PDA

View Full Version : Bentley's contract reduced, frees cap space

Cleveland Rocks
12-20-2007, 08:33 PM
LeCharles Bentley's contract length reduced, cap space grows for Cleveland Browns
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Mary Kay Cabot
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Browns have shortened center LeCharles Bentley's contract by three years and he can now become an unrestricted free agent after the 2008 season, according to NFL Players Association records.

The restructured deal will pay Bentley the NFL minimum for his position ($605,000) next season, but includes incentives that can earn him the $4 million he was due to make in base salary and roster bonus.

The new deal protects the Browns from having to pay Bentley $4 million in the event he can't play, yet it allows him to make up the money if he's healthy.

He's doing great," said his agent, Jonathan Feinsod. "He's ready to go."

Feinsod said Bentley is confident he'll be able to return to a starting role with the Browns next season. He'll receive $1 million bonuses after playing eight games, 12 games and 14 games.

So far, Bentley has received about $16 million from the Browns, including his $12.5 million signing bonus, roster bonuses and base salaries. His base salaries in 2009-11 totaled more than $15 million.

The new deal accelerates the remainder of Bentley's sig ning-bonus pro ration into this year, freeing up cap space for future seasons.

The Browns made a similar move this season with safety Gary Baxter, who suffered two torn patella tendons in 2006. Baxter had a six-year deal through 2010, but his contract will now be up after this season. He also accepted a pay cut from $3.5 million to $1.5 million in 2007.

LINK (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1198143269305810.xml&coll=2&thispage=1)

BaiLeY324
12-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Has he been healthy since you guys signed him?

Escobar
12-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Has he been healthy since you guys signed him?

nope......

Cleveland Rocks
12-21-2007, 12:45 AM
I think this is very good.

Browns get to recoup much of the money that would have gone towards Bentley.

Bentley's career, IMHO, is over. I know he wanted to and still does want to play for the Browns. I'd welcome him - but I do not feel that his body is there anymore. Glad to see Baxter's contract is up at the end of the year (I already knew - but didn't comment). He has been a waste of a roster spot.