PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Caught Up in Success

Hawgdriver
12-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Brandon Marshall is not Terrell Owens - not on the field or in the field of showmanship. But there have been some hints of individualism.Read More... (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7766063?source=rss) [Broncos] - 12/20/2007 2:20:25 AM
Marshall caught up in success
WR receptive to stardom, but right route there still needs work
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/20/2007 02:20:25 AM MST

When the Pro Bowl team was announced this week, receiver Brandon Marshall wasn't on it.

Worse things have happened to the Broncos.

Marshall has become so good, so fast, and at such a young age, it's scary. Scary in that he has the potential to turn any short-yardage slant into a broken-tackle romp to the end zone.

Scary because success is no easy burden to place upon the young.

Although he occasionally is referred to as a "Baby T.O.," Marshall is not Terrell Owens. He is not yet T.O. on the field of hash marks, or in the field of showmanship.

But Marshall has exhibited just enough hints of individualism for some of his teammates, most notably quarterback Jay Cutler, to deliver the message fame and fortune is not limited to the flamboyant and controversial.

"Brandon might do some outlandish stuff from time to time, but he knows what's wrong or right," Cutler said. "He knows how to be a pro. Sometimes he loses some concentration and does some silly stuff and I'll get on him, tell him, 'You don't want guys looking at you like this.' "

The latest incident was a brief shouting match between Marshall and receivers coach Jeremy Bates during a Monday meeting.

"We're fine, we're just trying to win football games," Bates said Wednesday.

There even was a rumor Marshall told his coach to cut him. Marshall denied the exchange went that far.

"I'm not in the position where I can throw around those type of words," said Marshall, who was participating in the team practice a few minutes after the stormy meeting. "Maybe when I'm in year 10 I can say that, but even then, those are pretty bold words.

"I love Coach Bates. He coaches how I play. I play with emotion and passion. He's the type of coach I would want to take in the foxhole with you."

Maybe all teams, in every season, have their moments when coaches get into it with coaches, players with players, coaches with players. Maybe it happens more than anybody knows.

But with Marshall, there has been a tad more glitz, and some unwanted mud, beyond his sensational, and not yet finished, second NFL season of 86 catches.

Off the field, Marshall has had an eventful year. In March, he was arrested for domestic violence, although charges later were dropped. Tuesday, Marshall pled not guilty to a DUI charge from October.

The incidents have not caused Marshall to shy from the public's eye. After scoring a touchdown in a 41-7 rout of Kansas City on Dec. 9, Marshall celebrated theatrically by repeatedly picking up snow from a pile and throwing it into the air. The demonstration earned him a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty from the officials and a $7,500 fine from the league.

Afterward, Marshall put on his full-length, black fur coat before conducting interviews. To be fair, Marshall was more jovial than bold.

"The snowball thing was fun," he said. "Even if T.O. did it, why would he get in trouble for throwing snow? If I'm doing a cutthroat motion, something that's bad for the kids, that's one thing. But the snow, the kids probably enjoyed it."

At 23, Marshall is still a kid. He churns through tackles and skips past defenders with the regularity of a big kid in a Pop Warner game. He doesn't need the end zone before he exhibits youthful enthusiasm.

There can't be a football fan in Denver who doesn't admire the effort Marshall brings to every play and his noticeable determination to improve.

"I definitely need to incorporate the deep ball and work on catching the deep ball and getting that separation," Marshall said. "And probably getting off the (cornerback) bump a little easier. So in the offseason, I'm definitely going to pound my mind and my body on the deep ball and release off the jam.

"I'm not a Pro Bowl player yet, so I'm definitely not content. Until I reach 10 years in this league, eight Pro Bowls, Super Bowl rings, I'm not content. Not only am I trying to establish myself in this league, but I'm trying to go down in history doing it. I'm not just here to play. I want to break records. I want to win championships. I'm not just here to play and make money."

At the rate he is going, Marshall could well become the most talented receiver in Broncos history. And that could make him so rich, he could buy another fur coat. It's just that in a locker room where for years the leading receivers were the comparatively stoic Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey, Marshall's gaudy ways occasionally will raise an eyebrow.

"I don't want to be remembered for dancing," said Smith, the Broncos' all-time leading receiver in every significant category but out this season because of a hip injury. "I want to be known for production and making the team better. Now you make the team better by taking care of yourself. In that way, everybody's a little selfish. But while you're taking care of yourself, it's important that you understand the mission of the organization."

Smith points out Marshall, like all Broncos receivers, has developed the selfless act of downfield blocking. Marshall's teammates also know he is the type of difference-maker who eventually can lead them to greater promises, much as Owens has for Dallas this year and Randy Moss, another receiver with a checkered past, has for New England.

Marshall's teammates care deeply about him. Care so much, they want to grow up with him.

"The more passes you catch, the more touchdowns you catch, the more good things will come your way," Cutler said. "He's doing a good job. I don't think we're going to have any more problems."

Second-year wonder

With four more catches, the Broncos' Brandon Marshall would join Sterling Sharpe (90), Lionel Taylor (92) and Isaac Bruce (119) as the only receivers with at least 90 catches in their second season. A comparison of Marshall's second season with those of past and present greats:

(Rec., Yards, TDs)

*Brandon Marshall 86 1136 6

Terrell Owens 60 936 8

Chad Johnson 69 1166 5

Randy Moss 80 1413 11

Marvin Harrison 73 866 6

Jerry Rice 86 1570 15

*Has two games remaining

Hawgdriver
12-20-2007, 10:50 AM
"I love Coach Bates. He coaches how I play. I play with emotion and passion. He's the type of coach I would want to take in the foxhole with you."

:laugh:

He wants to throw Bates in a foxhole with you...

Nah, I actually was stoked to hear him say this.

SR
12-20-2007, 10:51 AM
From the quotes in that article it sounds as if Marshall just likes to have fun. He's a gamer though. He says its about being as good as he can be and winning as much as he can and that it's not about money. That's a good sign that he's not as big of an egotist as some people think, which is great news. We've got a good group in the locker room that'll keep him grounded.

:laugh:

He wants to throw Bates in a foxhole with you...

Nah, I actually was stoked to hear him say this.

Same with me. I grinned.

Skinny
12-20-2007, 12:09 PM
A Bronco W.R. getting caught up in his own success ... that's a twist.

FINALLY!

Been awhile.

"Brandon might do some outlandish stuff from time to time, but he knows what's wrong or right," Cutler said. "He knows how to be a pro. Sometimes he loses some concentration and does some silly stuff and I'll get on him, tell him, 'You don't want guys looking at you like this.' "
Good to hear Cutler's stepping up to the leader role everyone so desires for him to. You honestly would'nt know it from his persona on the feild he's so poised and calm for the most part. He may not wear it on his sleeve ... but it's there.

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 02:04 PM
good posts above. I will repeat my concern about Marshall going ashley on us..

Great year and some MORON agent will be whispering in his ear.. I hope Jay and Rod will be whispering in the other one..

Nomad
12-20-2007, 02:11 PM
good posts above. I will repeat my concern about Marshall going ashley on us..

Great year and some MORON agent will be whispering in his ear.. I hope Jay and Rod will be whispering in the other one..

This is my concern as well. I like the passion and confidence Marshall shows but there's nothing wrong in being humble and a great receiver like a Rod Smith either. Unless, Marshall feels he needs to be heard as well as seen. I'm sure his production will not go down and he will want that big payday in a year or two but will the BRONCOS be willing to pay him!

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 02:37 PM
This is my concern as well. I like the passion and confidence Marshall shows but there's nothing wrong in being humble and a great receiver like a Rod Smith either. Unless, Marshall feels he needs to be heard as well as seen. I'm sure his production will not go down and he will want that big payday in a year or two but will the BRONCOS be willing to pay him!

They paid Rod a lot of money after his success, I do not see any reason they would not keep a budding star around unless he gets nutzo..
about either money or by going TO on us..

Nomad
12-20-2007, 02:41 PM
They paid Rod a lot of money after his success, I do not see any reason they would not keep a budding star around unless he gets nutzo..
about either money or by going TO on us..

I really never paid attention to the Lelie dibacle(sp) but isn't this situation the same. he did good one year and expected a big payday. I don't know, again I was busy and didn't focus much on that offseason.

SR
12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Good to hear Cutler's stepping up to the leader role everyone so desires for him to. You honestly would'nt know it from his persona on the feild he's so poised and calm for the most part. He may not wear it on his sleeve ... but it's there.

Agreed. It's definitely good to see AND hear Jay stepping in to the leadership role. He's got all the tools to be a great QB.

underrated29
12-20-2007, 02:50 PM
I really never paid attention to the Lelie dibacle(sp) but isn't this situation the same. he did good one year and expected a big payday. I don't know, again I was busy and didn't focus much on that offseason.

no lelie wanted to be a number 1 wr. He thought that since rod was here on this team that he would always be numero dose, no matter what. Yes, though he did want pay like a number 1, but i atleast respect him that he wanted to prove it on the field first.

Shanny told ash, show up, beat out rod and you are number1. Ash said, no no matter what i do i cant beat him, he is to big, to strong. I must go cry elsewhere.

and demanded a trade. so shanny said ok, hmmm. who can i rip off now. aha the redskins...no, we dont always want to rip them off, we still need their trust so we can get another champ type deal....hmmm ok the falcons.

oila!

Nomad
12-20-2007, 02:54 PM
no lelie wanted to be a number 1 wr. He thought that since rod was here on this team that he would always be numero dose, no matter what. Yes, though he did want pay like a number 1, but i atleast respect him that he wanted to prove it on the field first.

Shanny told ash, show up, beat out rod and you are number1. Ash said, no no matter what i do i cant beat him, he is to big, to strong. I must go cry elsewhere.

and demanded a trade. so shanny said ok, hmmm. who can i rip off now. aha the redskins...no, we dont always want to rip them off, we still need their trust so we can get another champ type deal....hmmm ok the falcons.

oila!

Thanks for clearing that up!

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 02:56 PM

Ahh ashley one of my favorite subjects....He got a big head because he was leading the world in YPC, but actually he sucked at YAC..

He had a great year in 2004 but everyone did it was the year that the ROE crap hit when the DB's could not touch a WR almost not be near them on the field. Of course he had a great year he is a pansy and if you thought that tater went down in a strong wind ashley made tater look like Bettis.. In taking a hit and continuing on.

His agent whispered in his ear he should be the #1 WR on the team wanted a big contract and Rod spot..to be given to him..

He cried to a DEN reporter one day and the day after recanted that he was unhappy in DEN and wanted a new contract. someone else whispered in the other ear it was stupid to do. It went back and forth for a while before it came to a show down.. He ailed to show up at the off season camps and if memory serves correct TC before we managed a 3 team trade..

Sent him the WR Siberia in ATL were he was a total bomb when they sent him to SFO where he stunk it up also..

thus endeth the ashley saga..

Nomad
12-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Marshall shouldn't have to worry about being #1 because he should be #1 next year. Unless the BRONCOS keep Walker and he has something to say about that especially if he's back to 100% (which I highly doubt).

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Marshall shouldn't have to worry about being #1 because he should be #1 next year. Unless the BRONCOS keep Walker and he has something to say about that especially if he's back to 100% (which I highly doubt).

for most of Rod and Eddies time in DEN we did not have "#1" WR they just weent out and whoever was open was #1.

Hawgdriver
12-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Could you imagine if Rod came back next year, and played like he was in his prime, a la Favre (yes, I know it's not going to happen, but suspend your disbelief for a moment)...

And Javon was 2006 Javon but bulletproof...

And B. Marsh improves his routes and power...

:mullet: :eek:

yeah baby...:faint2:

(ok, I'm done dreaming)

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Could you imagine if Rod came back next year, and played like he was in his prime, a la Favre (yes, I know it's not going to happen, but suspend your disbelief for a moment)...

And Javon was 2006 Javon but bulletproof...

And B. Marsh improves his routes and power...

:mullet: :eek:

yeah baby...:faint2:

(ok, I'm done dreaming)

I have no illusions tath Rod be beack to old times..

If he comes back he will provide a solid Veteran for the younger players to develope behind. Wheter he get 40- or 60 cartches make no difference to me.. UNLESS Walker fails to be his old self.

Nomad
12-20-2007, 05:31 PM
for most of Rod and Eddies time in DEN we did not have "#1" WR they just weent out and whoever was open was #1.

This is true but it seems the players of today want to be labeled #1. :noidea:
I just want what's best for the team and IMO, that's everyone working as a team and like you referred to playing the game and whoever's open is open.

HD, it would be nice to see Rod back in his prime!

Watchthemiddle
12-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Marshall is exactly what this team has needed. Gritty, tough, big, fast, WR with some attitude to go along with all the talent.

I love the fact that these young guys want to all grow up together.

Skinny
12-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I do not see any reason they would not keep a budding star..Let's hope so. As long and as difficult, and as many W.R.s Mikey has been through trying to fill in either the #2 or #3 spot in years past through the Draft or FA ... it just has not worked out in our favor. Though Stokley is working out this year.

This has been a thorn in our side for too long.

I thought, maybe as well as others, that we finally may have started to solidify that with Walker coming in as the #1 and sliding Rod to the #2 (or vise-versa) and things look to be on the up and up. Then Rod has hip surgery in the Off-season and is unable to return and then on top of that BMarsh blossoms and Walker's knee starts to act up ...

It's fustrating as hell!

That said, i think Mikey will be do all that he can to make sure, when the time comes, that BMarsh is locked up to a long term deal. Let's hope so ...

Hawgdriver
12-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I think Jay has done a great job this year, but I've noticed a few times B. Marsh has had to go up for the ball or make a play. That's awesome that he has those skills, and I don't expect Jay to be perfect, but can you imagine if they were always perfectly in tune? Marshall is so hard to tackle (Brandon = :alien:), it would almost be unfair...

Simple Jaded
12-21-2007, 12:28 AM
I've always thought Marshall has huge "Idiot" potential....

Imo, he could go either way, and I'm more convinced than ever that this kid has the "Idiot" gene.

He's already on his way to being a star WR in the NFL, I just hope he learns how to be a professional......