PDA

View Full Version : Dumervil plans on treating Brady like every other QB

Lonestar
10-09-2009, 04:10 PM
By Mike Klis and Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/09/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 10/09/2009 01:12:32 AM MDT

Baltimore Ravens defenders made plenty of noise after last Sunday's game against New England, claiming that the referees do too much to protect Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

But Denver's top pass rusher isn't concerned.

Elvis Dumervil, who is tied for the NFL lead with eight sacks, said the fear of a roughing the passer penalty won't change the way he tries to pressure Brady. Sunday will be Dumervil's first game against Brady.

"I'm going to play the way I play regardless," Dumervil said. "I'm going to treat him like any other quarterback. You can't worry about that. If you worry about that, you'll be hesitant."

New England's first four opponents have been penalized 33 times for 265 yards, while the Broncos have been penalized 26 times for 200 yards, including 10 for 81 yards last week against Dallas.

Denver coach Josh McDaniels was particularly critical of noncalls during last week's game against Dallas in a "mic'ed up" segment taped by the NFL Network. McDaniels, talking to an official, was heard telling a referee that it was "ridiculous" that the crew was not calling a procedural penalty against "America's Team."

But McDaniels on Thursday said his team is focused on its own penalty issues.

"It's part of the game we have to improve on. You're going to have a hard time getting into a rhythm offensively, you're going to have a hard time getting off the field defensively if you're constantly committing 7-8 penalties a game," McDaniels said. "We know this week (the Patriots) have historically been one of the least penalized teams in the league.

Bad weather not a problem.

The Broncos have the option to practice indoors when the weather turns wintery, as it did Thursday, but McDaniels had his team practice outside instead. The forecast for Sunday includes the possibility of rain or snow showers.

"If we play in it, I hope we practice in it, and that's going to be our philosophy," he said. "If it's wet, damp, raining, snowing, whatever, we're going to be outside."

Father and son day.

For only the second time in the career of Broncos backup quarterback Chris Simms, his dad Phil Simms will work his game as a network color analyst. CBS is sending its "A" broadcast team of Jim Nantz and Simms to call the Broncos-Patriots game Sunday.

The first time Phil Simms worked a game in which his son was involved occurred last year, when Chris was the No. 3 quarterback for the Tennessee Titans. Chris will back up Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton for the game here Sunday.

"If I was playing, my dad wouldn't work the game," Chris said. "That's what he's told (CBS), anyway. It wouldn't bother me, but he wouldn't feel comfortable with it."

Then again, as both father and son well know, the backup quarterback is always one play away.

Footnotes.

Veteran safety Brian Dawkins missed his second consecutive practice Thursday with a sore knee and shoulder. Dawkins was on the field, wearing a sweat suit, and walked through defensive back drills in the portion of practice that was open to the media. . . . Dallas linebacker Anthony Spencer was fined $5,000 for a face mask penalty on Denver quarterback Orton. . . . Left guard Ben Hamilton (hamstring) and cornerback Alphonso Smith (ankle) were limited participants in practice.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13519608?source=rss#

Bronco Warrior
10-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Good to see the Elvis isn't letting the threat of penalties change his approach. I can't wait for him to turn Tom Lady over his knee! on a side note I've meet Jim Nantz back in the early '90's before he was big..lol..at a local STRIP BAR..LMAO! He was with my buddy that was the TD (technmical Director) for the Jazz Games... Ha Ha! what a closet perv rofl

gobroncsnv
10-09-2009, 06:33 PM
The Pats will be wearing white, so I hope Elvis puts a lot of green on Brady's uni... make him look more like a Celtic than a Patriot.

soonerjh
10-09-2009, 10:52 PM
The Pats will be wearing white, so I hope Elvis puts a lot of green on Brady's uni... make him look more like a Celtic than a Patriot.

with tufts of grass imbedded on his facemask!

Spiritguy
10-10-2009, 11:10 AM
"I'm going to play the way I play regardless," Dumervil said. "I'm going to treat him like any other quarterback. "

Yep, he's gonna put him on his back 2 - 4 times during the game. :D

Chris90210
10-10-2009, 11:15 AM
how deep is his wallet?

Ravage!!!
10-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm hoping the rightful criticisms of the refs last week makes them think twice about throwing that flag in order to help the scared Brady.

I know the rule is named after him, but its a rule that is absurd

Bronco Warrior
10-10-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm hoping the rightful criticisms of the refs last week makes them think twice about throwing that flag in order to help the scared Brady.

When you watch the game remember the rule says "Forcible" hit to the legs of a QuarterBack! I think the refs will be a little gunshy about calling frivalous penalties when it comes to Brady!

Angel
10-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I want Elvis to knock Brady's block off!!!

Bronco Warrior
10-10-2009, 07:13 PM

I want Elvis to knock Brady's block off!!!

You mean like a Rock'em Sock'em Robot? lol!

AgentOrange
10-10-2009, 10:16 PM
For only the second time in the career of Broncos backup quarterback Chris Simms, his dad Phil Simms will work his game as a network color analyst.
I'm going to enjoy watching Phil Sims finally having to be nice to the Broncos.

Wonder if he'll choke.

sneakers
10-11-2009, 12:52 AM
The NFL has him well protected:

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Brady-Cage.jpg

gobroncsnv
10-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Don't know if this is bad form to quote myself, but while we didn't put enough green on Brady's uni to suit me (then again, ENOUGH would be impossible), we did make him green in the place that counts even more... ENVY!!!

Lonestar
10-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Don't know if this is bad form to quote myself, but while we didn't put enough green on Brady's uni to suit me (then again, ENOUGH would be impossible), we did make him green in the place that counts even more... ENVY!!!

Brady is a hell of a QB and he has a alot of weapons to look to and his OLINE is not a slouch either..

I'd loved to have him covered in Shamrock green.. but we made him just nervous enough IIRC that he did not convert a third down in the second half.. and they did not score either..

Broncos played way better than I thought they could..