PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Sports: Broncos Team Report 10/8/09

TXBRONC
10-08-2009, 07:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/den/report#notes_quotes

The Broncos are one of the surprise teams in the NFL and are getting more media attention this week after beating the Cowboys last week. Included in the accolades is a Sports Illustrated cover. Tight end Daniel Graham is on the cover of the weekly magazine.

"We're still humble in here," Graham said. "Although people might be praising us more because we're 4-0, the people in this locker room know there's a lot more we can get better at."

Because coach Josh McDaniels never played up the underdog role to his team, he doesn't think much will change now that people are excited about the Broncos' start.

"We're preparing the same way we've prepared for every game this year, from the preseason through the first four, and we're going to continue to prepare that way this week," McDaniels said. "Nothing's going to change."

The Broncos might have to turn to rookie Knowshon Moreno to make his first career start this week and carry a majority of the rushing load with starter Correll Buckhalter likely sidelined with an ankle injury. The increased workload won't be a huge deal to Moreno, who is averaging 15 carries per game off the bench. Last week he fumbled in the third quarter, but McDaniels was impressed at how he bounced back.

"He's a tough kid who is going to handle whatever adversity he goes through," McDaniels said. "He popped right up from the fumble, ran to the sideline and ran back in the next time we had the ball, ran hard and did a lot of good things to help us win the game. Very tough-minded kid who we have great confidence in."

The Broncos will wear their 1960-61 throwback uniforms against the Patriots on Sunday to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the AFL. Many players aren't excited to wear the yellow jerseys with brown numbers, brown pants and the yellow and brown horizontally striped socks.

"The design is awful," Graham said.

By The Numbers:

6—Times in Broncos franchise history the team has started 4-0.

Quote To Note:

"We're playing the Patriots this week—how can you have any type of letdown when you're facing the Patriots?"

—Broncos safety Brian Dawkins on the team losing its edge after getting some positive national publicity.

gobroncsnv
10-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Would like to see Moreno get a bit more featuring. Not that I don't want Bucks in there, but want to see if the kid can carry a larger share of the load on his own. It's not like we do a run play every down any more. I know we run to keep'm off balance, and we really have great success when we run the ball, but our primary offense is the 5 yard handoff (code for short passes for those of you in Rio Linda). He should be able to keep it going, spelled by Hillis (c'mon Peyton!) and Jordan. But will be excited to see Moreno, can he take more of a load, not get dinged, etc, etc. This week, we'll get as good a test as I'll need to convince me whether we've already arrived, or at least belong on the same field with the best.

TXBRONC
10-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Would like to see Moreno get a bit more featuring. Not that I don't want Bucks in there, but want to see if the kid can carry a larger share of the load on his own. It's not like we do a run play every down any more. I know we run to keep'm off balance, and we really have great success when we run the ball, but our primary offense is the 5 yard handoff (code for short passes for those of you in Rio Linda). He should be able to keep it going, spelled by Hillis (c'mon Peyton!) and Jordan. But will be excited to see Moreno, can he take more of a load, not get dinged, etc, etc. This week, we'll get as good a test as I'll need to convince me whether we've already arrived, or at least belong on the same field with the best.

I went back looked at how many rushing attempts Denver had in each of the last four games and they're actually running the ball quite a bit. It averages out to 31.75 carries per game.

I also think McDaniels is working Moreno into a more featured role. The first game of season Buckhalter and Moreno each had 8 carries for the game. Since then Moreno has nearly doubled Buckhalter in carries in every game since then.