PDA

View Full Version : Town Hall Discussion: Feedback wanted on rules, moderation, banning procedures, etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tned
12-23-2007, 12:27 AM
============================
EDIT 1/5/08

Due to the wandering nature of this thread, and a pressing need to deal with profanity right away, we have created a new thread with very pointed questions about profanity (what is/isn't). Please continue general discussions in this thread, but answer the specific questions at this link: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=84747#post84747

Thanks
============================

Ok, we are a few days short of our four month anniversary and it’s time to take another look at our rules and guidelines. Initially, we put our rules together in a rather hurried fashion, and ‘borrowed’ bits and pieces from several other online communities to give us a starting point.

Now that we have all had three or four months to see how things are going, we would like some feedback. The advisory board can't guarantee that all feedback will be implemented, but it will all be listened to and considered. The importance of discussion like this is for the advisory board to see where the community stands, and if there are areas where it is clear that most members feel a change should take place, then we will strongly consider such a change.

First, let’s set some ground rules:

This is not a chance to pile on the moderators. They have a tough job, and are attempting to enforce the rules that are in place.

Blame the system, not the people. If our rules are too strict, let’s focus on that, because the moderators are expected to enforce the rules in place, whether they like or agree with them.

Back to what we need to accomplish. This is an open discussion. This means we aren’t voting, we aren’t asking for yes/no responses, we are looking for feedback. What’s working well, what would you like to see different. In addition, while we have yet needed to ban any members, that time will come. We need input from you on the process you would like us to follow. So, with all of that said, here are some of the topics we would like feedback on, but feel free to cover any other rules/moderation/banning topics you feel we need to discuss.

Rules in general:

Are the rules (http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514) as they are written now, on the mark, too strict, too loose?

Obscene Language/Profanity:

Where should the line be drawn in terms of what is or isn’t profanity?
What is or isn’t acceptable language to use?
Are terms like WTH or WTF ok?
What about people posting words that are caught by the profanity censor, or slightly altered to avoid the filter. Is it ok to post: The team played like *** or the team played like sh!t?
What level of language should actually be filtered, where should the line be drawn between what is ‘acceptable’ to most people, and what is profane?

Sexually Explicit Images:

What images shouldn’t be allowed?
Nudity is a given, because this is not an adult-only site, but beyond that, where is the line drawn?
Are pics or women in bra and panties (Victoria Secret models) or bikinis ok? What about men in speedos?
A normal bikini bottom vs. a thong?

There are many different opinions about what is or isn’t acceptable, what is or isn’t sexually explicit. Where do you stand?

Moderation:
Realize that the moderation is tied very directly to the rules, and that changing the rules will have the knock on effect of changing how moderation is done.

Do you feel we are hitting the mark in our moderation (general threads, game day threads, etc.) or are we too strict or too lenient in our moderation?
Again, respecting the hard work of our volunteer moderation staff, are we hitting the mark with our moderation, and how can we get better?

Duck Before Entering/Smack:
Should this forum be more loosely moderated than other forums? Should more flaming/personal attacks be allowed?

Banning:

The time will come, when we have to start banning members. There are multiple issues to consider and methods that this can happen.
The first issue related to banning is how strongly should the rules be enforced. Meaning, is it acceptable for people to repeatedly break the rules (posting profanity for instance) and simply have the moderators edit/delete posts, or should the rules be strictly enforced and those that break them should be suspended for x days?
At what point, in terms of breaking rules, should a person be suspended from the board. If they avoid the language filter once, or 10 times or 100 times?
Should banning be a formalized process, such as a system that might have two official warnings and then a suspension, possibly followed by a probation period, OR, should all bans be voted on by the 7 members advisory board, OR should suspensions/bans be determined by the moderators?
On other message boards, few things have created as much controversy as banning, so this is something where we really need community feedback, in terms of how it should be done.

Infraction Point System:

Should we consider implementing an Infraction Point (IP) system, with publicly stated point values and suspension/banning/loss of privileges thresholds?
While people coming over from BM have a bad taste in their mouth about how the IP system works, many other sites have successfully implemented IP systems, and it provides a means to avoid surprises to members in regards of where they stand and reduces the number of 'surprise' bannings.

Any other Rules/moderation topics you would like to discuss

Any other topics related to rules, moderation, banning or similar topics that weren't covered above.

SR
12-23-2007, 03:01 AM

What about people posting words that are caught by the profanity censor, or slightly altered to avoid the filter. Is it ok to post: The team played like *** or the team played like sh!t?
What level of language should actually be filtered, where should the line be drawn between what is ‘acceptable’ to most people, and what is profane?

I think the language filters should be loosened up a little bit. People should not get e-mails from moderators asking to tone things down for saying things like WTF. It's commonly used internet jargan (sp?). People should be able to use the language they want, just so long as it isn't aimed at people, i.e. calling someone on the board a piece of sh!t. But, if I want to say "that call was horse sh!t" I should be able to say that I think. We have more than enough moderators to take things by a case by case basis and we also have a fancy little button we can click to report posts. As a former mod, I know how much people reporting posts helps because moderators cannot catch all of people's foul ups.

Nudity is a given, because this is not an adult-only site, but beyond that, where is the line drawn?
Are pics or women in bra and panties (Victoria Secret models) or bikinis ok? What about men in speedos?

I think common sense should take over here. No nudity, girls spread eagle in undies, etc. The majority of us here are men, we appreciate a woman's beauty, and I see no problem with posting pictures of girls in bikini's, thongs (so long as the images aren't trashy), etc. If someone posts up a "hottest girl in the world" type thread and someone reports a post because an image might be 'too revealing', guess what, you can make the conscious decision not to enter that thread.

Should this forum be more loosely moderated than other forums? Should more flaming/personal attacks be allowed?
What's the point of talking smack when you're going to have someone looking over your shoulder telling you what you can and cannot say? Enough said.

Infraction Point System:

Should we consider implementing an Infraction Point (IP) system, with publicly stated point values and suspension/banning/loss of privileges thresholds?
While people coming over from BM have a bad taste in their mouth about how the IP system works, many other sites have successfully implemented IP systems, and it provides a means to avoid surprises to members in regards of where they stand and reduces the number of 'surprise' bannings.

IF an IP system does get implimented, it CANNOT be like it was at BM. It shouldn't be for piddly crap, but solid, rule breaking reasons. If someone calls someone a f***ing piece of sh!t or wishes death upon someone, etc, IP are necessary. People like that are the ones who will get banned anyway, lay 'em on.

fcspikeit
12-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Rules in general:

Are the rules (http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514) as they are written now, on the mark, too strict, too loose?

I haven't had any problems with the rules as they are now. I like the idea of going over them a couple times a year though. That way if a problem does come up it can be addressed.

I feel just typing *** is fine. But trying to get around the filter by typing Sh!t
should not be allowed. If we aren't going to allow a ward then it Shouldn't be allowed in any readable form.

There are many different opinions about what is or isn’t acceptable, what is or isn’t sexually explicit. Where do you stand?

I don't think any photos of any team except the Broncos should be allowed! JK :) I think if you can see it on prime time TV or at a public place like the beach it should be allowed.

Yes, there should be more leniency in this forum. I hate seeing smack in the other threads. I go to BT to have intelligent conversation about the Broncos. I dont want to see anyone getting smacked there, for me it ruins the whole thread, But in the Duck Before Entering/Smack: forum that is what it is for. Those who want to post there take the risk of being smacked. I don't think profanity should be allowed but people should be able to say your an idiot or you must have an IQ of 2 stuff like that.

Banning:

The time will come, when we have to start banning members. There are multiple issues to consider and methods that this can happen.
The first issue related to banning is how strongly should the rules be enforced. Meaning, is it acceptable for people to repeatedly break the rules (posting profanity for instance) and simply have the moderators edit/delete posts, or should the rules be strictly enforced and those that break them should be suspended for x days?

We must assume anyone that can write can learn. If a person is repeatedly braking the same rules they should be suspended then kicked off if they continue to do so. People aren't dumb, if they get told you can't type that they should stop. If they ignore the warnings it is because they don't care about anyone but themselves. If that is the case they should be kicked off

At what point, in terms of breaking rules, should a person be suspended from the board. If they avoid the language filter once, or 10 times or 100 times?

If they brake the same rule 3 times they should get suspended. If they come back and brake the same rule again they should get suspended for a longer time period. Then if they come back again and brake the same rule they should get the boot!

Keep in mind that, it should be a clear case of braking the rules. If there is gray area then the member should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Also, IMO no one should ever be banned for the posting of multiple threads no matter how much they do it. I know it gets tiresome and it causes more work for the moderators but IMO it is not a bad enough offence to get kicked off for

Should banning be a formalized process, such as a system that might have two official warnings and then a suspension, possibly followed by a probation period, OR, should all bans be voted on by the 7 members advisory board, OR should suspensions/bans be determined by the moderators?
On other message boards, few things have created as much controversy as banning, so this is something where we really need community feedback, in terms of how it should be done.

All banning should be by a vote of the moderators. This board has a personal feel to it and I don't want to be kicked off because of some formalized counting proses. I want my day in court so to speak. Real people can look at a situation and decide how bad the offense was and if it is deserving of a banning.

Infraction Point System:

I got 3 infraction points on BM. The infraction was reversed after I talked to the moderator who gave me the infraction, What I hate about it is that it still shows up in my user page every time I log on. It says reversed but it is still there. I typed F****** and typed it just like that. I didn't know I couldn't do that. After getting the infraction I went and changed my post. I have never done it again and had never done it before. The only reason I did it in the first place was because I was repeating what someone had said to me about Plummer. Anyways, after learning it was against the rules I didn't do it again. So I guess it served it's purpose. It is also a good way for the moderators to keep track of how many offenses a member has committed. But I don't like the idea of taking privileges away from members.

At the same time, if the member is only causing trouble in one forum they should be suspended from that forum. Like the smack forum, Some people just don't take insults well, If they can't control themselves there that don't mean they can't in the other forums.

Any other topics related to rules, moderation, banning or similar topics that weren't covered above.

I really haven't had any trouble and I haven't heard of any trouble, But I would like there to be extreme leniency on religion and political views and also, With the discussion about race.

Here is an example, Over at BM there was a thread about some kid being a white Reggie Bush. Someone said he was a good RB for a white guy. That didn't seem to be a problem but the discussion turned to why Blacks are faster and better RB's then Whites. As soon as that happened they locked the thread and deleted a lot of post's but left the the post that said, He is a good RB for a white guy. I thought it was a good discussion and one that most people are clearly off on. However beings it was about race we couldn't even discus it.

The bottom line is, there are more black RB's then there are White. There is either a reason for this or the NFL is just racist. I like to think we can have an intelligent conversation about race without people getting rude and or calling someone a racist just for bringing it up. Another example was in a thread about Larry Johnson and an interview he had on Inside the NFL. IMO what Larry Johnson said was wrong but we couldn't discus it because it was about his racist remarks.

I do not want to get into what Larry Johnson said or about the white Reggie Bush in this thread :) But if we have comments/Ideas about these sort of threads I think we should voice our opinions.

My opinion is that they should be allowed. However I don't think calling another member a racist should be. That is a personal attack on someones caricature.

claymore
12-23-2007, 09:36 AM
I think the language filters should be loosened up a little bit. People should not get e-mails from moderators asking to tone things down for saying things like WTF. It's commonly used internet jargan (sp?). People should be able to use the language they want, just so long as it isn't aimed at people, i.e. calling someone on the board a piece of sh!t. But, if I want to say "that call was horse sh!t" I should be able to say that I think. We have more than enough moderators to take things by a case by case basis and we also have a fancy little button we can click to report posts. As a former mod, I know how much people reporting posts helps because moderators cannot catch all of people's foul ups.

I think common sense should take over here. No nudity, girls spread eagle in undies, etc. The majority of us here are men, we appreciate a woman's beauty, and I see no problem with posting pictures of girls in bikini's, thongs (so long as the images aren't trashy), etc. If someone posts up a "hottest girl in the world" type thread and someone reports a post because an image might be 'too revealing', guess what, you can make the conscious decision not to enter that thread.

What's the point of talking smack when you're going to have someone looking over your shoulder telling you what you can and cannot say? Enough said.

IF an IP system does get implimented, it CANNOT be like it was at BM. It shouldn't be for piddly crap, but solid, rule breaking reasons. If someone calls someone a f***ing piece of sh!t or wishes death upon someone, etc, IP are necessary. People like that are the ones who will get banned anyway, lay 'em on.

What Yo said.

claymore
12-23-2007, 09:46 AM
One more thing, The older the board is and the longer the member tunure becomes, it will easier to tell when someone is breaking the rules. With personal attacks.

But if you tell a long time member/freind to kiss your @$$, or wtf you freakin retard etc........ I do not think that is bad. I like to bust balls, and have the same done to me.

slim
12-23-2007, 04:36 PM
One more thing, The older the board is and the longer the member tunure becomes, it will easier to tell when someone is breaking the rules. With personal attacks.

But if you tell a long time member/freind to kiss your @$$, or wtf you freakin retard etc........ I do not think that is bad. I like to bust balls, and have the same done to me.

Nice post, retard :D

I agree with SeeingRed...nice post, well said.

claymore
12-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Nice post, retard :D

I agree with SeeingRed...nice post, well said.
LOL, that was over my first cup of coffee.... ****

nj10
12-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Cussing :as long as profanity isn't aimed at another member...it's ok.

Pictures: no "cash & prizes" shown then it's ok. You just can't see their "situation" so to say.

banning procedures: very loose. maybe a points system but points should not be given for profanity

Jody
12-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Regarding the Smack especially, I think that forum should be filled with freedoms not found anywhere else on the board. I could not agree more. People should be able to curse, slam, humiliate, etc.....as it's not a forum for the meek and mild mannered. If the meek and mild mannered roam within that forum and make whiney noises....then THEY should be reprimanded, not the ones posting in the forum that's meant to be extremely blunt. ;)

fcspikeit
12-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Cussing :as long as profanity isn't aimed at another member...it's ok.

If we allow profanity in any form we have to make the board for adults only.
It is pretty classless and selfish to be posting profanity on a board that a 12 year old could read.

banning procedures: very loose. maybe a points system but points should not be given for profanity

If we are going to make a no profanity rule it should be enforced to the point you could get banned for it. If a member can't get banned for braking a rule the rule needs to be dumped!

It seems a lot of the members here have no problem with profanity, I don't have a problem with it either except for the fact kids get on these boards. That being said, maybe we should have an adults only forum where you could post anything you want including nudity?

Members would have the choice to either post there or not.

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Did someone say nudity...

claymore
12-23-2007, 06:54 PM
I dont see a need for profanity, but have no problem with ****. **** is just as descriptive as the real curse word.

I also do not want a bunch of nude pics. I love the stuff, but it is easy to access outside of here.

But, I have never met a 12 year old kid on any of the forums................. Mostly married men that cant go to bars......... :D

Tned
12-23-2007, 06:55 PM
I dont see a need for profanity, but have no problem with ****. **** is just as descriptive as the real curse word.

I also do not want a bunch of nude pics. I love the stuff, but it is easy to access outside of here.

But, I have never met a 12 year old kid on any of the forums................. Mostly married men that cant go to bars......... :D

I don't know about 12, but we do have some that are in the 14 range, and are great contributors to the board.

nj10
12-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I joined Broncosfreak at age 15 (I'm nearly 20)...believe me...They already know cuss words

fcspikeit
12-23-2007, 07:02 PM
I joined Broncosfreak at age 15 (I'm nearly 20)...believe me...They already know cuss words

Your right they do, does that mean we should contribute to a bad thing?

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Profanity isn't necessary, but sometimes you accidentally slip. I know I have. I've been known to have a few meltdowns at times.

fcspikeit
12-23-2007, 07:07 PM

I have never met a 12 year old on here either, But there are some 14 years old. 12, 14 whats the difference? I don't think you can legally have profanity on a public forum with out it being for adults only.

Tned
12-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I have never met a 12 year old on here either, But there are some 14 years old. 12, 14 whats the difference? I don't think you can legally have profanity on a public forum with out it being for adults only.

I think in terms of profanity, it probably depends on how it is defined. For instance, the FCC says that words like Ass, *****, **** and stuff is ok for day time and prime time TV, which is when the have the strictest rules to protect kids. So, sitcoms like Two and a Half men use words like Ass and such all the time, in the 7 and 8 (central time) o'clock slots. Movies like Shrek, make jokes of curses, like with "donkey is an ass".

The legal problem comes when it becomes pornagraphic or obscene in nature. When the curses are describing sexual acts. Not just a go **** yourself, but "on a cold night, in front of the fireplace....." you get the picture, I won't describe that further.

So, I just bring this up to explain that the way we need to define what is or isn't profanity, or what is or isn't acceptable profanity, isn't a legal issue, but more of a practical/moral one. It should come down to what we believe as a community is ok, considering we know we have youngsters that come here. What will have their parents forbid them from coming to the board if they looked over their shoulder and read ____ on the screen.

I am not going to chip in with my personal opinion on this at this point, I would rather continue to watch the discussion, but I did want to touch on the legal issue.

fcspikeit
12-23-2007, 07:25 PM
I think in terms of profanity, it probably depends on how it is defined. For instance, the FCC says that words like Ass, *****, **** and stuff is ok for day time and prime time TV, which is when the have the strictest rules to protect kids. So, sitcoms like Two and a Half men use words like Ass and such all the time, in the 7 and 8 (central time) o'clock slots. Movies like Shrek, make jokes of curses, like with "donkey is an ass".

The legal problem comes when it becomes pornagraphic or obscene in nature. When the curses are describing sexual acts. Not just a go **** yourself, but "on a cold night, in front of the fireplace....." you get the picture, I won't describe that further.

So, I just bring this up to explain that the way we need to define what is or isn't profanity, or what is or isn't acceptable profanity, isn't a legal issue, but more of a practical/moral one. It should come down to what we believe as a community is ok, considering we know we have youngsters that come here. What will have their parents forbid them from coming to the board if they looked over their shoulder and read ____ on the screen.

I am not going to chip in with my personal opinion on this at this point, I would rather continue to watch the discussion, but I did want to touch on the legal issue.

From the sounds of it some are talking about using worse words then ass. That is what I was talking about when I brought up the legal issue.

nj10
12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
aghh..you're just a giant poop face ;)

schnooks1
12-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Maybe we should follow George Carlin's seven words that you can't say on tv?? I actually think that list has grown??!!

There is a difference between cursing and crudeness. Being crude isn't necessary in word or pictures in my book. They have xx rated sites for that. But I also don't think that this needs to be a G rated site either.

You do not want to add anything to a teens vocabulary... but I have been an aide at my daughters school and OMG you are not going to teach them anything they haven't heard already!

I think the CRUDE part is the real issue. You really don't have to use swear words to insult someone... I used to say as a teen: YOU SCUM SUCKING PIG" and my mother would "AHHHHHHH " but it did not have one bad word in it. Or I would say, "Why don't you go sit on something long hard and sharp and rotate." Not one swear word... but pretty bad if directed at someone! (I am german/irish and can have a pretty bad temper:laugh:)

Never gunna please everyone... no way, no how. I just vote that it isn't so bad to see or hear if it isn't crude!

sneakers
12-23-2007, 07:35 PM

* What images shouldn’t be allowed?
* Nudity is a given, because this is not an adult-only site, but beyond that, where is the line drawn?
* Are pics or women in bra and panties (Victoria Secret models) or bikinis ok? What about men in speedos?
* A normal bikini bottom vs. a thong?

I don't have any problem with dudes in speedos....I think you have to take bikinis and underwear on a case per case basis....

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 12:06 AM
I'll post more later when I have more time to think.. but..

I think we should at least be able to make a few snipes at different posters.
Theres too many sensitive people on here.
Actually theres probably only a few.
But I think we should have a "fight" forum.
I'm on another site where you can flame members and do whatever :lol:

Make it like 18 and over or something are able to access that forum.

But I'll post more later.
I just think this forum should be able to go to at least PG Rated. :salute:

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Profanity - no need for it

Nudity - no need for it

Talking smack - a BIG need for it, even outside of duck before entering. You can talk smack without degrading another poster. In any thread.

Banning - needs to be a gradual process that gets a harsher and harsher punishment over time or offense. BUT, it needs to be clear to the poster of the punishable offense. They should not be kept out in the dark.

IP system - no need for it.

Tned
12-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Profanity - no need for it

Nudity - no need for it

Talking smack - a BIG need for it, even outside of duck before entering. You can talk smack without degrading another poster. In any thread.

Funny, I am the exact opposite:

Profanity - Only when I talk

Nudity - Can't live without it

Talking smack - The world would be a better place without it.

Just kidding :laugh: sort of ;)

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Funny, I am the exact opposite:

Profanity - Only when I talk

Nudity - Can't live without it

Just kidding :laugh: sort of

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Alright here we go:

As for language it dont really matter to me. If someone wants to cuss every other word I wont care. If someone is against saying words like "damn" then I dont care much either. But I think stuff like WTF and LMFAO shouldn't be too bad. Sometimes its just the way people talk. I use to be the king of LMAO's and stuff back in the day but I toned it down a notch. :lol: <<-- now I just use that smiley in place of it. I say WTF from time to time as well but when I say it I'm not even thinking of it being a vulgar word. Its just figure of speach or whatever. Maybe even "****" can be acceptable. lol .. but the langauge thing doesn't matter to much to me. I'm usually good with my language so I dont have a problem with it. I hold my true emotions inside me.

As for the sexually explecit stuff.. that dont matter as much either. Theres some members who I would like to see what they looked like without clothes on so I think we shoudl allow nudity. J/k btw. But Yea I dont want this to be a porn site so no nude pics and stuff. I came here to talk about football and to comunicate with other people.. Not to get some via the internet or other stuff like that. I think as long as theres no skin showing (such as male or female body parts) then it should be fine. But I dont think this site has a problem with nude pics so there should be no worries.

Now.... as for the smack talking. Its way to sensitive IMO. I cant even make a little snide remark or even a mini joke without having every single post edited. If I wanted my posts edited I would do so myself. I think we should be able to get a little personal. Not name calling every sentence but damn. It seems like no matter what you say its the wrong thing. The Smack forum is rated G. We should be able to smack more. When I wanna throw down I wanna throw down and show errbody whats up. :fight: So we should be able to say more stuff in smack talk. If people cant handle a little smack then they should grow a pair. But thats just me.
I also think that if some people trash talk a little bit in any other forum it should be fine. You shouldn't get in trouble for talkin a lil trash in other forums. Its okay to get a little off topic. It happens all the time. Theres plenty of threads that get off topic. Maybe I should just report every post. And the stupidest of all stupidest things is getting off topic in the smack forum. Thats rediculous. Thats like getting off topic in the ABF forum. Who really cares?

I dont think theres many people here under 13 so thats why it should be a forum rated PG13. Meaning a lot of stuff can go but it can be crazy like. And the only kid I know here who is 12(Darrent/Hero) .. has a mouth from the south and talks like hes 17 so the age thing really doesn't matter.
Its nice to have rules but sometimes I feel this place gets overboard and we got some people here who think thier Hitler.

And as for Banning people... I guess if you were to ban someone you should start with me since I cant go 1 post without having it edited. I bet this post will even get edited for some silly reason. But I agree that we should ban people that repeatedly break the rules but dont get banhappy. Maybe start off with short bans and then give longer bans each time people act up. But I think this site will be fine with the bans and will make good decisions on that anyways.

Another thing is: since it seems like the Browns get brought up in a thread just about every day why not have a Browns Sub-forum? They get talked about almost as much as the Pats it seems. I have no idea why either.

And as for the IP system... It dont matter to me. I dont pay much attention to that garbage anyways. Its just an IP. I dont see why people get worked up over it. So I'm out of it on that one.

But overrall I'm pretty flexible and will do with whatever happens but I think this forum should be a little less strict and let little things slide. Some people really need to realize that its just a forum and no harm can be done.

If someone calls me a flaming reject and wished death upon me I would really care less. I wouldn't report it or whine or cry or any of that nonsense.

But thats it for now.
I'm sure more stuff will pop into my head from time to time so I will post as it comes along.
Hopefully someone reads this post at least. :coffee:

KCL
12-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Whats with the 3D posting......:eek:

SR
12-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Pictures: no "cash & prizes" shown then it's ok. You just can't see their "situation" so to say.

I see we have another Dane Cook fan on the boards. Well played sir, well played.

claymore
12-24-2007, 02:17 AM
I see we have another Dane Cook fan on the boards. Well played sir, well played.
Red you missed a heck of a day. A bunch of noobs showed up, it was terrible..............:tsk:

SR
12-24-2007, 02:19 AM

Hell at 15 I was already smokin pot out of coke cans and apples. :tsk:

My whole issue with all of this is it basically boils down to common sense. If you don't like the words that some people say, we have an ignore button or you can make the choice to not read that thread.

If in the event that curse words are allowed, people better man up and not report posts left and right. I like to curse and drop the f-bomb a lot, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it here if curse words are allowed. I may drop an f-bomb occasionally when I get heated about something, but for the most part I'll stick to my guns and only say ****, *****, etc.

claymore
12-24-2007, 02:21 AM
Hell at 15 I was already smokin pot out of coke cans and apples. :tsk:

My whole issue with all of this is it basically boils down to common sense. If you don't like the words that some people say, we have an ignore button or you can make the choice to not read that thread.

If in the event that curse words are allowed, people better man up and not report posts left and right. I like to curse and drop the f-bomb a lot, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it here if curse words are allowed. I may drop an f-bomb occasionally when I get heated about something, but for the most part I'll stick to my guns and only say ****, *****, etc.I think anyone who has ever been in the Military uses the F Bomb as a staple...................... It saves so much time, cause it describes so many things, and noone ever ****'s up the termanology.

Tned
12-24-2007, 02:24 AM
I think anyone who has ever been in the Military uses the F Bomb as a staple...................... It saves so much time, cause it describes so many things, and noone ever ****'s up the termanology.

Yea, you military types could learn a lot from the IT world, acronyms like SNAFU and FUBAR'd makes for quick and easy ways to communicate. ;)

Joking aside, these are some of the things that must be decided. Are some of those military and commonly used acronyms, ok?

SR
12-24-2007, 02:25 AM

The only thing the world would be better off without is Ann Coulter, apparently.

SR
12-24-2007, 02:28 AM
Red you missed a heck of a day. A bunch of noobs showed up, it was terrible..............:tsk:

The shitty thing about it is I work from 1am-1pm Eastern time and sleep from about 5pm-midnight eastern time, so I miss out on a lot.

claymore
12-24-2007, 02:29 AM
Yea, you military types could learn a lot from the IT world, acronyms like SNAFU and FUBAR'd makes for quick and easy ways to communicate. ;)

Joking aside, these are some of the things that must be decided. Are some of those military and commonly used acronyms, ok?I think so, but then again, if my 10 year old can say it, Im not too offended.

Dont get me wrong, my kids dont know fubared, but they might tomorrow. If they came up and told me the lawn was fubar'd, I myself consider it a technical term......... And would pat them on the back for such a technical observation,

but that is me./ :D

SR
12-24-2007, 02:30 AM

Joking aside, these are some of the things that must be decided. Are some of those military and commonly used acronyms, ok?

I use SNAFU and FUBAR a lot.

For the folks here who are unfamiliar with those terms...

SNAFU = Something normal all 'fouled' up

FUBAR = f-ed up beyond all recognition

claymore
12-24-2007, 02:30 AM
The shitty thing about it is I work from 1am-1pm Eastern time and sleep from about 5pm-midnight eastern time, so I miss out on a lot.

You just got done with Breakfast didnt you? I love a military breakfast.........

SR
12-24-2007, 02:31 AM
I think so, but then again, if my 10 year old can say it, Im not too offended.

Dont get me wrong, my kids dont know fubared, but they might tomorrow. If they came up and told me the lawn was fubar'd, I myself consider it a technical term......... And would pat them on the back for such a technical observation,

but that is me./ :D

I've my son came up to me and said something was FUBAR, I'd laugh and reply with "good game, son"

claymore
12-24-2007, 02:32 AM
I've my son came up to me and said something was FUBAR, I'd laugh and reply with "good game, son"
TYup, and if they called the new kid at school the FNG, i would cry...........

SR
12-24-2007, 02:32 AM
You just got done with Breakfast didnt you? I love a military breakfast.........

I skipped breakfast today. I slept in an extra half hour to make up for staying up a little later to watch football last night.

But yeah, it's 1030 here right now and I got to work about 0830ish. I had to chew my troop's arse thismorning, so I showed up WAY early. :tsk:

claymore
12-24-2007, 02:34 AM
I skipped breakfast today. I slept in an extra half hour to make up for staying up a little later to watch football last night.

But yeah, it's 1030 here right now and I got to work about 0830ish. I had to chew my troop's arse thismorning, so I showed up WAY early. :tsk:
What he do?

SR
12-24-2007, 02:39 AM
What he do?

Failed a Quality Assurance evaluation. :tsk:

Kapaibro
12-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Just because there are adults on the board doesn't make cursing right. We have a lot of young members, and I personally don't like seeing curse words on the board.

If that's your only form of expression, then it's pretty sad.

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 02:49 AM
Just because there are adults on the board doesn't make cursing right. We have a lot of young members, and I personally don't like seeing curse words on the board.

What about cursing Via PM? ;)
You seem to do a good job of that. :lol:

SR
12-24-2007, 02:51 AM

That's the kind of stereotyping that make people like me dislike people like you.

I curse because it emphasizes a point and because sometimes it adds that 'shock value' to a statement. I don't do it because I've got a weak vocabulary or have no other way of expressing myself. Don't paint everyone with the same brush just because you don't like it.

SR
12-24-2007, 02:52 AM
What about cursing Via PM? ;)
You seem to do a good job of that. :lol:

And now whatever she said about people cursing goes straight out the window. Good job Kap!

Kapaibro
12-24-2007, 02:56 AM
That's the kind of stereotyping that make people like me dislike people like you.

I curse because it emphasizes a point and because sometimes it adds that 'shock value' to a statement. I don't do it because I've got a weak vocabulary or have no other way of expressing myself. Don't paint everyone with the same brush just because you don't like it.

Nice generalisation SR.

So now you don't like me? Thanks a lot. Here I was thinking I had the right to express my opinion, but apparently it just gets me flamed.

Tned
12-24-2007, 02:56 AM

What is a curse? Dang, damn, ass, ???, ???

That's what needs to be discussed. If you take my definition, SR's and yours, we likely have three different thresholds.

US society, accepts much more than BroncosForums does, as witnessed by our network TV shows censored by our OVERLY puratanical FCC, but what we have to determine is what is socially acceptable on BroncosForums.

Tned
12-24-2007, 02:57 AM
Ok, let's try and focus on the topics and not each other. Pretty, Please...

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 02:57 AM
And now whatever she said about people cursing goes straight out the window. Good job Kap!

:lol: Naw... Pms and on the forum is okay.
If I want to cuss people out via Pm or talk with bad language in a pm then its cool. Its different when everyone else can read it though.

Cussings bad anyways so I dont really do it. Its a lot easier not to cuss online then it is in real life. :lol:

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 02:59 AM
I love reading discussions like this. Its pretty interesting seeing peoples opinions and E-fights. :lol:
I love open ideas.

Something else off topic: How Do I already have 400 plus posts?
And how do some people have over 3000?

It seems like this site just started.
Wow Time is flying by fast. :eek:

SR
12-24-2007, 03:09 AM
Nice generalisation SR.

So now you don't like me? Thanks a lot. Here I was thinking I had the right to express my opinion, but apparently it just gets me flamed.

No Kap, I don't dislike you, you're one of my favorites and you know that, I'm just using generalizations and stereotypes like you did. Doesn't sit right does it?

Kapaibro
12-24-2007, 03:16 AM
No Kap, I don't dislike you, you're one of my favorites and you know that, I'm just using generalizations and stereotypes like you did. Doesn't sit right does it?

And what about the rest of my post. I notice you completely disregarded that.

But hey, who gives a damn about my opinion these days

SR
12-24-2007, 03:19 AM

Cursing isn't wrong either, per-say. We don't have a lot of young members. We have a handful.

Better?

BroncoBJ
:lol: This forum is a riot.
I think one thing that I love about it is that when someone gives me a salute I can see who it was regaurdless unlike Broncos Country. Whether I get hate mail or love mail I love to see who its from. :salute:

SR
:lol: This forum is a riot.
I think one thing that I love about it is that when someone gives me a salute I can see who it was regaurdless unlike Broncos Country. Whether I get hate mail or love mail I love to see who its from. :salute:

I just gave you a MHS. It was a joke what I said though. Shock value is what I was going for.

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 03:21 AM

When I am working with adults I curse, But I agree with you about not cursing on here. There is something about reading a curse word that makes the poster sound dumb. Also, I wouldn't want my kids on a board where there was excessive profanity.

I think we should be more specific in what curse's we're talking about. Do you feel there should be no cursing at all and words like ass, dumb sh!t, dip Sh!t, Bull Sh!t, crap, douchebag, should not be allowed? Or are you referring to the F word and more serious profanity?

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 03:23 AM
I just gave you a MHS. It was a joke what I said though. Shock value is what I was going for.

It was a joke?
So you really dont love me? :(

:lol:

But yea its good stuff to see who I saluted from. :salute:

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 03:24 AM
When I am working with adults I curse, But I agree with you about not cursing on here. There is something about reading a curse word that makes the poster sound dumb. Also, I wouldn't want my kids on a board where there was excessive profanity.

I think we should be more specific in what curse's we're talking about. Do you feel there should be no cursing at all and words like ass, dumb ****, dip ****, Bull ****, crap, douchebag, should not be allowed? Or are you referring to the F word and more serious profanity?

How about any words you wouldn't say in front of your Grandmother while sitting in Church.

Now I know not everyone goes to Church, but I think you get the point. ;)

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 03:25 AM
My mom babysits kids and I never cuss around them. I also never cuss around family members. I really dont cuss much at all unless I'm watching a sporting event. :lol:

Why do you think I never post in the gameday threads?
I would be banned if I posted during the game.

SR
12-24-2007, 03:25 AM
When I am working with adults I curse, But I agree with you about not cursing on here. There is something about reading a curse word that makes the poster sound dumb.

If you know how a poster is and say, for example, that said poster is exceptionally smart, but drops an f-bomb from time to time, that shouldn't automatically force you to register that poster as dumb. THAT is dumb.

No one is saying that by loosening the restrictions on what curse words we can use that the board is going to be renamed "broncos****ums.com". Curse words are tools in helping people be more expressive, believe it or not.

"For Pete's sake!" doesn't have the same ring as "SON OF A B!TCH!"

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 03:27 AM

So you feel damn should be excepted?

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 03:28 AM
"broncos****ums.com".

:lol: @ that.
I like that name. :salute:

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 03:32 AM
So I guess i am confused....:confused:

Is cursing allowed, or is this a thread about ways to beat the curse filter?? :confused:

SR
12-24-2007, 03:35 AM
How about any words you wouldn't say in front of your Grandmother while sitting in Church.

Now I know not everyone goes to Church, but I think you get the point. ;)

Won't happen because a) not all of us here are driven by a religious compass and b) some of us here (me) are a product of our environment and happen to enjoy using curse words.

Personally, I'm tired of the "PC" world that we're starting to live in. I don't care who I offend or who's feelings I hurt, so long as its no one close to me or any of my friends, but then I know what buttons not to push with them.

My breaking point with political correctness, since this is what this all boils down to while we're talking about kids posting and all, was when I was walking through the mall with my (soon to be ex) wife and my wife said, jokingly of course, "you're out of your fuggin mind" to me. An older man, probably in his 50s or 60s, big ole fat jolly old man that looked like the Peppridge Farm guy, stops my wife and says "ma'am, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use language like that". I got pissed and had a couple of words with the man, said a couple of "last time I checked the Constitution granted me my freedom of speech, not you" type of things, and went on my way. NO ONE, on the internet or otherwise, has the priveledge of giving or taking away my freedoms so long as I am a law abiding citizen.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

claymore
12-24-2007, 03:35 AM

And yet, you are the only one who has cursed at me on this board. Odd.............

SR
12-24-2007, 03:36 AM
So I guess i am confused....:confused:

Is cursing allowed, or is this a thread about ways to beat the curse filter?? :confused:

See: Post #1

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 03:42 AM
Won't happen because a) not all of us here are driven by a religious compass and b) some of us here (me) are a product of our environment and happen to enjoy using curse words.

Personally, I'm tired of the "PC" world that we're starting to live in. I don't care who I offend or who's feelings I hurt, so long as its no one close to me or any of my friends, but then I know what buttons not to push with them.

My breaking point with political correctness, since this is what this all boils down to while we're talking about kids posting and all, was when I was walking through the mall with my (soon to be ex) wife and my wife said, jokingly of course, "you're out of your fuggin mind" to me. An older man, probably in his 50s or 60s, big ole fat jolly old man that looked like the Peppridge Farm guy, stops my wife and says "ma'am, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use language like that". I got pissed and had a couple of words with the man, said a couple of "last time I checked the Constitution granted me my freedom of speech, not you" type of things, and went on my way. NO ONE, on the internet or otherwise, has the priveledge of giving or taking away my freedoms so long as I am a law abiding citizen.
Sorry for the mini-rant.

I didn't mean to make this anything religious, just was making a point. SOmeone asked whats classified curse word or what should not be allowed and a my response was just a simple way of going about it.

Your correct, but places like Message Boards can and are allowed to put rules in place.

The same way posters can say.."if you don't like it then put them on ignore" is the same way another poster or moderator can say .."if you don't like our rules, then you can go to another board".

These boards are a privalege not a right. Rules need to be set in place by the founding fathers/mothers and we need to abide by them. Now, if they take our input like Tned is in this thread and rules change, then so be it. The rules might change and if we all want to be a part of this board, we will all have to abide by them.

Tned
12-24-2007, 03:46 AM

Cursing isn't wrong either, per-say. We don't have a lot of young members. We have a handful.

Better?

Come on guys, please cool it. Have some respect for the process and take the petty arguments to PMs or another thread.

KCL
12-24-2007, 03:46 AM
When I post I use the words ass and crap from time to time.

Not sure if those are curse words.I think theres a big difference

between using those words and some words that are just downright

vulgar.On the Chiefs board that I am a member of (but rarely post there,
I mainly just read) they have no filter at all...the F word is acceptable
there.

IMO we don't need to use harsh words on here.You can get your point

across w/o them...now if you have a dirty joke to tell me with those

words...you can PM me...;)

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 03:56 AM
If you know how a poster is and say, for example, that said poster is exceptionally smart, but drops an f-bomb from time to time, that shouldn't automatically force you to register that poster as dumb. THAT is dumb.

No one is saying that by loosening the restrictions on what curse words we can use that the board is going to be renamed "broncos****ums.com". Curse words are tools in helping people be more expressive, believe it or not.

"For Pete's sake!" doesn't have the same ring as "SON OF A B!TCH!"

I take it you wouldn't mind your kids saying SON OF A B!TCH?

As I said, I curse, My friends curse, However, I don't curse around my kids. I knew a 3 year old kid that was always saying SON OF A B!TCH. It wasn't funny, it was sad!

More times then not when profanity is typed into wards it sounds forced and fake. Profanity doesn't come across well in intelligent conversation. For example, If someone said, President Bush is a dumb F*** the poster don't come across the same as if he said, President Bush is clueless.

I would assume the person saying dumb f*** has no basses as to why they feel that way. On the other hand, I would assume the person saying Clueless has some reason as to why they have come to that conclusion.

Maybe its because the F word is so none definitive. It don't really mean anything, just that the person saying it is displeased with something. If I said, My truck is F***** you have no idea what is wrong with my truck. You could assume I probably don't either. If I said my truck has a blown head casket you would assume I have some knowledge when it comes to mechanics. If I know what the problem is with my truck why would I just say it is f*****?

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 04:15 AM

Sorry for the mini-rant.

This is a privately owned board. Tned is giving us the privilege for our voice to be heard. You and I only have the rights here tned allows us to have. IMO it is great of him to even give us a voice about what we as a community want this board to be. When the rules are set in place everyone here has the right to stop coming here, we don't have the right to force everyone to have to read profanity just because we want to type it.

There is a law about the use of profanity in a public place where minors are present. Wouldn't being a law abiding citizen mean following that law as well?

SR
12-24-2007, 04:19 AM
Either way, the majority of people here seem in favor if lifting some of the restrictive rules on this forum and allowing some posters a little more freedom.

We've had a sudden influx of new members over the past few days and they all come from a website with few restrictions as far as what is said. They're going to want a little more posting freedom as do a lot of us here.

If 2/3 of people want change, there is going to be 1/3 left out. That's how democracy works, and this board is set up like a democracy with tned being the President and the Advisory Board as Congress, except we didn't vote them in.

Change is bound to happen and while you, WTM, Kap, and few others may not like the changes that take place, you can either stay here and post and ignore some of the curse words or whatever, or you can do something to change things back. One way or the other there are going to be changes that not everyone agrees with, but such is life.

claymore
12-24-2007, 04:22 AM
This is a privately owned board. Tned is giving us the privilege for our voice to be heard. You and I only have the rights here tned allows us to have. IMO it is great of him to even give us a voice about what we as a community want this board to be. When the rules are set in place everyone here has the right to stop coming here, we don't have the right to force everyone to have to read profanity just because we want to type it.

There is a law about the use of profanity in a public place where minors are present. Wouldn't being a law abiding citizen mean following that law as well?Where is that law? And does it apply to the internet?

I have no need to swear here. **** gets me any where I need to swear........ On the flip side, If my 10 year old stubbs her toe, and says the F word, can I blame her? A word is a word, and sometimes crap, and jolly ding dong darnit do not correctly articulate your feelings..............

SR
12-24-2007, 04:22 AM

There is a law about the use of profanity in a public place where minors are present. Wouldn't being a law abiding citizen mean following that law as well?

Find me the law. I don't think there is one.

I'm grateful tned gave us the opportunity to post on his site, but in the same I'm not going to post here if posting isn't a joyful experience. I'd imagine it would be the same for everyone else. If reading some curse words is really that big of a deal to you, then I'm really, really sorry.

Kapaibro
12-24-2007, 04:23 AM
There is a difference between being politically correct and being polite.

Sometimes moderating your language is just a matter of consideartion for those around you.

My mother doesn't like to hear me swear, so when I am with her, I tone it down and I don't swear in front of children.

claymore
12-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Either way, the majority of people here seem in favor if lifting some of the restrictive rules on this forum and allowing some posters a little more freedom.

We've had a sudden influx of new members over the past few days and they all come from a website with few restrictions as far as what is said. They're going to want a little more posting freedom as do a lot of us here.

If 2/3 of people want change, there is going to be 1/3 left out. That's how democracy works, and this board is set up like a democracy with tned being the President and the Advisory Board as Congress, except we didn't vote them in.

Change is bound to happen and while you, WTM, Kap, and few others may not like the changes that take place, you can either stay here and post and ignore some of the curse words or whatever, or you can do something to change things back. One way or the other there are going to be changes that not everyone agrees with, but such is life.
Hell yeah, ................:elefant:

claymore
12-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Find me the law.
zactly!

Sometimes moderating your language is just a matter of consideartion for those around you.

My mother doesn't like to hear me swear, so when I am with her, I tone it down and I don't swear in front of children.
You swear more than anyone else here.

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 04:26 AM

Thats pretty much how I am :salute:

Everyones different though I guess.
It doesn't offend me but I know it might offend others which is why I dont do it.

The closest I get to swearing on a forum is either Hell, Damn, WTF, or LMFAO.
Other then that I'm cooo :salute:

SR
12-24-2007, 04:27 AM

I don't swear around my son or around people that are close to me that it bothers, but as far as I'm concerned, no one here is my son or someone that I'm close to.

KCL
12-24-2007, 04:29 AM

SR...Now you and I go back a ways but I am not sure I can agree with you
entirely about all this.Yes everyone gets the chance to voice their
opinions,but are you trying to tell us that people will leave if they are not allowed to use the F word? Am I understanding this right?:confused:

You do realize that that word can and could be used in different ways.As in describing something or someone.Now I for one wouldnt like it if someone disagreed with me and told me to shut the F up.

Where do you draw the lline and how do you determine when the word is ok to use and not ok to use.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you but are you wanting people to be able to
post the F word on here?

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 04:31 AM
When I post I use the words ass and crap from time to time.

Not sure if those are curse words.I think theres a big difference

between using those words and some words that are just downright

vulgar.On the Chiefs board that I am a member of (but rarely post there,
I mainly just read) they have no filter at all...the F word is acceptable
there.

IMO we don't need to use harsh words on here.You can get your point

across w/o them...now if you have a dirty joke to tell me with those

words...you can PM me...;)

spoken like a proud parent! :salute:

I don't see anything wrong with ass and crap either. I don't post ass much however. I thought the filter would catch it :)

Maybe we should have a forum for nothing but profanity, that way when members get the uncontrollable urge they can type out a bunch of curse words then get out. We could call it the trailer park forum :D

That would be pretty funny, like Robin Williams wife in that one movie who had turrets. I forget the name of the movie but it was pretty funny, she would just yell out a bunch of profanity at the worst possible times.

SR
12-24-2007, 04:34 AM
SR...Now you and I go back a ways but I am not sure I can agree with you
entirely about all this.Yes everyone gets the chance to voice their
opinions,but are you trying to tell us that people will leave if they are not allowed to use the F word? Am I understanding this right?:confused:

You do realize that that word can and could be used in different ways.As in describing something or someone.Now I for one wouldnt like it if someone disagreed with me and told me to shut the F up.

Where do you draw the lline and how do you determine when the word is ok to use and not ok to use.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you but are you wanting people to be able to
post the F word on here?

That's not what I'm saying at all.

If a line were to be drawn, as long as people aren't swearing at eachother, I have no problems. The minute it becomes insulting or aimed at a person, I don't like it.

SR
12-24-2007, 04:36 AM
spoken like a proud parent! :salute:

I don't see anything wrong with ass and crap either. I don't post ass much however. I thought the filter would catch it :)

Maybe we should have a forum for nothing but profanity, that way when members get the uncontrollable urge they can type out a bunch of curse words then get out. We could call it the trailer park forum :D

That would be pretty funny, like Robin Williams wife in that one movie who had turrets. I forget the name of the movie but it was pretty funny, she would just hell out a bunch of profanity at the worst possible times.

So now people who curse a lot are trailer trash? Nice. You're on a roll.

God forbid people start cursing, but it's ok if we call people trailer trash. Whew. I'm relieved.

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 04:37 AM
:lol: I'm all for a cussing forum to let off steam.
Trailertrash FTW :salute:

SR
12-24-2007, 04:38 AM
:lol: I'm all for a cussing forum to let off steam.
Trailertrash FTW :salute:

Call someone trailer trash in the town I live in and you're liable to get shot.

KCL
12-24-2007, 04:39 AM
That's not what I'm saying at all.

If a line were to be drawn, as long as people aren't swearing at eachother, I have no problems. The minute it becomes insulting or aimed at a person, I don't like it.

now right off the bat...you KNOW that in P and R....it would be used all the time. I am not in agreement that it should be allowed.

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Call someone trailer trash in the town I live in and you're liable to get shot.

:lol: Actually I've never said Trailertrash in my life until now. I wouldn't just randomly go around calling people that.

Its just a new word that I added to my vocab. :salute:

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 04:41 AM
I don't swear around my son or around people that are close to me that it bothers, but as far as I'm concerned, no one here is my son or someone that I'm close to.

But the members here are someone else's son and someone cares about them regardless if you do or not. That is the point, it is a public forum not just about you and who you care about. Are you saying no one else's kids should be given the same respect as you want your kids to have?

SR
12-24-2007, 04:47 AM
BTW, I'm still waiting for this imaginary law that you so swear by.

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 04:48 AM
So now people who curse a lot are trailer trash? Nice. You're on a roll.

God forbid people start cursing, but it's ok if we call people trailer trash. Whew. I'm relieved.

Who did I call trailer trash? would you have been offended if I said Sailor's club? Are you offended that profanity is commonly placed in trailer parks?

SR
12-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Jesus Christ...I can't post in this thread with people like you.

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 04:49 AM
K, We've been talking about language for a while now.
Lets focus on the nudity part of things. :salute:

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 04:56 AM
K I have a question now:

I use this sig on another forum:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/K-Train89/broncos200x.gif

I posted the link because I dont know if its apropriate for this forum or not.
I, myself like the sig but was wondering if it would be acceptable to use on this site?

So click on the link and lets see if I can use that sig or not. :salute:
I dont know if its bad or not. :lol:

Tned
12-24-2007, 05:00 AM
K I have a question now:

I, myself like the sig but was wondering if it would be acceptable to use on this site?

While I am trying to reserve my opinions, because I feel other people's opinions far more important than mine for the benefit of the community, I will chime in on this.

That is probably a problem because of the depiction of a sexual act. Legally, it is probably borderline, in all reality. The famouse sponge/car wash scene in desperate housewives is almost as bad, but because of where her hand is and the implied sexual act, I personally want no part of it when my name is on the domain registration and server lease.

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 05:02 AM
While I am trying to reserve my opinions, because I feel other people's opinions far more important than mine for the benefit of the community, I will chime in on this.

That is probably a problem because of the depiction of a sexual act. Legally, it is probably borderline, in all reality. The famouse sponge/car wash scene in desperate housewives is almost as bad, but because of where her hand is and the implied sexual act, I personally want no part of it when my name is on the domain registration and server lease.

Yea thats what I was afraid of. Because of how she was acting.
Maybe I can have the person who made me that sig make a different one of a girl but without the sexual stuff. :lol:

Mike
12-24-2007, 05:02 AM
Good input in here. Keep it coming.

JC4MVP send a PM to TXBRONC and request the board advisors to give their input on the sig.

Kapaibro
12-24-2007, 05:03 AM
K I have a question now:

As a female forum member, I'd be completely disgusted to have to look at that.

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 05:05 AM
BTW, I'm still waiting for this imaginary law that you so swear by.

The law's very from State to State but every State has a public conduct ordinance that covers profanity and nudity in public establishments. The laws aren't there to take away anyone's freedom, they are there to protect the freedom of those who don't want themselves or there children subject to unapropiate behavior. The law that says one can't be intoxicated in public is part of the public conduct ordinance.

I don't swear by the law, even if there wasn't a law, it wouldn't change my opinion about using profanity while in the presence of minors. For me its a moral issue, why would I subject someone else's children to something I don't want my kids subject too?

claymore
12-24-2007, 05:06 AM
As a female forum member, I'd be completely disgusted to have to look at that.
That is a good sig, and the female in question is smoking hot.

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 05:12 AM
K I have a question now:

LOL,

Are you kidding? :D Tned would need an adults only board if we could use sigs like that.

Kapaibro
12-24-2007, 05:14 AM
That is a good sig, and the female in question is smoking hot.

Hot she may be, but she is behaving in a slutty fashion, and I don't want to see it.

claymore
12-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Hot she may be, but she is behaving in a slutty fashion, and I don't want to see it.She is at that! Just busting some nuggets....... I myself hate seeing that stuff at work......... Cause everyone gets nosey.............

BroncoBJ
12-24-2007, 05:38 AM
:lol: Yea I wont use that as my sig because no matter what there will always be some people upset. Thats why I posted the link incase you didn't want to see it then you didn't have to view it. I was trying to be nice. :salute:

I'll try to find a clean sig to use where the girl is washing dishes or baking cookies instead of the sick perverted one that I had. :salute:

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 02:30 PM
:lol: Yea I wont use that as my sig because no matter what there will always be some people upset. Thats why I posted the link incase you didn't want to see it then you didn't have to view it. I was trying to be nice. :salute:

I'll try to find a clean sig to use where the girl is washing dishes or baking cookies instead of the sick perverted one that I had.

Ouch! :eek:

I bet that pissed a few people off! :mad:

LOL

SR
12-24-2007, 03:02 PM
The law's very from State to State but every State has a public conduct ordinance that covers profanity and nudity in public establishments. The laws aren't there to take away anyone's freedom, they are there to protect the freedom of those who don't want themselves or there children subject to unapropiate behavior. The law that says one can't be intoxicated in public is part of the public conduct ordinance.

I don't swear by the law, even if there wasn't a law, it wouldn't change my opinion about using profanity while in the presence of minors. For me its a moral issue, why would I subject someone else's children to something I don't want my kids subject too?

You referenced a law censoring the internet. Show me that law. All that crap you said in the above post has no relevance to the internet at all.

LordTrychon
12-24-2007, 04:07 PM
If we are going to make a no profanity rule it should be enforced to the point you could get banned for it. If a member can't get banned for braking a rule the rule needs to be dumped!

This is a great post... I know it was from 8 pages ago, but I wanted to bring this back up.

Whatever ends up being decided regarding the rules, keep in mind that eventually need to be enforced. I'm not saying that it should be strict or not very strict or anything... but that anything that can be an offense can eventually be a bannable offense.

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 04:35 PM
You referenced a law censoring the internet. Show me that law. All that crap you said in the above post has no relevance to the internet at all.

Where did I refer to a law on the Internet? My comment about the law was directed towards your comments about what your wife said in the mall.

However, I believe the FCC has rules about nudity and profanity that also cover the Internet. Tned would be the one to answer this one. I'm sure he has looked into it further then I beings he owns the domain name.

The point is irrelevant anyways, Tned is not going to allaw nudity & serious profanity here if minors can view these boards, even if there isn't a law regarding the Internet.

I'm sure he respects your opinion but his name is on the dotted line. I trust the advisory board but even if they voted to allow everything under the sun he still has to answer for everything that goes on here ;)

lex
12-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok, we are a few days short of our four month anniversary and it’s time to take another look at our rules and guidelines. Initially, we put our rules together in a rather hurried fashion, and ‘borrowed’ bits and pieces from several other online communities to give us a starting point.

Now that we have all had three or four months to see how things are going, we would like some feedback. The advisory board can't guarantee that all feedback will be implemented, but it will all be listened to and considered. The importance of discussion like this is for the advisory board to see where the community stands, and if there are areas where it is clear that most members feel a change should take place, then we will strongly consider such a change.

First, let’s set some ground rules:

This is not a chance to pile on the moderators. They have a tough job, and are attempting to enforce the rules that are in place.

Blame the system, not the people. If our rules are too strict, let’s focus on that, because the moderators are expected to enforce the rules in place, whether they like or agree with them.

Back to what we need to accomplish. This is an open discussion. This means we aren’t voting, we aren’t asking for yes/no responses, we are looking for feedback. What’s working well, what would you like to see different. In addition, while we have yet needed to ban any members, that time will come. We need input from you on the process you would like us to follow. So, with all of that said, here are some of the topics we would like feedback on, but feel free to cover any other rules/moderation/banning topics you feel we need to discuss.

Rules in general:

Moderation:
Realize that the moderation is tied very directly to the rules, and that changing the rules will have the knock on effect of changing how moderation is done.

Do you feel we are hitting the mark in our moderation (general threads, game day threads, etc.) or are we too strict or too lenient in our moderation?
Again, respecting the hard work of our volunteer moderation staff, are we hitting the mark with our moderation, and how can we get better?

Banning:

Infraction Point System:

Im a big advocate of Jessica Alba pole-dancing in sigs.

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 04:58 PM
This is a great post... I know it was from 8 pages ago, but I wanted to bring this back up.

Whatever ends up being decided regarding the rules, keep in mind that eventually need to be enforced. I'm not saying that it should be strict or not very strict or anything... but that anything that can be an offense can eventually be a bannable offense.

If there is no consequences for members offenses then there is nothing to stop anyone from repeating the offense.

All that will lead to is more work by the mods, continually editing the same members post's over and over.

Lets not forget the mods work for free. IMO we need to make the rules as clear as possible for both the members and mods. Opinions very and when your dealing with gray area people could feel there is favoritism when there post gets edited and they see another they perceive to be the same get left alone.

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 06:54 PM
If there is no consequences for members offenses then there is nothing to stop anyone from repeating the offense.

All that will lead to is more work by the mods, continually editing the same members post's over and over.

Lets not forget the mods work for free. IMO we need to make the rules as clear as possible for both the members and mods. Opinions very and when your dealing with gray area people could feel there is favoritism when there post gets edited and they see another they perceive to be the same get left alone.

Both you and LT make a great point. If there is a rule of no profanity then it needs to be enforced as does all ruled. Editing a post by a mod does not enforce anything. Its not even a slap on the hand. I could see editing it once, then giving a warning. Editing it twice then a day ban...and so on. There is no point to continuesly edit posts if there is no follow up punishment.

haroldthebarrel
12-24-2007, 07:00 PM
I havent read the thread so if I repeat something, please excuse me.

personally I think it is hopeless to create a "family friendly" ideal.
let the people act as they normally do in real life with the mild swearing and stuff.
In real life we dont attack eachother personally and that is the real problem. That and of course nude pics.
I am a former member of broncosfreak and there they tried to maintain that family friendly stuff, and the whole issue is almost deemed to fail as mods and people have different opinions to what is FF. And if one mod is more constrained or conservative than others, eventually it creates a huge difference of opinion not to say people will feel mistreated.
Thus, when you do start banning, the parameters have been set, and to maintain some sort of justice you will eventually have to ban or warn members set by the least standards you choose. That usually means that it will only get stricter and stricter which in the end destroys the board, at least to me and a lot of others.
I had nearly left broncosfreak before this new things happened because of what I said earlier. The fun went astray, as well as cool members became banned one after another.

let the members moderate themselves as much as possible is my suggestion and tell people to get a thick skin. Some time or another almost every member will have a meltdown anyway, but that is just normal. We usually make up ourselves in the end.

But if you do choose to ban members, I think it is imperative to have some sort of thread where others get to see that the member is banned, with a little explanation to why.

MOtorboat
12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
But if you do choose to ban members, I think it is imperative to have some sort of thread where others get to see that the member is banned, with a little explanation to why.

Here, here....You've GOT to explain to other members what happened, otherwise they will get pissy.

LordTrychon
12-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Both you and LT make a great point. If there is a rule of no profanity then it needs to be enforced as does all ruled. Editing a post by a mod does not enforce anything. Its not even a slap on the hand. I could see editing it once, then giving a warning. Editing it twice then a day ban...and so on. There is no point to continuesly edit posts if there is no follow up punishment.

Believe it or not, that's considerably more hardline than I would've suggested. lol.

As language is a more minor offense, IMO... having to edit here and there is not a big deal. The only time I'd ban someone after just a few offenses was if it was obvious they were doing it despite just being previously warned... kinda just to spite the mod... catch what I mean?

Then if it becomes obvious that it's repetitive, and you're warning that member on a somewhat regular basis... then you tell them they need a day off to think about if they want to post withing the guidelines of the forums.

haroldthebarrel
12-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Here, here....You've GOT to explain to other members what happened, otherwise they will get pissy.

yeah really. it is so confusing when somebody is banned and nobody knows why. Then as you say they get pissy, as well as one get a lot of others asking why.

Personally, I used to have a principle that i shouldnt ignore anybody. When I started doing that I never looked back. Saved a lot of aggravation that way, as well as a lot of threads got a lot easier to read.
The ignore button is a great thing. I only wish more people would use it when they get into an online fight with another. It is so annoying to see a thread with an interesting title and lots of posts only to discover it is full of somebody flaming and arguing. The persons who really suffers are all those who are not into the arguments.

I will say that if it was up to me and I was the leader of some kind of message board, I wouldnt give a rats ass about swearing.... even the f word. People use that all the time in RL so why be double standard. There are other things that are a lot more severe to the structure of a board.

LordTrychon
12-24-2007, 07:12 PM

Is that the way it was on the freak?

Obviously we have a new issue to discuss...

Should bannings be public knowledge or not?

MOtorboat
12-24-2007, 07:13 PM
I just joined. I respect that I don't have as much clout as most of the members who have been here since the inception, but banning members for using curse words, which I imagine are already censored is a little much.

No offense to anyone, but this IS a football forum. They are words. I understand if someone insults someone, but if I drop a random S-Bomb, or even an F-Bomb, I don't think I should get a ban, no matter the circumstances, unless it is insulting someone.

MOtorboat
12-24-2007, 07:14 PM

No, they weren't public, and I think it caused a lot of dissent among the members, especially those of us who are around a lot.

LordTrychon
12-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I just joined. I respect that I don't have as much clout as most of the members who have been here since the inception, but banning members for using curse words, which I imagine are already censored is a little much.

No offense to anyone, but this IS a football forum. They are words. I understand if someone insults someone, but if I drop a random S-Bomb, or even an F-Bomb, I don't think I should get a ban, no matter the circumstances, unless it is insulting someone.

Your voice is just as important as anyone else here, save Tned as 'owner'. Fortunately for everyone, he's willing to defer almost all that power.

Again... I only think someone should be banned for it if they just flat out won't listen when they're asked to stop breaking the rules.

Any rule that's in place has to be enforced somehow. Especially if it's being broken repeatedly. If you read my post, I'm in no way saying someone should be permabanned for dropping their first Fbomb.

If you don't think there should be a rule against language... that's different... but there's no point in saying... here's the rule, but nothing will happen if you break it as much as you'd like.

LordTrychon
12-24-2007, 07:31 PM
No, they weren't public, and I think it caused a lot of dissent among the members, especially those of us who are around a lot.

Were bannings frequent there?

On Mania, where many of the posters here used to do the majority of their posting, bannings weren't discussed openly.

The idea is that if I were to mess up badly, and I was disciplined... the public knowledge could be humiliating to me. It was always kept between the member and the mods, unless the member felt like discussing it.

I've heard of other boards making it public knowledge... and even with great success... but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I think it's interesting to think about though.

haroldthebarrel
12-24-2007, 07:33 PM

The tried to do that in the end, but by then the dissent and sour millieu was kind of overwhelming so it was too late.
Besides, the one mod who actually took upon himself to make that thread for some reason deleted his whole profile not too long ago.

It is good to do that for alot of reasons. One, it stops the rumours, and secondly it sets the parameters to other members what they can and cannot do.
it sends a clear message to all others and thus might be very preemptive. (imho).

LordTrychon
12-24-2007, 07:38 PM
The tried to do that in the end, but by then the dissent and sour millieu was kind of overwhelming so it was too late.
Besides, the one mod who actually took upon himself to make that thread for some reason deleted his whole profile not too long ago.

It is good to do that for alot of reasons. One, it stops the rumours, and secondly it sets the parameters to other members what they can and cannot do.
it sends a clear message to all others and thus might be very preemptive. (imho).

Understandable.

Right now, this doesn't jive with one of the rules in play... which is that moderators actions cannot be discussed publically. I think that rule is a bad idea and unhealthy for the forums, but I've already said my piece on it once or twice before... and nobody really seemed to want to discuss it.

Maybe now they will... I don't know.

MOtorboat
12-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Were bannings frequent there?

On Mania, where many of the posters here used to do the majority of their posting, bannings weren't discussed openly.

The idea is that if I were to mess up badly, and I was disciplined... the public knowledge could be humiliating to me. It was always kept between the member and the mods, unless the member felt like discussing it.

I've heard of other boards making it public knowledge... and even with great success... but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I think it's interesting to think about though.

It's not that they were frequent, its that there was no REASON given for bannings. No reason at all, ever. Just vague references to rules. That's my only beef with the Freak, and I never even got banned. I want to know what they said to who, so that I won't do it. I also want that because I want to make sure I think it's a bannable offense and not just a mod upset because he doesn't agree, which did happen.

Retired_Member_001
12-24-2007, 07:43 PM

In my opinion proper swear words (the kind you don't find in the dictionary) should be filtered. I also think a poster should be warned for writing things like sh!t, the filter is there for a reason.

Anything else should be allowed, minus calling someone a B****** or a B****. That would obviously be offensive.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3166/ffdffcbd2.png

That's my answer, :D .

As long as it isn't nudity, or clevage clutching then it's fine in my opinion.

Well I think you are going to have to monitor how deep these personal attacks are. If it gets too extreme and it turns more into a poster V poster thread then it should be locked. However I think the Duck Before Entering forum should be pretty loose.

Banning:

I think a warning should always be given unless you get someone who does something obviously against the rules, such as post nudity. There should be a first warning that lasts a month or two and then that warning should be dropped. The warning should appear in their control panel, that way people don't have the " But I forgot/ didn't see the warning" excuse.

Infraction Point System:

I think a warning is enough.

Just my opinion.

fcspikeit
12-24-2007, 07:44 PM
I havent read the thread so if I repeat something, please excuse me.

personally I think it is hopeless to create a "family friendly" ideal.
let the people act as they normally do in real life with the mild swearing and stuff.
In real life we dont attack eachother personally and that is the real problem. That and of course nude pics.
I am a former member of broncosfreak and there they tried to maintain that family friendly stuff, and the whole issue is almost deemed to fail as mods and people have different opinions to what is FF. And if one mod is more constrained or conservative than others, eventually it creates a huge difference of opinion not to say people will feel mistreated.
Thus, when you do start banning, the parameters have been set, and to maintain some sort of justice you will eventually have to ban or warn members set by the least standards you choose. That usually means that it will only get stricter and stricter which in the end destroys the board, at least to me and a lot of others.
I had nearly left broncosfreak before this new things happened because of what I said earlier. The fun went astray, as well as cool members became banned one after another.

let the members moderate themselves as much as possible is my suggestion and tell people to get a thick skin. Some time or another almost every member will have a meltdown anyway, but that is just normal. We usually make up ourselves in the end.

No matter where the line is drawn people will push it, its human nature. The problem you present will always be present when you have other members deciding what is acceptable and what is crossing the line. Therefore, no matter the allowance of profanity. It will not solve this problem.

There are also many here that feel the allowance of extreme profanity will destroy the board. There is no way to make everyone happy. Maybe the best thing to do is to open an adults only forum where those who don't mind extreme profanity can post there. One of my biggest fears is that if we allow more profanity it will result in more smack and more people getting banned.

I am not talking about the smack forum, anyone who post's there should know they will probably get smacked. If they can't take it then my advice to them is, don't post there!

I think this is a great idea, If members can see why someone got banned then it will help them better understand what is acceptable and what is crossing the line. I also think all permanent banning's should come by majority vote from the advisory board. That will help over come each adviser's varying individual opinion. It will be the voice of the group that matters most.

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 07:44 PM
For a member that was banned many times on Mania for numerous reasons...and finally perminantly, I always felt it was a good idea for it to be openly discussed on why someone was banned. And this is from someone who was banned.

Its my honest opinion that the reason Mods don't want it discussed is that its not because they fear it will humiliate the member being banned, its because they fear it will bring humiliation on them as Mods.

It could go both ways, but I feel its more to protect the mods and backlash for banning someone for petty reasons more so then to protect the member.

:2cents:

Retired_Member_001
12-24-2007, 07:47 PM
And if one mod is more constrained or conservative than others, eventually it creates a huge difference of opinion not to say people will feel mistreated

Actually this is a good point.

Mods should have a strick rulebook they follow when it comes to warning/ banning posters.

One mod could find one thing fun and the other mod find same thing wrong.

Bronco9798
12-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I was banned 4 times at the Freak. It never bothered me. Sit in the penalty box and wait for your day to come out. But the MODS at the freak were stupid, except TurfToad.

haroldthebarrel
12-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I was banned 4 times at the Freak. It never bothered me. Sit in the penalty box and wait for your day to come out. But the MODS at the freak were stupid, except TurfToad.

yeah but you are a lot more grown up on those things than others.
Remember the thousands of annoying threads eventually becoming one banned members rant to why he was banned.

I never did have any problems with the mods at the freak. I did think Harkov was a bit double standard and that Ricky was a moralist(which i hate) even though he meant well. Still, I didnt have any personal beef with any of those.
but canucks rants whenever he got emotional, which happened a lot, was always hilarious.

Bronco9798
12-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Me and Beef got banned for laughing about a newspaper article that someone posted and it was one of the MODS Friends. The dude got struck by lightning and died on a roof. We made a few funny comments and got banned. So we sent the MOD some flowers to his house. It was Derek.

haroldthebarrel
12-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Me and Beef got banned for laughing about a newspaper article that someone posted and it was one of the MODS Friends. The dude got struck by lightning and died on a roof. We made a few funny comments and got banned. So we sent the MOD some flowers to his house. It was Derek.

Yeah. that was a really cool thing to do. I feel kinda bad for Derek since he meant well, but the layout and look of the new site kinda turned me off.

Then again, I dont think this is a thread we should hijack already...... lol

back on topic.... i always thought if you have rules you should stand by them and make sanctions to any infractions. Since that is not possible, the best way is to have it loose, because people mend themselves usually.

topscribe
12-25-2007, 01:03 AM

I don't believe some of you yet know the concept of what is going on
around here.

What you said about the posters having rights only as Tned gives them was
true up until he gave his word otherwise. At that point, he handed the
power over to the Board of Advisors, which he, Carol, and I helped to
create. This is a group of seven posters who represent you, the general
posters, which is why the Town Hall forum and this thread exists at all.

Tned's most prized possession is his word. I honestly believe he would die
before he broke it. Therefore, you have rights on this message board
because it is "For The Fans, By The Fans" (see the Broncos Forums banner).

To make it more clear, Tned cut his power to where he has only one (1)
vote among seven on the Advisory Board. The only time he would usurp
that power is if something posed a legal threat to the Board or to him.

Tned even subjects himself to the Mods as a poster on the boards.

So you can be assured that what you are saying here in this thread and
elsewhere in the Town Hall forum is contributing to the government of
Broncos Forums.

EDIT: You will be relieved to know that I am NOT a voting member on the
Board of Advisors. :lol:

Oh, and neither are any of the other Mods, BTW.

-----

fcspikeit
12-25-2007, 02:50 AM
I don't believe some of you yet know the concept of what is going on
around here.

What you said about the posters having rights only as Tned gives them was
true up until he gave his word otherwise. At that point, he handed the
power over to the Board of Advisors, which he, Carol, and I helped to
create. This is a group of seven posters who represent you, the general
posters, which is why the Town Hall forum and this thread exists at all.

-----

All is true because Tned said so, As he has the power to run the board as he sees fit because it is his privately owned board.

My point is that, the only freedom here is given, therefore no freedom really exists. It is a privilege for us to be able to post here, not a right! When the rules are set we only have freedom to post inside the guidelines of the rules.

Therefore our first amendment rights don't apply here. This board is the property of Tned. He has the right to do as he pleases with his property. We don't have the right to destroy his property by braking the rules. If at any time we brake the rules set forth by Tned (no matter the method he used to create them) he has the right to take away our privileges.

He must be accountable, because if action were brought against this domain name the action would be against him. It wouldn't matter whet method he used to determine what is allowed here. He would be at fault :salute:

So yeah, I know the concept of what is going on around here :beer:

topscribe
12-25-2007, 03:07 AM
All is true because Tned said so, As he has the power to run the board as he sees fit because it is his privately owned board.

My point is that, the only freedom here is given, therefore no freedom really exists. It is a privilege for us to be able to post here, not a right! When the rules are set we only have freedom to post inside the guidelines of the rules.

Therefore our first amendment rights don't apply here. This board is the property of Tned. He has the right to do as he pleases with his property. We don't have the right to destroy his property by braking the rules. If at any time we brake the rules set forth by Tned (no matter the method he used to create them) he has the right to take away our privileges.

He must be accountable, because if action were brought against this domain name the action would be against him. It wouldn't matter whet method he used to determine what is allowed here. He would be at fault :salute:

So yeah, I know the concept of what is going on around here :beer:

Once again, you could not be more wrong than you are here. Tned gave up
the right to take anything away by himself. He does not have the right to
do as he pleases because he denied himself the right and gave his word.

He did not set forth the rules, and he will not be revising them. The Advisory
Board set forth the rules, and it will be the Advisory Board that will revise
them. Tned's power is limited to 1/7 of the Advisory Board . . . that's all.
I know. I was here in the beginning, before there was a message board.
I helped to create it and the Advisory Board.

I already said the ONLY circumstance in which he would make an exception
to this is if he or the message board was faced with legal repercussions.
That's it.

This is very important to understand. The power base to Broncos Forums is
the Advisory Board. The Advisory Board is made up of posters . . . regular
posters . . . who represent YOU, the posters on this message board. This
means a couple things to you:

1. The comments you make in this Town Hall forum and this thread help to
shape the government and create, revise, and remove rules.

2. Posters who disagree with a Mod's action with them have a place to go
to appeal that action . . . to other posters just like them. (As I said, the
Mods are not voting members of the Advisory Board.)

It is very, very important . . . critical . . . that this is understood because
you cannot experience this type of peace of mind and assurance unless you
know you have it and you exercise your rights here.

I hope I made myself clear this time because this is the way it is.

-----

BroncoBJ
12-25-2007, 03:16 AM
I think that Topscribe should just run this whole forum :salute:
Thats my newest suggestion

Watchthemiddle
12-25-2007, 03:19 AM
I think that Topscribe should just run this whole forum :salute:
Thats my newest suggestion

What happened to your man crush on Tned??? :laugh:

BroncoBJ
12-25-2007, 03:20 AM
What happened to your man crush on Tned??? :laugh:

It might slowly be moving on to Topscribe. :lol:

Watchthemiddle
12-25-2007, 03:21 AM
It might slowly be moving on to Topscribe. :lol:

At Tops age, you can move pretty slow....:laugh::laugh:

BroncoBJ
12-25-2007, 03:23 AM
:lol: ^ but naw Tned will always be the man.
He cant get off the hook that easily. :fight:

fcspikeit
12-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Once again, you could not be more wrong than you are here. Tned gave up
the right to take anything away by himself. He does not have the right to
do as he pleases because he denied himself the right and gave his word.

He did not set forth the rules, and he will not be revising them. The Advisory
Board set forth the rules, and it will be the Advisory Board that will revise
them. Tned's power is limited to 1/7 of the Advisory Board . . . that's all.
I know. I was here in the beginning, before there was a message board.
I helped to create it and the Advisory Board.

I already said the ONLY circumstance in which he would make an exception
to this is if he or the message board was faced with legal repercussions.
That's it.

This is very important to understand. The power base to Broncos Forums is
the Advisory Board. The Advisory Board is made up of posters . . . regular
posters . . . who represent YOU, the posters on this message board. This
means a couple things to you:

1. The comments you make in this Town Hall forum and this thread help to
shape the government and create, revise, and remove rules.

2. Posters who disagree with a Mod's action with them have a place to go
to appeal that action . . . to other posters just like them. (As I said, the
Mods are not voting members of the Advisory Board.)

It is very, very important . . . critical . . . that this is understood because
you cannot experience this type of peace of mind and assurance unless you
know you have it and you exercise your rights here.

I hope I made myself clear this time because this is the way it is.

-----

Top, I know what your saying,

But your missing my point. No one gave us our constitutional rights. We received them at birth. If one person owns something he has the right to give the power to whom ever he sees fit because he is the owner. Do you think those who have been "given" the power now have a right? NO! Beings they were "given" the power they have a privilege.

They didn't earn or buy the power so it is only theirs because the person with the power gave it to them. Therefore it could be taken away and gave to someone else. Rights can't be taken away!

Do we have the right to drive or is it a privilege? Do we have the right to hunt or is it a privilege? Both can be taken away therefore no right actualy exists. I don't agree with it but with the power we gave our lower none constitutional courts, we exchanged our rights for privileges.

I'm not sure this is important to the discussion here? The main thing members need to know is that, the way Tned wants this set up is that we the members have a voice in the way things are done here. So yes every voice counts, because the only person with a "right" here said so.

If Tned felt those in charge of deciding who gets what they want were not representing this board in the way he sees fit, then he will take their power away and give it to someone who he believes will do a better job. As he has the "right" to do. :beer:

topscribe
12-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Top, I know what your saying,

But your missing my point. No one gave us our constitutional rights. We received them at birth. If one person owns something he has the right to give the power to whom ever he sees fit because he is the owner. Do you think those who have been "given" the power now have a right? NO! Beings they were "given" the power they have a privilege.

They didn't earn or buy the power so it is only theirs because the person with the power gave it to them. Therefore it could be taken away and gave to someone else. Rights can't be taken away!

Do we have the right to drive or is it a privilege? Do we have the right to hunt or is it a privilege? Both can be taken away therefore no right actualy exists. I don't agree with it but with the power we gave our lower none constitutional courts, we exchanged our rights for privileges.

I'm not sure this is important to the discussion here? The main thing members need to know is that, the way Tned wants this set up is that we the members have a voice in the way things are done here. So yes every voice counts, because the only person with a "right" here said so.

If Tned felt those in charge of deciding who gets what they want were not representing this board in the way he sees fit, then he will take their power away and give it to someone who he believes will do a better job. As he has the "right" to do. :beer:

I'm very interested in political philosophy . . . but not here.

I just want the members to know what the situation is on this board. And
what you are implying (not intentionally, I'm sure) is that Tned is dishonest
enough to break his word. Trust me: He is not. Believe me, everything has
not gone the way he would like. But he gave the Advisory Board the power,
and they will have the power from here on out.

What that means to us, the members, is that we have a VOICE in what
transpires here, regarding rules and regulations and environment . . . you,
the regular members even more than we, the Mods, in fact.

But this thread is getting side-tracked with this discussion. Let's turn
it back to feedback on rules, moderation, banning procedures, and
whatever else you members can think of to help the Advisory Board
with their decisions.

:focus:

-----

LordTrychon
12-25-2007, 02:13 PM
For a member that was banned many times on Mania for numerous reasons...and finally perminantly, I always felt it was a good idea for it to be openly discussed on why someone was banned. And this is from someone who was banned.

Its my honest opinion that the reason Mods don't want it discussed is that its not because they fear it will humiliate the member being banned, its because they fear it will bring humiliation on them as Mods.

It could go both ways, but I feel its more to protect the mods and backlash for banning someone for petty reasons more so then to protect the member.

:2cents:

Great input, WTM...

But there was never a rule against you discussing it when you returned. If I remember right, you often did. Under that kind of rule set, often it IS the mods who get ridiculed because they will allow you (not specifically, mind you) to tell your side of the story without backing up theirs, provided you don't start flat out telling lies about them or completely embellishing. i.e. "I didn't do anything at all. I got a nasty PM from that LT guy and he said if I didn't stop posting, he'd ban me. I think he got in trouble for it, cause I'm back!"

Believe me, it would be much easier at times and it's often tempting to tell what happened. I haven't banned many regular members on mania other than spammers... but the few times I can think of off the top of my head were often because they couldn't take a simple warning and decided to cuss me out in a PM. I think most members of that board wouldn't hold it against me if I came out publically with the whole story, but the regulations there prohibit me from doing so.

I don't mind that at all... it's what I'm used to there... but believe me... I've taken more lumps for it.

Edit: Merry Christmas!

SR
12-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Often times, and maybe LT will back me as this as we are both mods on other sites, feedback from situations like that often times helps moderators be better at what they do. Constructive critisizm is always welcome as far as I'm concerned.

haroldthebarrel
12-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Great input, WTM...

But there was never a rule against you discussing it when you returned. If I remember right, you often did. Under that kind of rule set, often it IS the mods who get ridiculed because they will allow you (not specifically, mind you) to tell your side of the story without backing up theirs, provided you don't start flat out telling lies about them or completely embellishing. i.e. "I didn't do anything at all. I got a nasty PM from that LT guy and he said if I didn't stop posting, he'd ban me. I think he got in trouble for it, cause I'm back!"

Believe me, it would be much easier at times and it's often tempting to tell what happened. I haven't banned many regular members on mania other than spammers... but the few times I can think of off the top of my head were often because they couldn't take a simple warning and decided to cuss me out in a PM. I think most members of that board wouldn't hold it against me if I came out publically with the whole story, but the regulations there prohibit me from doing so.

I don't mind that at all... it's what I'm used to there... but believe me... I've taken more lumps for it.

My point wasnt that you needed to tell the whole story. Just that the person is banned and a short explanation why.
Believe me, nothing is more annoying than a bunch of threads turning into rumour speculation how come this or that was banned.

LordTrychon
12-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Often times, and maybe LT will back me as this as we are both mods on other sites, feedback from situations like that often times helps moderators be better at what they do. Constructive critisizm is always welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, absolutely! Constructive is a key word there... but I love good discussion. The fact that such discussion here can directly affect policy is great, and why I come here.

My point wasnt that you needed to tell the whole story. Just that the person is banned and a short explanation why.
Believe me, nothing is more annoying than a bunch of threads turning into rumour speculation how come this or that was banned.

It's more of a headache to the moderators than the members, from my perspective... and always considered dealing with that particular headache as just something that I did because it was good for the community.

Now's the time to decide whether or not that's what's good for this particular community.

topscribe
12-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Great input, WTM...

Thank you for that. As a Mod, I am not against publicly announcing a ban,
and I am not against publicly discussing a Mod. I feel that if I conduct my
job to the best of my ability, honestly and fairly, then I should not be afraid
of public scrutiny. I don't mean a poster's hijacking a thread by flying off
and flaming a Mod (or anybody, for that matter). But the Town Hall forum
should be open to such discussions, as well as the other matters here.

IMHO.

NOTE: Of course, there is one difference here: A Mod cannot put a ban on
a poster. The Mod can only submit that poster to the Advisory Board, who
in turn decides whether to ban/suspend and how long it will be. I believe
that serves as an assurance to the members here that such an action
would be less arbitrary that it might at the hands of one individual in the
heat of the moment. (As Senior Mod, I can "temp-ban," but only a 24-hour
type of thing, pending the Board's subsequent action. That would be done
only to stop an upheaval on the board.)

-----

LordTrychon
12-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Thank you for that. As a Mod, I am not against publicly announcing a ban,
and I am not against publicly discussing a Mod. I feel that if I conduct my
job to the best of my ability, honestly and fairly, then I should not be afraid
of public scrutiny. I don't mean a poster's hijacking a thread by flying off
and flaming a Mod (or anybody, for that matter). But the Town Hall forum
should be open to such discussions, as well as the other matters here.

IMHO.

NOTE: Of course, there is one difference here: A Mod cannot put a ban on
a poster. The Mod can only submit that poster to the Advisory Board, who
in turn decides whether to ban/suspend and how long it will be. I believe
that serves as an assurance to the members here that such an action
would be less arbitrary that it might at the hands of one individual in the
heat of the moment. (As Senior Mod, I can "temp-ban," but only a 24-hour
type of thing, pending the Board's subsequent action. That would be done
only to stop an upheaval on the board.)

-----

Should discussion of moderators actions become public... you'll want to also want to discuss how much moderators are allowed to respond too. I don't know if that's a discussion for here and now though...

Edit: Even though Mods here cannot ban (I couldn't for a long time on that other place either) the same goes for all moderator actions... discussion of deletions, closures... warnings... hell... even stickies. :laugh:

Tned
12-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Because of what you described, all the speculation/questioning posts, we as a community need to decide if the preference would be to state reasons (even if somewhat generic) why a poster was banned.

fcspikeit
12-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Because of what you described, all the speculation/questioning posts, we as a community need to decide if the preference would be to state reasons (even if somewhat generic) why a poster was banned.

IMO, I feel everyone should be accountable for their actions. If there is no fault to be found with the mod for the banning then why shouldn't it be brought out?

If there was a special forum for this it would help keep it out of of the other forums. Plus, if we know the reasons so and so got banned we would know what is acceptable and what is crossing the line.

I really like the idea of only the advisory board being able to permanently ban someone. If they have access to all the information they will be able to determine if the offense is deserving of getting kicked off for good.

If we allow temporary bannings by the mods, then the members should have access to the advisory board so they can plead there case for the future.

topscribe
12-25-2007, 05:10 PM
If we allow temporary bannings by the mods, then the members should have access to the advisory board so they can plead there case for the future.

That is a very good point, and you already have that.

The members here have access to the Advisory Board any time they need it
for reasonable causes. :beer:

-----

Colorado4Life
12-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I think that a new section/area for BroncosForums gatherings should be created as that is the way that members will get to know one another by having real life gatherings.

Jody
12-27-2007, 11:39 AM
I think that a new section/area for BroncosForums gatherings should be created as that is the way that members will get to know one another by having real life gatherings.

Patience grasshopper. That's what the forum called, "What's on Your Mind" is for. ;) All good things come in time.

SR
12-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Patience grasshopper. That's what the forum called, "What's on Your Mind" is for. ;) All good things come in time.

Not particularly. On the Mustang message boards I'm on, there is always GTG (get togethers) where we can go and shoot the breeze and what not, and they all have their own subforum for them to get set up. He's got a good idea.

Colorado4Life
12-27-2007, 12:26 PM

You called me a grasshopper... lol That is one of my favorite nicknames ever. Patience is a virtue... And I am certainly not a virtous man... lol

Colorado4Life
12-27-2007, 12:29 PM
This site is absolutely fantastic I must say... The blue background took some getting used to but it is growing on me like a fungus... So now you have to say there is a fungus among us...

SR
12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
fungus among us...

One of two good Incubus CDs...

Jody
12-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Not particularly. On the Mustang message boards I'm on, there is always GTG (get togethers) where we can go and shoot the breeze and what not, and they all have their own subforum for them to get set up. He's got a good idea.

Maybe grasshopper should make a thread with 'details' on what this involves, as it seems I'm clueless. :confused:

Colorado4Life
12-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Maybe grasshopper should make a thread with 'details' on what this involves, as it seems I'm clueless. :confused:

I think a certain someone has a crush on me :D

Colorado4Life
12-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Basically it would be another sub-forum where people can post games/locations of gatherings and places to meet and hang out with other Broncos fans. C4L aka myself, HolyDiver, Chanesaw drove seven or so hours to Springfield MO to hangout with Cswil and 9798 and likewise they have driven the long distance to hang out with us in Indiana. I think we should orchestrate Denver gatherings and local small units around the country to meetup at games and also events. Our group was SCIBFA which stood for South Central Indiana Broncos Freak Alliance. We were the regional group doing meetings in our area. Lots of fun.

Jody
12-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Basically it would be another sub-forum where people can post games/locations of gatherings and places to meet and hang out with other Broncos fans. C4L aka myself, HolyDiver, Chanesaw drove seven or so hours to Springfield MO to hangout with Cswil and 9798 and likewise they have driven the long distance to hang out with us in Indiana. I think we should orchestrate Denver gatherings and local small units around the country to meetup at games and also events. Our group was SCIBFA which stood for South Central Indiana Broncos Freak Alliance. We were the regional group doing meetings in our area. Lots of fun.

That sounds like a good idea....and Jim didn't make me say that either. :D
You really should post that as a separate thread for Tned and the advisory board to hash over.

Benetto
12-27-2007, 03:30 PM
I can tell the majority of people here are adults. So probably best idea to help regulate a comfortable atmosphere would be to go by cable TV standards. No nipples, no privates...Butt shots in thongs should be a mods decision to leave or delete (and or warn) .

As far as bans go, I have found the 3 strikes rule decent and fair...As long as the person didn't go over board. Then should he/she need to, they can appeal to head Tot. You know who you are.

Tned
12-27-2007, 03:31 PM
I can tell the majority of people here are adults. So probably best idea to help regulate a comfortable atmosphere would be to go by cable TV standards. No nipples, no privates...Butt shots in thongs should be a mods decision to leave or delete (and or warn.

As far as bans go, I have found the 3 strikes rule decent and fair...As long as the person didn't go over board. Then should he/she need to they can appeal to head Tot. You know who you are.

We have quite a few members that are in the 14-16 range.

Benetto
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM

They gotta learn somewhere right?

:nixon: JK

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 03:59 PM

DC is this many...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/bsp/hi/basketball/rules/referees_signals/img/refsignals_3pointer298.jpg

fcspikeit
12-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Getting back to the discussion on profanity,, :D

I know some here would say if you don't like it you can just ad so and so to your ignore list but this wont work for everyone, such as myself beings I run the pick'em league.

Just a thought,,,

SR
12-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Well fortunately the pick 'ems are done in about a five weeks.

fcspikeit
12-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Well fortunately the pick 'ems are done in about a five weeks.

My point is, anyone that is running this sort of thing can't ignore any members. Pick the draft will be coming pretty soon, And there is always the pick'em next year ;)

SR
12-28-2007, 02:55 AM
This board doesn't revolve around any single person. You have no more pull here than anyone else, so honestly, quit trying to get the board to be run to best suit YOU. It's irritating.

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 03:12 AM
This board doesn't revolve around any single person. You have no more pull here than anyone else, so honestly, quit trying to get the board to be run to best suit YOU. It's irritating.

My kinda comment...

Tned
12-28-2007, 03:25 AM
My point is, anyone that is running this sort of thing can't ignore any members. Pick the draft will be coming pretty soon, And there is always the pick'em next year ;)

I think fc has been talking for a number of people, not jsut himself. He has referred to him being unable to put people on ignore, simple as an example that telling people to put those that curse on ignore doesn't really work in all cases.

fcspikeit
12-28-2007, 03:27 AM

Really,

That's kind of funny coming from the person that has posted in this thread by far more then anyone else, who coincedently also said,

You clearly had the interest of everyone else in mind when you wrote that. :rolleyes:

I take it your not trying to persuade the board to be run to best suit YOU? Or you just feel you should be the only one who is allowed to post multiple times here to get what you want?

I really hope you don't think the thought of you being irritated is going to keep me from posting? LOL

fcspikeit
12-28-2007, 03:33 AM
I think fc has been talking for a number of people, not jsut himself. He has referred to him being unable to put people on ignore, simple as an example that telling people to put those that curse on ignore doesn't really work in all cases.

Thank you! :salute:

That brings me to another question,, What do you feel about the mods posting their thoughts here? I know one who said it would be best that he not post because he's a mod. But IMO they are members as well and they should have equal say in what goes on here.

What is your thoughts on that?

Tned
12-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Thank you! :salute:

That brings me to another question,, What do you feel about the mods posting their thoughts here? I know one who said it would be best that he not post because he's a mod. But IMO they are members as well and they should have equal say in what goes on here.

What is your thoughts on that?

When we posted this Town Hall Discussion, we agreed that the mods and advisory board members would hold off a while to give everyone else an opportunity to give input, before we joined the discussion with our own ideas.

Top and I, and possibly others, have tried to clear up questions and misunderstanding, but not push our positions.

I would think here in the near future, all of the mods and board members will join the discussion.

fcspikeit
12-28-2007, 04:03 AM
When we posted this Town Hall Discussion, we agreed that the mods and advisory board members would hold off a while to give everyone else an opportunity to give input, before we joined the discussion with our own ideas.

Top and I, and possibly others, have tried to clear up questions and misunderstanding, but not push our positions.

I would think here in the near future, all of the mods and board members will join the discussion.

Got yeah :salute:

IMO, the mods and advisory board have thankless jobs :beer:

It will be great to hear what they have to say on the matter. Common sense will prevail in the end. As long as I don't have to worry about my daughter nieces and nephews reading over my shoulder all is good :salute:

LordTrychon
12-28-2007, 03:02 PM

He's just offering his opinion. :confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Getting back to the discussion on profanity,, :D

I know some here would say if you don't like it you can just ad so and so to your ignore list but this wont work for everyone, such as myself beings I run the pick'em league.

Just a thought,,,

You are exactly correct. Ignore will not work for all.

Chica_Ang
01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Rules in general:

I lean toward on the mark. Granted, I haven't been posting much here, but I have been reading posts to stay in touch.

Cursing is easy, and I love doing it in my daily life, but here I attempt to use my brain and think about my words and never just REACT to something. I expect, maybe unfairly, that everyone else does the same. I come back here and BM because I like the respect we treat each other with. There is so much raunch in the world...I like having a place where I can take a break from it. I think allowing *** for cursing is fine. Lord knows I use it sometimes.

I may get flamed, but I don't care, bring the fire...NO T & A! No bouncing or heaving chests, NO thongs or bikini bottoms. Why? Because the female form has been objectified forever (it's called sexism) and I will always be vocal about it, because I'm sick of it. This isn't the place to get an erotic or sensual fix. There are plenty of other places on the web for that. Frankly, I feel very uncomfortable when there are avatars and sigs with thinly clad males or females. I'll try to explain to the guys how uncomfortable, weird, and unnecessary it is to come to a football forum, being predominantly male, to talk about the sport and see some of the thread discussions turn flirty, or someone is interested in seeing what I look like. Who cares what I look like? I don't see the guys asking for each other's pictures. Can't a girl go somewhere to talk sports and not be bombarded with images she sees everywhere else in our society? Can't she just be appreciated for what she knows and what she contributes to the forum?

Should this forum be more loosely moderated than other forums? Should more flaming/personal attacks be allowed? The smack forum should be loose. Don't enter if you can't take it.

Banning:

Should banning be a formalized process, such as a system that might have two official warnings and then a suspension, possibly followed by a probation period, OR, should all bans be voted on by the 7 members advisory board, OR should suspensions/bans be determined by the moderators? Yes
On other message boards, few things have created as much controversy as banning, so this is something where we really need community feedback, in terms of how it should be done. I can't speak to this. I'll read what others have to say about this.

Infraction Point System:
[LIST]
Should we consider implementing an Infraction Point (IP) system, with publicly stated point values and suspension/banning/loss of privileges thresholds? I'll have to think about this.

Jody
01-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Chica Ang - your above post is beautifully written and very eloquent. I understand what you are relaying and appreciate that full heartedly, especially being a lady myself and not really caring to see T&A on here either, but I do not, in any way, take it personal against me or against women in general (and I'm not suggesting that you do either).

I do not want to see the raunch in the avy's, because then I cannot get away from seeing them repeatedly, over and over. However, in their personal sigs, I feel differently about it. I can also uncheck the box for them to be seen!

I believe everyone on this board has an opportunity to have self-expression within their sig of images, quotations, whatever it is. Posters express what is important to them, such as contributions to a father who passed away or about their dog (who shall remain nameless), and then there are those guys AND GALS who would also like to have an image of the opposite sex (hopefully the opposite sex). I do not feel this is intruding on me in any way, shape, or form, as they are not directing it to me, personally as a woman, but just letting people know in general - "She's so hot!". In a way, I look at it as a tribute to women vs sexism. Yes, there's limits on what they can show and should show, but a heavy chest is the least of our problems or a skimpy cheerleading outfit. After all, it's a "Sports" board. This is not the place to be easily offended, as people from all over the world, literally, post here, and they do not all feel that a sexy body is sexism. If this were a Stock or Banker's board, I'd be agreeing with you 100%, but it is not. It's an entertainment board, and thus....should be given more room for self expression and individuality, even if it doesn't always make us feel we are being respected. I say this, as everyone has their own take on this, so we have to be careful not to customize to a handful of posters only.

Personally, I don't think a sports board is the place to yell "sexism". :whoknows:

Day1BroncoFan
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
On the subject of vulgarity, I find it rather vulgar. I would think it better to express ones feelings not using vulgarity. It’s not hard to post a thought without cussing. I have never used vulgar words in my posts and I won’t. I don’t thinks it’s appropriate to use vulgarity on a forum that is designed for users of all ages.

I will not put any one on my ignore list for any reason.

Colorado4Life
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I think banning vulgarity is discrimination as it discriminates against people too stupid to post intelligent posts without swearing. Take me for example, I mean don't literally take me. I'm stupid enough that every post I make should include a 4 letter word but sadly I understand this and thus I post without swearing in order for people to have absolutely no idea what I was writing about. And besides even if one did understand what I was writing about, chances are they simply wouldn't care. So Vote No on swearing rules! Discrimination against cussers and swearers must stop today! We have a Constitutional Right to be Stupid and Ignorant!!

dogfish
01-05-2008, 01:37 AM
That brings me to another question,, What do you feel about the mods (and board members) posting their thoughts here? I know one who said it would be best that he not post because he's a mod. But IMO they are members as well and they should have equal say in what goes on here.

thanks. . . i've kept out of the discussion so far-- as tned said, to let the members "have their say" before mods and board members start posting-- but i'm a member of the forum as well as the advisory board, and i feel that i still have the right to express my opinions. . . here are a few of them. . .

as for the swearing-- my mouth is atrocious, so i'm not easily offended, but i was raised to respect others, so i try to tone it down in mixed company. . . that's something i certainly don't "have to" do, but i believe in being reasonably polite to others as long as they're polite to me. . . i completely refuse to believe that not being allowed to drop f-bombs prevents anyone from being able to enjoy this forum, while i do believe that having to hear that type of language would probably lessen the enjoyment of some people (maybe that makes them uptight, maybe we're just a bunch of vulgar bums-- it's just your opinion). . . i'm pretty satisfed with the profanity filter where it is, although i think filtering the word s l u t is kinda ridiculous and prudish. . . :rolleyes:

i do think that evading the filter by typing $hit or d1ck shouldn't be allowed-- if you're going to let people do that, you may as well just let them type the words themselves-- it's essentially the same thing. . . again, just a matter of opinion, but i'm okay with acronyms like WTF or LMFAO-- but i won't cry if they go away, either. . . i think the "as long as it's acceptable on cable TV" is a pretty fair guidline. . .

i like that one for the posting of "graphic" images, as well-- if it's something you'd see on desperate housewives, or on a magazine cover at a normal grocery store (not behind the counter at 7-11 :naughty: ), there's no reason it should be prohibited here. . . in fact, i feel that pretty much anything less than full frontal nudity should be acceptable, as what you can see cheerleaders wear at invesco on any sunday isn't much more than that. . . IMO distinguishing between bikinis or thongs and lingerie is silly, unless we're talking about lingerie made of saran wrap. . .

my big thing on this is that it needs to be enforced as evenly as possible-- there shouldn't be one standard for what's permissible when posting pics of women, and another for what's permissible when posting pics of men. . . no double standard! i also fail to see why animated gifs should be judged differently than still pictures, unless they're REALLY graphic. . . my opinion is that sexually SUGGESTIVE material should be tolerated, while sexually EXPLICIT material should not be. . .

one thing that i'm pretty much seing a consensus on is the smack forum, and i'm in agreement here-- things should be moderated a little more loosely there. . . not that people should be allowed to subvert the language filter, but i think mild insults and personal attacks that aren't acceptable elsewhere should be let slide in smack. . . if you can't handle "you're an idiot" and "how does a moron like you manage to tie his own shoes in the morning," then smack isn't the forum for you. . .

however, i do NOT think people should be able to engage in all-out flame wars that stretch over dozens of posts and become increasingly more personal. . . it's not that it bothers me so much, as it is that that junk can pretty much ruin an otherwise perfectly good thread. . . IMO, say whatcha gotta say and have done with, but there's nothing worrse than opening a thread and having to read through six pages of two knuckleheads going back and forth with "i know what you are, but what am i?"-- if they're so pissy and immature that they need to do that, start up a seperate thread rather than pollute one that other people might actually want to use for posting on the stated topic. . . when that stuff starts going on, IMO it should be okay for a mod to tell them "gte back ontopic or take it somewhere else, fellas"-- that's the kind of stuff that ends up dragging over into other forums. . .

and personally, i think smack should be pretty firmly restricted to the smack forum-- it's fine if YOU think smack belongs everywhere and is a part of life, but i come here mostly to have intelligent discussion about football, NOT to talk junk and run my mouth. . . there's no reason that stuff should be going on in the general discussions (broncos talk and other teams) forums. . . what's the point of having a seperate smack forum if it's open season everywhere?? some friendly banter between fans of different teams is okay, but remember-- what YOU think is "friendly," someone else may not take that way. . . instead of telling them to "lighten up" or "get thicker skin," why not just take it to the smack forum if you want to talk smack? otherwise, i need to push for the establishment of a "grown-up discussions only" forum. . .

maybe it's just me, but i like to go to the "other teams" forum and be able to have a semi-serious conversation about what the QB situation of the chiefs, browns, or any other team is going to be for next year, without it degenerating into a pissing match. . . at the very least, i think people should respect the thread starter if he or she specifically says "no smack in this thread" or something to that effect-- and i think the mods should be available to clean up such threads at the OP's request, if they feel the rules have been violated. . .

okay, more in a little bit. . .

also, i want to thank everyone who's taken the time to post in this thread-- your opinions and desires really ARE important! it's the function of the advisory board to enact them (the wishes of the community as best we can understand them, not YOUR individual wishes, no matter how much you may think they represent the wishes of "most people here" ;) ), but we can't do so if you don't provide them. . . so tell us what you want-- and try to do so without too much personal bickering and griping-- easier for me if i don't have to read through a bunch of petty nonsense to get to what i need to see. . . :D

good discussion so far, let's keep it going. . .

broncogirl7
01-05-2008, 02:44 AM
I would definately have a problem with the "f" bomb being dropped.
Wtf or lmfao aren't really a problem for me. Using all astericks for a curse word doesn't really hurt anything.

fcspikeit
01-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Someone said they felt PG13 was a good guideline to go by, I agree with that..

I pretty much agree with everything dogfish said..:salute:

I also hate it when you go into an interesting thread, to see it ruined by people not really caring about the topic, smacking each other and sidetracking the thread.

I was on the Bolts board 4 or 5 weeks ago... I was talking to some of their fans about the playoffs and what it would take for the Broncos to get into the playoffs. There was someone there that kept smacking me.. It was clear he didn't care about the conversation.. He was just having fun. I know that, but it ruins the conversation just the same. Most posting there really wanted to have an intelligent conversation.

I know some say, it's just a message board so people should lighten up. The thing is,, everyone comes here for different reasons. I know a lot come to smack. We have a forum for that. They should be allowed to smack each other there as long as it don't get out of hand. But I feel, we should keep the smack out of the other forums. Esp... Bronco talk.

I don't see a big deal if people are goofing around in the lounge either. Most threads there are not of the serious nature anyways.

Mainly I just feel if its a serious thread, with serious conversation, the smack should be left out. Most the time, even the serious threads turn into a joke, where half the post's aren't even about the subject. I'm not saying people can't have fun, more then half the threads here are centered around that.

But there are people here who just want to have a serious conversation about the thread subject. IMO they have that right. I say, lets not ruin their thread. If you don't have something to offer about the thread subject, Don't post there. Every thread doesn't have to turn into happy hour at the comedy club.

Start a new thread and make your friends laugh there :elefant:

If we are going to filter out a word, the word should not be allowed in any readable form. If we are going to allow sh!t, then we might as well just allow
the correct spelling. I'm not saying sh!t shouldn't be allowed, Just using that as an example of a filtered word.

Filtered words that are typed to slip past the filter don't just slip out. Anyone who types it like that knows the word is not allowed.

dogfish
01-05-2008, 04:02 AM
okay, here's a few more things. . . on moderation-- by and large i am pretty satisfied with the job that's been done so far. . . this is an area where it is impossible to completely satisfy every single individual all of the time, so the goal should be to reach a reasonable compromise where most of the people are at least relatively satisfied-- i personally feel that we're more or less on track with that. . .

there have indeed been a few rough spots (particularly with some of the more heated discussion that happen in P+R), and the board has been asked to review a small handfull of questions and settle one or two disputes, but in all fairness to the moderators it should be pointed out that they have essentially been "flying blind" up to this point-- none of our mods besides the illustrious LDB have ever done it before, and they have not been provided with an instruction booklet. . .

the board and the mods are currently working together to get some standards in place, but i think it needs to be said that this will probably always be an ongoing process, as we gather more information and opinions-- there is absolutely no way to anticipate every possible situation in advance! however, speaking for the advisory board, what we CAN promise you is that we will do our level best to make sure that things are done as fairly and as consistently as possible, and that any complaint you have will be heard and discussed- of course that is certainly not a guarantee that we will "side with you" or act to change moderator behavior or decisions, but any issues WILL be taken seriously. . . any poster who has a problem or question regarding moderator action should feel free to PM a member of the advisory board, it's one of the things we're here for. . .

it's my personal opinion that less moderation is the best moderation, but THAT is really up to the members of the community. . . make the minimal effort required to follow the rules, and you will never need to see the mods except when they are posting about the broncos like the rest of us-- it's really not that difficult to behave like a civilized, halfway intelligent adult, and the vast majority of people here do just that. . .

i would like to take this opportunity to extend a big, sincere "thanks" to the members of the moderator staff-- everyone should remember that they are donating their time to help keep this place running and make it more enjoyable for the rest of us (and get rid of idiot chargers and raiders trolls! :laugh: okay-- so the truth is, they haven't gotten rid of anybody yet). . . it's very easy to criticise them when you don't agree with their actions, but don't forget to be appreciative of the time that they give also. . . they are every bit as human and fallible as the rest of us, and inevitably they are not going to be perfect all the time. . . but have some patience, take advantage of the resources available to you here, and we should be able to work together to make this a fun place for everyone to post. . .

UnderArmour
01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
To give my feedback, I think the only rules we need are don't spam, don't advertise, don't post in the wrong section, don't bypass filters, and don't hijack threads(with a flame war or otherwise).

slim
01-05-2008, 12:48 PM
My 2 cents: I haven't noticed any moderation issue in my short time here. Maybe need to loosen up the "going off topic" thing. That seems to be a little strict. I think every discussion is bound to go off topic to some degree, kinda the nature of the beast. But overall, I think the moderators here are doing a great job.

As for swearing, I don't really care. But I do think that things like LMAO, WTF, etc are fine and should be allowed. As far as filtering out cuss words, you can filter them all or none of them, it makes no difference to me.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
All threads go off-course to a point I agree..Someone just needs to step in and get it back on track. It happens, big deal.

Buff
01-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I say let's go NC-17 and allow everything... Censor nothing but Spam.

Profanity= Allowed
Nudity= Allowed
Flaming, Personal Attacks= Allowed

I know that sounds ridiculous and will never happen-- but if we're drawing up our ideal forum-- that's mine.

I get too caught up in how some people are bending the rules more than others-- (i.e. finding roundabout ways to insult other people) When in reality, I don't care about the actual insults so much as the subjectivity and double standards they create. I think the solution is to take the subjectivity (moderators) out of the picture and to allow people to police themselves by either posting, or not posting. At the end of the day, it's just a privately owned message board with a small population and the worst thing that could happen is that someone's feelings will get hurt.

haroldthebarrel
01-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I say let's go NC-17 and allow everything... Censor nothing but Spam.

Profanity= Allowed
Nudity= Allowed
Flaming, Personal Attacks= Allowed

I know that sounds ridiculous and will never happen-- but if we're drawing up our ideal forum-- that's mine.

I get too caught up in how some people are bending the rules more than others-- (i.e. finding roundabout ways to insult other people) When in reality, I don't care about the actual insults so much as the subjectivity and double standards they create. I think the solution is to take the subjectivity (moderators) out of the picture and to allow people to police themselves by either posting, or not posting. At the end of the day, it's just a privately owned message board with a small population and the worst thing that could happen is that someone's feelings will get hurt.

Actually that is my idea of a perfect forum as well. If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
And as an experiment I am certain people would moderate themselves to a larger degree, as they wouldnt do the things that pisses themselves off to others.

LordTrychon
01-05-2008, 03:58 PM
my big thing on this is that it needs to be enforced as evenly as possible-- there shouldn't be one standard for what's permissible when posting pics of women, and another for what's permissible when posting pics of men. . . no double standard! i also fail to see why animated gifs should be judged differently than still pictures, unless they're REALLY graphic. . . my opinion is that sexually SUGGESTIVE material should be tolerated, while sexually EXPLICIT material should not be. . .

Your entire post was great, Dogfish... but this was the only part that I felt a need to play devils advocate (and yes, that's what I'm doing... I could stare at Jessica Alba for a LONG time on that pole and have indeed done so. lol).

When movies are rated, the association that hands out the ratings pays very close attention to how much time is spent on sexually suggestive material. If a movie's shooting to be PG-13 rather than R, they may have the movie checked multiple times by the association and the association will send back that they need to cut X amount of time off of certain scenes.

A Gif can take something that was originally censored down to half a second or a second of exposure to keep it PG-13 and turn it into a repetitive ongoing neverending motion that most certainly wouldn't have been allowed in the same movie it came from.

I'm not supporting any particular rule change at all here. I just want to explain how murky that line can and has become at times in my experience.

LordTrychon
01-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Actually that is my idea of a perfect forum as well. If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
And as an experiment I am certain people would moderate themselves to a larger degree, as they wouldnt do the things that pisses themselves off to others.

While I appreciate your guys' input... this is the one thing that has been made clear WON'T happen. This will never be a 'mature' or 'over 18' site. That brings legal ramifications down on the owner.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
A lot of words in this thread, wow.

Tned
01-05-2008, 04:14 PM
While I appreciate your guys' input... this is the one thing that has been made clear WON'T happen. This will never be a 'mature' or 'over 18' site. That brings legal ramifications down on the owner.

Correct, not NC-17 or beyond theme, because then I would be responsible for doing age verifications and stuff like that (and we don't want to force out our younger members), plus this is a football forum, not an adult entertainment forum. There are plenty of those elsewhere on the web, or so I have been told.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 04:29 PM
My two cents on the subject of language:

I think anything that can be said on prime time TV would be appropriate. Currently, it's set pretty well, except for the word d!ck. That can be a person's name, like my uncle ****. (I really do have one) You can also say ***** on prime time TV, I wouldn't mind that one being added. Same with sh!t....Acronyms like WTF, FUBAR, SOB, etc. are fine.

Overall, I don't care. **** works well enough for me. Even the F word wouldn't upset me. Swearing doesn't bug me, I'm also known to curse like a sailor when I'm pissed. I do tone down when I'm around my kid and around people who are offended. But I only tone down, I don't quit.

I would lean towards no filters at all except for one thing: I hate reading posts that are FILLED with curse words. If you sentence was filtered and it looks like this: I ******* went down to the ******* bar and *** **** you wouldn't ******** believe the ******* **** that was ******** going down. Perfectly readable with out the asterisks (except the bolded one).

I don't think that breaking the profanity rule should get someone permanently banned. Time outs....sure. But don't kick someone out because they have a potty mouth.

fcspikeit
01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
If we type a filtered word and the filter catches it will we get warned by the mods?

Just wondering, when a person feels they want to ad something to their statement by expressing a curse, do they have to type it with the ** or can they just type the word and let the filter catch it?

Tned
01-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Due to the wandering nature of this thread, and a pressing need to deal with profanity right away, we have created a new thread with very pointed questions about profanity (what is/isn't). Please continue general discussions in this thread, but answer the specific questions at this link: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=84747#post84747

Thanks

Poet
01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
The Smack forum needs to have A LOT of changes in my opinion. If there was ever a place for a little personal jab here and there, it would be the smack forum for sure. Honestly, as long as the language is not foul it is really not different at all than watching a football game at a bar. There will almost always be fans of the other team at the sports bar and a little good natured ribbing and banter is nothing to shirk away from. I mean seriously, it says duck before entering right? That would imply that some trash talking is going to occur. And if people are going to make an outlandish statement that is totally illogical in the smack forum, logically you think you could take some small shots at THEM. In a nutshell I think the rule that no shots are members is usually a decent idea, but this is the exception to the rule.

haroldthebarrel
01-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Correct, not NC-17 or beyond theme, because then I would be responsible for doing age verifications and stuff like that (and we don't want to force out our younger members), plus this is a football forum, not an adult entertainment forum. There are plenty of those elsewhere on the web, or so I have been told.

I actually didnt know that. In our laws it wouldnt be like that.

Is that true as far as language is concerned?
I mean, I could understand it if it was with porn or something like that, which incidently I didnt really think of. Probably because I have never understood the need for nude/erotic pics on a discussion board when there are millions of porn sites or whatever to pleasure that need.

pnbronco
01-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I think we should use the PG-13 as a general guide. I also think that the Smack section should allow at lot more leeway. There are posters that really like that type of posting and they should have a place that it's allowed. I like that we stay on topic, if I'm on a tight schedule I don't want to have to read through pages of other stuff to see if it gets back on topic. Reading 2 guys really getting into it is just not that fun. So maybe it can be like Hockey, they can throw down the gloves and go to a different location argue all they want without personal attacks.

I have really enjoyed this site. I have posted more here in 4 months than I did in years at the other place. I like the fact that you have people from all over with many different ages. I like intelligent conversations about the Broncos, even when they drive us nuts.

dogfish
01-06-2008, 04:06 AM
one thing i forgot and wanted to add. . . if someone is banned, i'm in favor of having it publicly posted-- that seems to me to be what the majority prefers, and i can see how it would be useful in showing people what the limits are and what kind of behavior will get you in trouble. . . as for the argument that it will embarrass that person, well damn right-- you screw up enough to get banned, you should be embarrassed! i'm with niner on this one, shut up and take it like a man (or woman, as the case may be). . .

if nothing else, that would prevent the nosy-ass busibodies from having to get all worked up about it-- "OOOH, i just HAVE to know what's going on, because it's totally my business!" :lol:

the only concern i have is that some people aren't mature enough to deal with it, and if one of their friends gets banned they'll make a big public spectacle out of it, act like the poster is the victim of some tragic government conspiracy (when in reality they just got their privileges on an internet messae board revoked for a few days), and make way more drama than it's worth. . .

actually, now that i consider that angle, i'm not so sure after all that it should be public knowledge-- the first time some knucklehead gets banned for repeated flaming and acting like an idiot, we'll have a dozen wannabe "rebels against authority" up in arms demanding a public hearing. . . .

hmmmm. . . .

Watchthemiddle
01-06-2008, 04:11 AM
one thing i forgot and wanted to add. . . if someone is banned, i'm in favor of having it publicly posted-- that seems to me to be what the majority prefers, and i can see how it would be useful in showing people what the limits are and what kind of behavior will get you in trouble. . . as for the argument that it will embarrass that person, well damn right-- you screw up enough to get banned, you should be embarrassed! i'm with niner on this one, shut up and take it like a man (or woman, as the case may be). . .

if nothing else, that would prevent the nosy-ass busibodies from having to get all worked up about it-- "OOOH, i just HAVE to know what's going on, because it's totally my business!" :lol:

the only concern i have is that some people aren't mature enough to deal with it, and if one of their friends gets banned they'll make a big public spectacle out of it, act like the poster is the victim of some tragic government conspiracy (when in reality they just got their privileges on an internet messae board revoked for a few days), and make way more drama than it's worth. . .

actually, now that i consider that angle, i'm not so sure after all that it should be public knowledge-- the first time some knucklehead gets banned for repeated flaming and acting like an idiot, we'll have a dozen wannabe "rebels against authority" up in arms demanding a public hearing. . . .

hmmmm. . . .

I actually think that publicly saying why the poster is banned will eliminate the "rebels against authority" because everyone will know why and if there is an explanation given it will eliminate a lot of the speculation also. If people don't know why one is banned I believe thats when trouble happens. Especially if its someone as cool as me that was banned. :cool:

dogfish
01-06-2008, 04:14 AM
I actually think that publicly saying why the poster is banned will eliminate the "rebels against authority" because everyone will know why and if there is an explanation given it will eliminate a lot of the speculation also. If people don't know why one is banned I believe thats when trouble happens. Especially if its someone as cool as me that was banned. :cool:

yea, we almost crashed the board a few times-- but then we realized you were probably just bangin' heads with mtnman again. . .

:laugh:

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree about banning being made public but only if an explaination is given as to why the person was banned.

I also think that if some do decide to take up a rebel stance then maybe they should be banned as well.

frauschieze
01-06-2008, 01:00 PM

hmmmm. . . .

I absolutely think that it should be publicly posted when someone is banned. Have a LOCKED thread (so that only mods can post in it) that the bare minimum details are posted for every ban: who, what the violation was and how long. I think there is quite a bit more 'drama' when other members are wondering what happened than if they are politely informed.

Nothing creates more controversy than bans. This board is an open place in all other functions. Why not remain open in aspect as well?

LordTrychon
01-06-2008, 02:10 PM

hmmmm. . . .

I think the outcry is something that will happen one way or the other.

I don't remember ever dealing with it after becoming a mod... but I remember the talks about people being banned and 'what happened?!?!' from when I was a peon.

I can imagine it happening anyway.

Poet
01-06-2008, 02:14 PM

If the forum had an R rating theme would you have to do the same Tned?

Jody
01-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I absolutely think that it should be publicly posted when someone is banned. Have a LOCKED thread (so that only mods can post in it) that the bare minimum details are posted for every ban: who, what the violation was and how long. I think there is quite a bit more 'drama' when other members are wondering what happened than if they are politely informed.

Nothing creates more controversy than bans. This board is an open place in all other functions. Why not remain open in aspect as well?

I agree. In addition, I think this should be placed in a forum of it's own where it is listed as an example:

Banned Members:
"Jody" Banned - 3 days - for profanity

This is closed for comments or questions. It is not allowed to be discussed in the town hall feedback sections. It's open, it's honest, it informs everyone of why and how long they will be gone, and everytime someone gets their hand slapped, it should definitely not become 2-3 days or more days of juvenile discussion, debate, and further ridicule of fellow members who post within those types of threads and get upset. Perhaps this is not the exact solution, but I think it's a start.

I loved your idea, dog.

Tned
01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
If the forum had an R rating theme would you have to do the same Tned?

I don't know, but even if I and others, wanted to chase off all our younger members (which I thnk would be a real shame), considering the time and money I am already putting into this site, I don't want to try and push the line to the point I have to get legal council to know what is going to keep me out of legal trouble.

This isn't a money maker for me, it is a money pit. I don't have ads up, I have ads other places pointing here. I don't want to put myself in the position of having to get legal opinions because we are straddling the line.

Tned
01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned Members:

Jody, we were trying to keep that a secret, and not let it get out that you were banned.....

Tned
01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree. In addition, I think this should be placed in a forum of it's own where it is listed as an example:

Banned Members:

This is closed for comments or questions. It is not allowed to be discussed in the town hall feedback sections. It's open, it's honest, it informs everyone of why and how long they will be gone, and everytime someone gets their hand slapped, it should definitely not become 2-3 days or more days of juvenile discussion, debate, and further ridicule of fellow members who post within those types of threads and get upset. Perhaps this is not the exact solution, but I think it's a start.

I loved your idea, dog.

Personally, I like this idea.

fcspikeit
01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
This isn't a money maker for me, it is a money pit. I don't have ads up, I have ads other places pointing here.

In regards to this, I think you should have a donations excepted thread. The thread could just direct people to where they need to go if they wanted to donate something. If every member donated something, even 10 bucks, it would help out.

Also, if you placed some ads here, I think most would understand. I hate them on BM, but I don't expect you to keep paying out of your pocket.

You are a great guy for paying for everything here and still giving everyone say in how it is ran! :salute: :beer:

Tned
01-06-2008, 04:27 PM
In regards to this, I think you should have a donations excepted thread. The thread could just direct people to where they need to go if they wanted to donate something. If every member donated something, even 10 bucks, it would help out.

Also, if you placed some ads here, I think most would understand. I hate them on BM, but I don't expect you to keep paying out of your pocket.

You are a great guy for paying for everything here and still giving everyone say in how it is ran! :salute: :beer:

If the time comes that I can't cover the nut, then I will do one or both, after discussing the options with the community. For instance, if that time came, the only way I would be comfortable was if we had a solid system for tracking total donations and providing accountability to those that donated in terms of how their money was used.

But, as I said, if it gets to that point, then we will talk about it in detail, and together come up with the best solution (donations, ads, etc.) for the community/message board.

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 04:39 PM
If the time comes that I can't cover the nut, then I will do one or both, after discussing the options with the community. For instance, if that time came, the only way I would be comfortable was if we had a solid system for tracking total donations and providing accountability to those that donated in terms of how their money was used.

But, as I said, if it gets to that point, then we will talk about it in detail, and together come up with the best solution (donations, ads, etc.) for the community/message board.

I donated 50 - 100 dollars a year to the freak. Many of us donated money. Then the owner split on us. :D That's why most of us were pissed. We don't mind donating, just don't leave us behind with nothing.. :D

Tned
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I donated 50 - 100 dollars a year to the freak. Many of us donated money. Then the owner split on us. :D That's why most of us were pissed. We don't mind donating, just don't leave us behind with nothing.. :D

Exactly, and you should know that if you donate, where the money is going. Meaning, if for instance it costs $150 a month to run the forum, and we get $1200 a year in donations and $1000 in advertising, where did the extra $400 go?

As I said, if it ever came to that, I wouldn't want to just ask for donations, unless I could come up with a method (other than just telling you) that would ensure accountability for how those donations were used.

Anyway, we are a ways from having to worry about that. As long as I am able to keep my current job, I don't see a situation where I can't carry the nut, I just have to play a little shell game so my wife doesn't realize where the money is going. ;)

LordTrychon
01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Exactly, and you should know that if you donate, where the money is going. Meaning, if for instance it costs $150 a month to run the forum, and we get $1200 a year in donations and $1000 in advertising, where did the extra $400 go?

As I said, if it ever came to that, I wouldn't want to just ask for donations, unless I could come up with a method (other than just telling you) that would ensure accountability for how those donations were used.

Anyway, we are a ways from having to worry about that. As long as I am able to keep my current job, I don't see a situation where I can't carry the nut, I just have to play a little shell game so my wife doesn't realize where the money is going. ;)

Just tell her you've become addicted to painkillers or something.

Tned
01-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Just tell her you've become addicted to painkillers or something.

I think it would be better than saying I am addicted to football forums... :lol:

LordTrychon
01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
I think it would be better than saying I am addicted to football forums... :lol:

What I originally was going to put was quite a bit worse...

But I didn't want to offend anyone. ;)

frauschieze
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Banned Members:

I loved your idea, dog.

Bingo. The only thing I would change is that instead of making a new forum for one thread, just sticky it in Town Hall. Locked always, with a new post added for every member banned.

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Has anyone been banned here yet? You get your own thread huh? With your name and everything? Kind of cool!!

LordTrychon
01-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Has anyone been banned here yet? You get your own thread huh? With your name and everything? Kind of cool!!

I'm working on it....

frauschieze
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm working on it....

I think Niner was volunteering.....

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Hang on, I might want to be first. I could be kind of famous being the first and everything you get..Not a bad deal really.

TXBRONC
01-06-2008, 09:36 PM
No one has been banned to this point.

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 09:37 PM
No one has been banned to this point.

I'm just kidding!! :D

BroncoBJ
01-07-2008, 02:54 AM
I like that idea.
I keep trying to get banned but Topscribe keeps giving me warnings. :mad:

:lol:

But that is a good idea.

I'm going to read the last few pages of this thread and see what I missed. :elefant:

pnbronco
01-07-2008, 03:17 AM

Banned Members:

I loved your idea, dog.

Good idea Jody, I like it.

pnbronco
01-07-2008, 03:30 AM
I don't know, but even if I and others, wanted to chase off all our younger members (which I thnk would be a real shame), considering the time and money I am already putting into this site, I don't want to try and push the line to the point I have to get legal council to know what is going to keep me out of legal trouble.

This isn't a money maker for me, it is a money pit. I don't have ads up, I have ads other places pointing here. I don't want to put myself in the position of having to get legal opinions because we are straddling the line.

Tned, thank you so much for creating this board. I have gotten hours of enjoyment from it (probably too many). I think the quality of this board is a great tribute to you and all those that helped you start it. All of you have my deep appreciation.

dogfish
01-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Good idea Jody, I like it.

what, you like the idea of banning jody for profanity?

pnbronco
01-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Yeah dogfish her dog scares me.:laugh::laugh:

Boy try to give a person credit for a good idea and see what happens...

Uncle Buck
01-09-2008, 02:08 AM

Actually, I think that Jody should be banned for being a dog owner. :cool:

Jody
01-09-2008, 08:46 PM

I would never be banned for profanity, dog....you know that. ;)

Hmmmm.....what would I be banned for exactly? :confused:

Politics most likely. Loving dogs. :laugh:

claymore
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Banned Members:

I loved your idea, dog.
Another thing I saw along these lines was that the signature of the infracted user was changed to "Banned Explanation........... # of days etc" in big red letters. But that was awesome you knew right away.

Day1BroncoFan
01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
I would never be banned for profanity, dog....you know that. ;)

Hmmmm.....what would I be banned for exactly? :confused:

Politics most likely. Loving dogs. :laugh:

Hey Jody, how ya doin? I haven't seen ya for a day or two.

Jody
01-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Jody, how ya doin? I haven't seen ya for a day or two.

Doing great, Day1, thanks! We had a 40-degree day or two....got a little spring fever I guess...been pretty busy. How about you? Been behaving? You've been posting more frequently than ever before I see....and getting your feathers ruffled more than I've ever seen before....careful not to become a potential ban victim. You must love dogs too? ;)

Jody
01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Another thing I saw along these lines was that the signature of the infracted user was changed to "Banned Explanation........... # of days etc" in big red letters. But that was awesome you knew right away.

I like that idea even better, cm.

Day1BroncoFan
01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Doing great, Day1, thanks! We had a 40-degree day or two....got a little spring fever I guess...been pretty busy. How about you? Been behaving? You've been posting more frequently than ever before I see....and getting your feathers ruffled more than I've ever seen before....careful not to become a potential ban victim. You must love dogs too? ;)

Yup, I love dogs and cats and... well, the list goes on.

My feathers get ruffled sometimes. I just have to stop and wait for a new day and all is well.

40 degree days, I don't think it has gotten below that here yet this winter.

Cleveland Rocks
01-10-2008, 08:02 PM
i also fail to see why animated gifs should be judged differently than still pictures, unless they're REALLY graphic. . . my opinion is that sexually SUGGESTIVE material should be tolerated, while sexually EXPLICIT material should not be. . .

one thing that i'm pretty much seing a consensus on is the smack forum, and i'm in agreement here-- things should be moderated a little more loosely there. . . not that people should be allowed to subvert the language filter, but i think mild insults and personal attacks that aren't acceptable elsewhere should be let slide in smack. . . if you can't handle "you're an idiot" and "how does a moron like you manage to tie his own shoes in the morning," then smack isn't the forum for you. . .

however, i do NOT think people should be able to engage in all-out flame wars that stretch over dozens of posts and become increasingly more personal. . . it's not that it bothers me so much, as it is that that junk can pretty much ruin an otherwise perfectly good thread. . . IMO, say whatcha gotta say and have done with, but there's nothing worrse than opening a thread and having to read through six pages of two knuckleheads going back and forth with "i know what you are, but what am i?"-- if they're so pissy and immature that they need to do that, start up a seperate thread rather than pollute one that other people might actually want to use for posting on the stated topic. . . when that stuff starts going on, IMO it should be okay for a mod to tell them "gte back ontopic or take it somewhere else, fellas"-- that's the kind of stuff that ends up dragging over into other forums. . .

and personally, i think smack should be pretty firmly restricted to the smack forum-- it's fine if YOU think smack belongs everywhere and is a part of life, but i come here mostly to have intelligent discussion about football, NOT to talk junk and run my mouth. . . there's no reason that stuff should be going on in the general discussions (broncos talk and other teams) forums. . . what's the point of having a seperate smack forum if it's open season everywhere?? some friendly banter between fans of different teams is okay, but remember-- what YOU think is "friendly," someone else may not take that way. . . instead of telling them to "lighten up" or "get thicker skin," why not just take it to the smack forum if you want to talk smack? otherwise, i need to push for the establishment of a "grown-up discussions only" forum. . .

maybe it's just me, but i like to go to the "other teams" forum and be able to have a semi-serious conversation about what the QB situation of the chiefs, browns, or any other team is going to be for next year, without it degenerating into a pissing match. . . at the very least, i think people should respect the thread starter if he or she specifically says "no smack in this thread" or something to that effect-- and i think the mods should be available to clean up such threads at the OP's request, if they feel the rules have been violated. .

I see you have been starting at Lenin and Alba again...

Well at least the former rather than the latter. I suppose you can say that Lenin there is my idea of a sick joke (in fact it somewhat is). To discourage little boys from getting "happy" about Jessica - LOL. They get to stare at Lenin as well. Not so "happy" now are ya boy?! LOL

Well, back to that about other teams forum.

I generally agree with what you posted. However, I do not think that a Disclaimer should be needed at the start of every thread because in my experience when I post a Disclaimer it only makes them act up more.

I think the rules are pretty straightforwards. Smack goes into the Smack forum - that is all. No other place should ahve it. Other Teams (other than Broncos) should be discussed in the Other Teams forum - as it is now. I am sick and tired of people going into the Other Teams forum saying not to post Other Team news and to "go to your own board". Such statements are innapriate and constitute smack. If they have an issue with other fans posting on this board - they can take it up in the Smack Forum. Or with the Moderators...

I do not feel people should be forced into putting a disclaimer about what they are posting in the Other Teams forum because it is apparant what that forum is intended for. For discussing (non-smack) other teams.

MOtorboat
01-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I see you have been starting at Lenin and Alba again...

Well at least the former rather than the latter. I suppose you can say that Lenin there is my idea of a sick joke (in fact it somewhat is). To discourage little boys from getting "happy" about Jessica - LOL. They get to stare at Lenin as well. Not so "happy" now are ya boy?! LOL

Well, back to that about other teams forum.

I generally agree with what you posted. However, I do not think that a Disclaimer should be needed at the start of every thread because in my experience when I post a Disclaimer it only makes them act up more.

I think the rules are pretty straightforwards. Smack goes into the Smack forum - that is all. No other place should ahve it. Other Teams (other than Broncos) should be discussed in the Other Teams forum - as it is now. I am sick and tired of people going into the Other Teams forum saying not to post Other Team news and to "go to your own board". Such statements are innapriate and constitute smack. If they have an issue with other fans posting on this board - they can take it up in the Smack Forum. Or with the Moderators...

I do not feel people should be forced into putting a disclaimer about what they are posting in the Other Teams forum because it is apparant what that forum is intended for. For discussing (non-smack) other teams.

I'm just totally confused by you. You want us to refrain from pointing out that the Browns haven't won a Championship in 43 years when you post something as absurd as the Browns losing their heritage for doing as little as changing their uniform.

Then, when it is pointed out and the Browns are called the "Brownies," which is apparently smack talk to you, you come crying to the mods and complaining about it being smack talk? You seriously need a thicker skin.

Make us look like the bad guys because we disagree with you. Everything was clean and should be taken in good fun. If you can't handle that, then I suggest you leave.

Bronco9798
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm just totally confused by you. You want us to refrain from pointing out that the Browns haven't won a Championship in 43 years when you post something as absurd as the Browns losing their heritage for doing as little as changing their uniform.

Then, when it is pointed out and the Browns are called the "Brownies," which is apparently smack talk to you, you come crying to the mods and complaining about it being smack talk? You seriously need a thicker skin.

Make us look like the bad guys because we disagree with you. Everything was clean and should be taken in good fun. If you can't handle that, then I suggest you leave.

Can somebody give MB a podium. I agree.

slim
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM

I agree...there is no reason for little jabs to be taken seriously. It's all in good fun. Some people are just too sensitive.

MOtorboat
01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I agree...there is no reason for little jabs to be taken seriously. It's all in good fun. Some people are just too sensitive.

We're talking about the same guy who threw a hissy fit because he doesn't want to admit that the Browns had an expansion draft in 1999...

Bronco9798
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Drama Queen. Every board has them.

frauschieze
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Can somebody give MB a podium. I agree.

Make sure it's an extra tall one and bring the step stool.

rcsodak
01-11-2008, 12:33 AM
What I originally was going to put was quite a bit worse...

But I didn't want to offend anyone. ;)

Like porn sites & stripppers? :eek:

Cleveland Rocks
01-11-2008, 01:45 AM
See what I am talking about? Did I post smack in this feedback - no. They saw me post in here agreeing with DevilSpawn - so they come in swinging.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
01-11-2008, 02:34 AM
See what I am talking about? Did I post smack in this feedback - no. They saw me post in here agreeing with DevilSpawn - so they come in swinging.

you know the main reason we make fun of your brownies is because the way you act after a simple joke. atleast thats my reason. i mean look at you. your hilarious, the way you cry about every non positive browns comment.

Everything isnt smack. Were just kidding most of the time. please stop acting like a little french school girl and be a man for once.

BroncoBJ
01-11-2008, 02:40 AM
you know the main reason we make fun of your brownies is because the way you act after a simple joke. atleast thats my reason. i mean look at you. your hilarious, the way you cry about every non positive browns comment.

Everything isnt smack. Were just kidding most of the time. please stop acting like a little french school girl and be a man for once.

:lol: little french school girl. Classic.
Yea its the internet.

It shouldn't be too hard to not cry over little comments.

atwater27
01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
So my pic in my sig got "reported" for being too long of a sig so that the person had to do "extra scrolling" to get past my posts.
Honestly. Reported????
Well, I will change my sig, but whomever cried about the pictures needs to reevaluate their priorities. And their manhood.

Ricky
01-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Don't whine atwater27, just conform. Resistance is futile.