PDA

View Full Version : Busy day ahead for the fans of Denver teams

Lonestar
10-11-2009, 01:52 PM
With the Broncos and Rockies playing huge games at home, cheers will be widespread.
By John Ingold
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
:

Pace yourselves.

Sure, this is one of the biggest sports days in Denver history, with a key Broncos home game followed by a pivotal Rockies playoff game. A harmonic convergence of pigskin and cowhide. Purple passion meets Orange Crush.

But this is not a day for a fan base to run out of get-up with time still to go. So put together a plan. Maybe give some thought to your diet.

For instance, Matt Collier, who will be doing the "Denver Double" today, said he'll probably only tailgate for an hour or so before the Broncos game instead of two or three. And when it comes to food, he plans to go easy on stadium grub.

"Hot dogs and beer can only go so long," said Collier, an Aurora native.

Also give some consideration to physical conditioning so you can perform at your peak and recover quickly after what promises to be seven or eight hours of fandemonium. Put hot water with lemon in your Thermos, for a change.

"The only thing I'm worried about is my voice being a little hoarse Monday morning," said Brian Peagler, a Denver software consultant who is also doing the double today. "I'm flying out to Cincinnati first thing Monday morning for some client work."

Here's hoping his visual aids speak for themselves.

And have a transportation strategy. The more time you spend walking, the less time you spend rocking.

Jackson's sports bar — across the street from Coors Field — will run a shuttle bus to and from the Broncos game. And if those free-riding fans happen to stop into the bar for a little liquid booster between games, general manager Scott Minshall wouldn't mind.

"We think from 5 to 8 (p.m.) it's going to be wall to wall," Minshall said.

At least the weather will be more fan-friendly today, when the high temperature is expected to reach around 50 and temps for the Rockies game will be in the upper 30s.

Saturday's

The Rockies face Charlie Manuel's Phillies in Game 3 of the NLDS this evening at Coors Field. (Getty Images file photo)temperatures prompted one of the few freeze-outs in postseason baseball history. The low temperature of 17 degrees at Denver International Airport broke a 104-year-old record. The high of 26 set a Denver record for lowest maximum temperature on Oct. 10.

The weather, though, also played havoc on some fans' well-crafted weekend plans. Dan Spreitzer found himself giving up two Rockies Game 3 tickets Saturday because his children, who had planned to attend the game with him Saturday night, have to work during game time today. And his wife now can't go to Game 4 with him after it was moved to Monday.

"It's caused some problems," said Spreitzer. "But we'll work around it."

By and large, fans seemed relieved that Saturday's game got pushed back. Bonnie and Jim Smith, who drove from Rapid City, S.D., to watch the Broncos game today and were wearing Rockies sweat shirts inside Jackson's on Saturday, were relieved on behalf of Rockies fans. They had tried to get tickets to the game this month, but, looking outside, were grateful they had missed out.

"It's probably just as well that they postponed it," Bonnie Smith said. "It would be pretty miserable sitting out there."

Misery hopefully won't be the distinguishing feature of today's fan experience. But overload might.

Saturday morning, a Boulder man offered up his Rockies Game 4 tickets on Twitter. Between the Broncos game, the Rockies games and other events, he wrote, "I'm all sported out."

Collier, the Aurora fan, said he thinks fans will be able to keep up the intensity for both games today — as long as the games remain competitive.

Which brings up the last bit of advice for today: Push through the pain. And remember this: At least you don't cheer for teams in Oakland.

"It's exciting; we're kind of spoiled here to have such good teams," Collier said. "It's nice to be in Colorado for this stuff."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13535632?source=rss#

BroncoAV06
10-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Only thing wrong with that article is the quote from the man who is "all sported out", are you kidding me?

It would be crazy no doubt but I would love to be downtown Denver/Lodo today hitting up all the bars etc!

Bronco Warrior
10-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm not a drinker and that would still wear me out doing both! but i'm old so maybe that's it!