PDA

View Full Version : The old Marshall a welcome sight

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_13509626

Denver » Brandon Marshall the troublemaker is back, and for once, there couldn't be better news for the Denver Broncos.

No, this isn't the Brandon Marshall who this year demanded a trade, the Marshall who was on trial in August, the Marshall who threw a fit during a training camp practice, the Marshall who asked for a new contract.

What the Broncos have now is the Marshall who can't stop smiling in the locker room and pulls playful pranks on teammates in practice. The Marshall who bullies defensive backs, leads his team in receptions and scores touchdowns.

The mischievous Marshall was on display Wednesday, when he stole the helmets of rookie tight ends Richard Quinn and Marquez Branson during the stretching period before practice, and slyly hid them behind a goalpost. After more warm-up drills, Marshall finally gave the rookies a clue as to where they could reclaim their headgear.

"Don't make yourself miserable. Have fun, and that's what he's been doing," receiver Brandon Stokley said. "He's being the old Brandon."

Marshall repeatedly has declined to talk about what he learned from his nine days away from the Broncos while suspended, but it's obvious to everyone he has changed in the 32 days since he has been back. His production has improved each week too.

After catching four passes for only 27 yards in the season opener at Cincinnati, he has become an increasingly important part of the offense and has increased his yardage total in subsequent games, to 34 against Cleveland, 67 against Oakland and to a team-high 91 against Dallas.

"He's worked extremely hard the last couple of weeks," quarterback Kyle Orton said. "His attitude's been great and I know all the players are happy for him, to see him producing like he is now."

In one of his more revealing interviews of the past month, Marshall said Wednesday his improved play -- highlighted by his winning 51-yard touchdown reception against Dallas last weekend -- is directly tied to having harmony in his life.

That includes plans for future projects with the Rev. Leon Kelly's Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives center in Denver.

"I'm excited. I've never been more confident in my life and myself as far as the track I'm on, and I can honestly say that," Marshall said. "When you're doing the right thing off the field, it helps on the field, and vice versa. Just like coach always preaches complementary football, life is complementary too."

It doesn't necessarily mean Marshall is content with his $2.2 million salary, and there are no indications he and the Broncos will rework his contract anytime soon. But Marshall seems to understand that the way to earning big-time money is to continue to play like a big-time receiver.

He leads the Broncos with 16 catches for 219 yards and two touchdowns. He had only two touchdowns in the final seven games of 2008.

"He's put everything else aside and is not even worried about it," Stokley said. "He's able just to focus on football and having fun. When you do that, everything else will take care of itself."

Marshall also seems sincere when he talks about his respect for coach Josh McDaniels. At odds six weeks ago when McDaniels sent Marshall home for the final portion of the preseason, they memorably hugged twice Sunday, once on the sideline after Marshall's touchdown and again on the interview podium after the 17-10 victory over Dallas that improved the Broncos to 4-0.

"He was always a part of our team and he is certainly a big part of our team now," McDaniels said. "That hasn't changed and we're looking forward to him making more plays like that."