PDA

View Full Version : Undefeated Broncos welcome Patriots to Denver

Lonestar
10-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Last meeting:
The Patriots completely dominated the Broncos in a lopsided 41-7 Week 7 victory last season.

Streaks:
The Broncos have won five of the past seven meetings and have a decisive 26-16 overall series advantage, including the playoffs.

Last week:
A late Brandon Marshall touchdown propelled the Broncos past the visiting Cowboys, 17-10. ... New England staved off a late Baltimore rally, to earn a 27-21 victory.

Keep your eye on ...

Randy Moss' downfield presence: With Wes Welker out in Weeks 2 and 3, Moss shifted from his normal role of working on a lot of deep routes and ran a lot of underneath patterns. The result was 14 receptions, but for only 140 yards (a 10-yard per catch average). Now with Welker back, Moss can go back to getting downfield and giving Tom Brady a home run threat.
Randy Moss is averaging a career-low 11.4 yards per catch.

The Patriots' blitz packages: With a still-developing, young defense, New England has turned to a much more aggressive scheme this season. The Patriots are blitzing more often and leaving their cornerbacks in a lot more man coverage.

Brandon Marshall's playmaking: The Broncos receiver appears to have mended fences with coach Josh McDaniels and he possesses the kind of athleticism that could burn the Patriots if they get caught blitzing and he gets single covered. If the ground game struggles against New England's 11th-ranked rushing defense, the Broncos may need Marshall to break a long touchdown the way he did last week against Dallas.

Did you know?

Since 2006, Brady is 10-0 in October. ... Moss ranks second in league history with 61 100-yard receiving games (Jerry Rice, 76). ... Broncos QB Kyle Orton is 25-12 as a starter. ... Denver RB Knowshon Moreno leads all rookies with 249 yards rushing.

Read More >
Team LeadersNEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
Tom Brady 108 174 1129 4
Rushing Car Yds Avg TDs
Fred Taylor 45 201 4.5 2
Laurence Maroney 27 78 2.9 0
Receiving Rec Yds Avg TDs
Randy Moss 29 331 11.4 1
Benjamin Watson 12 174 14.5 2

Complete Stats >
DENVER BRONCOS
Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
Kyle Orton 69 117 906 5
Rushing Car Yds Avg TDs
Correll Buckhalter 37 267 7.2 1
Knowshon Moreno 60 249 4.2 1
Receiving Rec Yds Avg TDs
Brandon Marshall 16 219 13.7 2
Brandon Stokley 6 157 26.2 1

Complete Stats >
The Matchup Total Yards Per Game 376.0 365.0Passing Yards Per Game 273.8 217.0Rush Yards Per Game 102.2 148.0Analyze Matchup >

comments posted…
yeah well fortunately for new england they have huge depth at RB. Im comfortable with morris, faulk, and even green-ellis. They get it done when they need to, but it would be nice to have a steady and healthy taylor.
patsftw1287 | less than a minute ago
Recommend Report Bringing in DILLION i think really put the team over the top for the SB run!!
rmoura25 | less than a minute ago
Recommend Report rmoura.. no i didnt.. my lady wanted to watch it and ended up doing so without my presence
granolag23 | less than a minute ago
Recommend Report Taylor had lots of injurys when he was with the jags
broncoray | 1 minute ago
Recommend Report Fred Taylor is close to 40 years old I think but he is still a dangerous runner. He and Maurice Jones Drew were the one, two punch in Jacksonville. But now Drew has to do it all by himself.
patriotsrteabaggers | 1 minute ago
Recommend Report well if u meant good then y wouldnt u just say good?
tombraydy1fan | 1 minute ago
Recommend Report Taylor probably would have but he gets hurt alot and that he did do. Dillion was a pounding RB for sure
rmoura25 | 1 minute ago
Recommend Report the problem with Taylor is that he is injury prone as his ankel injury indicates
broncoray | 1 minute ago
Recommend Report wade phillips is only there to take up room on the sideline...
granolag23 | 2 minutes ago
Recommend Report Simpson gives Romo Aids and that's why he converts to being a h o m o. Tony H O M O. hahaha. = D
patriotsrteabaggers | 2 minutes ago
Recommend Report

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101110/2009/REG5/patriots@broncos?campaign=Ext_email_NL_WK5_DEN

Bronco Warrior
10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Orton will have to have a big game making the tough throws. The game could depend on it! :D

Cugel
10-09-2009, 08:58 PM
This will be a tough game, but it's at home so it's a possible win. They will have to contain Brady and not give him a lot of time to throw, and the DBs will have to be covering tightly in the middle of the field -- which they have so far.

Dawkins has been great in coverage. I don't know why the word coming out of Philly was that he was washed up and a liability as a pass-defender.

I doubt teams will throw at Champ Bailey as much this week as last. That didn't work out particularly well for Tony Romo. :coffee:

The problem will be whether the Broncos offense can score enough to win. SO far they've needed miracle plays to win two games. They might not get one every week. Can they score more than 17 points with this new offense and Kyle Orton at QB?

They have been entirely UNDERWHELMING on offense and really have not had a breakout game yet. Still it's early in the season and they could improve.

A win would put them up at least 2 games in the division and make Denver a sure fire contender for the division title. It would also make all the outside critics' heads explode, especially a certain former Broncos offensive lineman who said the Broncos D-line was "complete garbage."

EMB6903
10-09-2009, 09:18 PM
^^ Bailey will get tested this week, regardless how many times Tom Brady has praised Champ hes going to give Randy Moss a chance to make plays, and I'd assume Bailey is going to be matched up on moss 100% of the time in man to man situations.. 2 hall of fame locks going at it on sunday, cant wait.

sacmar
10-09-2009, 09:46 PM
It's weird but for the first time in a while I'm not worried about the pats at all. Den will def win this game.