PDA

View Full Version : Watch for the Randy Moss-Champ Bailey head-to-head matchup this weekend

Lonestar
10-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Analysis: Watch for the Randy Moss-Champ Bailey head-to-head matchup this weekend
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 10/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

It's difficult to know how the game-planning will play out, but here's hoping that Champ Bailey and Randy Moss are matched up plenty Sunday.

Moss scored his 137th career touchdown last weekend, moving him into sixth place all time. He is second all-time in receiving yards per game among players who have appeared in at least 100 games. Now in his 12th season, Moss still possesses the kind of speed, reach and ability to adjust to the ball in the air that makes plenty of defensive backs nervous.

Bailey has been named to eight Pro Bowls in his career, and though he often spends his time watching the ball go the other way in the Broncos defense, he showed last weekend he is an elite player when people do decide to finally challenge him.

Which is why, solely from a football perspective, it would be good to see those two go at it in coverage over and over again on Sunday.

In Moss you have a speed receiver who is also physically bigger than most of the defensive backs he faces, especially with his reach. He is one of the best at adjusting to the ball in the air and still possesses top-end leaping ability.

And for all of the criticism Moss has faced in his career for his behavior, it's clear he understands the position he plays. He knows how to set up a defensive back and shield the ball at the most opportune time so only he has the play on it.

Bailey has been one of the best in the league at adjusting from the more physical style that used to be allowed to the current don't-touch policies defensive backs now must abide by. He is one the most flexible players in the hips, so he can change direction at full speed, and he studies like a player with far less physical ability than he has.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is not reckless with the ball and wouldn't try to force the ball to Moss if the play wasn't there, but Moss leads the team in catches and yards receiving, so Brady is going to look there plenty.

The matchup was one of the best parts of last year's meeting between the two teams — before things unraveled as the Broncos simply could not stop the Patriots running game. Before Bailey left that game with a groin injury that would sideline him for much of the remainder of the season, Moss had just one catch.

After Bailey went to the sideline, Moss had two touchdowns.

"(Moss is) like night and day now that he has a good quarterback," Bailey said. "He's as fast as anybody on the field, tall, crafty — and if you're not careful, he'll make you think he's doing one thing and next thing you know he's 10 yards past you."

Jeff Legwold:
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13527787

KCL
10-10-2009, 12:49 PM
This oughta be a good game...I don't care who's playing as long as it's a good one! I love me some good football.

GO Bron...err...Go PPP.....:laugh:

Ravage!!!
10-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I hope he can stay healthy this time. Champ was AWSOME the last time, until he had to leave with hamstring... that put us in a huge bind. At least we have a solid safety back there to help out......

Bronco Warrior
10-10-2009, 01:22 PM
While it would be awesome if Champ was on Moss the whole game, It will be Goodman as much as the Pats can get it and Andre has faced Moss twice a year during his years in Miami, and has held his own quite nicely. Goodman did have 5 int's last year as many as Denver whole Secondary last year. Either side I think we have a shot at shutting down Moss..Welker will have a better game..and our sure tackling will limit his YAC!

CrazyHorse
10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I'd like to see Alphonso Smith on Wes Welker.

EMB6903
10-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd like to see Alphonso Smith on Wes Welker.

ya that was a match up I was really looking forward to as well but Smith has been limited in practice all week, So I'd expect we see more of Jack Williams on Welker.. I sure hope Alphonso is full go though.