PDA

View Full Version : 5-0 would be a Super sign for Broncos

Lonestar
10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/09/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 10/09/2009 01:09:22 AM MDT

Do the math, Josh McDaniels. (He can. He was a mathematics major in college.)

When the Broncos started 5-0, under three different coaches, they reached the Super Bowl.

When Bill Belichick has been a head coach against the Broncos, his teams have won only two of 11.

Since 1969, when the Broncos have played the Patriots in Denver, they own a 14-2 record.

The Patriots are Patsies here.

It adds up, Josh.

Therefore (and therefour- and0), given an equation of variable factors, the student could outsmart the professor and the Broncos could beat the Patriots, and the Broncos could go to the Super Bowl.

Simple arithmetic, right?

McDaniels, when he smiles, looks and acts a lot like Matt Damon, and he did work in the vicinity of MIT, so this Sunday's game should be called Good Josh Hunting.

Is Undefeated Josh McDaniels smarter than Brilliant Bill Belichick? Is Diamond Tom Brady as good without his former offensive coordinator?

More drama than Henry VIII marriages.

Can the Broncos go 5-0? If they do, their chances of advancing to the postseason are overwhelming. Since the NFL expanded to the 12-team playoff system, teams that began with five consecutive victories qualified 93.5 percent of the time.

Can the Broncos go to the Super Bowl? In four of their previous 49 seasons, the Broncos have opened with at least five consecutive victories. In 1977, with Red Miller as the coach, the Broncos won their first five, then one more before losing, and drove to the team's first Super Bowl. Dan Reeves' 1986 Broncos also won a six-pack and ended up in the Super Bowl.

Under Mike Shanahan, the Broncos won six in a row to begin 1997 — and became world champions for the first time. And the next season the Broncos didn't lose the first 13 games — and won their second Super Bowl.

Five & Oh! would seem to be a super sign.

Can McDaniels get the job done against his ex-boss?

His predecessors did. Reeves, Shanahan and Wade Phillips dominated Belichick. During Belichick's five-year reign (of terror) in Cleveland, the Broncos were 4-0 against the Browns. In Belichick's first eight seasons in New England, Shanahan bested him five of seven games — and the Broncos took the Patsies twice in 2005 — 28-20 in the regular season, 27-13 in the postseason.

Belichick won over the Broncos in 2003 and in the 41-7 Farce in Foxboro last season that proved the Broncos' defense was a disaster waiting for San Diego to happen.

Can the Broncos thump the Patriots on the hallowed ground that used to be a garbage dump? Yes. They've done it regularly in the past 20 years.

Although the Broncos won two in 1960, including the first AFL game, the then-Boston Patriots won 10 of the next 14.

The Broncos actually prevailed in Boston in 1966, 17-10, in the final seconds on a 64-yard touchdown pass play from Max Choboian to Al Denson. The ball was tipped. It was the Broncos' first Immaculate Deflection. Babe Parilli, who lives in Denver and was the Patriots' quarterback in '66, told me the other day that the game was played "in the worst, rainy conditions I've ever seen. We fumbled six times. I thought about that miracle play by the Broncos the moment (Brandon) Stokley made the catch on the tip in Cincinnati."

Parilli, probably the greatest college quarterback in SEC history, has been involved in many strange events. He was the Steelers' assistant coach who called the plays in the "Immaculate Reception" game. He was Joe Namath's backup in the Jets' amazing Super Bowl victory and was the No. 2 quarterback to Bart Starr in Green Bay. He was the Broncos' quarterbacks coach when they played in Super Bowl XII. And he beat the Broncos as a QB for the Raiders and the Patriots. He should be introduced at Sunday's throwback uniform game.

The Broncos ripped the Patriots in Denver in 1969 and have lost here only in 2000 and 2003. Otherwise, the Broncos have possessed the Patriots in the old stadium and the new, winning 14.

There was one Broncos triumph in a snowstorm (won by the Broncos 45-10) and another in a blowout in New England (37-3) when Shannon Sharpe picked up the sideline phone and called out the National Guard for the Patriots. There were playoff victories in Denver in 1986 and 2005 — the Broncos' last postseason success.

The Patriots are not invincible this season, because of a dubious defense, and the Broncos are perfect this season because of a dynamic defense. The Patriots don't have McDaniels, and the Broncos do.

Will Lonie Paxton, who played nine seasons for the Patriots, be the hero for the Broncos with a perfect long snap on the final play?

Broncos-Patriots is a numbers game, as Josh McDaniels will figure out.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13519541?source=rss

Bronco Warrior
10-09-2009, 04:06 PM
That was pretty cool! Typical Woody Paige Rambling gobble-d-gook but still an informative read in between..lol!

NightTrainLayne
10-09-2009, 04:09 PM
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

The Patriots don't have McDaniels, and the Broncos do.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13519541?source=rss

WTF? This, from the same Woody Paige who's railed at us for months about how Josh McDaniels has ruined the whole franchise?

Go pour another drink, and hit on an intern Woody, maybe they'll be naive enough to buy what you're selling.

Lonestar
10-09-2009, 04:21 PM
WTF? This, from the same Woody Paige who's railed at us for months about how Josh McDaniels has ruined the whole franchise?

Go pour another drink, and hit on an intern Woody, maybe they'll be naive enough to buy what you're selling.

I had a 4 or 5 day email back and forth with him and he insisted he was the guy at the post that was kind to Josh all the while..

I told him I was not going to bother reading his BE columns anymore and copied his BOSS on it.... want to talk about someone being full of themselves..

he is so full of BE, frankly I did not even read it, just cut and pasted in here just thought it should be posted.. let everyone else decide what an IHOW he is..

TXBRONC
10-09-2009, 05:37 PM

In one of his Q and A column back in August said that he thought McDaniels would be successful in Denver.

SR
10-09-2009, 07:03 PM
What the hell is BE? And IHOW?

Lonestar
10-09-2009, 07:56 PM
What the hell is BE? And IHOW?

bovine excrement and International House of WAFFLES..

does help

Cugel
10-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Woody Paige is PAID to stir up controversy. Controversy sells newspapers. That's what he's there for.

He takes up contrary positions on issues just to get fans riled up. And he can easily do that by casting public doubt on the coach, the players, the fans, the GM or Pat Bowlen.

Anyone reacting to him by getting mad and saying "You're a complete idiot!" is doing precisely what he's getting for. Stirring up interest.

As for his statements, NOBODY outside of Denver really thought the Broncos had a realistic chance to win 8 games. I certainly thought they'd win between 6 and 7 and that might have been GENEROUS compared with outside experts.

So, to the extent that Paige believed the Broncos would tank, that's just universal sentiment.

Beating the Patriots would go a long way towards eradicating that sentiment. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Broncos have a realistic chance at the SB -- they still have Kyle Orton at QB who I still maintain is NOT a SB QB, but they will probably qualify for the playoffs if they continue playing as well as they have.

They're probably assured of at least 7 or 8 wins right now. And if they can pull off another upset, that would make it at least 9. Split with Chargers and they would have the division edge and host a playoff game.

The Chargers are still a potent team with Phillip Rivers, but the rest of their team, especially their defense is highly questionable. LT is limited. And their defensive line is wobbly. They can be beat.

And if the Broncos beat them in 2 weeks that will put Denver up at least 2 games on them with the tie-breaker in hand. That would be a great start to the season!

TXBRONC
10-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Woody Paige is PAID to stir up controversy. Controversy sells newspapers. That's what he's there for.

He takes up contrary positions on issues just to get fans riled up. And he can easily do that by casting public doubt on the coach, the players, the fans, the GM or Pat Bowlen.

Anyone reacting to him by getting mad and saying "You're a complete idiot!" is doing precisely what he's getting for. Stirring up interest.

As for his statements, NOBODY outside of Denver really thought the Broncos had a realistic chance to win 8 games. I certainly thought they'd win between 6 and 7 and that might have been GENEROUS compared with outside experts.

So, to the extent that Paige believed the Broncos would tank, that's just universal sentiment.

Beating the Patriots would go a long way towards eradicating that sentiment. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Broncos have a realistic chance at the SB -- they still have Kyle Orton at QB who I still maintain is NOT a SB QB, but they will probably qualify for the playoffs if they continue playing as well as they have.

They're probably assured of at least 7 or 8 wins right now. And if they can pull off another upset, that would make it at least 9. Split with Chargers and they would have the division edge and host a playoff game.

The Chargers are still a potent team with Phillip Rivers, but the rest of their team, especially their defense is highly questionable. LT is limited. And their defensive line is wobbly. They can be beat.

And if the Broncos beat them in 2 weeks that will put Denver up at least 2 games on them with the tie-breaker in hand. That would be a great start to the season!

Nice to see you back here Cugel.

I've been thinking the same thing. I think Denver has a chance to make the playoffs if they continue to play well. Of course they still have some things to clean up on offense. They're going to face several good times over the next several weeks so they can't afford to shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes. Some of really good teams that they are going to face look beatable but they just keep misfiring the way that they have.

JONtheBRONCO
10-09-2009, 10:41 PM
yeah it was a good article besides coming from dipshit loser paige. what a bangwagon on the broncos this year. boo

Benetto
10-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Numbers don't mean shit...Performance on the field is what wins or loses games.

Elevation inc
10-10-2009, 03:39 AM
I had a 4 or 5 day email back and forth with him and he insisted he was the guy at the post that was kind to Josh all the while..

I told him I was not going to bother reading his BE columns anymore and copied his BOSS on it.... want to talk about someone being full of themselves..

he is so full of BE, frankly I did not even read it, just cut and pasted in here just thought it should be posted.. let everyone else decide what an IHOW he is..

actually in nearly all of his columns about he josh he supported josh and liked him but questioned if the moves were the right ones. he predicted 5-11 as did you JR.....

he had doubts about the defense and extreme doubts about orton during the pre-season as did many.....

he has actually been quite objective with regards to josh in many columns stating that wins are josh answers to the critics....just becasue he wasnt slobbering the broncos as revoluntionezd fro the better doesnt mean he was knocking them...guys like dukes, woodson, ballinger, whitlock thsoe are the evil guys not woody

Nomad
10-10-2009, 05:42 AM

IMO, I would rather the BRONCOS be looking forward to the Chargers game next Monday night and overlooking the Patriots. I know many of you say one game at a time or you hate the Pats...blah, blah, blah, but if there was a game to prepare for it would be next Monday. Play the Patriots to win but I would rather McDaniels/Nolan throw the kitchen sink at the Chargers especially being at Quallcomm!!

But I was looking at the schedule and including this Sunday, we have the Patriots, Chargers, Steelers, and Ravens....yes and bye in between. What a test for the BRONCOS if they can come out 2-2 then it would be a good feat for them!! Yeah, Yeah, 4-0 would be better between these games

TXBRONC
10-10-2009, 02:33 PM
IMO, I would rather the BRONCOS be looking forward to the Chargers game next Monday night and overlooking the Patriots. I know many of you say one game at a time or you hate the Pats...blah, blah, blah, but if there was a game to prepare for it would be next Monday. Play the Patriots to win but I would rather McDaniels/Nolan throw the kitchen sink at the Chargers especially being at Quallcomm!!

But I was looking at the schedule and including this Sunday, we have the Patriots, Chargers, Steelers, and Ravens....yes and bye in between. What a test for the BRONCOS if they can come out 2-2 then it would be a good feat for them!! Yeah, Yeah, 4-0 would be better between these games

I think understand where you're coming from Nomad but I respectfully disagree because when teams start off 5-0 they have a 93.5% chance of making the playoffs.

T.K.O.
10-10-2009, 03:03 PM
it is not in the nature of good coaches or teams to "look past " any team the only way to keep your team up is to plan for and give 100% every week.
you can bet this is a big week for the broncos (while oobviously a win over the chargers is more important in the big picture) this is still a conf. game and we need every win we can get.

Lonestar
10-10-2009, 04:41 PM
it is not in the nature of good coaches or teams to "look past " any team the only way to keep your team up is to plan for and give 100% every week.
you can bet this is a big week for the broncos (while oobviously a win over the chargers is more important in the big picture) this is still a conf. game and we need every win we can get.

I do not see Josh thinking anything but what is in front of him.. especially since his old boss and team is coming to town..

I guessing that he personally has not looked ant any SAN film till after tomorrows game.. perhaps he has had scouts doing it.. but him and his coaches are focused on Sunday's first..