PDA

View Full Version : Just a matter of time

SR
12-21-2007, 06:02 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3162835

1. Brandon Marshall, WR, Denver: The man whose size (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) and athleticism earned him the nickname "Baby T.O." has delighted Broncos fans in his second season. Marshall already has 86 receptions and 1,136 yards and he's becoming a bigger target in the Denver offense each week (he's caught 21 passes in the Broncos' past two games). The key? Marshall apparently loves being the No. 1 option in an offense.

"If you show Brandon that you believe in him," said LSU receivers coach D.J. McCarthy, who coached Marshall at Central Florida, "he'll do anything for you."

The Broncos certainly can see that now. When injuries sidelined Rod Smith and Javon Walker earlier this year, Marshall developed a natural chemistry with quarterback Jay Cutler that could make this pair one of the more dangerous combinations in the NFL for the next 10 years. The bottom line: Marshall should be downright scary with the confidence he has gained this season.

TXBRONC
12-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the article SR and I couldn't agree more.

Escobar
12-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Im scared of the dude LOL

Broncos Mtnman
12-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I think Cutler-to-Marshall is going to be heard in these parts for many years to come.

Marshall proved to be exactly the kind of player this coach talked about. It's pretty cool too, considering the flak he took during camp for not playing through his pain after getting injured.

Bronco fans HAVE to be excited about what he might do in the future.

:beer:

broncosfanscott
12-21-2007, 09:46 PM
I think Cutler-to-Marshall is going to be heard in these parts for many years to come.

Marshall proved to be exactly the kind of player this coach talked about. It's pretty cool too, considering the flak he took during camp for not playing through his pain after getting injured.

He has stepped up big time this year when a lot was asked of him and with Cutler throwing to him, it will be fun to watch.

Despite how the team played this year I am very pleased with how the young talent is developing.

Lonestar
12-21-2007, 10:37 PM

He has stepped up big time this year when a lot was asked of him and with Cutler throwing to him, it will be fun to watch.

Despite how the team played this year I am very pleased with how the young talent is developing.

I have been overjoyed to see how these two and a few others have gotten experience this past year..

If they (broncs) can master the redzone issues they have this team if mikey can keep them together have a REAL strong nuclei to build on for the next 5-12 years..

dogfish
12-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Broncos second-year WR Marshall maximizing his opportunity

Far from lost in the wake of a disappointing season in Denver is the progress shown by second-year WR Brandon Marshall, who has gone from providing glimpses of his rare potential late in his rookie campaign to the very definition of a full-fledged No. 1 wideout in the NFL. Javon Walker’s ailing knee has been a major reason Marshall has gotten more opportunities this season, but unlike a lot of young receivers, Marshall is taking full advantage of them. After an 11-catch performance against Houston in Week 15, Marshall has tallied 86 receptions for 1,136 yards and six touchdowns on the year and, in doing so, has developed into one of the tougher receivers to bring down after the catch. Standing 6-4 and 230 helps, but sources say his desire to fight for more yards is impressive, to say the least. “I’ve always taken pride in running after the catch and being able to make a guy miss,” Marshall told PFW prior to the Houston game. “You always try to be the best at something, and that’s something I’ve prided myself on. It’s intimidating to see a big guy running toward you, knowing that he can either run through you or run around you.” Marshall added that, along with keeping up with the demanding blocking standards in Denver set by Ed McCaffrey and Rod Smith, he is eager to add another dimension to his game. “I’m definitely going to work on stretching the field more,” he said. “I move pretty well for a guy my size, but I’ve got to start making more plays down the field and becoming a complete receiver.”

that's from PFW-- no new info, but i like marshall's quotes. . .

Joel
12-23-2007, 10:11 AM
The only thing I don't like about Marshall isn't really Marshall--it's Cutler, who's made it very obvious Brandon's his preferred first option. On the other hand, I can hardly blame him; Rod's been badly hurt or absent for all of Cutlers starts, Javon's missed most of this season and Stokley's a slot receiver, so where else is he gonna go? Honestly, with all the key injuries we've had this year, and all the talented but young players (Cutler, Marshall, Young, Dumervil, Crowder, pretty much the whole offensive line... ) I'm really surprised we've still got a shot at .500. It DOES begin to look a lot like last year though, when we were the best team that DIDN'T make the playoffs, and consequently had the worst draft position of any non-playoff team. Fortunately, we've got a lot of young talent, the injuries CAN'T be as bad as this season (though I said that in '06, too... ) and only have a few spots to fill, mainly at DT, LB and FS.

For the whole team I think it's really just a matter of time. Selvin Young's averaging >5 yards per carry in his rookie year. Cutler's PR is >90 in his second year (despite Marshall being the only WR he's had all year). All with an offensive line consisting of a second year RT, a RG from the Saints, a third year center who'd never started till this season, a second year LG who'd also never started till this season, and a great LT who missed most of last year with an injury. Imagine what these guys will do with a whole playoffs and off season to get healthy. While retaining the Leagues best secondary and some really nice DEs; if we can just get a quality NT or two and a couple good backups so I don't have to change my pants every time Lynch, Fergy or D.J. gets nicked, this is a Championship team waiting to happen.

Best thing about Marshall? He run blocks much like Rod Smith, which is a quality I desperately wanted to see as the aging Pro Bowler continues to age.

claymore
12-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Did you see that stiff arm he thre in the Texans debacle? Threw his hand out there, and the other guy just crumpled! The best thing about Marshall to me is his playmaking abilities when he has the Ball.

Lonestar
12-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Did you see that stiff arm he thre in the Texans debacle? Threw his hand out there, and the other guy just crumpled! The best thing about Marshall to me is his playmaking abilities when he has the Ball.

That also scares me he will go down witha KNEE or broken leg just to gain another yard when surrounded by tacklers..

sometimes you have to learn to fight another day..

Many RB's have been lost for seasons and careers by trying to run over people instead of trying to run around them.

gobroncsnv
12-23-2007, 08:20 PM
I think BMarsh is setting up a whole new standard for a blocking WR... I haven't seen anyone do it as well. Rod says the only thing that can hold this kid back is himself. If he can reign in some of his off-field garbage, we're talking an absolutely complete player. Get a life-coach (Rod comes to mind), LISTEN to him, stay healthy, and he could set some serious records, but better yet, win us some big games. ON the field, his biggest need is to have a consistent threat as the other WR. With that, and Stokes in the slot, (and if we could buy some time for Jay), this could get REALLY ugly for opponents in the future.

dogfish
12-23-2007, 08:24 PM

he pretty much tossed that guy to the ground like a rag doll-- dude plays WR with a linebacker mentality. . .

Timmy!
12-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Marshall is a beast and is only getting better. The only problem is, how much $$$$$ is he going to want when the contact comes up. If they Broncos were smart they'd lock him up with a long term deal this off season before his price skyrockets.

Tned
12-23-2007, 09:17 PM

He's a beast. A couple times, he has given up 5-10 yards running lateral and then back, but the guy has HUGE after the catch ability.

dogfish
12-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Marshall is a beast and is only getting better. The only problem is, how much $$$$$ is he going to want when the contact comes up. If they Broncos were smart they'd lock him up with a long term deal this off season before his price skyrockets.

nice idea in theory, but he and his agent aren't stupid-- if you know his price is going up, better believe they know it too. . .

dogfish
12-23-2007, 09:59 PM
He's a beast. A couple times, he has given up 5-10 yards running lateral and then back, but the guy has HUGE after the catch ability.

i've never seen a WR break tackles the way he does. . . NEVER! he's a tougher open field runner than most of the running backs in the league. . .

DenBronx
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM

marshall and walker need to switch contracts. theirs a glitch in the payroll account and someone needs to fix the glitch.

Bronco9798
12-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Walker needs to come back healthy and stay healthy next year. Throw Stokley in the slot, and Sheff at TE, we could be nasty on offense next year in the passing game.

Tned
12-23-2007, 11:03 PM
i've never seen a WR break tackles the way he does. . . NEVER! he's a tougher open field runner than most of the running backs in the league. . .

It's pretty exciting thinking about the fact that chances are he will get better (route running, catching, etc.), and the QB throwing to him will get better. I

dogfish
12-23-2007, 11:09 PM
marshall and walker need to switch contracts. theirs a glitch in the payroll account and someone needs to fix the glitch.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4166/1015wideke7.jpg

"now wait just a minute there professor. . . we fixed the glitch. . . "

DenBronx
12-24-2007, 12:20 AM
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4166/1015wideke7.jpg

"now wait just a minute there professor. . . we fixed the glitch. . . "

that's my favorite line from that movie....glad you got it.

sounds like somebodys got a case of the mondays...

NameUsedBefore
12-24-2007, 03:54 AM
"It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO."

"That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life."

:laugh:

One of my favorite movies.

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 04:04 AM
"It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO."

"That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life."

One of my favorite movies.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life. "

Sorry...:laugh:

:focus:

Marshall is a beast!!!!

Mike
12-24-2007, 05:24 AM
What would you do if you had a million dollars?

I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.

That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?

Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.

----

Uh...Marshall rocks?

topscribe
12-24-2007, 12:08 PM
What would you do if you had a million dollars?

I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.

That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?

Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.

----

Uh...Marshall rocks?

I wish you would have put quotation marks around that. For a minute there,
I thought that was you talking. :eek:

-----