PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to demonstrate RB depth after Buckhalter's injury

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13510079

Correll Buckhalter is hurt. And all is well.

Such is the attitude NFL teams habitually express whenever one of their key players suffers an injury.

And Buckhalter is a key Broncos player. The tailback leads the 4-0 team in rushing and is fourth in receiving.

There is a good chance Buckhalter won't play Sunday against the New England Patriots, however, because of an ankle sprain he suffered last weekend against the Dallas Cowboys.

"We'd love to have Correll," said Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton. "He's played great for us, been very productive. But it's one of our deeper positions on offense and we've got a lot of guys ready to go."

The question isn't necessarily who will replace Buckhalter, because rookie Knowshon Moreno has been getting the bulk of the carries anyway — 60 to Buckhalter's 37.

The question is how LaMont Jordan or Peyton Hillis will fare in Moreno's previous role as the 1A tailback. Jordan has been the more trusted No. 3 back with 17 carries to just four by Hillis.

"My job is to be prepared," Hillis said. "I have to take it all in and make sure it doesn't go in one ear and out the other. You have to expect to play all the time."

Hillis' straight-ahead, physical running style as a rookie surprise last season earned him cultlike popularity, but he has struggled in a reduced role this year.

In consecutive weeks, Hillis fumbled away the opening kickoff against the Cleveland Browns; was flagged against the Oakland Raiders for jumping the snap on first-and-goal, then didn't score on two goal-line plunges; and was penalized twice on punt coverage against Dallas.

Is he pressing?

"Pressing? I don't know. I try to play hard, and I've made some mistakes in the process," Hillis said. "It's not because I'm not mentally right.

"You do the best you can. You have to wait in line and wait your turn and one of these days, hopefully it'll happen. If not, you need to be a great team player and play where they want you to play."

scott.475
10-09-2009, 12:56 AM
I really want to see Hillis get some decent playing time. I want him to punish defenders into submission and just make them hate the thought of having to tackle him.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-09-2009, 01:06 AM
No need to talk about Hillis when Moreno is awesome.

Shazam!
10-09-2009, 01:06 AM
I hope Hill gets action and we'll see a lot of different things this week.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Well personally I think Knowshon has earned it and we need to stick with his bad boy self. HIlis can pound it or whatever but he did not impress earlier i the year at the goleline. I really think Mreno the special bac in this offense and he's going to do a lot against the Patriots so we can be undefeated.

Foochacho
10-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Moreno sucks haven't you seen that thread that says he's a noshow?.:rolleyes:

Timmy!
10-09-2009, 01:54 AM
For the love of all that is good and holy, GIVE HILLIS THE ROCK!!!!

Nomad
10-09-2009, 06:24 AM
I believe Buckhalter has been the spark for this team (on offense) the last 4 games and will be missed this Sunday!!

SR
10-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Well personally I think Knowshon has earned it and we need to stick with his bad boy self. HIlis can pound it or whatever but he did not impress earlier i the year at the goleline. I really think Mreno the special bac in this offense and he's going to do a lot against the Patriots so we can be undefeated.

Are you drunk?

TXBRONC
10-09-2009, 08:35 AM
The running game will be in good hands with Moreno starting. He's been getting the bulk of the work anyway. I would like for Buckhalter to be in there rotating with Moreno but I don't think there be a big drop off if Moreno gets the lion's share of carries on Sunday.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2009, 09:21 AM
No need to talk about Hillis when Moreno is awesome.

Moreno is far from awesome. He's been improving week by week and can eventually be awesome but he isn't there yet.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I'd like to see Hillis get a chance to tote the ball BUT not if it's in the predictable goal line or short yardage roles. Or guards don't get the push you need and all the defense has to do is follow the FB as that is where the play seems to go in those situations. Hillis was great with the ball in his hands last year. Can't explian the limited touches to date.
We are going to miss buck. He is by far our best back. Moreno has been solid and seems to be improving and will need to step up this weekend.

Mike
10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Hillis has to step up. He has been one of the least impressive players on the team this year with his fumble and penalties.

scott.475
10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Moreno: 60 carries, 249 yards, 4.2 YPC, 1TD
Buckhalter: 37 carries, 267 yards, 7.2 YPC!, 1TD
Hillis: 4 carries, 5 yards, 1.3 YPC, 1 TD

I have nothing against Moreno, but he really is not all that yet. We know Peyton's ability and versatility, I would like to see him with more than 4 carries up to this point.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Hillis has to step up. He has been one of the least impressive players on the team this year with his fumble and penalties.

He's had 4 carries. He hasn't been given the chance.

Mike
10-09-2009, 09:38 AM
He's had 4 carries. He hasn't been given the chance.

Not as a RB. He has been given chances in the return game and has been messing up a lot though. I expect that counts against him with McD.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Moreno: 60 carries, 249 yards, 4.2 YPC, 1TD
Buckhalter: 37 carries, 267 yards, 7.2 YPC!, 1TD
Hillis: 4 carries, 5 yards, 1.3 YPC, 1 TD

I have nothing against Moreno, but he really is not all that yet. We know Peyton's ability and versatility, I would like to see him with more than 4 carries up to this point.

Buck has 23 fewer carries yet more yards and a way better average than Moreno. We are going to miss Buck this weekend. I think the other guys can step up BUT it's going to require that each step it up this weekend.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Not as a RB. He has been given chances in the return game and has been messing up a lot though. I expect that counts against him with McD.

Yeah because it makes so much since to let a 250 RB return kicks. :tsk:

Hillis has shown the roles he can excell in, he needs to used in those roles again.

Mike
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Buck has 23 fewer carries yet more yards and a way better average than Moreno. We are going to miss Buck this weekend. I think the other guys can step up BUT it's going to require that each step it up this weekend.

Moreno is steady and has yet to break any big gains. I will take his 4-7 gains each down. Buck has been great and the team needs him, but Moreno can lead this team...if he stays healthy. That is a big if, IMO.

I really do hope they give Hillis a chance to supplement Moreno instead of old-man time (Jordan).

Mike
10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah because it makes so much since to let a 250 RB return kicks. :tsk:

Hillis has shown the roles he can excell in, he needs to used in those roles again.

You do well in the roles the coach asks you to play and you will be given more time...mess it up and...

I agree with you by the way about his role, but Hillis has to get his head in the game and step up.

BroncosRockdaRockies
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Um he has been injured with a head injury hasn't he?