points and statuses.

Right, and that's what I kinda meant in my post above. You guys are coming from a different situation from us. We came from a very successful rep system at the freak where as most of you had a skewed system at BM. It's hard to make everyone happy I guess.

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I prefer the system we had the Freak with salutes noted at the bottom of the page with the person's name that gave them to you.

claymore
12-23-2007, 04:21 PM
What is it about the anonymous nature of the system? I am not complaining, just trying to gain perspective.

Another thing I like about the non anonymous salute, is that you didnt have to go to your profile to see it. If someone hit you with a :salute: than you knew to check, and see if they neede a response.

Tned
12-23-2007, 04:31 PM
What is it about the anonymous nature of the system? I am not complaining, just trying to gain perspective.

Another thing I like about the non anonymous salute, is that you didnt have to go to your profile to see it. If someone hit you with a :salute: than you knew to check, and see if they neede a response.

On BM, there was a ton of CP whoring. People that formed cliques to give each other CPs. Stuff like that. That, and what most of us are used to was the CP or vBulletin built in reputation system. The Freak salute system, or the High Five system shown above is a vBulletin add in, so is less common on message boards. Those that visited the Freak were used to it, those that spent most of their time on mania, never saw it in use.

Tned
12-23-2007, 04:32 PM
By the way, with Christmas being only a few days away, we are going to likely have to leave this discussion going for a while, because we need to get feedback from as many members as possible, and some are away (or busy) for Christmas.

yardog
12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Not sure we all cared much about the point as we did the name that sluted our post.

claymore
12-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Not sure we all cared much about the point as we did the name that sluted our post.
Yup, and dont get us wrong Tned, we are just trying to contribute as members, we dont want to disrupt, we just want to unpack our bags and hang out.

Tned
12-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Yup, and dont get us wrong Tned, we are just trying to contribute as members, we dont want to disrupt, we just want to unpack our bags and hang out.

I can only speak for myself, but I certainly am glad you are here. Clearly the Freak culture and the Broncosforums culture (derivative of broncomania culture) are a bit different, but I don't think they are dramatically so.

yardog
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Thanks Clay I didn't mean to sound demanding in any way. JMO of the salute sytem up for debate. Wow I hope we get settled soon I'm typing way to much today.

claymore
12-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I certainly am glad you are here. Clearly the Freak culture and the Broncosforums culture (derivative of broncomania culture) are a bit different, but I don't think they are dramatically so.You are the new Martin Luther, and we all broke off from the catholic church............. Im sure both parties will stay to themselves at first, then we will all form a bond, and intermingle more.

Its like the highschool dance................

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
You are the new Martin Luther, and we all broke off from the catholic church............. Im sure both parties will stay to themselves at first, then we will all form a bond, and intermingle more.

Quit being a dork. Good grief, just get on his leg and gnaw a bit.

Tned
12-23-2007, 04:56 PM
You are the new Martin Luther, and we all broke off from the catholic church............. Im sure both parties will stay to themselves at first, then we will all form a bond, and intermingle more.

My great aunt, a nun for 50 years, must be turning over in her grave hearing me referred to has Martin Luther. ;)

dogfish
12-23-2007, 07:34 PM
tned, looks like you've got a new nickname. . . . :lol:

more or less-- everyone knows that it was my preference not to have any type of system, but if we have to have one i'm pretty satisfied with this one. . .

YES! yes yes yes. . . . attach any type of points tracking and everything immediately goes to hell in a handbasket. . .

absolutely-- if i want to publicly acknowledge a good post i can always do so with a post of my own. . . i'm against anything that i think will result in "CP whoring," as it really decreased my enjoyment of BM in the long term-- i think this board is doing FINE wihtout any of that junk, and i very much want to see it stay that way. . .

no real opinion here. . .

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 07:39 PM
If people are offended about other people whoring rep points,. Who cares. It's all in fun. I could give a rats behind who has what rep points and how many. We never had a problem with it at the Freak, ever. Everybody gave salutes which resulted in points. There was no competition and nobody complained about who had how much. it was fun. It never got out of hand. we even had negative rep threads where if you posted in a certain thread you lost points,. We had fun with the salutes and the points. Goodness sakes, it's all in fun people. If anybody is worried that somebody has more rep than them, shame on them Loosen up and have fun. Thats the objective.

dogfish
12-23-2007, 07:54 PM
If people are offended about other people whoring rep points,. Who cares. It's all in fun. I could give a rats behind who has what rep points and how many. We never had a problem with it at the Freak, ever. Everybody gave salutes which resulted in points. There was no competition and nobody complained about who had how much. it was fun. It never got out of hand. we even had negative rep threads where if you posted in a certain thread you lost points,. We had fun with the salutes and the points. Goodness sakes, it's all in fun people. If anybody is worried that somebody has more rep than them, shame on them Loosen up and have fun. Thats the objective.

unfortunately, it did get really out of hand at the board where most of us are from. . . i personally could care less about points, post count, or any of that stuff-- i was one of the points leaders on BM, but it really never meant that much to me. . . i liked knowing that people had enjoyed or appreciated things that i'd posted, but i just got so damned tired of how people viewed it as a status symbol. . . i see where you're coming from with "just ignore it," but it really got to be a pain in the ass when every day there were stupid, pointless "i need CP" (the equivalent of salutes) threads popping up and driving more interesting threads off the front page. . . people regularly made a freakin' drama out of it, and IMO it just wasn't worth all the arguing, bickering and pettiness. . . it was way more distraction than it was worth. . .

plus, it was a big draw for some of the, shall we say, less mature posters. . . my observation is that the football discussion-- which is primarily what i come here for-- has been at a consistently MUCH higher level here at this board, and my main concern is keeping it that way. . . i don't want the little fanboys from BM gravitating over here, and if we don't have that type of system in place i think it tends to discourage them. . .

Tned
12-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Good point for you guys from over there. We just had a salute thing where a person saluted you and you got points for it but nobody could see your salute (rep) points but you. It was not public info. It was stored on your control panel. You saw who saluted you at the bottom of the post but never the points. So, we never had anything to complain about. it was Great. You got saluted and it showed who saluted you but nobody ever saw your points but you.

The other factor on Broncosmania, was those CP points not only were visible (more or less, by bars like the Freak had that went with post count), but also your titles changed, you got new features like bigger avatars or the ability to send PMs to more than one person, and even private forums that you got into based on how many points you had. So, on bmania, there was real 'value' attributed to points, which I believe created most, if not all, the problems.

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 08:07 PM
The other factor on Broncosmania, was those CP points not only were visible (more or less, by bars like the Freak had that went with post count), but also your titles changed, you got new features like bigger avatars or the ability to send PMs to more than one person, and even private forums that you got into based on how many points you had. So, on bmania, there was real 'value' attributed to points, which I believe created most, if not all, the problems.

Oh well hell, ours were worthless...I mean, if they have value, they could be a problem. We just never worried about it. We just liked seeing who saluted your post. Nobody cared about the points or who had how many. They were meaningless, but personal only to the member.

Tned
12-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Oh well hell, ours were worthless...I mean, if they have value, they could be a problem. We just never worried about it. We just liked seeing who saluted your post. Nobody cared about the points or who had how many. They were meaningless, but personal only to the member.

At mania, it got out of hand. There were countless VERY heated discussions about what was or wasn't a proper way to give CP, etc. All of the 'perks' you go as your point value increased created tons of problems.

turftoad
12-23-2007, 08:37 PM
At mania, it got out of hand. There were countless VERY heated discussions about what was or wasn't a proper way to give CP, etc. All of the 'perks' you go as your point value increased created tons of problems.

Our salute system never got out of hand at the Freak however, we did have once what we called Freakbucks. Freakbucks did get out of hand and we did away with them. Best thing we ever did.

claymore
12-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I only remember CP's being brought up once, because the were useless. They only made you feel good... Only way you knew is if someone told them........

claymore
12-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Another thing, after about a thousand posts the bars were the same............... I had 6 at like 500, and Niner had 6 at like 30,000...... Didnt meen crap.

The salute system was Mainly a LOL, LMAO, LMFAO, LMMFAO, or I agree with you. Thats all it served.

KCL
12-23-2007, 11:11 PM

I seem to remember those threads Tned....:laugh:

Tned
12-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I seem to remember those threads Tned....:laugh:

Ohhh, yea, me too. I think you drove me to drink!!!!!! :D

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 11:14 PM
The salute/rep system is harmless. No one knows your rep points but the member themselves. We used it with no problems at the Freak.

KCL
12-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Ohhh, yea, me too. I think you drove me to drink!!!!!! :D

like wise...:D

Broncos Mtnman
12-23-2007, 11:50 PM
We introduced the Mile High Salute system as a 30 day trial. We are approaching the end of that trial period, and due to the fact that Christmas and New Years is approaching, we are creating a Town Hall discussion prior to the actual end of the trial period.

Please provide feedback on the system. Here are some discussion points to consider, but don't feel limited to these:

I like the idea of the Mile High Salute, but I don't like the way it's set up.

No. I think there is some concern over the crap we dealt with over at the "other" boards, but we aren't that board. I would like to see some sort of points or status assigned to the system.

In the spirit of our new members from the Freak, I really liked their system, and I would like to see something like that here.

With there being no value to the recognition in our current system, I think the limit and spread is unecessary. If we were to change to a point system, then a limit and spread would be the right way to go.

I think we kinda threw the baby out with the bath water when we developed our system. The CP debates from the other place left a sour taste in many mouths. But, I think we are better than that here, and that we can "survive" a point system.

BroncoJoe
12-23-2007, 11:52 PM
For what it's worth, I agree with everything mtnman said above.

Nice work.. If we had salutes, I'd give you one :D

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 12:05 AM
For what it's worth, I agree with everything mtnman said above.

Nice work.. If we had salutes, I'd give you one :D

We do..check you yellow guy in the upper right hand corner to give a salute.

-- on to the topic ----

Do you like the current Mile High Salute system? Yes

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? YesI feel people get too caught up in status and stop making quaility posts. WIth no status assigned, people generally make better thought provoking posts because they aren't caught up in just getting points...thats just my opinion. I also feel there are members that haven't joined us here from BM for that very reason. They are too caught up in the CP system rather then good conversation.

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? I like it the way it is.

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? Yes

So far so good I think. I am sure with these new BF members and all of us here we could even make it better. Tned, good idea about keeping this up after Christmas.

Tned
12-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Tned, good idea about keeping this up after Christmas.

This and the rules discussion are too important to rush. Many of us will have limited time online over the next week, like me I am cleaning to get ready for tomorrow.... Crap, I knew I forgot to do something, clean. No wonder the wife is glaring.

I think we will keep both of these going through the new year, so we make sure we get all the feedback we can.

:salute: to everyone for providing such great feedback in both threads.

Tned
12-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Ok, in order to facilitate good discussion, I have enabled the High 5 system in a single forum/thread, which is here: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7296

The system will be active as long as this discussion is active and then will be disabled pending the advisory board deciding how we will proceed.

One thing to consider when looking at the demo, is that as we did with our Mile High Salute, we have the option of tracking how many High 5's have been received, or to remove all tracking, and only show the individual High 5's below a given post (see the demo link above if you don't understand what I mean).

The reason it is important to seperate those two things is that many members are against anything status related, which involve tracking total points, salutes, etc. The system can be setup to track the total salutes recieved or not, that would be an option we have, and needs to be discussed.

Tned
12-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I typically like to seperate my posts about our options, what we are discussing, etc., from my opinion, so here is my opinion about this subject:

I believe that the two systems can live side by side.

The Mile High Salute allows a quick way to privately salute a post and send a quick message, without the time it takes to send a PM.

The High 5 system allows you to publically recognize a post, withouth flooding a thread with "I agrees" or "Right on" type posts.

However, due to the sensitivity about tracking of points and the cluster that happened at mania, I would suggest not tracking the number of salutes recevied, and ONLY showing them below each post.

Ricky
12-26-2007, 07:24 PM
As a mod on the Freak, I saw first hand how the points get to be too much of an ego massager (i.e. freakbucks). I think both the salute and the high five can co-exist and not be a problem if the points are not tracked.

Cleveland Rocks
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
I am not particularly fond of it.

I was strongly against the Contributor Point system on B-mania and actively asked individuals to not give me CP there. I have not been fond of this "Mile High Salute" system since it was initiated. There may be no "rewards" for them as on B-mania. But since it is a public display of individuals supporting or not supporting a post. Cliques may very well arise.

Friends may very well just give High Fives to their friends and such. I have never been fond of public rewards nor ridicules. I do not like flaunting my successes nor my failures to other individuals and consider it to be rude.

Also, in this thread, I saw that you said you can have it turned off? Do you mean moderators can have it turned off or individual posters? Like if "such and such" doesn't like the system can he turn it to anonymous or whatever.

Broncolingus
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Think the salute is a must...a way to share a 'right-on' with some folks...

Don't really care if it's 'public' or not...

Don't really care about rep and points...

JMO

slim
12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I like it a lot. Just an easy way of agreeing with someone or throwing down a LOL. I don't really care about the rep points. I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Tned
12-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Also, in this thread, I saw that you said you can have it turned off? Do you mean moderators can have it turned off or individual posters? Like if "such and such" doesn't like the system can he turn it to anonymous or whatever.

I have to fully test this, but I believe I can turn it off (both in terms of giving and receiving) for individual users. However, I think those users will see other posts that have been High Fived, they will simply not see a button to High Five a post, and nobody will be able to High Five a post that user has made.

Broncolingus
12-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I have to fully test this, but I believe I can turn it off (both in terms of giving and receiving) for individual users. However, I think those users will see other posts that have been High Fived, they will simply not see a button to High Five a post, and nobody will be able to High Five a post that user has made.

Appreciate the work and effort, Tne...thx.

dogfish
12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Ok, in order to facilitate good discussion, I have enabled the High 5 system in a single forum/thread, which is here: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7296

The system will be active as long as this discussion is active and then will be disabled pending the advisory board deciding how we will proceed.

One thing to consider when looking at the demo, is that as we did with our Mile High Salute, we have the option of tracking how many High 5's have been received, or to remove all tracking, and only show the individual High 5's below a given post (see the demo link above if you don't understand what I mean).

The reason it is important to seperate those two things is that many members are against anything status related, which involve tracking total points, salutes, etc. The system can be setup to track the total salutes recieved or not, that would be an option we have, and needs to be discussed.

tried it-- it works. . .

i'm still not in favor of any type of public recognition though, even if points aren't tracked-- i simply don't see the need for constantly patting each other on the back. . . if you really like a post well enough to recognize it, you can take the 2.7 seconds necessary to type a short response-- if it's not even worth that, does it really need to be recognized at all? if we absolutely HAVE to have some type of system, i vastly prefer the more private mile high salute the way we currently have it set up. . . truth be told, though, i liked this place better the way it was initially, before we had any recognition system in place at all. . . . i certainly don't think that we need two different systems. . . .

Jody
12-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I prefer the 'private' mile high system as well and only one system.
I think this is the happy medium for all on the board.

claymore
12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Is there any way to make the Private one show up lilke a PM, when it tells you you have one.......... I just like to know right away, and dont know what the salution is........ If we are worried about tracking stuff, we might as well hide the post count...

Tned
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Is there any way to make the Private one show up lilke a PM, when it tells you you have one.......... I just like to know right away, and dont know what the salution is........ If we are worried about tracking stuff, we might as well hide the post count...

No, there is no simple way to do that.

dogfish
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
If we are worried about tracking stuff, we might as well hide the post count...

believe me, i wish they would. . . . ;)

okay T, here's what i don't understand. . . if it's not being publicly tracked, why does this appear under everyone's other info?

High Five: 1
High Fived 2 Times in 1 Post

:confused:

slim
12-26-2007, 08:31 PM
A few people have said they don't think it should be tracked. Just curious as to why. I don't see any harm in it.

Cleveland Rocks
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
A few people have said they don't think it should be tracked. Just curious as to why. I don't see any harm in it.

I hate public recognition. For me it is a matter of principle.

For me it is a matter of dignity and chastity.

Jody
12-26-2007, 08:37 PM
I hate public recognition. For me it is a matter of principle.

For me it is a matter of dignity and frugalness.

principle? yikes. I don't think the mile high salute is that serious in nature.

Tned
12-26-2007, 08:37 PM
okay T, here's what i don't understand. . . if it's not being publicly tracked, why does this appear under everyone's other info?

:confused:

As I said, for this demo, it is, but we have the "option" to not track it if we choose to implement it without tracking.

In order to change that, I have to go into the template and remove the code, which is doable, but then people couldn't see what the tracking option is to decide whether or not we want it.

believe me, i wish they would. . . . ;)

As to this, remember you are "they" as a member of the advisory board. If as a community we want to remove post counts, then we can certainly create a seperate Town Hall discussion on this, and if the consensus seems to be that people would prefer that removed, then the advisory board (you, me and the others) would certainly consider that input as we were making future decisions.

Cleveland Rocks
12-26-2007, 08:38 PM
principle? yikes. I don't think the mile high salute is that serious in nature.

I am a very serious person. Couldn't you tell?

I don't have much humor. Well, I have a particularly dry sense of humor. I am very sarcastic as well. But when I am sarcastic - I make it extremely obvious.

dogfish
12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
As to this, remember you are "they" as a member of the advisory board. If as a community we want to remove post counts, then we can certainly create a seperate Town Hall discussion on this, and if the consensus seems to be that people would prefer that removed, then the advisory board (you, me and the others) would certainly consider that input as we were making future decisions.

oh, i know-- guess i could have worded that differently. . . it's something i've never brought up because i don't see much interest in it from anyone else, and i don't have any desire to "abuse" my advisory board position to push any personal agenda. . .

Requiem / The Dagda
12-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Pointless, all of it - especially this high five stuff. All lame.

MOtorboat
12-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Pointless, all of it - especially this high five stuff. All lame.

Well, the board's going downhill, so what do you care...:uh:

girler
12-26-2007, 09:39 PM
I like the high five/salute option, I don't care if it's "counted" or not. I just like high fiving when someone makes me laugh or something.

Jody
12-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I like the high five/salute option, I don't care if it's "counted" or not. I just like high fiving when someone makes me laugh or something.

I'm with you on this. It's just simple and it's

FUN....!

MOtorboat
12-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm with you on this. It's just simple and it's

FUN....!

Exactly...

Nothing wrong with a little fun...

Ricky
12-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Exactly...

Nothing wrong with a little fun...

Short people got no reason to ..........have fun

MOtorboat
12-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Short people got no reason to ..........have fun

Short people need loving too!

Watchthemiddle
12-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Whats with all this counting stuff???

How come none of my previous 200 high fives don't show up??

:cool::cool:

Tned
12-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Whats with all this counting stuff???

How come none of my previous 200 high fives don't show up??

:cool::cool:

The counting is only temporary, as part of the High Five demo. The Mile High Salute's do not track any points. If we implement the High Five System, we will have to decide whether or not to track them.

MOtorboat
12-26-2007, 10:54 PM
The counting is only temporary, as part of the High Five demo. The Mile High Salute's do not track any points. If we implement the High Five System, we will have to decide whether or not to track them.

I have like 12 mile high salutes and no points, what gives?

Tned
12-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I have like 12 mile high salutes and no points, what gives?

Mile High Salutes have no points associated with them. If you click the FAQ link next to the User CP link, it describes how it is setup.

Watchthemiddle
12-26-2007, 10:57 PM
AND....how come I don't know what post I have points for???

I want to know what fabulous post I had that gave me points. Is there any place where I can see that??

Tned
12-26-2007, 10:59 PM
AND....how come I don't know what post I have points for???

I want to know what fabulous post I had that gave me points. Is there any place where I can see that??

WTM, there are no points tracked for the Mile High Salute system. The High Five demo I setup, is including tacking (for purposes of people seeing how it works), but the only place you can get a high five is in that demo thread.

Broncolingus
12-26-2007, 10:59 PM
How about a miniature player doing a crazy, spastic, idiotic dance...or an icon that runs 50 yards down an imaginary field choking himself...?

...all when we post something that is completely obvious and everyone knows we should have posted to begin with…

NightTrainLayne
12-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I like the idea of the Mile High Salute, but I don't like the way it's set up.

No. I think there is some concern over the crap we dealt with over at the "other" boards, but we aren't that board. I would like to see some sort of points or status assigned to the system.

In the spirit of our new members from the Freak, I really liked their system, and I would like to see something like that here.

With there being no value to the recognition in our current system, I think the limit and spread is unecessary. If we were to change to a point system, then a limit and spread would be the right way to go.

I think we kinda threw the baby out with the bath water when we developed our system. The CP debates from the other place left a sour taste in many mouths. But, I think we are better than that here, and that we can "survive" a point system.

I agree very much with this post. Over at the Freak we had salutes which were visible to everyone and tracked. They added to your CP points, but past that none of that mattered.

There wasn't any "reward" for having a high reputation/CP point value. Our titles would change based on it, but we could also choos any title we wanted. If you go and look at the Freak, if you rank all the users based on reputation, only a handful of the highest rated users even used the title that their points gave them. The highest title was "Legendary Ring of Famer", but I think only 1 or 2 of the users that have rep high enough to earn that title actually use it.

In other words, there was some tangible evidence of a posters reputation, but there was not reward, or any special consideration given to those users, and when a post received multiple salutes, it made it very obvious that it was well worth the effort to read it.

I never saw an abuse of that current system at the Freak. . .there's no reason to, it wouldn't get you anywhere.

Watchthemiddle
12-26-2007, 11:12 PM
WTM, there are no points tracked for the Mile High Salute system. The High Five demo I setup, is including tacking (for purposes of people seeing how it works), but the only place you can get a high five is in that demo thread.

Tned...you'll have to excuse me and you should know me better by now....

I catch on a little slower then most...

:strongy:

Tned
12-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Tned...you'll have to excuse me and you should know me better by now....

I catch on a little slower then most...

:strongy:

Not a problem. There is quite a bit of confusion, because we have two groups of people that were very used to the system on their previous message boards. Our current mile high salute, is very close to the CP system, so most of us are much more familiar with it, then the high five system, which is basically the same as what the freaks had.

Watchthemiddle
12-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Not a problem. There is quite a bit of confusion, because we have two groups of people that were very used to the system on their previous message boards. Our current mile high salute, is very close to the CP system, so most of us are much more familiar with it, then the high five system, which is basically the same as what the freaks had.

Coooo

Just like all the other "feel out threads" ..and ideas...keep this one open for a few weeks.

Let everyone seei it, experience it, get over venting about our team not making the playoffs and then post a poll/question/thread about a system and see what happens.

It could take a few months, but all we have it time. It can't hurt.

:2cents:

Tned
12-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Coooo

Just like all the other "feel out threads" ..and ideas...keep this one open for a few weeks.

Let everyone seei it, experience it, get over venting about our team not making the playoffs and then post a poll/question/thread about a system and see what happens.

It could take a few months, but all we have it time. It can't hurt.

:2cents:

Well, I don't think we will leave this topic open for months. We will leave it open for a little while, becaue of people being scarce during the holidays. However, there are a lot more regulars that have logged in and posted in other threads than have posted here.

Everyone needs to realize that at Broncosforums.com, they really have input in what happens. However, if they are silent and don't give input, then the advisory board is obligated to make decisions based on the input of those that DO contribute to the Town Hall discussions.

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Yes

Yes

Doesn't matter.

Yes

I would be completely against any sort of point system.

Tned
12-27-2007, 02:20 AM
I went ahead and removed the High Five totals showing up in the user profiles and near the post counts and adopt a bronco area, because people seemed to be focusing more on that aspect of it, then the High fives under each post. They should be considered independently. Those that havn't gone to the demo thread to see how the High 5 demo thread should do so.

MOtorboat
12-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I went ahead and removed the High Five totals showing up in the user profiles and near the post counts and adopt a bronco area, because people seemed to be focusing more on that aspect of it, then the High fives under each post. They should be considered independently. Those that havn't gone to the demo thread to see how the High 5 demo thread should do so.

Are we going to be able to see who high-fived our posts?

SR
12-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Click "User CP"

MOtorboat
12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Click "User CP"

Right, those are the "mile high salutes" not the "hi-fives"

SR
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Right, those are the "mile high salutes" not the "hi-fives"

Then WTF is a high five?:confused:

MOtorboat
12-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Then WTF is a high five?:confused:

It is like our "salute" system over at the Freak. Tned only put it in one thread to test it out.

If you like what someone is saying, there's a little "hi-five" button that you click and it shows who has hi-fived the post at the bottom of the post.

SR
12-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah I saw it and I didn't like it. I actually am beginning to think that a CP system like over at Broncomania would be good.

Jody
12-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah I saw it and I didn't like it. I actually am beginning to think that a CP system like over at Broncomania would be good.

you might just give dog a heart attack talking like that. :laugh:

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 10:52 AM
you might just give dog a heart attack talking like that. :laugh:

...that, or call him a Husker fan.

(...good morning, BTW...)

Jody
12-27-2007, 10:55 AM
...that, or call him a Husker fan.

(...good morning, BTW...)

Good morning. You know, I might actually get sick of the Huskers myself.:D

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Good morning. You know, I might actually get sick of the Huskers myself.:D

See, there is hope...

...and your parents will be so proud.

Tned
12-27-2007, 01:56 PM

We are a long way from that, as we don't even know if we are going to implement the High Five system. The only thing that has changed from yesterday to today, is that I removed the totals (7 high 5s in 2 posts), so that people would focus on the actual high fives that appear under the post (in the demo thread) rather than whether points/tracking will cause problems.

At this point, we have an interesting dynamic that isn't very surprising. Those that originally came from mania like what we currently have, which is a derivitive of the CP system they had there. The people that came from broncosfreak like the high five system as it is almost identical to the freak salute.

Most of the 'discussion' is people telling the other side why what they are used to is better.

So, at this point, we just need to continue talking this out, and anyone that hasn't gone into the High Five demo forum/thread, please do so, create a post, and give someone a High 5, so you will make sure you know how it works.

frauschieze
12-27-2007, 06:19 PM
One thing I liked about the Freak Salute (the high five here) was it made it easier to scan through threads and catch some of the 'important' or 'good' posts, especially if you hadn't logged in for a while or a thread 'took off' and there were 10 or 15 new pages.

cpr940
12-27-2007, 09:08 PM

I wasn't aware that it had gone active. I had not seen any signs that it was. Was there anything different?

I guess my feedback would be that changes need to be more obvious to see, because not everyone carefully looks at the design.

claymore
12-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I know we all prefer our "own ways" but I will say this. I have been a member of all the boards, and have liked them all at one point or another.

The freak had the best IMO. You had rep points, but they didnt count for anything. If you gave to many positive rep, or salutes you couldnt neg rep anyone. A member with a 100 posts had as much power as one with 10,000.

I have never seen a point based clique. A funny post is a funny post, a crap post is crap. And a well written post is what it is.

I handed out a salute everytime somebody made me laugh, or made a good point. I gave rep to members that had written special posts one way or the other.

It had its flaws though, you could only track five salutes/rep/neg rep cumalitve. And more often than not, thats where you start your day, looking at your cp, to see if you made someone laugh, wrote a good post etc......... And reply if necessary.................

Tned
12-27-2007, 09:44 PM
I wasn't aware that it had gone active. I had not seen any signs that it was. Was there anything different?

I guess my feedback would be that changes need to be more obvious to see, because not everyone carefully looks at the design.

A month ago, we added a this little guy http://broncosforums.com/forums/images/buttons/reputation.gif to the upper right of each post, where the CP scale was on mania. That is the Mile High Salute, and we said it was being implemented as a 30 day trial. This thread was started, because that trial period is coming to an end. When we implemented, I created an announcement that shows on the top of all forums, and I think a thread in the major forums.

In addition, we are now demoing (for purposes of this discussion) a system similar to the BroncosFreak salute, which is called the High 5 system here. There is a link to the demo and explanation in this post: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=70085#post70085

claymore
12-27-2007, 09:48 PM
A month ago, we added a this little guy http://broncosforums.com/forums/images/buttons/reputation.gif to the upper right of each post, where the CP scale was on mania. That is the Mile High Salute, and we said it was being implemented as a 30 day trial. This thread was started, because that trial period is coming to an end. When we implemented, I created an announcement that shows on the top of all forums, and I think a thread in the major forums.

In addition, we are now demoing (for purposes of this discussion) a system similar to the BroncosFreak salute, which is called the High 5 system here. There is a link to the demo and explanation in this post: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=70085#post70085
Did you get an extension on this one (MH Salute) Tned?

NightTrainLayne
12-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I know we all prefer our "own ways" but I will say this. I have been a member of all the boards, and have liked them all at one point or another.

The freak had the best IMO. You had rep points, but they didnt count for anything. If you gave to many positive rep, or salutes you couldnt neg rep anyone. A member with a 100 posts had as much power as one with 10,000.

I have never seen a point based clique. A funny post is a funny post, a crap post is crap. And a well written post is what it is.

I handed out a salute everytime somebody made me laugh, or made a good point. I gave rep to members that had written special posts one way or the other.

It had its flaws though, you could only track five salutes/rep/neg rep cumalitve. And more often than not, thats where you start your day, looking at your cp, to see if you made someone laugh, wrote a good post etc......... And reply if necessary.................

Well said Clay. The Freak's reputation worked much like the real world. You earned your own reputation, but in the end, your reputation on it's own doesn't get you much. Unlike the real world, someone brand new with little reputation was able to hold his/her own with the "big-wigs" and build up their own reputation.

Maybe we were just lucky to have a great group of people there who didn't take advantage and form destructive cliques. . .but I don't think that's the case. The Freak was around for way too long and John and the others just happened to perfect a system that worked well with very little in the way of complaints.

Tned
12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Did you get an extension on this one (MH Salute) Tned?

We will leave the mile high salute (little yellow saluting guy) going as long as this town hall discussion is going on and until the advisory board makes a decision to: make it permanent, change it, remove it.

The High 5 (freak's salute), will stay only in the demo forum until this Town Hall discussion is completed, and the advisory board decides to adopt or not adopt that system, either to replace or in addition to the Mile High Salute.

Well said Clay. The Freak's reputation worked much like the real world. You earned your own reputation, but in the end, your reputation on it's own doesn't get you much. Unlike the real world, someone brand new with little reputation was able to hold his/her own with the "big-wigs" and build up their own reputation.

Maybe we were just lucky to have a great group of people there who didn't take advantage and form destructive cliques. . .but I don't think that's the case. The Freak was around for way too long and John and the others just happened to perfect a system that worked well with very little in the way of complaints.

I think a lot had to do with the makeup of the forums. Mania, as the 'official' Denver Broncos site had a ton of new posters all the time, while when it first started (before my time) it apparently wasn't abused much, then when I joined, it was still pretty good, but people were already starting to bet with them, help each other achieve levels, etc. Then, the last year or so, it got completely out of hand. Part was that the higher your rep and longer you were there, the more rep points a person would recieve everytime you gave them a CP (rep), and due to cliques that formed to help people increase their rep, we were getting people that might have 500 posts, but 1500 or 2000 CP points, vs. the old timers that might have gotten 1,500 to 2,000 points over 7,000-15,000 posts (or more).

NightTrainLayne
12-27-2007, 10:03 PM
We will leave the mile high salute (little yellow saluting guy) going as long as this town hall discussion is going on and until the advisory board makes a decision to: make it permanent, change it, remove it.

The High 5 (freak's salute), will stay only in the demo forum until this Town Hall discussion is completed, and the advisory board decides to adopt or not adopt that system, either to replace or in addition to the Mile High Salute.

I think a lot had to do with the makeup of the forums. Mania, as the 'official' Denver Broncos site had a ton of new posters all the time, while when it first started (before my time) it apparently wasn't abused much, then when I joined, it was still pretty good, but people were already starting to bet with them, help each other achieve levels, etc. Then, the last year or so, it got completely out of hand. Part was that the higher your rep and longer you were there, the more rep points a person would recieve everytime you gave them a CP (rep), and due to cliques that formed to help people increase their rep, we were getting people that might have 500 posts, but 1500 or 2000 CP points, vs. the old timers that might have gotten 1,500 to 2,000 points over 7,000-15,000 posts (or more).

That's my point. At the Freak the rep points were basically meaningless. There was no use in betting with them, or forming cliques to help increase rep. It didn't matter.

Heck, we even had two or three "Salute Whore" threads totally mocking the whole thing about salute counts and rep.

I would say that for the most part the cp/rep points pretty well matched up with the true reputation for that particular poster.

It's all good, whatever you guys decide will be fine, we'll adjust. But I must say again that the BEST part of our salute feature at the freak (High 5) here was that it was visible, and helped to point out posts that were worthy of reading and worthy of recognition.

Day1BroncoFan
12-28-2007, 01:27 AM
That's my point. At the Freak the rep points were basically meaningless. There was no use in betting with them, or forming cliques to help increase rep. It didn't matter.

Heck, we even had two or three "Salute Whore" threads totally mocking the whole thing about salute counts and rep.

I would say that for the most part the cp/rep points pretty well matched up with the true reputation for that particular poster.

It's all good, whatever you guys decide will be fine, we'll adjust. But I must say again that the BEST part of our salute feature at the freak (High 5) here was that it was visible, and helped to point out posts that were worthy of reading and worthy of recognition.

Is there a possible way a person could search for posts that had received a lot of high 5's? If it isn't visible or even if it is this would be a faster way to find posts that had drawn a lot of attention.

Tned
12-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Is there a possible way a person could search for posts that had received a lot of high 5's? If it isn't visible or even if it is this would be a faster way to find posts that had drawn a lot of attention.

One of the built in features of the High 5 system, if it isn't disabled, is that if you go to the "search" link on the top nav bar and click it, below the search box is "avanced search", but the High 5 system adds another menu option called "Find All High Fived Posts", which will show you all the posts that have recieved High 5's, in descending date order, I believe.

fcspikeit
12-28-2007, 01:47 AM

Yes, But it would be better if it kept track of the total # of salutes.

NO. I would like them to be counted. Even if the total # didn't show up for everyone to see I would like to know how much the fellow members here think I bring to the board.

Yes, I think this is a good idea. More times then not threads turn into one side against another. If people can see you gave them a salute or high five they will right off that bat discredit what you have to say because your on the other side. It will also Carrie over into other threads.

NO. This is pointless. If points are counted then you should have to spread them out. If there are no points then for what reason should you not be able to give the same person salutes over and over? Truth is, over on the main I try to give CP points to people just to find I can't because I have to spread them out. I don't even remember giving that member a CP? What they say is true. Great minds think alike and its to bad you can't give CP's to the same person back to back in different threads. But I can see the reason you can't do that there. If we are not going to keep points then there is no reason we can't do that here!

As most of you know, I am now running the pick'em. It's cool to get The salutes from members here saying they are grateful for what I am able to contribute to this board. The same can be said for writing thought out post's. I don't see why it is such a bad thing to receive points for your contributions?

I don't like the idea of gaining status and unlocking forums because of one's status. But what is wrong with everyone knowing where you stand in the community? There is nothing to gain but your reputation here. What is wrong with having a high reputation?

I come here for many reasons. One of which is to find something out about the team. If someone helps me out and has the info IMO they are bringing something to this board. If because they like getting points they make an even bigger effort to help what is wrong with that?

Some here make me laugh, I always look forward to reading their post's and if by getting more points makes them post more then what is wrong with that?

Take the draft for instance. I don't follow it that close. I really respect what Dream has to say about the draft. He takes the time to follow it. If you have a question about any player in the draft he will take the time to scout that player. That takes time and for nothing, what does he get out of it?

I want to be able to give him and guys like him something for all they do to make the board better. Also, with a point total you know the respectability of the poster. If they have high post's and low points then you can tell they probably don't know what their talking about. On the other hand you can tell right away guys like Dream know something about the draft. If Dream is seen as the guy to talk to about the draft then what is wrong with that?

Day1BroncoFan
12-28-2007, 01:48 AM
One of the built in features of the High 5 system, if it isn't disabled, is that if you go to the "search" link on the top nav bar and click it, below the search box is "avanced search", but the High 5 system adds another menu option called "Find All High Fived Posts", which will show you all the posts that have recieved High 5's, in descending date order, I believe.

I think that would be worth something right there.

Tned
12-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Ok, based on confusion and feedback, I have made some changes to the High 5 Demo that is running only in the Demo thread, click here to go to demo thread and try it (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7296).

Since it was first installed for the demo:

The number of High 5's received is no longer showing near the post count in each thread, or in the User CP (this is an option that can be turned back on)
When you give a High 5, it automatically adds an entry in the User CP in the "Most Recent Mile High Salutes You Have Received" section, with a comment of "High Fived Post" so that you know one of your posts has received a High 5, and can click the link to go to that post (this is an option that can be turned off)

As the second change above isn't retroactive, please revisit the demo thread and give out some High 5's and create a post so others with give you a High 5, so that you can see how it will show up in your User CP.

dogfish
12-28-2007, 02:23 AM
I don't like the idea of gaining status and unlocking forums because of one's status. But what is wrong with everyone knowing where you stand in the community?

unfortunately, it becomes an ego thing for some people. . . people end up getting points because they have more friends, not because they're better posters or contribute more to the board. . . besides, is it really a true measure of where someone "stands?" not IMO. . . i'll pay way more attention to someone like dean, even though he doesn't post frequuently and therefore won't gather a lot of points, than someone who posts every day and only has a lot of points because they have sigs that people like, or whatever. . .

There is nothing to gain but your reputation here. What is wrong with having a high reputation?

nothing, but why do we need points to measure it? javalon turned his CPs off at Mania long ago-- does he now have a lower reputation because of it? and does a new person who hasn't accumulated points have less to say, or less quality input?

Take the draft for instance. I don't follow it that close. I really respect what Dream has to say about the draft. He takes the time to follow it. If you have a question about any player in the draft he will take the time to scout that player. That takes time and for nothing, what does he get out of it?

the satisfaction of knowing that he's written a good post! ask him, he'll tell you himself that he doesn't think we should have a points system. . .

I want to be able to give him and guys like him something for all they do to make the board better. Also, with a point total you know the respectability of the poster.

again, i disagree completely-- little bars next to your name don't make you a good poster, and not having them doesn't make you a bad poster. . . psychochicken and ohnokoolaid were awesome draftniks back on mania, and they never got that many CPs-- there are complete frickin' retards over there who have way, way, way more CPs than those guys ever got. . . people who got CPs because from their friends, got them for making silly little jokes, got them because they started a "fire shanny!!111!!!111" thread and someone agreed with it, etc etc-- even started a seperate account to give themselves CP. . . IMO that's the whole problem-- people view them as status, and it totally cheapens the whole process. . .

SR
12-28-2007, 02:26 AM
I agree with all of that dogfish. In theory, the CP system is good, but too many people abuse it and don't use it how it was intended to be used and therefore kills it. :tsk:

Tned
12-28-2007, 02:37 AM
again, i disagree completely-- little bars next to your name don't make you a good poster, and not having them doesn't make you a bad poster. . . psychochicken and ohnokoolaid were awesome draftniks back on mania, and they never got that many CPs-- there are complete frickin' retards over there who have way, way, way more CPs than those guys ever got. . . people who got CPs because from their friends, got them for making silly little jokes, got them because they started a "fire shanny!!111!!!111" thread and someone agreed with it, etc etc-- even started a seperate account to give themselves CP. . . IMO that's the whole problem-- people view them as status, and it totally cheapens the whole process. . .

I agree with all of that dogfish. In theory, the CP system is good, but too many people abuse it and don't use it how it was intended to be used and therefore kills it. :tsk:

FWIW, I tend to feel we shouldn't track points, and that we should have both the Mile High Salute and High 5 systems, since I think they will be complementary and serve different purposes, but I digress as usual.

The point I was going to make when I quoted your posts was this. Do you think the same point problem would exist here, since unlike BM, we don't have bigger avatars, more PM recipients, and the locker room as achievements that can be unlocked? Anyone that plays Xbox or other similar games knows that unlocking achievements is a big deal, and people do whatever it takes, including cheating to get them unlocked. Since we won't have anything for them to 'unlock', will we have the same abuse?

I think that is the point some of the freaks have been trying to make. They didn't have an abuse problem, because there was no 'real' value to their points, unlike at BM.

I think another factor is the number of 'new' posters. We, like broncosfreak, are always going to be smaller than BM, because they are the official site and linked from the DenverBroncos.com homepage, therefore there are many more new people trying to quickly 'get the rank'.

So, like I say, I lean towards no points, if for no other reason than to not get back into arguments with KCL about it :D However, I thought I would throw out there that things could be different here.

dogfish
12-28-2007, 02:47 AM
FWIW, I tend to feel we shouldn't track points, and that we should have both the Mile High Salute and High 5 systems, since I think they will be complementary and serve different purposes, but I digress as usual.

The point I was going to make when I quoted your posts was this. Do you think the same point problem would exist here, since unlike BM, we don't have bigger avatars, more PM recipients, and the locker room as achievements that can be unlocked? Anyone that plays Xbox or other similar games knows that unlocking achievements is a big deal, and people do whatever it takes, including cheating to get them unlocked. Since we won't have anything for them to 'unlock', will we have the same abuse?

I think that is the point some of the freaks have been trying to make. They didn't have an abuse problem, because there was no 'real' value to their points, unlike at BM.

I think another factor is the number of 'new' posters. We, like broncosfreak, are always going to be smaller than BM, because they are the official site and linked from the DenverBroncos.com homepage, therefore there are many more new people trying to quickly 'get the rank'.

So, like I say, I lean towards no points, if for no other reason than to not get back into arguments with KCL about it :D However, I thought I would throw out there that things could be different here.

absolutely, i do think people would abuse the system. . . maybe i just don't have much faith in humanity :lol: , but i feel positive that as long as it can possibly be construed as a symbol of status, certain people will covet it. . . i VASTLY prefer an egalitarian community, and i thought we were getting along just fine here in the beginning, with no salute or high-5 system at all. . .

Bronco4ever
12-28-2007, 02:50 AM
As most of you know, I am now running the pick'em. It's cool to get The salutes from members here saying they are grateful for what I am able to contribute to this board. The same can be said for writing thought out post's. I don't see why it is such a bad thing to receive points for your contributions?

I don't like the idea of gaining status and unlocking forums because of one's status. But what is wrong with everyone knowing where you stand in the community? There is nothing to gain but your reputation here. What is wrong with having a high reputation?

I come here for many reasons. One of which is to find something out about the team. If someone helps me out and has the info IMO they are bringing something to this board. If because they like getting points they make an even bigger effort to help what is wrong with that?

Some here make me laugh, I always look forward to reading their post's and if by getting more points makes them post more then what is wrong with that?

I want to be able to give him and guys like him something for all they do to make the board better. Also, with a point total you know the respectability of the poster. If they have high post's and low points then you can tell they probably don't know what their talking about. On the other hand you can tell right away guys like Dream know something about the draft. If Dream is seen as the guy to talk to about the draft then what is wrong with that?

I agree with everything you said. I think it's a fun feature that serves its purpose. I think if you like a certain post, there is nothing wrong with showing some love and making it public. I think the majority of people here are mature enough to handle that type of system. It sounds like at BM, a lot of immature people banded together and made it a priority to stroke each other's egos. If it's used correctly, which it should with the folks we have here, it should be able to succeed. Again, it's fun and useful.

SR
12-28-2007, 02:53 AM
i thought we were getting along just fine here in the beginning, with no salute or high-5 system at all. . .

Agreed. That's what I'm leaning towards as well.

Bronco4ever
12-28-2007, 02:55 AM

I would have given you a high five for this post :salute:. It's tough playing devil's advocate on all these scenarios that you have to poke your head into.

Tned
12-28-2007, 03:21 AM
i VASTLY prefer an egalitarian community, and i thought we were getting along just fine here in the beginning, with no salute or high-5 system at all. . .

I'm going to have to google egalitarian community later, but I also think we were doing fine before we had any salute system, but we still had a lot of people that wanted one. Now we have a bunch of people that want two, or 'their' salute system.

Agreed. That's what I'm leaning towards as well.

In an egalitarian community, I would lean that way to, but since I still don't know what it means, I am not sure.

Personally, I can live without any system, as my main focuse is to post and read posts. However, I recognize that we have members that really like to salute/recognize people. Due to that, I lean towards having both MHS and Hi5 systems, so that we please everyone. Those that want nothing can avoid using it, those that want to send private acknowledgement use the MHS, and those that want a public acknowledgement, use the Hi 5. Set them so none of them track points, change status or have any other effect other than showing up in the User CP, and the MHS includng a short message and the Hi 5 includes a public acknowledgment under the post.

I would have given you a high five for this post :salute:. It's tough playing devil's advocate on all these scenarios that you have to poke your head into.

My pointy ears, red cap and posiedon like pitchfork makes it easier to get into the devils advocate role-playing mode.

cpr940
12-28-2007, 09:12 AM

Well, I haven't seen that I got any, and since I obviously didn't give any, I can't say I care either way.

But I do like it without such a system. Orangemane has something like this, as does Redvsblue.com.

Doesn't seem to do much of anything since you can't redeem them for real world merch.

So I don't care, but I'll vote the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" route.

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 09:35 AM
If we just want to acknowledge a poster why does it have to be public? That's what I like about the salute system. There's no points added to it, no one else can see it, and you can't attach any sort of 'reputation' to it.

The fact that people are even discussing what the CP system ended up being for some says to me that any sort of public acknowledgement will form the dreaded 'cliques'.

claymore
12-28-2007, 09:38 AM
If we just want to acknowledge a poster why does it have to be public? That's what I like about the salute system. There's no points added to it, no one else can see it, and you can't attach any sort of 'reputation' to it.

The fact that people are even discussing what the CP system ended up being for some says to me that any sort of public acknowledgement will form the dreaded 'cliques'.There are going to be cliques regardless. Why hide it? If a user has 8000 posts, he is more likely to be mean to a noob as well, but that happens. I would rather have salutes than post counts.

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 09:44 AM
There are going to be cliques regardless. Why hide it? If a user has 8000 posts, he is more likely to be mean to a noob as well, but that happens. I would rather have salutes than post counts.

I'm mean to n00bs if they post like morons, not because I have lots of posts.

I don't care what my post count is.

KCL
12-28-2007, 12:40 PM

The fact that people are even discussing what the CP system ended up being for some says to me that any sort of public acknowledgement will form the dreaded 'cliques'.

I agree Kap..the acknowledgesments don't need to be made public and we
don't need a points system here.Why do we? I like the messages that go with the system we have now plus the fact that we can see who it is from.
BM's CP system got alot of people carried away.I made it to ROF on that board and I am not even a Broncos fan which really doesn't matter anyway.

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm mean to n00bs if they post like morons, not because I have lots of posts.

I don't care what my post count is.

I think most everyone doesn't seem to mind some kind of a 'kudo's' thing - salute, high-five, whatever...whether its public or not, I don't really care.

I also think that too adding too much beyond that isn't necessary...

MOtorboat
12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey tned, can we get the Tony Gonzalez avatar blocked. That would be great. tia (thanks in advance). :wave:

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey tned, can we get the Tony Gonzalez avatar blocked. That would be great. tia (thanks in advance). :wave:

Blocked? Why do you think he fixed it to have bigger avys? He did it for me.
just ask him. We were talking about this last night.Now I can't decide which
picture to use.:D

Going to change my sig next!;)

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Blocked? Why do you think he fixed it to have bigger avys? He did it for me.
just ask him. We were talking about this last night.Now I can't decide which
picture to use.:D

Going to change my sig next!;)

Go with the topless Tony G!

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:04 PM

yea I was kinda thinking that too.I had that one up just a couple of
minutes ago.

So you like the shirtless one better kap? Me too!

One shirtless Tony coming up!

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 01:06 PM
minutes ago.

w00t! Nekkid man!

claymore
12-28-2007, 01:07 PM

minutes ago.

Hey an eye for an eye ladies............. I am offended by pecks, so if we wanna play that way//////// :D

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:07 PM
w00t! Nekkid man!

There you go kap...something for us ladies.:beer:

I use this at BM also and I changed it once and one of the gals
there (who is a Broncos fan) told me to change it back to this one!

claymore
12-28-2007, 01:08 PM
minutes ago.

:vomit:...............

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
:vomit:...............

Quit staring at it and if you can't stop...get use to it...;)

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey, KC fans who are women (can I say chicks?)...

How about a picture of DC topless for your KC avy?

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey, KC fans who are women (can I say chicks?)...

How about a picture of DC topless for your KC avy?

Thanks but I like this better! :D

btw-yes chicks is fine!

claymore
12-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Quit staring at it and if you can't stop...get use to it...;)Its like a train wreck, I wish I could nestle my head in his chest. What? I mean gross bleck
:D

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Its like a train wreck, I wish I could nestle my head in his chest. What? I mean gross bleck

You like my avy...thats cool!

claymore
12-28-2007, 01:15 PM
You like my avy...thats cool!
Yes. Tony could get it.
:shocked:

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I wish I could nestle my head in his chest. :D

The truth comes out. That explains why you were spending so much time in the GPA thread.

claymore
12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
The truth comes out. That explains why you were spending so much time in the GPA thread.I barely remember that, is that the Hot dude thread? What does GPA stand for Guys Pecks and Abs? Or Giant Pword, and anus?

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Kapaibro is a girl.

Boys have a pen-

...well, ya'll know.

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 01:20 PM
I barely remember that, is that the Hot dude thread? What does GPA stand for Guys Pecks and Abs? Or Giant Pword, and anus?

Girlie Perv Association.

We have some fruitcake go a little(okay, a lot) mental at the original thread back on BM. But it's still there, and he isn't!

claymore
12-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Girlie Perv Association.

We have some fruitcake go a little(okay, a lot) mental at the original thread back on BM. But it's still there, and he isn't!LOL, Im a girl to, I say wee get some spicy cheetos, wear lingire and go there tonight. :listen:

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Girlie Perv Association.

I've never heard of that...how long have you been a member?

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I've never heard of that...how long have you been a member?

I founded it. It's now 2 years old. :cool:

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I founded it. It's now 2 years old. :cool:

Website, pls...

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes. Tony could get it.
:shocked:

I would let him get it...opps did I said that outloud?:listen:

claymore
12-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I would let him get it...opps did I said that outloud?:listen:
LMAO! His name shall now be the cat burglar. Can I say that...........?

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Website, pls...

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=49121

That's the original thread!

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 01:37 PM
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=49121

That's the original thread!

Wow...I was being sarcastic.

Impressive.

I noticed Texas doesn't have anyone - put DallasChief down for that branch.

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:37 PM
LMAO! His name shall now be the cat burglar. Can I say that...........?

yea and thats putting it nicely (we don't want to upset our Tned and
get too far out of line) ;)

Tned
12-28-2007, 01:38 PM

I'm afraid if I did that, either he or KCL would take the short drive down here and pummel me. I think it's going to have to stay :sad:

KCL
12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm afraid if I did that, either he or KCL would take the short drive down here and pummel me. I think it's going to have to stay :sad:

HA! I told you MissouriBronc...Tned loves me and someday he will be
posted in my avy!:laugh:

MOtorboat
12-28-2007, 01:40 PM
SMH (shaking my head) tned...

Tned
12-28-2007, 01:50 PM
SMH (shaking my head) tned...

I fear for my life, man....

MOtorboat
12-28-2007, 01:51 PM

And you think I care....:cool:

j/k

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Get some cojones man!

KCL
12-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Get some cojones man!

Don't be talking to our founder that way....:mad:

Don't worry Tned...I am taking names for you and will do a
follow up on this ones future here on this board.:D

KCL
12-28-2007, 02:09 PM

Its okay Tned....don't worry...I won't leave you!

Skinny
01-05-2008, 02:45 AM
Do you like the current Mile High Salute system? I do ...

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? I do like that fact ... though it would'nt bother if points or status were tracked ... i'm not against it ...

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? Regardless of the System, i would let that party know it was me.

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? If there were 20 posts that i liked ... from 20 diffrent people ... i'd like to be able to give all 20 people a Salute. But 10 is certainly adequate IMO.

Any other feedback about the system or changes you would like to have considered.? Just thanks for giving me the oppurtunity/option to try it out.

Jody
01-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Do you like the current Mile High Salute system? I do ...

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? I do like that fact ... though it would'nt bother if points or status were tracked ... i'm not against it ...

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? Regardless of the System, i would let that party know it was me.

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? If there were 20 posts that i liked ... from 20 diffrent people ... i'd like to be able to give all 20 people a Salute. But 10 is certainly adequate IMO.

Any other feedback about the system or changes you would like to have considered.? Just thanks for giving me the oppurtunity/option to try it out.

I agree, especially on the "limit and spread". I'd like to give more if it's a good day on the board. I'd like to give one person more than one, for sometimes they have more than one excellent post.

SR
01-05-2008, 09:20 AM
* Any other feedback about the system or changes you would like to have considered.Trash the whole concept

Pretty much my opinion as well.

claymore
01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
* Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? No, You should have an option of public or private. Sometimes there are situations where you need to use both, but 90% of the time you want an immidiate response. Something that says "Yeah, I agree with you, and Im proud of it."

* Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again?No, Some posters are just better poster's. Some people are funnier than others. Jody for instance, I couldnt give her rep on like 3 posts yesterday. It is unfair to her, that I have to salute lesser posts just to come back and hit her again.

Krugan
01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Im fine with a simple salute.

Please, please, dont put in a points status system. It just made me ill to even go to Bmania(other than the white light!)and see the popularity contests floating around there.

Of course that is my opinion of that system, so take it for what it is.

claymore
01-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I have never seen what a point system was good for. Unless there was a troll problem here, which there isnt, plus the moderating/ownership seems to be fantastic.

MOtorboat
01-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I've got to say, though, that the point system helped me over at the Freak a few times. There were times when a long-time, respected member logged on after like a year's absence, and I knew that he was a respected member by his rep count, even though I didn't know who it was...but other than that, with this being a fairly new board, I've gotten a pretty good idea of who all the respectable people are.

claymore
01-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I've got to say, though, that the point system helped me over at the Freak a few times. There were times when a long-time, respected member logged on after like a year's absence, and I knew that he was a respected member by his rep count, even though I didn't know who it was...but other than that, with this being a fairly new board, I've gotten a pretty good idea of who all the respectable people are.
I have always went by the post count and membership date. But there would be times we had to do red dot parties on trolls.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I have always went by the post count and membership date. But there would be times we had to do red dot parties on trolls.

Or slim. ;)

One of my all time favorite threads was the neg rep thread. It really proved how worthless rep points really were, when you deliberately post in a thread so that people can give you neg rep and then post their comments in the thread. To this day, I will never know how Stud found out about Iggy, the iguanadon......

tubby
01-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I miss being able to neg rep DC for the hell of it. It was just random enough that I know it pissed him off. :D

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I still hope to see a salute system in place over here. Just keep the rep points private so you can only see your own rep points. The Salute system should be an automatic for any board. Just my opinion.

slim
01-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Do you like the current Mile High Salute system? No

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? No, I prefer to have rep points

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? No

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? No

The mile high salute is OK, but as a stand alone rep system I think it is lacking. It would be nice to have both the Salute and High Five systems in place. If only one system is adopted I would vote for the High Five.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 12:44 PM

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? No, I'd prefer CP/rep tracked, but it's not a big deal to me. It does seem to be a big deal to those who came from a board where the system was abused. Having come from the Freak, which was like that show "Whose Line Is It Anyway" where the points don't matter, it was fun because you couldn't do anything with it. I think it could be fun here as well, as long as there is NO point, no incentive to having CP/rep. But again, it's not something I feel strongly about.
Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? I don't really care either way. Preferably, I'd like to see the both the Salute and High Five systems used together, so that there is an option for both public and private acknowledgement, if desired. GP posts are annoying to me and the High Five eliminates the need for them. Since this is about the salute, I'll save those arguments.
Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? No. If no one else know who you are giving salutes to and it doesn't count for anything, why does it matter who you give them to and when? This makes no sense to me. If salutes where tied to CP or rep, then I could understand it, but with the present system, it's not much different than a PM tied to a post.
Any other feedback about the system or changes you would like to have considered. Not that I can think of at the moment.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? No, I'd prefer CP/rep tracked, but it's not a big deal to me. It does seem to be a big deal to those who came from a board where the system was abused. Having come from the Freak, which was like that show "Whose Line Is It Anyway" where the points don't matter, it was fun because you couldn't do anything with it. I think it could be fun here as well, as long as there is NO point, no incentive to having CP/rep. But again, it's not something I feel strongly about.

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? I don't really care either way. Preferably, I'd like to see the both the Salute and High Five systems used together, so that there is an option for both public and private acknowledgement, if desired. GP posts are annoying to me and the High Five eliminates the need for them. Since this is about the salute, I'll save those arguments.

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? No. If no one else know who you are giving salutes to and it doesn't count for anything, why does it matter who you give them to and when? This makes no sense to me. If salutes where tied to CP or rep, then I could understand it, but with the present system, it's not much different than a PM tied to a post.

Any other feedback about the system or changes you would like to have considered. Not that I can think of at the moment.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
LOL. Does that mean I did a good job, Niner?

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 01:04 PM
LOL. Does that mean I did a good job, Niner?

Did we say the same thing? Let me read yours again.

claymore
01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow, you guys are really together on this. :D

sanluis
01-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Sorry I did not make it through all the posts. But I will try to answer now.

Do you like the current Mile High Salute system? Yes and no.

I don't really understand the problem with recognition points or status. As a rival fan it was a pleasant surprise when I was recognized for my posts and that recognition helped me understand how open minded some of the fans are on the MB. This is still accomplished with the salute system so that is a positive.

It would seem we are bowing down to a few bad apples by doing away with a point recognition system. And I am against that kind of compromise on principle alone.

Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system? no --see above.

Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again? Yes, it tends to limit abuse. This feature is the key to limiting some of the things that are distasteful to the point system. So why didn't this work to your satisfaction?:confused:

Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to? No --- If I said it I meant it. Let everyone see. :D

Nothing else I can think of right now. Thanks for the opportunity to contribute!:salute:

dogfish
01-05-2008, 03:17 PM
* Do you like the current Mile High Salute system? NO
* Do you like the fact no points or status is tracked in conjunction with the system?YES
* Do you like the anonymous nature of the system, vs. allowing others to see who you have given a Mile High Salute to?YES
* Do you like the 'limit and spread', the limit of only giving 10 salutes a day and spreading to five other people before giving a Mile High Salute to the same person again?YES
* Any other feedback about the system or changes you would like to have considered.Trash the whole concept

Pretty much my opinion as well.

Im fine with a simple salute.

Please, please, dont put in a points status system. It just made me ill to even go to Bmania(other than the white light!)and see the popularity contests floating around there.

Of course that is my opinion of that system, so take it for what it is.

that's what i'm talking about-- just say no!

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2008, 03:36 PM

Kinda.

I don't really care. It can distinguish between good posters and bad posters, but can lead to abuse... so either way... w/e.

No. There shouldn't be a ration of good posts. I'm going to acknowledge a post as good, I really don't want to think about saving them for later or a better post.

Absolutely not. If I was to salute a post, it was because it was a well thought, well researched, or a similar point to my beliefs. I would like to publicly acknowledge that this is a good point, not keep it a secret. I have nothing to hide. I'm actually less likely to salute somebody because it's private.

I don't care about the rep or anything, I think the biggie is that I salute quality posts, and would like to alert others that this is a post worth reading. From there, if I'm just skimming through a thread, I can find posts really worth reading if there are a significant amount of members that saluted it.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't care about the rep or anything, I think the biggie is that I salute quality posts, and would like to alert others that this is a post worth reading. From there, if I'm just skimming through a thread, I can find posts really worth reading if there are a significant amount of members that saluted it.

This is HUGE to me.
HUGE.
It has absolutely nothing to do with reputation or points and everything to do with good posts. For example, the OL & DL article The Sports Guru linked to. That was a STUPENDOUS article. Way worth the time to click on the link and read. Rather than have a superfluous post saying it was well worth it (which I did) I could give a high five to let others know.

MileHighWrath
01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I just don't see the issue with being able to publicly recognize a quality post. THis whole question about tracking points that contribute in some way to building power or prestige or special privileges or whatever is doomed to create problems and should absolutely not be implemented. But as Cheese notes, seeing several "high fives" under a post grabs my attention and I will read that post for certain.

Receiving a "high five" for a post I wrote always made me feel good and certainly encourages participation, which is a very good thing. Tracking those "high fives" in way that displays how many "high fives" that member has received worked well at the freak as you get a feel for how that member has been received by others. It caused ZERO problems, but most likely because negative rep was never publicly displayed and CP was essentially worthless.

I can see where ego, greed, envy, and other negative human personality traits can get involved should CP be given any kind of value. Kept worthless, however, and it's all about fun. We can NEVER have too much FUN.

The "Salute" system was easily one of the best things about the Freak, next to it's membership. I suppose most of those of us ex-freaks that migrated here would love to see it implemented, those opposed due to bad experiences elsewhere should give it a try.

Since most ex-freaks landed here I find the only thing I truly miss from the Freak is the ability to "salute" or "high five" a great, funny, informative, or well written post that deserves, IMO, some public recognition. Sure we can reply with a post of our own to say "great post!" but then the threads can get too long especially if someone feels the need to quote that great post. I have noticed that a lot of posts on this site get quoted with a simple "nice post" (or something similar) under neath the quote. "High fives" eliminate this entirely.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I just don't see the issue with being able to publicly recognize a quality post. THis whole question about tracking points that contribute in some way to building power or prestige or special privileges or whatever is doomed to create problems and should absolutely not be implemented. But as Cheese notes, seeing several "high fives" under a post grabs my attention and I will read that post for certain.

Receiving a "high five" for a post I wrote always made me feel good and certainly encourages participation, which is a very good thing. Tracking those "high fives" in way that displays how many "high fives" that member has received worked well at the freak as you get a feel for how that member has been received by others. It caused ZERO problems, but most likely because negative rep was never publicly displayed and CP was essentially worthless.

I can see where ego, greed, envy, and other negative human personality traits can get involved should CP be given any kind of value. Kept worthless, however, and it's all about fun. We can NEVER have too much FUN.

The "Salute" system was easily one of the best things about the Freak, next to it's membership. I suppose most of those of us ex-freaks that migrated here would love to see it implemented, those opposed due to bad experiences elsewhere should give it a try.

Since most ex-freaks landed here I find the only thing I truly miss from the Freak is the ability to "salute" or "high five" a great, funny, informative, or well written post that deserves, IMO, some public recognition. Sure we can reply with a post of our own to say "great post!" but then the threads can get too long especially if someone feels the need to quote that great post. I have noticed that a lot of posts on this site get quoted with a simple "nice post" (or something similar) under neath the quote. "High fives" eliminate this entirely.

I agree. The points given were meaningless, but they were kept private. You could access your CP and see your won points but you couldn't see each others. Nothing wrong with that. People should relax and give it a try.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Dear Wrath,

I would High Five that post if I could. Instead, you will get this handsome post and a Moose Drool if you ever end up my way.

Love,
Cheese

MileHighWrath
01-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Dear Wrath,

I would High Five that post if I could. Instead, you will get this handsome post and a Moose Drool if you ever end up my way.

Love,
Cheese

mmmmmmm drool! Thanks Cheese. Next time I'm up there I'll take you up on it. I'm hoping to make the testy festy.

omac
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I like the concept of the high-5 system; through it, you can give props to an excellent post, even if you're very late to thread, without inadvertently hijacking the flow of the topic.

The mile-high salute is okay too.

What I think would be better, since they both deal with a specific post, is that they're just integrated into one system. You give a poster a high five, which is shown in the tread, then have the option to send him a private comment, in case you wanted to say much more than "I approve of this post."

OB
01-05-2008, 09:27 PM

Not reading `3 pgs plus idc what others think :D

1. Yes I like the MHS system

2. No points is great!!!! It makes it a personal thing not a contest

3. IDC - let the majority rule - i sign mine out of habit anyway

4. I think the limit #'s are fair but dont care either way

I Like It :salute:

One suggestion - get rid of the rockies smilies on the common ones ;)

dogfish
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Not reading `3 pgs plus idc what others think :D

liar, you know you love me. . . . :D

OB
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
liar, you know you love me. . . . :D

I may love you but when did I ever say I cared what you thought :hand::aetsch:

Tned
01-06-2008, 06:40 PM
One suggestion - get rid of the rockies smilies on the common ones ;)

Your wish, is my command. Done.

Been meaning to do that for a while and have been lazy.

Lonestar
01-06-2008, 11:56 PM

I thought these moved to the top of the list as they were being used..

I thought I heard you say that or something to that affect..

Tned
01-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I thought these moved to the top of the list as they were being used..

I thought I heard you say that or something to that affect..

The two rockies smilies were bumped to the first page on a temp basis because of the rockies in the playoffs, but I never removed them afterwards.

Lonestar
01-07-2008, 01:02 AM
The two rockies smilies were bumped to the first page on a temp basis because of the rockies in the playoffs, but I never removed them afterwards.

who are teh rockies and what Playoffs :laugh:

what happened to my winky guy?
We need a sacrastic smilie!!!!!!!

frauschieze
01-07-2008, 08:09 AM
May I recommend this?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2290/2169584353_2b93020555_o.gif

Tned
01-07-2008, 08:20 AM
May I recommend this?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2290/2169584353_2b93020555_o.gif

I like it more than our current short armed wave.

I am about to head off to work, and will forget about this if it is buried in here. Can you post that little guy in this thread: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149

Thanks

frauschieze
01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I like it more than our current short armed wave.

I am about to head off to work, and will forget about this if it is buried in here. Can you post that little guy in this thread: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149

Thanks

Done, along with a few other suggestions. :cool:

topscribe
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Okay, I tried it out, and it is fine. Anything is fine to me.

-----

OB
01-07-2008, 12:19 PM

I would like ten million dollars wired to my swiss bank account - I will email you the account number - oh yeah and by the end of the day would be great - I dont like to be kept waiting:crutch: :coffee:

Tned
01-07-2008, 12:56 PM
I would like ten million dollars wired to my swiss bank account - I will email you the account number - oh yeah and by the end of the day would be great - I dont like to be kept waiting:crutch: :coffee:

I'm getting right on that. The conversion rate of BF dollars to US dollars isn't great, so ten million isn't going to get you very far, but I will wire you 10,000,000 BF dollars.

Skinny
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Just my quick :2cents: T on the 'High Five' System ...

I like it. It has its advantage where you and a poster cracked a good joke or agree with someone on something, or agree to disagree, and just want to respond with a quick high five and nothing more. Then with they Salute System, you can leave a detailed comment and be more in depth if you chose to do so.

I like them both and if both are kept, will continue using it ...

TIA

Jody
01-28-2008, 08:55 PM

I like it. It has its advantage where you and a poster cracked a good joke or agree with someone on something, or agree to disagree, and just want to respond with a quick high five and nothing more. Then with they Salute System, you can leave a detailed comment and be more in depth if you chose to do so.

TIA

I like both systems too.

Bronco9798
01-28-2008, 08:56 PM

TIA

I agree...They are both good..

Jody
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I agree that you agree that Skinny agrees they are both good.

broncogirl7
01-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I like both systems also.

fcspikeit
01-29-2008, 05:29 AM

TIA

I like both systems too.

I like both systems also.

Me 2 + 3 = :five: + :salute: are both great! :laugh:

BroncoBJ
01-29-2008, 05:36 AM
I dont got a problem with either system. Its wierd having 2 systems though. 1 or the other would be good but I got no problem with the system. I like the High 5 because its easy to just click the High 5 button. The Salutes take more time and more thought involved(at least for me). And thats what I use if I want to leave someone a nice little comment :elefant:

I say we keep both :salute:

pnbronco
01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
I think both systems are good and work well.

Day1BroncoFan
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I have to add my 2 cents and say that I like 'em both as well.

Lonestar
01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
not sure If I have commented before this.. But here goes..

At first I did not like the HI5 but it has grown on me.. I like the ability to do a quick agreement.. But I also like the MHS because I can leave a quick positive comment about the post.

That said

I would like a negative MHS so I could also make a non public comment like your full of crap..

Unless their is a monetary consideration lets keep the MHS and HI5 as they are complementary, adding negative MHS and HI5's..

dogfish
01-29-2008, 06:19 PM
hey T, if we're going to keep both systems, is there a way we can get vbulletin to seperate them in keping track of how many you can give out? right now, it will never let me use the salutes. . . even if i haven't given out any in a few days, it will tell me i've "given out too much rep in the last 24 hours, try again"-- even if i haven't given ANY salutes in the past 24 hours. . . but it will let me immediately high-5 the same post. . . if vb can't distinguish between the two, maybe we need to start allowing unlimited salutes. . . whatdaya think?

Tned
01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
hey T, if we're going to keep both systems, is there a way we can get vbulletin to seperate them in keping track of how many you can give out? right now, it will never let me use the salutes. . . even if i haven't given out any in a few days, it will tell me i've "given out too much rep in the last 24 hours, try again"-- even if i haven't given ANY salutes in the past 24 hours. . . but it will let me immediately high-5 the same post. . . if vb can't distinguish between the two, maybe we need to start allowing unlimited salutes. . . whatdaya think?

I'll change the MHS to unlimited.

I haven't had a chance to get back to it (home page, color changes, etc.), but I have on my list to create some custom code to seperate MHS and Hi-5 in the User CP and at that point they would be totally unlinked, even if we were to put a limit back on MHS, or do something like have MHS give points, but Hi-5 not, etc.

Anyway, I will remove the limits for now, since as many have pointed out, limits don't make much sense with no points attached.

Tned
01-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Check that, if I made the right change, it should be unlimited.

dogfish
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Check that, if I made the right change, it should be unlimited.

that did it. . . . :salute:

Tned
01-29-2008, 08:47 PM
that did it. . . . :salute:

With an avvy like that, you can have almost anything you want :D

dogfish
01-29-2008, 08:53 PM

awesome! get shanahan on the phone and tell him we need better linemen. . . .

Tned
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
awesome! get shanahan on the phone and tell him we need better linemen. . . .

Did I mention we don't have phone service in Arkansas :sad:

BroncoBJ
01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Did I mention we don't have phone service in Arkansas :sad:

I was wondering why you never call me. :elefant:

Jody
01-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I was wondering why you never call me. :elefant:

JC....heavy on the manlove there... :sick: ? ;)

frenchfan
02-13-2008, 06:57 AM

TIAI can't agree more...

These 2 systems are really great...
I use them in the same way... High 5 to show that the post was good... and Salute when I need to comment more.

I just don't want them turning into the CP system we used in another life ;):D
The only goal of those systems is to show your agreement about a post, not to be a new power quest joke or anything else.

Just my 2 cents.

Good job :salute:

BroncoJoe
06-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Anyone else getting this error when trying to High 5 someone?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/BFError.jpg

NightTrainLayne
06-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Yes.

Who stole our high-5's???

BroncoJoe
06-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Tned has some explaining to do.... :D

Thnikkaman
06-20-2008, 10:28 AM

I get the same thing from Firefox 3.0

KCL
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM

I am and I was trying to high5 my boyfriend and I can't...:mad:

GEM
06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Yep, getting the same thing.

tubby
06-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I blame this on the tags. :mad:

Thnikkaman
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I blame this on the tags. :mad:

I am sure that they just overwrote some php file. If Tned is on the ball, he should be able to pull it from a backup.

NightTrainLayne
06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
High-5's are back.

I will high-5 myself in celebration.

Tned
06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
I did a security update that started identifying the High Five system as a security hack attempt. People that attempted to do it multiple times, not only got the error, but were IP banned at the server level. I have removed the security update and unbanned those IP's.

I think everything should be back to normal, and I will try and figure out how to get the security upgrade and High Five's to coexist.

Tned
06-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Oh, on a related note. Some of you may have noticed N/A showing up instead of a link showing to High Fives/MHS posts. This is some kind of bug related to the vBulletin upgrade and I am trying to see if there is a fix in place.

NightTrainLayne
06-20-2008, 12:36 PM
I did a security update that started identifying the High Five system as a security hack attempt. People that attempted to do it multiple times, not only got the error, but were IP banned at the server level. I have removed the security update and unbanned those IP's.

I think everything should be back to normal, and I will try and figure out how to get the security upgrade and High Five's to coexist.

Good work Tned.

If Cswil was one of those banned, you don't have to worry about him. :lol:

topscribe
06-20-2008, 12:49 PM

What, you didn't like Skinny's avvy? http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/image.php?u=22&dateline=1213533404

-----

GEM
06-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh, on a related note. Some of you may have noticed N/A showing up instead of a link showing to High Fives/MHS posts. This is some kind of bug related to the vBulletin upgrade and I am trying to see if there is a fix in place.

T....I think you popped my ban cherry! :eek: LMAO! I couldn't get in for about an hour.

Tned
06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
T....I think you popped my ban cherry! :eek: LMAO! I couldn't get in for about an hour.

lol, sorry about that. Top paged me while I was at lunch, and it was like "Oh ____". I connected with my mobile phone, saw the error message, but couldn't remove the security upgrade and unban the IPs via the phone. I had tested a bunch of stuff afterwards, but not the High-Five system.

Ooooops ;)

GEM
06-20-2008, 03:33 PM
lol, sorry about that. Top paged me while I was at lunch, and it was like "Oh ____". I connected with my mobile phone, saw the error message, but couldn't remove the security upgrade and unban the IPs via the phone. I had tested a bunch of stuff afterwards, but not the High-Five system.

Ooooops ;)

Tis quite alright. Figured the first time I got banned would be for something quite good, but maybe this will be my one and only.

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 07:48 AM
:laugh: Me too, GEM...

I just figured that it was a problem with the server or something... started with the Hi-5s and then I couldn't get in at all, I figured the site had gone down.

Funny thing is that I was doing it 'multiple times' to make sure I got the error message right, so that I could come here and post about it to Tned. :laugh:

I didn't realize that I had been banned :lol: I'd have had a heart attack if I HAD, though. I left for work not knowing, and then it was back up when I got home, so no biggie, I figured, until I read this thread just now.

Wow, Trych will be impressed when I tell him I got banned...

Tned
06-21-2008, 03:29 PM
:laugh: Me too, GEM...

I just figured that it was a problem with the server or something... started with the Hi-5s and then I couldn't get in at all, I figured the site had gone down.

Funny thing is that I was doing it 'multiple times' to make sure I got the error message right, so that I could come here and post about it to Tned. :laugh:

I didn't realize that I had been banned :lol: I'd have had a heart attack if I HAD, though. I left for work not knowing, and then it was back up when I got home, so no biggie, I figured, until I read this thread just now.

Wow, Trych will be impressed when I tell him I got banned...

The way the server security thing works, it was after 5 attempts at running what it considered to be a suspect script, it banned the IP. So, by doing it multiple times, you hit the 5 limit. I think there were around 8 IPs in the server firewall when I cleaned it out yesterday, so that is how many people wound up getting banned for that 45 minutes or so.

turftoad
06-21-2008, 03:38 PM
The way the server security thing works, it was after 5 attempts at running what it considered to be a suspect script, it banned the IP. So, by doing it multiple times, you hit the 5 limit. I think there were around 8 IPs in the server firewall when I cleaned it out yesterday, so that is how many people wound up getting banned for that 45 minutes or so.

I was banned !! :shocked:

LordTrychon
06-21-2008, 03:40 PM

I would like to thank Tned for banning Nurse Red. I always knew you were a top notch administrator. :salute:

Broncogator
06-21-2008, 04:07 PM
I would like to thank Tned for banning Nurse Red. I always knew you were a top notch administrator. :salute:

Be nice to your big sister! :tsk: