PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels offers refreshing show of enthusiasm

Denver Native (Carol)
10-11-2009, 11:07 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-winnersandlosers101109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

First came the hugging. Then came the four screaming fist-pumps and the always crowd-pleasing double-fist shake. Then Josh McDaniels jumped into the arms of defensive end Kenny Peterson(notes) the way a 4-year old kid dives into a pile of leaves.

Time-permitting, the Denver Broncos head coach might have ripped off his shirt Hulk Hogan-style and proclaimed he was going to Disneyland.

It was one of the rarest sights you’ll ever see in an NFL October – a Super Bowl-style celebration after a Week 5 victory. To some, McDaniels’ pure merriment after Sunday’s 20-17 overtime win over New England might have seemed a tad disrespectful. Maybe even a little amateur. But I think it’s exactly what this league needs. And the fact that it came after cameras showed Bill Belichick sour-mugging his way off the field only made it more refreshing.

Maybe it didn’t fall perfectly into the coaches mantra of “acting like you’ve been there before,” but it was true emotion in the moment. And in a league where deception and forced composure is viral among head coaches, we should all take unbridled enthusiasm where we can get it. We need some McDaniels joy. We need some good-natured trash-talking, a la the New York Jets’ Rex Ryan. We need someone to say, “It’s OK not to do it like New England. I’m going to be me.”

And for a moment, McDaniels delivered just that, reacting in true fashion to what has been a monumental start. Not only did Sunday’s win over the Patriots push his team to a stunningly unpredictable 5-0 start, but it thrust the Broncos into the “contender” conversation. Their record is no longer propped up on the league’s also-rans. Even if you didn’t think beating Dallas last week was all that impressive, you have to respect a win over New England. Particularly when you know how Belichick feels about facing his former assistant coaches.

Now you look at Denver, and all of the offseason issues couldn’t seem more distant. Jay Cutler? He might as well be Jake Plummer. In five weeks, McDaniels and the Broncos have found a way to make all the negativity dissipate. Wideout Brandon Marshall is beloved again. And Kyle Orton? His numbers through five games, factored along with the undefeated start, have to put him in the league’s top 10 quarterback conversation. Unthinkable, but true.

So McDaniels has earned the right for a little celebration. He’s deserving of some unbridled passion. But if you’d rather have a guy with a dead-fish handshake and who coaches like he’s auditing your taxes, I can think of a few places for you. In a refreshing turn, Denver isn’t it.

GEM
10-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Above all else, I effing LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Josh McDaniels.

horsepig
10-11-2009, 11:40 PM
He's also trying to keep the Mile-Hi maniacs involved. He just swayed a whole lot of undecided fans to his side (plus beating the Patsies and going to 5-0)

Day1BroncoFan
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
What McD offers is more than just merely refreshing, it's invigorating.

Dman444
10-11-2009, 11:44 PM
It's hilarious how the Cutler talk has dissipated so quickly.

Day1BroncoFan
10-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Who the hell is cutler?

gobroncsnv
10-11-2009, 11:59 PM
He's the guy who turned into Kyle Orton, Alphonso Smith, Robert Ayers, and our #1 draft pick for next year. I seen it on TV...

weazel
10-12-2009, 12:16 AM
I thought it was pretty funny the way Belichick was wandering around looking for McDaniels... I dont know why I thought it was so funny but I couldnt stop laughing watching him stop and look around with that pissy ass grin.

GEM
10-12-2009, 01:08 AM
I thought it was pretty funny the way Belichick was wandering around looking for McDaniels... I dont know why I thought it was so funny but I couldnt stop laughing watching him stop and look around with that pissy ass grin.

We need to clear that up. According to Fox Sports, McDaniels and Belicheck had agreed before the game NOT to meet in the middle in order to avoid the media circus that would have been created. They wanted to avoid all the bs the media stirred up everytime Belicheck met up with Mangini, Crennel, etc.

milehigh
10-12-2009, 01:35 AM
We need to clear that up. According to Fox Sports, McDaniels and Belicheck had agreed before the game NOT to meet in the middle in order to avoid the media circus that would have been created. They wanted to avoid all the bs the media stirred up everytime Belicheck met up with Mangini, Crennel, etc.

Yep Josh even mentioned it in his post game presser. He said they agreed to wave and he did just that.

dogfish
10-12-2009, 01:58 AM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3716/nflumcdaniels300.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/i/nflumcdaniels300.jpg/)

milehigh
10-12-2009, 02:09 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ufeCLc5nRLM/SdJUY_8A1tI/AAAAAAAABnk/uXOXfdJK_4s/s400/willferrell-weddingcrashers.jpg

broncophan
10-12-2009, 02:32 AM
I would imagine our special teams coach was showing a little enthusiasm after the win as well...:)

threefolddead
10-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Josh can celebrate like that all year long. What coach goes out on the field and thanks the fans and show that he is stoked to have won another game? It's no act of disrespect it's the same emotion that we all watch this game for and Josh has it too. For me, that just makes it evident that this team and this coach are just as fired up and passionate about this game as we are, the fans.

Dirk
10-12-2009, 06:02 AM
I agree. It's down right fantastic to see the coach of your team celebrate like that!

I just wish I was Photoshop savvy so I could find his four fist pumps in front of the crowd to have as an animated .gif for my sig. Maybe one day I will figure all that stuff out. ha!

Anyway.....go McD go!!

Watchthemiddle
10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Enthusiasm is contageous.

McDaniels brings it to the entire team.

B Dawk obviously brings it to the D.

I think the message around the locker room was stale. The guys are reacting to this because it is so new and refreshing.

From day one there was no doubt in my mind that this was the correct hire.

I think we are ALL seeing that now.