PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Sign Kicker Prater From Dolphins'

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 01:25 PM
CBS4 Broncos Insiders

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) ―
The Denver Broncos signed kicker Matt Prater to their active roster from Miami's practice squad Wednesday, the team announced.

Prater is a first-year player who spent the last four weeks on the Dolphins' practice squad after Atlanta waived him from its active roster on Sept. 18. He saw the first action of his career with Atlanta at the start of the season, playing in the Falcons' first two games and kicking off four times for 285 yards (71.3 avg.) with three touchbacks.

He also connected on 1-of-4 field-goal attempts and one extra-point attempt.

Prater will likely handle kick-off duties after punter/kicker Todd Sauerbrun was cut Tuesday. The Broncos signed punter Paul Ernster later Tuesday to replace Sauerbrun at that position.

Prater entered the NFL with Detroit on May 4, 2006, as a rookie free agent from the University of Central Florida and spent that regular season out of the NFL after Detroit waived him on Aug. 28, 2006.

Makes sense to fire one guy and replace him with TWO.. Now we have Three kickers on the squad..

Looks like Elam may be going also..

broncofanatic1987
12-19-2007, 02:40 PM
CBS4 Broncos Insiders

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) ―
The Denver Broncos signed kicker Matt Prater to their active roster from Miami's practice squad Wednesday, the team announced.

Prater is a first-year player who spent the last four weeks on the Dolphins' practice squad after Atlanta waived him from its active roster on Sept. 18. He saw the first action of his career with Atlanta at the start of the season, playing in the Falcons' first two games and kicking off four times for 285 yards (71.3 avg.) with three touchbacks.

He also connected on 1-of-4 field-goal attempts and one extra-point attempt.

Prater will likely handle kick-off duties after punter/kicker Todd Sauerbrun was cut Tuesday. The Broncos signed punter Paul Ernster later Tuesday to replace Sauerbrun at that position.

Prater entered the NFL with Detroit on May 4, 2006, as a rookie free agent from the University of Central Florida and spent that regular season out of the NFL after Detroit waived him on Aug. 28, 2006.

Makes sense to fire one guy and replace him with TWO.. Now we have Three kickers on the squad..

Looks like Elam may be going also..

I don't see how this affects Elam. I believe he recently signed an extension that will keep him in Denver until he's 40. Bringing in a kicker that was 1-4 in two games hardly seems like the answer to replace a guy like Elam.

Chances are that Prater will handle kickoffs for the rest of this season and will be looking for a job next year. Maybe Kircus can give him a good reference at a Subway shop.:D

Stargazer
12-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't see how this affects Elam. I believe he recently signed an extension that will keep him in Denver until he's 40. Bringing in a kicker that was 1-4 in two games hardly seems like the answer to replace a guy like Elam.

Chances are that Prater will handle kickoffs for the rest of this season and will be looking for a job next year. Maybe Kircus can give him a good reference at a Subway shop.:D

Did Elam sign the extension already?

And, enough with the 3 kickers. If Elam is going to be a Bronco, bring a punter in who can do kickoffs.

Den21vsBal19
12-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Did Elam sign the extension already?

And, enough with the 3 kickers. If Elam is going to be a Bronco, bring a punter in who can do kickoffs.
Considering our coverage teams, I didn't think Ernster did too bad a job on kickoffs last year..................

That's the key to our punt and ko games, if we want to improve

LEARN TO SODDING TACKLE!!!!!!!!! :tsk:

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 03:16 PM

Well IF the purge is on then signing a kick off guy that can also kick FG's, well that is the logical trail..

rcsodak
12-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Well IF the purge is on then signing a kick off guy that can also kick FG's, well that is the logical trail..

a 1-4 guy? C'mon, jr..... :laugh:

It's easy to see why others have been "purged", looking at their stats, or lack thereof, but Elam has been about the only consistant point maker for the team, would you not agree?

If you look around the league, there are ALOT of kickers that aren't making it into the endzone, so as long as ernster can show he's learned how to kick, and can put enough of a leg into kickoffs to limit the other team from 30yd returns, I think he may stick.

If not, there's always next year.......:confused:

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 07:23 PM
a 1-4 guy? C'mon, jr..... :laugh:

It's easy to see why others have been "purged", looking at their stats, or lack thereof, but Elam has been about the only consistent point maker for the team, would you not agree?

If you look around the league, there are ALOT of kickers that aren't making it into the end zone, so as long as ernster can show he's learned how to kick, and can put enough of a leg into kickoffs to limit the other team from 30yd returns, I think he may stick.

If not, there's always next year.......:confused:

I guess you did not see my sarcastic smilie hidden in there.

I said IF the purge is on.

Frankly I think there is so much heat going on it dove valley right now many of the members/players just might want to bail, on mikey ..

sneakers
12-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Elam does get hurt once a year it seems....

I don't think the move is about kicking field goals but kicking the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs.

broncosfanscott
12-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Elam does get hurt once a year it seems....

I don't think the move is about kicking field goals but kicking the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs.

Yeah, and I don't know why Sauerbrun couldn't do that considering where we play.

rcsodak
12-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah, and I don't know why Sauerbrun couldn't do that considering where we play.

You get to be his size, you have a hard time even lifting your leg, let alone extending it on a kickoff. :cool:

sneakers
12-20-2007, 01:24 AM
You get to be his size, you have a hard time even lifting your leg, let alone extending it on a kickoff. :cool:

I don't know too much about the mechanics of kicking...but I would imagine it would be pretty much the same physics as hitting a golf ball or swinging a bat...where speed (as in bat speed, or in football- leg speed) is more important than raw power.

Stargazer
12-20-2007, 04:04 AM
I would like to see the 3 kickers idea eliminated. There's just no reason to carry 3 kickers into a game. I'm not saying this guy is the solution, and Elam should be let go. But, if you're going to keep Elam around Denver must get a punter who can handle kickoffs.

sneakers
12-20-2007, 05:54 AM
I would like to see the 3 kickers idea eliminated. There's just no reason to carry 3 kickers into a game. I'm not saying this guy is the solution, and Elam should be let go. But, if you're going to keep Elam around Denver must get a punter who can handle kickoffs.

When did elam stop doing the kickoffs? It seems like forever.

Mike
12-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Usually I would agree...but at this point I don't think it really matters.

broncofanatic1987
12-20-2007, 10:41 AM

There's nothing wrong with having three kickers on game day. If it takes three to get the job done then that's what it takes.

For what ever reason, Elam doesn't seem to have the leg for the 50+ yarders this year or at least that appeared to be the case in the Houston game. Maybe he has a lingering injury that prevents him from being consistent from that range at the moment.

My guess is that Prater will not only handle the kickoffs for the last two games but also any 50+ yard field goals. Maybe he sticks around for training camp next year, but in the end, he'll probably be looking for a job somewhere else by next September. Given Elam's reliability in close games, I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of him even if the Broncos keep Prater for kickoffs.

pnbronco
12-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Yeah with 2 games left, no playoffs, why not try now and see what happens. It feels like preseason again.

Stargazer
12-20-2007, 01:41 PM

If you are referring to this season, then yes it doesn't really matter.

Stargazer
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah with 2 games left, no playoffs, why not try now and see what happens. It feels like preseason again.

And the real season is 10 months away.:tsk: