PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Hillis

wbmustang
10-12-2009, 01:11 AM
I am very happy that we are 5-0 no doubt but my question is where is Peyton Hillis in short yardage situations or in the game period?

jhildebrand
10-12-2009, 02:13 AM
I think he may have been inactive

wbmustang
10-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Naw I saw him out there on a special teams play it was on the Kickoff team or something.

JDL
10-12-2009, 03:02 AM
My question is where is Brandon Stokely (he was active today)... if we could just get all of our WRs going, we could have a pretty interesting offense to field.

But, yes, it would be great to really make full use of all of our weapons including Hillis, but we're more of a 1 RB set kind of offense now, though I miss the little bootlegs and throws to the flat and the pitches to the RB outside.

For now though I will settle for 5-0 and the re-emergence of Eddie Royal... Hall-ehhhh-f-ing-luuuuua (or however you spell it!)

Magnificent Seven
10-12-2009, 03:17 AM
They looked good without Hillis and Stokley. So, Orton has many weapons! I am sure that Hillis and Stokley will have plenty of actions in next few games.

However, I want to see Hillis and Moreno on the field on the same time! They would be "Power Trip."

Dirk
10-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. Maybe Hillis is still having trouble holding onto the ball. Kind of like Moreno but a little more in practice.

I am also glad to see Royal getting into the game! Just like was said...get BMarsh into the game and Royal will become a threat again.

gregbroncs
10-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Frankly Hillis has been a huge disappointment so far this year and is in the dog house due to fumble fingers and stupid penalties both on ST and when he was in on the goal line. I am not in a hurry to see him back on the field after his stupid mistakes on the few plays he has been in on.

broncofaninfla
10-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Frankly Hillis has been a huge disappointment so far this year and is in the dog house due to fumble fingers and stupid penalties both on ST and when he was in on the goal line. I am not in a hurry to see him back on the field after his stupid mistakes on the few plays he has been in on.

Moreno has made stupid mistakes as well but he is still getting the ball. Just saying.......

CoachChaz
10-12-2009, 08:38 AM
I think the curve is a little looser for Moreno than it is for Hillis at the moment.

It would have been nice to see Hiilis in the backfield on the OT drive. I think he could have picked up that 3 yards instead of having Orton throw into the end zone.

SOCALORADO.
10-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I really dont think Hillis fits into the offensive scheme.
I am not saying hes not a good football player, but i think MCD looks at him as a wasted spot, but a good STer, so he kept him. I think he may even be trade bait if the right offer comes about to another team that would use him in a different offensive scheme.
Look at NEs roster. I dont even know if they have a FB, ( i know, Hillis is also a RB)
and i cant remember the last time they ever used one regularly. RARELY does NE ever use a FB, or a blocking back RB in on offensive sets. The "spread" just does not have alot of need for a player like Hillis. I guess MCD could fit him into plays, we'll see i guess.
I was wondering why they dont put both Hillis and Moreno out for a Wild Horses play with one of them in motion to help block. Oh well...

gregbroncs
10-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Moreno has made stupid mistakes as well but he is still getting the ball. Just saying.......Hillis has made just as many mistakes and he is not getting the ball. How bad does that make Hillis? A false start from a running back is just flat out stupid and inexcusable especially down on the goal line.

Also Moreno is a rookie and Hillis is not. I hope Hillis becomes a great player for this team but as of right now I don't think he should be in the games, except on ST.

CoachChaz
10-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I agree he's a weapon that can be used in short yardage situations, but that causes 2 problems. When he's on the field...it's safe to assume it's for a reason and the defense can figure it out. Secondly...there are already a ton of weapons on the field and only so many balls to go around

spikerman
10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Frankly, I'm worried about Hillis' spot on the roster after this year. He's had a major sophomore slump. He was already struggling for playing time before he had the fumble on that kick off a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday he was active and I'm not sure if it was his fault, but the Broncos had to burn a timeout when it looked like he wasn't sure where to line up in the formation.

Again, it may not have been his fault, but it certainly didn't look good and I'm not sure I saw him in the game anymore after that. I'm a big Hillis fan and I think both he and Stokley are being underused, but it's hard to argue with the results so far.

wbmustang
10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I also need to recognize that we have so many weapons and only one ball.

Tned
10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Frankly, I'm worried about Hillis' spot on the roster after this year. He's had a major sophomore slump. He was already struggling for playing time before he had the fumble on that kick off a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday he was active and I'm not sure if it was his fault, but the Broncos had to burn a timeout when it looked like he wasn't sure where to line up in the formation.

Again, it may not have been his fault, but it certainly didn't look good and I'm not sure I saw him in the game anymore after that. I'm a big Hillis fan and I think both he and Stokley are being underused, but it's hard to argue with the results so far.

Yea, it sure looked like Hillis lined up on the wrong side (looked like he lined up where he should be AFTER he was put in motion), and therefore when he was put in the right spot and then put in motion, they ran out of time.

McDaniels doesn't look like he accepts mental mistakes. Look at how he reacted to Reid running into the kicker. Hillis has not only had the KO fumble in game one or two, but a false start when in as RB on the goal line, two ST penalties last week (I think it was last week), and caused the burning of a TO yesterday.

I don't agree with some of the points earlier in the thread about him not fitting in the offense, because we read so much both from the media and camp reports about how Hillis was used, and very effective, all over the field.

I think he has simply put himself in the dog house with mental mistakes. Hopefully. he will work through them and get some time on the field.

Jordan clearly doesn't bring much to the table, at a minimum, Hillis would likely be more productive in those late, burn the clock, move the chains positions.

GEM
10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Hillis was dressed yesterday. I agree that his mistakes have put him in the doghouse and he'll have to fight his way out.

Stokely is nursing a hammy injury.

pnbronco
10-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Well put Tned. I think Hillis is snake bite right now, but I'm hoping it all works out because I don't think Jordan adds anything.

I think Stok is still a little hurt. They had him out there but he just didn't seem to be in the mix like normal.

titan
10-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Hillis has struggled this year so far with fumbles and mistakes but I think his day will come. There will be a game when he's more involved in the game plan (especially with his receiving skills). Until yesterday we were asking what happened to Eddie Royal this year and Royal had a big game against the Pats. McDaniels is good at mixing it up on offense; he's going to take advantage of Peyton's unique abilities before the season is out.

Ray Finkle
10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Shanny was down on him last year because of his practice habits....maybe that is happening again.

Watchthemiddle
10-12-2009, 11:46 AM

I would also add that when he is in the game at times he seems lost. I remember a play in the first half where he was lined up on the wrong side and Orton had to tell him to move, and then had to take a time out.

OldschoolFreak
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
His time will come (I hope because he's a damn good football player).

I'd like to see McD add yet another wrinkle and add a two back formation on some plays. Seems like yet another thing for defenses to have to game plan for. Imagine Hillis running wild in front of Moreno on play, gashing a big whole for a 20 yard gain. And then a pass to the fullback in the flat on the next. Why not utilize yet another weapon?

honz
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I still think that Larsen being out is making the coaches be cautious about using Hillis elsewhere. That said, as has been documented in this thread, Hillis lined up out wide in the first Q yesterday but appeared to be lined up wrong as Orton had to direct him elsewhere and then burn a TO because the play clock was running down. That isn't gonna help him get more playing time.

The fact is that Hillis has not been good in the few chances that he has gotten to play this year. He has made several costly mistakes in his limited chances.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
It's called effort. He could do a lot better. He has never been nearly as good as his supporters here would make him out to be.

wbmustang
10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
It's called effort. He could do a lot better. He has never been nearly as good as his supporters here would make him out to be.

This may be true but from what we saw last year we know he can play. He was doing well until Jay Cutler hung him out to dry and messed up his hamstring catching that pass. I also disagree with the Larsen statement because I have yet to really see us use a formation with a FB. All of our short yardage stuff was run with one back formations. All in all like I said I am very happy with 5-0 and know it's more about the team than one person getting off.

nevcraw
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM

No true.. Until his injury last year he was a stud.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
By that logic Tatum Bell, Olandis Gary and company were all studs too because they put up numbers. A lot of backs have done that. He isn't special.

nevcraw
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Hillis is not a priority in this offense. He's a luxury.. at some point he wil ge to play a role and will remind them again of his immense talent.
MCD talked him up all offseason, so it would suprise me that they now value him.
I did notice in the pre-season that they had him run outside a bunch wouch was suprising based on his skill set, he also did not seem to as strong to the hole this year. could be learning curve and slow recovery to his injury..
Maybe they are saving him for the Chargers.. Everyweek a new rinkle..

nevcraw
10-12-2009, 02:47 PM
By that logic Tatum Bell, Olandis Gary and company were all studs too because they put up numbers. A lot of backs have done that. He isn't special.

His teammates and coaches disagree. None of those other guys showed all that he did in such a short time..

Day1BroncoFan
10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I think Hillis will get more carries this week against the chargirls.

McD has something special in mind for them but I don't know what it is yet. I think that whatever he has in mind will include Hillis.

Just a hunch. :D

wbmustang
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Also I liked how we ran a couple of Wild Horses play you could see that they totally caught Belichick off guard.

D1g1tal j1m
10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't think Hillis fits into the offensive system that McD has installed. I thought at the beginning of the year that Hillis should be used in the Dallas Clark role and play the slot out of the TE position. But he isn't good enough of a blocker to be used as a TE (a must in McD's system) and we have Stoks and Gaff as the slot guys. The Broncos don't use a FB in the spread offense so that takes away another spot for Hillis. He has concussions and fumble issues so that takes away his short yardage role.
Honestly I don't know how he could be used. Maybe McD will find a way to get him involved if he continues to work hard and convinces McD that he can be a weapon on offense. Hillis was Shan's project and whatever leeway he had or future role in Shan's offense is now gone.

Drill-N-Fill
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Fumbling once doesn't mean he has "issues." I would love to see him get the rock in 3rd and 1 plays. Moreno has has had about 4-5 opportunites where he has failed in short yardage.

honz
10-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Again, none of our backs have been successful in short yardage situations. Hillis has gotten stuffed a couple times, Jordan got stuffed once, and Moreno has been stuffed several times. The problem is with our play calling and blocking up front. Hamilton and Weigmann simply aren't big enough to block guys like Wilfork and Ratliff and get blown off the line. We are getting zero push from our line up the middle on short yardage plays.

broncofaninfla
10-13-2009, 08:49 AM

I feel the same way about Moreno. I'm happy with him and he is improving but he isn't the second coming of christ like some people make him out to be.