PDA

View Full Version : Question about pick'em league

fcspikeit
12-20-2007, 12:57 AM
When do we want the pick'em league to end? Do we declare the winner at the end of the regular season or do we want it to run all the way to the Super Bowl?

I believe most pick'em leagues end with the regular season, at that point the winner is crowned. If that is what we want to do we can also run a post season pick'em if you want?

I am putting the pole up to get an idea of what the members here want. But I ask that you please post here with your thoughts.

I am open to pretty much anything.

Thanks guys/gals :beer:

sneakers
12-20-2007, 01:08 AM
It would be interesting to do it in the post season also. :D

UnderArmour
12-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Post would be cool. If it's not too much trouble go for it.

fcspikeit
12-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Post would be cool. If it's not too much trouble go for it.

I have no problem running it through the post season. In fact, if we do end the pick'em we are now running I am willing to run a post season pick'em league if the members here want me too.

The main reason for this poll is to decide when we want to end the league and declare the winner. If we do go on through the post season it will give those behind a chance to catch up.

I am currently in the lead and I am fine if we decide to run it on through the post season. But if someone else is in the lead at the end of regular season, they might feel cheated if we run it on through the post season. I didn't start the league so I really don't know what the plan was at the beginning of the year? If the plan was to end it then we probably should just end it because opinions might change depending on where they are ranked at the end of the regular season.

Either way, I think it would be fun to have a post season pick'em Challenge.

Retired_Member_001
12-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I'll play whatever you do.

I honestly don't mind if you have seperate competitions for the regular season and the post-season, or if you have the post-season as part of the whole competition.

The only thing is, if you were to do it for the post-season, how would you manage the Championship games or the Super Bowl? There's only 4 teams playing or in the case of the Super Bowl 2 teams. Is their much point in doing it if only 2 or 1 point is going to be awarded. I don't mind, it's just a point I needed to make.

broncosfanscott
12-20-2007, 05:41 PM
I think it would be cool to have this continue through the Super Bowl. However, if this is done totally separate from the regular season I am up with that too.

fcspikeit
12-20-2007, 07:33 PM
I'll play whatever you do.

I honestly don't mind if you have seperate competitions for the regular season and the post-season, or if you have the post-season as part of the whole competition.

The only thing is, if you were to do it for the post-season, how would you manage the Championship games or the Super Bowl? There's only 4 teams playing or in the case of the Super Bowl 2 teams. Is their much point in doing it if only 2 or 1 point is going to be awarded. I don't mind, it's just a point I needed to make.

I was thinking about this last night. The total anyone could score is 11
points. That is if they picked every game correctly. There would be a lot of ties so we would need to have a tie brake, By assigning one game to pick the score to settle a tie. We could also pick the score for each game and get a point for ever correct production. With the bonus points you could score 12 points in the first 2 rounds, 6 in the 3rd and 3 in the Superbowl = 33

The games will be the best verses the best and in most cases they could go either way, That being said, you could gain a lot of ground in the standing because those ahead might end up going 0 - 4 the first round.

Look at the AFC. In the first round you will have SD, PIT/CLE JAC. No matter who plays who there is no clear favorite. In the NFC its about the same.

In the second round I'm sure NE, IND, GB, and Dal will be the clear favorites. Members will have the chance to pick the upset to catch up if they choose.

All in all, if your more then 11 points out of the lead you wont have a very good chance to and up 1st. But no matter where you are, you will have the chance to clime up a few spots. Right now in the standings there is 12 points between 10th (Cleveland Rocks & LawDog) and 1st (fcspikeit).

You all have to keep in mind that you might be the one who gets passed if we decide to run the season league all the way through the post season. I know to some it really doesn't matter but to others like myself they want to win! :D

Hopefully we will get enough feedback in the next few days to decide what we as a group want to do. I know for the more competitive members their picks going into the last week will change depending on where they are ranked and how many weeks they have left to catch up.

Skinny
12-20-2007, 08:00 PM
I'll ride it out till the wheels fall off ...

As long as there's a pick'em ... i'll pick'em.

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 08:11 PM
I think it should be separate issues clean slate after the regular season ends.

Tie breakers can be done with scores for each game or over and under or for that matter point spread..

DEN-SFO
PHX-BAL
NE-IND
NYG-PHL

DEN 4.5
BAL 6
IND 8
PHL 4

In order to get all 8 points this fictious week they would have to not only guess the winner but the if the handled the point spread.

Make sense.. Each week it would get less total points. Making accuracy more important.. NO prise on this one IMO it is for the Crown only. Not fair to ask TNED to come up with more out of pocket expense..

fcspikeit
12-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I think it should be separate issues clean slate after the regular season ends.

Tie breakers can be done with scores for each game or over and under or for that matter point spread..

DEN-SFO
PHX-BAL
NE-IND
NYG-PHL

DEN 4.5
BAL 6
IND 8
PHL 4

In order to get all 8 points this fictious week they would have to not only guess the winner but the if the handled the point spread.

Make sense.. Each week it would get less total points. Making accuracy more important.. NO prise on this one IMO it is for the Crown only. Not fair to ask TNED to come up with more out of pocket expense..

I agree, there would be no need for Tned to have to pay any more money out of his pocket. If reidman wanted to do a sig for the post season pick'em winner that would be cool, but entirely up to him.

I don't mind picking the spread, but I know some people would rather pick the game's strait up. IMO, picking each teams score and getting bonus points for each correct pick would be fun and give each member the chance to gain points.

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I agree, there would be no need for Tned to have to pay any more money out of his pocket. If reidman wanted to do a sig for the post season pick'em winner that would be cool, but entirely up to him.

I don't mind picking the spread, but I know some people would rather pick the game's strait up. IMO, picking each teams score and getting bonus points for each correct pick would be fun and give each member the chance to gain points.

Think the point spread has to be a published one, say on that Monday or Tuesday before.. all entries have to be done by Wednesday midnight MST that week. That way folks have say 48 hours to make a choice..

Since there is no more MNF it should flow pretty well . We could even lock the thread so folks can't come in an change stuff around..

Just some ideas..

You can take it from here..

fcspikeit
12-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Think the point spread has to be a published one, say on that Monday or Tuesday before.. all entries have to be done by Wednesday midnight MST that week. That way folks have say 48 hours to make a choice..

Since there is no more MNF it should flow pretty well . We could even lock the thread so folks can't come in an change stuff around..

Just some ideas..

You can take it from here..

Why would we need to close the thread on Wednesday? What ever the open spread that was posted would have to stand for the whole week. So everyone was picking with the same spread. But why couldn't we run it all the way until game time?

Thanks for your ideas, if no one has a problem picking with/against the spread I don't have a problem with it. The one thing that would be good about it is that the favorites might not be favorites to cover the spread.

Lonestar
12-22-2007, 05:37 PM
:bump: :salute:

More thoughts here please

fcspikeit
12-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I was thinking that instead of picking the spread maybe we could get more points for picking the underdog.

Like if NE played SD, If the spread was 7 points you would get 2 points for picking SD if they won. Maybe 1 extra point for every 7 points of spread. If the spread was 21 you would get 4 points for picking SD.

That would give you a reason to pick the underdog, big risk, big reword.

Lonestar
12-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I was thinking that instead of picking the spread maybe we could get more points for picking the underdog.

Like if NE played SD, If the spread was 7 points you would get 2 points for picking SD if they won. Maybe 1 extra point for every 7 points of spread. If the spread was 21 you would get 4 points for picking SD.

That would give you a reason to pick the underdog, big risk, big reword.

It seems we are the only two here interested so I do not care lets do something to keep keep it up after the reg season dies..

fcspikeit
12-22-2007, 11:23 PM
It seems we are the only two here interested so I do not care lets do something to keep keep it up after the reg season dies..

LOL. :salute:

fcspikeit
12-25-2007, 01:20 PM
All right guys/gals.

Right now I feel it best that we end the season pick'em league at the end of the regular season. Then we have a post season pick'em

Here is why,

1. We have a bunch of new members on our boards and I feel it would be best that they had a chance to win the post season pick'em. If we ran the current pick'em league all the way through the post season the new members would have no chance to catch up and win the pick'em league.

2. Right now I am in the lead by 6 points. Realistically even those in the top 10 now would have no real chance to catch me even if the league ran through the post season.

If the members don't concur with me about this, then please post here and let your voice be heard.

I will start working on the post season pick'em league this week so it is ready to go on Monday. I plan on picking the spread to make the lopsided games more interesting. If you don't want to pick the spread, please post here with your reasons why. If the majority of people here don't want to pick the spread, there will be no spread. That being said, if you care either way let your voice be heard.

Thanks! :salute:

fcspikeit
01-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Post your thoughts about the currant post season pick'em league.

Please don't just post saying, "it sucks" or "I hate it". Of course you have the right to feel that way. However, The goal here is to discuss ways to make it better. If anyone has a better idea of how to list the picks with out it being so confusing please post your ideas. :salute:

Here is how they look now,

Post season Wild card round.

Game 1.
Jacksonville (- 1 1/2)
at
Pittsburgh (+ 1 1/2)

Game 2.
Washington (+ 3 1/2)
at
Seattle (- 3 1/2)

Game 3.
Tennessee (+ 8 1/2)
at
San Diego (- 8 1/2)

Game 4.
NY Giants (+ 3 1/2)
at
Tampa Bay (- 3 1/2)

>Broncos Forums Post Season Pick'em Challenge Wild card Round< (http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=79145#post79145)

Ricky
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
My question is about the spread. What line are you using and is it set for the week or will it move as the games gets closer?

fcspikeit
01-02-2008, 08:14 PM
My question is about the spread. What line are you using and is it set for the week or will it move as the games gets closer?

I got the spread from yahoo sports. The spread listed in my post will stand all week. That way everyone will be picking with the same spread.

You forgot to list your predicted score for each game. I will put you down for who you feel will win the games/spread. If you want to edit you post with your predicted scores you will have the chance to get 8 more points. Because you get 1 points for every correctly predicted score.

Ricky
01-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks
I will get my scores posted.

Broncolingus
01-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Separate...

One for the regular season...one for the post season.

JMO...