PDA

View Full Version : Areas of Improvement: Some Temperence for the Sake of Coolheadedness

OldschoolFreak
10-12-2009, 11:22 AM
First let me say yesterday was awesome. One of my favorite wins ever, hard fought, gritty, and nearly complete.

BUT LET's NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES HERE. It's great to celebrate, and this coach and team definitely deserve to; but keep in mind one of the things that has worked so well up to now is humility. The Broncos shouldn't get ahead of themselves getting cocky, talking about "see me now respect", or looking forward to the Superbowl AND NEITHER SHOULD WE.

This team has the potential to go a long way but for it to do so it has to keep getting better and the only way to do that is to address the weaknesses that remain.

SO...IN the midst of well earned jubilation, I open this thread to call for critical football analysis. Hopefully the board is over the polarized infighting and can now deal with this type of a thread without collapsing into bickering.

WHAT DID YOU SEE THAT NEEDS IMPROVEMENT...(I'll start).

-Special Teams looked atrocious and would have lost us the game had it not been for perhaps the greatest 3 in 1 defensive stop of all time. Not just the punting penalties but bad decision making on returns, Royal failing to block the gunner when the ball was downed at the 2 (which would have been legal this time UNLIKE last week where he drew the penalty because he hadn't called for the fair catch), McKinley taking a kickoff 6 yards deep and returning it to the 15, Prater not getting the ball into the end zone for touchbacks...at a mile high, Kern's 20 some net yard punt from the NE 40 because he didn't pull it back and let it dribble into the endzone.

-Short yardage play calling and execution. Seriously, where is Hillis? And Moreno needs to find a balance between laying it all out there fumble prone scraping and "oh shit I better not fumble again" conservative running with tackles behind the LOS. A couple better executed short yardage situations and we have at least a few more points on the board and a couple continued drives.

-We played an amazing game yesterday and I don't want to take anything away from that but one of these days we'll find ourselves on the losing end of a contest that goes down to the wire. The half time adjustments have been absolutely incredible this year but we need to come out stronger and put some points up on the board early to avoid needing last second heroics that just can't be counted on--even by the best teams in the league.

-Passrush. Doom has been feast or famine and the rest of the D front hasn't yet shown itself to be dominant. Maybe this is just a personnel issue that we'll have to wait to address in the coming drafts but we need more consistent non-blitz QB pressure. And I don't just mean sacks; I'm talking not giving the QB 9 seconds and just praying the (amazing) secondary can hold up.

-Challenge management by McD. It turned out being a non-issue but I totally agreed with the announcers that the challenges in the first half were horrible calls that could have come back to haunt us. The first one was obvious-Moreno fumbled. The second one was also obvious and though McD was right, that three yards was relatively inconsequential. A bad spot on the Marshall touchdown later in the game and we've got no challenges to overturn the blown call.

-Inconsistency on the O-line. The young blood is clearly dominant and will hopefully be a force for years to come. But Hamilton and Weigs are really showing their age. Is it time to start adding a regular rotation at LG to get the younger guys ready for what might soon be a necessary replacement?

-Variety in playcalling in the running game. Moreno and Bucky are killing it with their execution but I think we're a bit stale with our overreliance on the run up the middle. This was driving me crazy against the Pats. Where are the cutback lanes?

-What am I missing here?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2009, 11:27 AM
In listening to, or reading articles about Coach McD, I am thoroughly convinced that he will not let the team get cocky. After every win, he states that there were things that the Broncos did well, and there are things they did not do well, not only the players, but himself, and the other coaches, and he constantly says there is always room for improvement.

Ziggy
10-12-2009, 11:29 AM
-What am I missing here?

The fact that we are 5-0, with a great coaching staff?

OldschoolFreak
In listening to, or reading articles about Coach McD, I am thoroughly convinced that he will not let the team get cocky. After every win, he states that there were things that the Broncos did well, and there are things they did not do well, not only the players, but himself, and the other coaches, and he constantly says there is always room for improvement.

I agree, I like what I've seen from him in this area.

hotcarl
1. I think the uniforms could use some updating they seemed very dated.
2. Same goes for the cheerleader uniforms, they seemed very conservative. Perhaps topless uniforms?

tia

OldschoolFreak
10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
1. I think the uniforms could use some updating they seemed very dated.

Totally disagree. I loved those things and would advocate a switch to wearing them full time.

Tned
10-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Nicely done. On the challenges, there was a third down catch, where I believe they gave Marshall (I think it was Marshall) a bad spot, but it couldn't be challenged even if we wanted to, because of the two bad challenges early.

The last two weeks there have also been some tackling issues. We missed a lot of tackles last week, and while not as bad this week, there were still a number of missed tackles. Plays that could have been losses in the backfield or plays short of first down, where the runner got extra yards after a whiffed tackle.

Also, screen passes. Dallas gouged us with screen passes last week, and NE did the same on a few plays. Obviously, screen passes are supposed to be an answer for aggressive defenses, but we need to keep them to five yards, rather than 15-25 yards.

Bronco Warrior
10-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I think there may be method in the playcalling madness! You noticed the Wild Horse was effective but we dodn't run it much. Why? I think it was used just enough to see if it works against a team like NE that struggled against it with Miami, and to make SD spend all week trying to figure it out! You notice that our 3rd down that we had to convert was a Royal quick pass..and it shocked the Pats who are normally a great screen defending team. Why? because we seem to always try to dive it up the middle on 3rd and inches! Just stuff to think about!

GEM
10-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I think the pass rush was missing for a reason. McD and Nolan chose a different way to attack Brady & Co. They were rushing 3 to 4 all game, never saw much of an all out blitz.

SOCALORADO.
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
1. fumbles, ball control.
2. STs still are poor. Returners running into each other is a recipe for disaster!
Also, McKinley needs to pull his head outta his @$$ !!! He does stupid things out there, like returning kick-offs deep in the end zone and not even getting to the 20. Just dumb.
3. D-line Pressure. Just gotta have it. If Rivers gets a little time, he can BURN opposing defenses.

Grover
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
We need to defense short passes up the middle much better. Woodyard was a liability in the passing game yesterday. Jack Williams made seven unassisted tackles and held up OK, but the seven tackles meant they were targeting him.

We need some more help at running back with Buckhalter's injury. Moreno carried the load yesterday with VERY LITTLE contribution by Lamont Jordan. Hillis wasn't allowed to even touch the ball on offense. Coaching staff needs to see what Hillis can do in practice this week and put him in against SD if he practices well. RBBC is better than All Moreno, all the time.

We need to work on punt returns. Smith and Royal almost crashing into one another was poor. Royal's punt returns are mediocre.

Short yardage running attack needs work. Probably due to Hamilton and Wiegman being a bit old and light.

That's all I can think of right now. Fortunately, we do a lot of things really well, so that more than counterbalances the things we need to be working on.

OldschoolFreak
10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
The last two weeks there have also been some tackling issues. We missed a lot of tackles last week, and while not as bad this week, there were still a number of missed tackles. Plays that could have been losses in the backfield or plays short of first down, where the runner got extra yards after a whiffed tackle.

Also, screen passes. Dallas gouged us with screen passes last week, and NE did the same on a few plays. Obviously, screen passes are supposed to be an answer for aggressive defenses, but we need to keep them to five yards, rather than 15-25 yards.

I think those two items seem to go together. Most of the missed tackles seem to be on the screens or whenever there's a sweep to the outside resulting in CBs coming into the backfield on the plays. If we could just keep containment on those little screens it turns into a 5 instead of a 25 yard gain. But that first tackle always seems to be the one that gets missed.

underrated29
10-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree on short yardage situations. The play calling really pisses me off.

Everytime we run it right up the gut into the teeth. There are soooo many things wrong with this. First let me explain why.

1- i have no problem with a strait run up the gut on short yardage. Best way to get it is to go north/south.

However- josh has us running that STUPID guard pull, trap run play. That play takes way way to long to develop on a short yardage.

2-On that stupid play, the RB only has one whole that is designed to get open. If it doesnt then he is in trouble. Our normal ZBS that we have kept allows the rb to pick his whole. So if the defense stuffs one he can move to another.

3- As mentioned, we have a dump truck in hillis. I love my boy knowshon, but hillis is more powerful. Also a FB gut strait ahead is hard to stop as the defense doesnt have much time to get a push.

4- To me it seems like we have three run plays. Guard pull to the left, gurad pull to the right and a draw. We have superior speed at RB. And everytime our guys have run to the edge they have killed it.

We need to spice it up a bit. I know where the rb is going to go. So does the defense. Our run plays are extremely predictable as to where he is supposed to go.

I have said this for a few weeks now, but it is becoming more evident. We need to run more, counter, sweeps, toss plays. Get to the edge some. It wont always work, but it will spread the defense out and can only help in other aspects of the game.

More of our beloved ZBS. Our zbs is quick. Sometimes we just need some quick plays. The pull and trap even though effecetive for us, takes time to develop. lets get some speed out there try to catch the d offguard or tiresome.

Just my thoughts. But i love the way things are working out. THe passing game seems to be coming along better and better.

Bronco Warrior
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I think the pass rush was missing for a reason. McD and Nolan chose a different way to attack Brady & Co. They were rushing 3 to 4 all game, never saw much of an all out blitz.

Yeah..there were comments all game about only 3 or 4 pass rushers all game. and M. Light was holding all game till his own guy leg whipped him out of the game :woot: I think we found it more helpful to let Brady beat himself ;)

OldschoolFreak
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM

That's true. I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to produce a bit more pressure with our base alignment. I like being able to get to the QB without throwing out a blitz package.

GEM
10-12-2009, 11:46 AM
That's true. I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to produce a bit more pressure with our base alignment. I like being able to get to the QB without throwing out a blitz package.

I agree, that would be great. As far as improvements we'd like, that would be high on the list. Coming from where we were to where we are in the short amount of time, I'm content...for the moment. :)

OldschoolFreak
10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree, that would be great. As far as improvements we'd like, that would be high on the list. Coming from where we were to where we are in the short amount of time, I'm content...for the moment. :)

Yeah, might also be one of those things you can't actually coach up but that you need personnel for. A dominant NT to eat up blockers and the base formation becomes a lot more powerful...Maybe start rotating Baker in more to let him get his game feet and find out if he is the guy?

GEM
10-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah, might also be one of those things you can't actually coach up but that you need personnel for. A dominant NT to eat up blockers and the base formation becomes a lot more powerful...Maybe start rotating Baker in more to let him get his game feet and find out if he is the guy?

From what I have heard on Baker, he did well in preseason. If we can start building up some high leads it may be good to get him in there in garbage time to get his feet wet.

I know Wilfork is probably one of the best at his position, but good God that guy is a beached whale. :lol:

Watchthemiddle
10-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Agree.

If there is one opposing coach in the league that knows Brady inside and out its McDaniels. He knows what goes through his head on blitzes. He knows probably the hot route that Brady would go to if we sent 7-8 guys. He knows how good Brady is. He knew enough to stand down the dogs and only send the front 3-4 guys. It obviously worked because we held him to 60 yards in the second half.

As far as the play calling goes, each week we are seeing different guys getting involved. It goes back to what I said in the preseason, you take what the D gives you. You look for match ups and yesterday Royal killed it. Thats what is great about this coaching staff and group of offensive players. ITs not all about ONE QB and ONE WR. Orton spread the ball around to 7 different WR's yesterday. It also almost seems like the first half of play calling is a warm up for the second half. Halftime adjustments are made to what they succeeded at or not and we come out in the second half and do what works.

SD has a lot of film to look at this week. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a "wildcat" formation out of them with Sproiles.

OldschoolFreak
10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Agree.
Orton spread the ball around to 7 different WR's yesterday. It also almost seems like the first half of play calling is a warm up for the second half. Halftime adjustments are made to what they succeeded at or not and we come out in the second half and do what works.

Off topic as I digress into praise but MAN WAS THAT FUN TO WATCH. Though I was somewhat ambivalent about the Cutler trade (I saw some good-he was a little bitch, and some bad-man was he fun to watch, despite the INTs) I knew the team wouldn't collapse, believed in the idea of a ball control system, but thought it wouldn't be any fun to watch.

Man was I wrong. This wasn't just not boring to watch, it was frikken sweet! I absolutely loved the unpredictability, the even distribution of the football, the increasing strength of the offense as the game wore on and they got more comfortable together, and the fact that they looked absolutely unstoppable in the fourth quarter!

Watchthemiddle
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Off topic as I digress into praise but MAN WAS THAT FUN TO WATCH. Though I was somewhat ambivalent about the Cutler trade (I saw some good-he was a little bitch, and some bad-man was he fun to watch, despite the INTs) I knew the team wouldn't collapse, believed in the idea of a ball control system, but thought it wouldn't be any fun to watch.

Man was I wrong. This wasn't just not boring to watch, it was frikken sweet! I absolutely loved the unpredictability, the even distribution of the football, the increasing strength of the offense as the game wore on and they got more comfortable together, and the fact that they looked absolutely unstoppable in the fourth quarter!

All anyone needed to see was the 90 and 98 yard drives that turned into TD's and not FG's.

One more thing on play calling....as far as I remember, we only ran one screen all day. And it was a 27 yard gain. Great timing with it. We hit slants and curl routes all day. Some would say its still a dink and dunk offense, but I didn't see Brady and Co. airing it out deep either.

NightTrainLayne
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
The most glaring coaching error was the challenges. As stated above both were really dumb "rookie" mistakes. I imagine though that McD will learn from those.

Special teams have fallen off a cliff over the past few weeks after starting the season pretty strong. How that defense kept its head and stopped the Pats three times on that one drive I'll never know.

Hamilton was just getting absolutely abused by Wilfork yesterday. Hamilton just isn't able to straight-up drive a defender one-on-one. He does great at pass protection for the most part, but his run-blocking is getting worse. Seems like McD planned for this some with Hochstein coming in to play Tight-end, and motioning into some trap blocks to help out on that side.

On defense, we still need some work on coverage schemes. There has been at least one play in every game so far where we've been totally confused and left someone running free. Thankfully, nobody's capitalized on it yet.

Still plenty of areas to improve on. Good news is that this team gets better every single week. I have no doubt that this staff will be working on the areas that need improvement and that the players will respond to it.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2009, 12:15 PM
1. fumbles, ball control.
2. STs still are poor. Returners running into each other is a recipe for disaster!
Also, McKinley needs to pull his head outta his @$$ !!! He does stupid things out there, like returning kick-offs deep in the end zone and not even getting to the 20. Just dumb.
3. D-line Pressure. Just gotta have it. If Rivers gets a little time, he can BURN opposing defenses.

Except for yesterday's game, I had seen a vast ST's improvement in the first 4 games.

Day1BroncoFan
10-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I would say that Moreno needs to work on holding on to the ball.

We need to work on our 3rd down play calling with less than a yard to go.

ST need work, stop the penalties and don't interfere with each other.

Tackling on D is getting a little sloppier it seems.

We need to put more pressure on the QB with the D line somehow.

I am happy as a pig in mud that we're 5-0. All in all the team is doing good. It's just some small mistakes they are making can kill us.

Cugel
10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
#1 -- You can't really fault the defense at all. When your defense is averaging giving up only 11 points a game over 5 games, that's as good as it gets. That's 2000 Ravens territory. Don't expect that to last all season because hardly anybody has done that over the last 25 years!

You can say, "it would be nice to generate more pressure with just the front 4" but Ron Fields, Kenny Peterson and Roy McBean are not elite DL. You can't expect them to rush the passer because they can't do it.

The defense is designed to get pressure from the LBs and occasional safety blitz with Brian Dawkins. The fact that Dumervil was a factor yesterday despite not getting a sack is indication that it's working.

This is actually an ENCOURAGING sign since Tom Brady is one of the two best QBs in football and stopping him and that offense and holding them to 17 points is a great job by the defense -- especially when you don't have a bunch of DL named Michael Strahan, Osi Omenyiori, and Justin Tuck -- and have to do it with Peterson, Fields and McBean!

Offensively, this team has a LONG way to go. Relying on Brandon Marshall to win every game is not going to do work. And you can't expect a miracle play every week either.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I am not going to concern myself with what I feel the improvements should be, as I have all the confidence in Coach McD and his staff to realize what the improvements should be, and do everything possible to correct those areas.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-12-2009, 12:59 PM
We need a time machine so we can go back and not fire Shanny, keep the same retreads on D and maybe draft a 6th round RB AGAIN. We're 5-0 in a "rebuilding/transition" year folks. Not getting overly cocky, but...All is well.