View Full Version : Good Article on Chris Myers

dogfish
12-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Myers a mirror image

Chris Myers steps into Tom Nalen's center spot and becomes line's leader
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/21/2007 02:19:13 AM MST

If there is a meeting or practice time changed at Dove Valley, the Broncos' offensive linemen know they're covered. Chris Myers is on the case.

The third-year player, with all of 14 games as a starter, has taken over as the de facto leader of the offensive line.

"He has become our general," Denver right guard Montrae Holland said. "He is the guy who is in charge of getting us all together."

Myers, 26, figures he has no choice.

"It goes with the territory," he said. "That's just what a center does. You have to lead. You have to do what it takes."

Doing what it takes has been Myers' mantra. Until left guard Ben Hamilton went down with what turned out to be a season-ending concussion, Myers was known as a typical Broncos' lineman of the future. He was tough, smart, agile — and waiting for a shot. A nice down-the-road project to tuck away on the roster.

Myers didn't play on the offensive line in a regular-season NFL game until he had to, replacing Hamilton, who was sidelined with concussions, at left guard to start the season. And then, just when he began feeling comfortable, Myers had to change again, taking over at center for the veteran leader on the line, Tom Nalen.

"It's been a big jump in responsibility," Myers said. "Early on, when I was playing guard, the game was very fast for me, and just not trying to mess up, I think I didn't use my technique very well. Now, I'm comfortable and I'm able to use my technique and do the things I know I can do."

Nalen went down with a season-ending biceps injury Oct. 7 against San Diego. Through the quarterback parade of John Elway to Bubby Brister to Brian Griese to Jake Plummer to Jay Cutler, Nalen was a constant, snapping the ball. Since 1995, only Nalen and Hamilton had played center for Denver, Hamilton having provided relief when Nalen suffered a knee injury in 2002. Through the glory years of the Broncos' offensive line, Nalen was the face of the line, a potential Hall of Famer who mastered blocking techniques.

Perhaps easing everyone's concerns, most notably those of head coach Mike Shanahan and quarterback Jay Cutler, was Myers' can-do attitude. He had played multiple positions at the University of Miami. When forced to take over for Nalen, he showed a maturity not often found in a player with only five career starts. He had built a rhythm with Cutler during training camp when Nalen took many afternoon sessions off as a concession to age.

Coaches became confident Myers could eventually succeed in a starting role when he performed well in the 2006 preseason finale at Arizona. The Cardinals used their first-team players for three quarters and Myers played the entire game.

Broncos offensive coordinator and line coach Rick Dennison said Myers wasn't overwhelmed by his promotion because of his collegiate experience, which included 38 consecutive starts.
"The best thing you can say about an offensive lineman is that you don't notice him," Dennison said. "You want to notice the guys who pass, catch and run with the ball, but not the guys up front. And Chris hasn't been noticed. That's a good thing. He's done everything we've asked him to do."

It's yet to be seen if Myers will hold onto his starting spot next season should both Nalen and Hamilton be recovered and ready to play. Myers knows he'll face a battle to stay on the field.

"Tom is one of the strongest human beings I've seen and he can play for another 5-10 years," Myers said. "Ben is a very consistent player. We want those guys back."

A restricted free agent, Myers might be in position to land a long-term contract should the Broncos view him as someone who can give them quality playing time at either guard or center for years to come.

"I'm not worrying about money or the future," Myers said. "I can't believe I'm playing in the NFL. I'm having so much fun."

Whatever happens, Myers is comfortable knowing he can be a big part of a youthful offense.

"We do have a lot of young talent," Myers said. "This is going to be our team down the road and we're helping out as much as we can now."

__________________________________________________ ____________

It's always nice to see young guys stepping into leadership roles, especially with the transition we're looking at on the O-line. . . it can't be easy to play two different positions and make all the line calls in your first year as a starter, but i think he's handled it well. . . his humble attitude and desire to work and get better remind me of another guy who had a pretty good career here in denver-- a guy who wears # 80 on his jersey. . . his versatility gives him added value, and i think he's earned a long-term role on the team. . . i'm betting that he'll get a contrct extension pretty soon here, unless they intend to tender him as an RFA and do it next year. . . .

Tned
12-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Good article. I bet Myer's dad has enjoyed this season, even as bad as it has been overall. His kid got a chance to step up.

It will be interesting to see what the makeup of the line is next training camp. Will Hamilton be recovered and back? Will Nalen come back from the injury? Will Myer's move to RG or LG?

Broncos Mtnman
12-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Good article. I bet Myer's dad has enjoyed this season, even as bad as it has been overall. His kid got a chance to step up.

It will be interesting to see what the makeup of the line is next training camp. Will Hamilton be recovered and back? Will Nalen come back from the injury? Will Myer's move to RG or LG?

Not to get off topic, but Shanny was quoted in today's paper that he expects Hamilton to be ready to play again by camp.

Nice article, dog!!

Requiem / The Dagda
12-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the news. I remember riding my bike back from my Grandparents to catch the selection, and about pooped myself when we took Myers. He was someone I thought was worthy of much earlier selections. Hopefully he sticks around.

TXBRONC
12-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Not to get off topic, but Shanny was quoted in today's paper that he expects Hamilton to be ready to play again by camp.

Nice article, dog!!

I sure hope Shanahan is right.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
He's probably not. Same injury stories over and over.

DenBronx
12-22-2007, 01:17 PM
i like that myers can play guard and center. with some of these guys getting up in age or not doing a good job this leaves myers to transition into either position if he needs to. this makes him even more valuable to the team. so far though he seems to do his best playing at center. so if nalen does retire i think we will be ok at center. hamilton and myers i think will battle it out for the starting job and maybe they bring in another center/guard through the draft on the 2nd day.

Retired_Member_001
12-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the news. I remember riding my bike back from my Grandparents to catch the selection, and about pooped myself when we took Myers. He was someone I thought was worthy of much earlier selections. Hopefully he sticks around.

Another season of poor pass protection here we come!

TXBRONC
12-22-2007, 08:57 PM
He's probably not. Same injury stories over and over.

Shanahan probably knows more about Hamilton's medical condition than we do.

Simple Jaded
12-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Another season of poor pass protection here we come!

Exactly! How does a 280lb center let a 345lb DT beat him so cleanly off the snap that the QB damn near gets his lower leg snapped before he can complete a 3 step drop?

I am really starting to hope the Broncos decide to go in a different direction. Same with Hamilton......

Joel
12-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Centers tend to be a little lighter than other guards anyway because they need mobility to a similar extent tackles do, if for different reasons. If you want bulk, look to the guards, because very few truly huge guys have the agility to play tackle or center in the NFL.

Personally, I'm really psyched about the Two Chrisses now that they've had some playing time, and only expect them to get better as they receive more. They aren't stars yet by any means, but they've showed some nice promise, particularly for two guys making their first starts on what we should all realize is a patchwork line right now (the only guy starting now who started in week 1 of '06 is Lepsis). And, once again, another nice thing about them is that, while it wasn't in the NFL, they've BOTH played ALL offensive line positions at some point. I was kind of hoping they were grooming Myers to be the next Ben Hamilton (quality starting LG, reliable backup C) for when Nalen finally hangs it up (which he might well do this year, not that I've heard anything) and it seems that's precisely the route they're going. If Hamilton and Nalen make a full recovery we'll likely see an epic fight over the RG position come training camp, with an outcome eminently satisfying regardless of its specifics.

Hawgdriver
12-24-2007, 07:29 PM
His maturity and confidence are striking, I'm glad he's anchoring the line. Great article, thanks hopper.