PDA

View Full Version : Even if they win, the Broncos figure to look bad in their throwback uniforms Sunday

Lonestar
10-10-2009, 12:48 PM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

From left, Broncos Elvis Dumervil, Ronald Fields and Kenny Peterson walk onto the practice field Friday wearing throwback uniforms from the team's 1960 and 1961 seasons. (Courtesy of the Denver Broncos )The Broncos have no choice Sunday but to try to win ugly.

They could beat the New England Patriots by three touchdowns, and the Broncos still would look bad doing it.

How's that? Wait till a sellout crowd at Invesco Field at Mile High and a network TV audience takes one look at those vertically striped, brown-and-yellow socks.

"Yeah, those socks really threw me for a loop," said Broncos nose tackle Ron Fields, laughing.

"Well, we'll put it this way: It's a tribute to the 50th anniversary of the Broncos," Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard said. "So we're doing it to honor the players who played back in the day."

The Broncos, who practiced in the throwback uniforms Friday, say it's not true that a man is what he wears. Eight charter team members of the American Football League are playing in their 50th season, and the Broncos and Patriots are two of them.

To mark the occasion, the NFL asked the Broncos and Patriots to wear their early 1960s uniforms. Let's just say the red, white and blue Patriots with their Minuteman logo got the better end of the throwback deal.

The Broncos' franchise, meanwhile, apparently started off in a state of confusion. Brown helmets with the numerals on the side. Mustard yellow-and-brown jerseys. Brown pants with mustard-yellow piping and vertical-striped, yellow-and-brown socks.

Subtle, it ain't.

Actually, if the socks were a plain dark brown, the uniforms would be sharp, even if it's hard to see the Broncos in anything but orange and blue.

"I thought we were done with Cleveland," Fields said.

"I'm kind of feeling the look," Woodyard said. "I've never had a chance to play in brown and yellow, so I'm looking forward to it."

Can vertically striped socks help running back Knowshon Moreno run faster?

"Yeah, there might be something to it," Moreno said. "But I like the look."

Can the Broncos play well wearing mustard yellow and brown?

"It has nothing to do with how we play," Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler said. "It's definitely a fun thing. A welcome change of pace."Mike Klis:

OrangeHoof
10-10-2009, 02:35 PM
The question is whether Orton will know which ones are his teammates.

shank
10-10-2009, 03:03 PM

you're seriously posting THIS comment about a quarterback who has yet to throw an interception? :confused:

Angel
10-10-2009, 03:09 PM

He'll have no problem spotting those god-awful looking uniforms.

Reidman
10-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I cannot believe they chose not to make this a national primetime game...:tsk:

TXBRONC
10-10-2009, 04:44 PM
The socks are the only thing I don't like about the uniform but as long as they win I can live with it.

Lonestar
10-10-2009, 04:51 PM
The socks are the only thing I don't like about the uniform but as long as they win I can live with it.

when they changed uniforms back then they had a sock burning they hated them so much..:laugh:

EMB6903
10-10-2009, 05:00 PM

and good thing they didnt...

2:15 games~~~~>6:30 games

TXBRONC
10-10-2009, 05:05 PM
when they changed uniforms back then they had a sock burning they hated them so much..:laugh:

If I remember correctly a pair those original socks still exsist and is on display in Canton.

BroncoWave
10-10-2009, 05:09 PM

They can't make it a national primetime game. Flex games don't start until later in the season. The primetime games for the first several weeks are already locked in.

AgentOrange
10-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Milk Dud's pants. They're gonna be wearing Milk Dud's pants. And French's mustard jerseys.

Not very a very appetizing picture.

milehigh
10-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Maybe it's just me but im not looking forward to our primetime games. They are just going to talk about the Cutler and Marshall stories 99% of the time and overlook all the good things the organization has done this offseason and season for that matter.

Lonestar
10-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Maybe it's just me but im not looking forward to our primetime games. They are just going to talk about the Cutler and Marshall stories 99% of the time and overlook all the good things the organization has done this offseason and season for that matter.

sooner or later they will figure it out..

OR you can always log on to 850KOA and turn down the volume on the TV..

Day1BroncoFan
10-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Do they broadcast in SoCal? :D

milehigh
10-10-2009, 06:27 PM

I will give ESPN credit for dumping Kornheiser and getting Gruden, but ESPN's producers will make sure to beat a dead horse on our negative offseason topics. Oh well I don't really expect much from them, I can always put it on mute and listen to music. :cool: I rarely find a nationally written article on the Broncos where over half of it doesn't consist of McJaygate and Marshall, but I guess it's still breaking news to them.

Lonestar
10-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Do they broadcast in SoCal? :D

http://www.850koa.com/main.html

pregame starts at 1130 tomorrow..

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2009, 09:33 PM

I know Phil Simms and whoever his sidekick is, will be doing the game.

Superchop 7
10-10-2009, 10:43 PM
OUR FIRST OWNER

Born in Denver, Colorado, Howsam served as a U.S. Navy pilot during World War II. In 1959, he founded the Denver Broncos – one of the eight charter members of the AFL – along with his brother, Earl Howsam, and father, Lee Howsam. (The Howsams and the seven other original owners called themselves the "Foolish Club" for daring to take on the established NFL.) The Howsams also built Bears Stadium, which after renovation and expanded capacity became famous as the Broncos' noisy, raucous and perpetually sold-out home from 1960-2001, Mile High Stadium.

The Broncos played in the AFL from 1960-69 and then joined the NFL with completion of the NFL/AFL merger in 1970. Apart from a 7-7 season in 1962, the team suffered from poor results on the field, and the Howsam family sold the Broncos in 1964 to Gerald and Alan Phipps. But it was developing a loyal fan base, and since its first Super Bowl appearance in 1977, the Broncos have become one of the most successful operations in the NFL.

What Wiki doesn't say is this.......He shook EVERY players hand at the end of the game, MOSTLY in terrible losses, THANKED THEM for their effort. (Listening Pat ?)

You want to hate the uniforms......I DON'T, I RESPECT IT. (because of him)

So what happened to the BEARS ?

It proved that baseball belonged in Denver.

Without them....the Rockies don't exist. (speaking of heart......wow......love those guys)

What happened to BOB ?

With no MLB in Denver.

All he did.

Was build the BIG RED MACHINE. (not bad for a self proclaimed "fool")

You don't like the uniform ?

So be it.

I LOVE IT!

THANK GOD FOR THOSE PLAYERS, WITHOUT BOB AND THEM.........THE BRONCOS DON'T EXIST !!

It isn't ugly.

It's "our" history.

It's beautiful. (The ugly stray dog that comes to your home and becomes the most loved dog in the family)

The last line hit home......didn't it?

It wasn't about pedigree.

It was about heart.

Tip your cap.......shake a hand when most people wouldn't.......this is "who" we are........where we came from. (and I love the hll out of it)

This isn't........rich guy buys team to make $.

This is.......navy pilot really doesn't care what others think.

Including uniforms.

This is THE MOST treasured uniform in our history.

Recognize people,........ "recognize".

This is one day where you don't play for the guy next to you........you play for 2000 guys next to you.......from day 1, 50 years ago.

They are the true hero's.

You wanna bring the best team on the planet to "our" town ?

On the "day" we honor them ?

Bring em.

Superchop 7
10-11-2009, 12:31 AM
The next owners.....

Allan & Gerald Phipps
BIOGRAPHY- ALLAN & GERALD PHIPPS

Allan and Gerald Phipps will forever be remembered in Colorado as saviors. From their ownership of the Denver Broncos to the innovation that has preserved the Winter Park ski area, one cannot look at the history of Colorado and not find evidence of the Phipps brother’s outstanding accomplishments.

The Phipps family has for generations been a landmark in Colorado history. Allan & Gerald’s father, Lawrence C. Phipps Sr., set the stage as a former U.S. Senator from Colorado, and their mother, Margaret Rogers Phipps, was the founder and president of the Denver Symphony.

The two brothers, of very different temperaments, were both born in Denver. Allan on October 3rd, 1912, and Gerald on March 4, 1915. Being sons of a United States Senator, the two brothers grew up in Washington D.C., spending summers and holidays in Colorado.

Scholarly Allan, a straight A student, attended Oxford University in England and the University of Denver Law School. Gerald studied English at Williams College in Massachusetts and has been quoted as saying he settled for “gentleman’s grades.” Allan went on to practice Law for the Denver Tramway Co. and Gerald went to work for the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway.

The two brothers loved Denver and Gerald often joked it would take an act of congress to get them to leave, he was right. When Congress declared war on Japan the brothers joined the Navy. Allan served as a Lt. Commander in the south pacific and Gerald served in a government official position in Washington D.C. After the war the two brothers returned to Colorado, Allan to practice Law, and Gerald to start his own construction business. Gerald H. Phipps, Inc. built the Boettcher Conservatory at the Botanic Gardens, the business administration and general classroom buildings at the University of Denver, and more recently the company has begun work on the new Denver Bronco football stadium.

Inseparable in their youth, there was never any question the two brothers would be there for each other in times of crisis. So it is no surprise that in 1964 when the Broncos had finished 2-11-1 and had just 8,002 season ticket holders, and the city of Atlanta was knocking at the franchise door, that Gerald called his brother Allan to help purchase the Broncos, and keep the team in the state of Colorado. Gerald and Allan Phipps borrowed 1.5 million dollars, formed Rocky Mountain Sports Inc., and bought out the other franchise owners. Except for 1% of the stock that was held by the brother’s attorney, they were the sole proprietors of an unpopular AFL franchise. A week later 941 additional season tickets were purchased, and in one-year tickets sales jumped from 8,002 season ticket holders, to 22,905 at the beginning of the next season. Five years later marked the birth of the infamous Denver Bronco ticket waiting list.

WHAT it doesn't say.....

Bronco's were headed to Atlanta......

It was a done deal.

Except........a Bronco fan......at the last possible moment.........said......."how much?"

He knew he was going to lose money.

He didn't care.

It was the most "unexpected" moment in Colorado sports.

Funny thing.

People found out what he did.

This was the exact moment "Broncos Country" was born.

WE

responded.

It was a tidal wave.

Of respect.

Ticket sales soared.

Why?

Because one man stood up.

Did something "foolish"

Just like the last guy.

(and don't you friggin love it......that Gerald Phipps built the new stadium)

stray dogs.......gotta love em.

( there is zero copyright on my words, borrow them at will )

Superchop 7
10-11-2009, 12:55 AM
So now......

We have Pat Bowlen.....

Once again........foolish.

He bought the team from "Edgar Kaiser" (see scumbag of the century)

What did Kaiser do ?

Charged him millions in interest for a short term loan.

Made him sign a "right of first refusal" for "any" interest in the Broncos.

This is "why" John doesn't own a piece of the Broncos. (despite a promise to John for a small ownership)

Kaiser took him to court.

Had his attorney embarass John Elway for losing in the Superbowl.

This is why Pat wil not sell one cent of the Bronco's till that ******* dies.

Because he saw John lose it on the stands for that comment.

Pat is one of us.

Took a foolish deal.

With a big heart.

And once again......rewarded for his efforts.

Some things never change.

Except for one owner.....we have been blessed........beyond reason.......only for the love of the game.

Den21vsBal19
10-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I like the jersey, can live with the pants, but the socks............................................. ............ :vomit:

Especially when twisted, severe motion sickness :lol:

broncophan
10-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Those uni's looked alot better at the end of the game than they did at the beginning of the game...

Den21vsBal19
10-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Hell, I don't care if they play in pink tutu's as long as they keep competing that hard :lol:

Italianmobstr7
10-11-2009, 07:00 PM
They looked pretty damn good to me. I like the throwbacks! GO BRONCOS!!! 5-0!!!

Medford Bronco
10-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I love the puke unis.

It got me a lot of respect in Pats land this week.

If they got rid of the socks they would be almost respectable :lol:

TXBRONC
10-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I like the jersey, can live with the pants, but the socks............................................. ............ :vomit:

Especially when twisted, severe motion sickness :lol:

I don't mind the uniforms but their were a couple of occassions I thought for split second that flag had been thrown when if fact is was a Denver player.

Lonestar
10-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't mind the uniforms but their were a couple of occassions I thought for split second that flag had been thrown when if fact is was a Denver player.

Glad you brought that up

I saw that 6-7 times my self only to see it was a glove waving in the air.. scared the crap pout of me a bunch of times..

gnomeflinger
10-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I love those socks. I want a pair for me.