PDA

View Full Version : Prisco's 1st Quarter Grades featuring...The Broncos?

MasterShake
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
This guy is a hack usually, but he gives the Broncos a lotta love here. Is all this attention a good thing? We've been whining about it, here it is :lol::

First-quarter report: Parity a rarity as middle class erodes

Oct. 8, 2009
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

They can forget that this season. There is none.

As we reach the quarter point of the season, we have a league of elite and not-so-elite.

There are five 4-0 teams: the Denver Broncos, New Orleans Saints, New York Giants, Minnesota Vikings and Indianapolis Colts. By contrast, there are six winless teams and six others who have one victory, although one of those teams, the Arizona Cardinals, has only played three games.

Where has the middle class gone? Has the recession killed it, too?

We're four weeks into the season and you'd have to say a third of the league has no real chance to make the playoffs. One of the 1-3 teams could still rally to make the playoffs, since that's happened 22 times since the league expanded the playoff field to 12 teams in 1990. Five times we've had seasons where more than one 1-3 team has turned it around to make the playoffs, the last time in 2002.

It's not likely this time around. Look at the teams with 1-3 records: the Seattle Seahawks, Detroit Lions, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins. You see a playoff team in that group? I don't.

Parity? Some might say putrid.

There has been some good football, but with so many bad teams the schedule sometimes only includes four or five games a week that excite, even this early in the season.

Let's hope the next quarter brings some parity to the league, which would mean more compelling games. We sure don't want to be watching 10 to 12 teams with one, two or three victories come December.

Heck, Cleveland-Buffalo in Week 5 is bad enough. I can hardly wait for these late-season gems: St. Louis at Tennessee (Dec. 13), Buffalo at Kansas City (Dec. 13), Cleveland at Kansas City (Dec. 20), Oakland at Cleveland (Dec. 27) and Tennessee at Seattle (Jan. 3).

That's putrid.

Now here are the Quarterly Awards:

Quarterly Grades
Team Grade
Arizona Cardinals C
Atlanta Falcons B
Baltimore Ravens B+
Buffalo Bills C-
Carolina Panthers F
Chicago Bears B+
Cincinnati Bengals B+
Cleveland Browns D
Dallas Cowboys C
Denver Broncos A+
Detroit Lions C
Green Bay Packers B-
Houston Texans C
Indianapolis Colts A
Jacksonville Jaguars B-
Kansas City Chiefs D
Miami Dolphins C-
Minnesota Vikings A
New England Patriots B-
New Orleans Saints A
New York Giants A
New York Jets B+
Oakland Raiders D
Philadelphia Eagles B
Pittsburgh Steelers C
St. Louis Rams D
San Diego Chargers C-
San Francisco 49ers B+
Seattle Seahawks D
Tampa Bay Buccaneers D-
Tennessee Titans F
Washington Redskins C-

MVP: Colts QB Peyton Manning. He is on pace to break Dan Marino's single-season record for passing yards. He is also tied with Saints quarterback Drew Brees for the NFL lead with nine touchdown passes. Manning has had four consecutive 300-yard games. Is anybody noticing this? Runners-up: Brees, Chargers QB Philip Rivers, Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger, Ravens QB Joe Flacco, Vikings RB Adrian Peterson.

Offensive player: Manning. Who else? Runners-up: Rivers, Colts WR Reggie Wayne, Giants WR Steve Smith, Flacco, Brees, Peterson.

Defensive player: Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil. He plays on the top defense and is tied with Cincinnati's Antwan Odom for the league lead in sacks with eight. Dumervil is an explosive edge player who has made a smooth transition to outside rusher. Runners-up: Jets CB Darrelle Revis, Vikings DE Jared Allen, 49ers LB Patrick Willis, Broncos LB D.J. Williams, Saints S Darren Sharper, Colts DE Dwight Freeney.

Coach: Josh McDaniels, Broncos. He has his team 4-0. How? He's done a heck of a job, even if I still don't think trading Jay Cutler was the right move. Runners-up: Tom Coughlin, Giants; Brad Childress, Vikings; Jim Caldwell, Colts; Sean Payton, Saints; Rex Ryan, Jets.

Assistant coach: Mike Nolan, Broncos defensive coordinator. His defense is giving up 6½ points a game. That's amazing for a unit that was a disaster last season. Nolan is a big reason why Denver is 4-0. Runners-up: Gregg Williams, Saints defensive coordinator; Bill Sheridan, Giants defensive coordinator; Tom Moore, Colts offensive coordinator; Cam Cameron, Ravens offensive coordinator.

Offensive rookie: Ravens tackle Michael Oher. Forget that he has a movie about his life coming out soon. This kid is a player. The Ravens front office is raving about his play. Runners-up: Jets QB Mark Sanchez, Lions QB Matthew Stafford, Bears WR Johnny Knox, Titans WR Kenny Britt, Steelers WR Mike Wallace, Vikings WR-returner Percy Harvin.

Defensive rookie: Lions safety Louis Delmas. He plays with a veteran presence. The Lions bragged on him before the season, and now we know why. He will be a Pro Bowl player in another year. Runners-up: Seahawks LB Aaron Curry, Jaguars CB Derek Cox, Jaguars NT Terrance Knighton, Rams LB James Laurinaitis; Texans LB Brian Cushing.

Best trend: More passing and fewer running backs with big games. Why? The league is geared to the throwing game now. And teams are using the passing game more. Runner-up: More blitzing on defense. Rex Ryan and Gregg Williams bring it.

Perplexing trend: Fewer sacks by the elite sack men. Where have DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison been all season? Runner-up: Coaches who hide secrets like their starting quarterback and injuries. You fans have a right to know.

Best free-agent pickup: Vikings QB Brett Favre. After four games, you have to give him his props. He has played well. Can he hold up? Runners-up: Sharper, Broncos LB Andra Davis, Jets LB Bart Scott, Saints CB Jabari Greer, Broncos NT Ronald Fields, Falcons LB Mike Peterson, Broncos RB Correll Buckhalter.

Biggest disappointment (team): Titans. Hands down. It isn't even close. One more loss and they are done. After going 13-3 last season? Wow. Runners-up: Panthers, Seahawks, Bills, Dolphins.

Biggest disappointment (player): LaMarr Woodley. He doesn't have a sack and I picked him to be the Defensive Player of the Year. He isn't making an impact in other ways either. Runners-up: Merriman, Redskins DT Albert Haynesworth, Texans DE Antonio Smith, Texans RB Steve Slaton, Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell.

Most improved player: Giants WR Steve Smith. He leads the league in catches with 34 and has four touchdowns. Plaxico who? Runners-up: Chargers WR Vincent Jackson, Jaguars WR Mike Sims-Walker, Eagles QB Kevin Kolb, 49ers QB Shaun Hill, Steelers CB William Gay, Steelers T Max Starks.

Surprise team: Broncos. Anybody not from Denver who thought this team would be good, raise your hand. Just like I thought. Runners-up: Bengals, 49ers.

Surprise player: Smith. He has come on to spark the Giants passing game. It needed it without Burress. Runners-up: 49ers LB Manny Lawson, Sharper, Dumervil, Odom.

Best game: Indianapolis 27, Miami 23 (Week 2). The Dolphins controlled the football the entire game, but Manning went zip, zip, zip to the winning points in the final minute. Runners-up: Patriots 25, Bills 24 (Week 1); Giants 33, Cowboys 31 (Week 2); Vikings 27, 49ers 24 (Week 3); Vikings 30, Packers 23 (Week 4).

Best moment: Broncos WR Brandon Stokley plucking a deflected pass out of the air and racing 87 yards for the winning touchdown in the final seconds of a Week 1 victory over the Bengals.

Worst moment: Plaxico Burress going to prison, a sobering reminder to all players out there that they are not invincible.

honz
10-08-2009, 03:02 PM
If there is one thing I have learned about Bronco fans over the years, it is that we will always find something to whine about.

honz
10-08-2009, 03:06 PM
If there is one thing I have learned about Bronco fans over the years, it is that we will always find something to whine about.

Speaking of which...where is Brian Dawkins on the best FA pickups list? He would be ahead of all of the other 3 Broncos he listed on my list for sure.

topscribe
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Speaking of which...where is Brian Dawkins on the best FA pickups list? He would be ahead of all of the other 3 Broncos he listed on my list for sure.

I was going to say . . . but you stole my thunder . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Slick
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Shake forgot to highlight Ronald Fields. My man crush has fizzled out. It could have been magical shake.

MasterShake
10-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Shake forgot to highlight Ronald Fields. My man crush has fizzled out. It could have been magical shake.

It still can be, give me another chance! I'll fly out there and give you some CLEAN water to drink. Would that do it?

honz
10-08-2009, 03:59 PM
LMAO. Awesome avy, Shake.

Slick
10-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes. I just can't quit you.

MasterShake
10-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes. I just can't quit you.

Of course not. You like abusive milk shakes. You tell them you fell and hit your eye on the corner of the table, you hear?!