PDA

View Full Version : RMN: Team Report

TXBRONC
12-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I just wanted to pass this along.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/21/thursdays-broncos-report-tough-task-defense/

Broncos report
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Friday, December 21, 2007

Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images

Adrian Peterson hopes to feast on the Broncos' subpar run defense in the final two games.

Doug Pensinger / Getty Images

LaDainian Tomlinson hopes to feast on the Broncos' subpar run defense in the final two games.

Ho, ho . . . oh, no.

It's Christmas Eve with the Chargers' LaDainian Tomlinson.

It's the Vikings' Adrian Peterson around New Year's.

And for a Broncos run defense that consistently has struggled, facing arguably the league's two most explosive backs to close a disappointing season could be a frightful way to spend the holidays.

"It's probably the two best backs in the game. We all know what LaDainian Tomlinson can do and Adrian Peterson's from another planet," Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil said. "It's going to be all day, all night."

There have been five individual 100-yard rushing games against the Broncos this season: LaMont Jordan (159), Joseph Addai (136), Michael Turner (147), Ryan Grant (104) and Justin Fargas (146). San Diego already has one of three 200-yard rushing performances this season against the Broncos, who have held a team under triple figures only twice this season.

"It's a task," defensive end Tim Crowder said of facing Tomlinson and Peterson in consecutive weeks. "Every week is tough, but there's a reason they're in the Pro Bowl. You're going against the best. They're going to give it their best shot, and we're going to give it ours."

Get 'er done

There has been a lot of talk this week about the source of motivation with the Broncos officially eliminated from playoff contention.

But Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey warned anyone mailing it in for the remainder of the season will feel individual repercussions.

"We don't have a lot to play for as a team, but as a player, as your career goes, you don't want to put things bad on tape," Bailey said.

"People don't forget the heart and pride you show out there on that field when you don't have anything to fight for. I've been in this situation before, and the one thing I won't do is turn out the lights."

The pride factor might kick in this week because of recent history. The Chargers completely dismantled the Broncos by 38 points Oct. 7 and have clinched their second straight AFC West title.

"Obviously, they're playing better football than us this year and last year, so we have something to show, something to prove," quarterback Jay Cutler said.

Super-charged

There was everything but pitchforks and torches in the streets of San Diego after the Chargers' slow start in September, but things since have calmed down, with a No. 3 playoff seed possible.

San Diego is the 21st team since 1990 to start 1-3 or worse and make the playoffs and the 11th team to win its division after one victory or none in the first four games.

"We weren't playing as poorly as people thought we were," said coach Norv Turner, in his first year with the Chargers. "And we just started taking care of the football, didn't give up as many big plays and have done the things you have to do to be a good football team."

Turner also pointed to the 41-3 win against the Broncos as the game that jump-started San Diego's season.

No trip necessary

Brandon Marshall failed to make the Pro Bowl or even be voted as an alternate this week despite some gaudy numbers: a team-leading 86 catches, 1,136 yards and six touchdowns.

But Marshall, who talked about wanting Super Bowls instead, claimed the recognition of being named an "all-star" itself is meaningless.

"I know myself. I don't need anyone to tell me what I'm capable of doing or my potential," he said. "I knew since the first time I picked up a football. So I don't need any coaches, any players around the league or my peers to tell me what I can do. I know what I can do."

Injury report

* Tight end Daniel Graham (left ankle) likely will return to practice today after sitting out two days. Graham still is holding out hope of playing Monday.

* Linebacker Ian Gold (right knee) sat out his second straight workout. Jamie Winborn could start in his place.

* Receiver Brandon Stokley (right knee) was limited Thursday.

Etc.

* Paul Ernster doesn't just figure to punt and kick off Monday. He could be a triple threat. Ernster figures to sub for the since-departed Todd Sauerbrun as the holder on placements and field goals.

* In 2005 and 2006, the Broncos won at least five games on the road in two straight seasons for the first time in more than 20 years. But with a loss Monday, the Broncos would fall to 2-6 - which would be their worst mark away from Denver since 2001.

* The Broncos have scored touchdowns on their opening drive in three of the past five games after doing it only once in the first nine contests.

Bad company

With a Chargers field goal Monday, the Broncos will pass their 2000 team for the most points allowed under Shanahan. The team also is on the cusp of joining the top-10 worst scoring defenses in club history with two games remaining.

allowed Year

473 1963

438 1964

432 1961

409 1967

404 1968

allowed Year

396 1994

393 1960

392 1965

381 1966

374 1990

367 2007

Subscribe to the Rocky Mountain News

Stand Ablaze
12-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the read TX. :salute:

I really hope our D can at least contain these backs. I'm not expecting it though.

Lonestar
12-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the read TX. :salute:

I really hope our D can at least contain these backs. I'm not expecting it though.

LT and his back up might get another 200

Then I see MIN setting a new NFL record on us..

These both could get ugly quick if we do not get up by a bunch of points first.

DenBronx
12-22-2007, 12:17 AM
ugly quick is right. i see them both winning by a long shot.

peterson should go for about 300 yards. :laugh:

Stargazer
12-22-2007, 04:28 AM
So the defense is uber bad and the final two rb's have a chance to have a field day against Denver's D.:laugh:

TXBRONC
12-22-2007, 05:23 PM
So the defense is uber bad and the final two rb's have a chance to have a field day against Denver's D.:laugh:

That's been the theme all year unfortunately. :eek:

arapaho2
12-23-2007, 01:16 AM
That's been the theme all year unfortunately. :eek:

lets hear it for bates!!!

Bronco4ever
12-23-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm just hoping we can pull off one of these final games. Both the Vikes and the Chuggers are playing pretty well as of late and it would give me some promise for next year if we could steal one of the games. We are in the position to play spoiler for both of these teams, so I hope we can atleast shake up the playoff race a little bit.

TXBRONC
12-23-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm just hoping we can pull off one of these final games. Both the Vikes and the Chuggers are playing pretty well as of late and it would give me some promise for next year if we could steal one of the games. We are in the position to play spoiler for both of these teams, so I hope we can atleast shake up the playoff race a little bit.

I'm not sure there is much we can spoil for the Chargers, they've already clinched the division. Beating the Vikings might keep them out of the playoffs but I'm not sure.

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 08:38 PM
What a sad season. Never dreamed we wold be in this position during the off-season. I really though we be contending for the division title and at least a chance to compete during the playoffs.