PDA

View Full Version : Tackles you have your eye on?

lex
12-19-2007, 12:39 AM
OK, I like Otah in Rd 1 if we dont go after McFadden. Who are some tackles you have your eye on in the draft and where would you consider drafting them? Our tackle situation has reached a crisis stage.

Stand Ablaze
12-19-2007, 02:04 AM
Go after McFadden? :eek:

That's very, very unlikely to happen.

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Okam:salute:

Skinny
12-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I've mentioned Gosder Cherilus from Boston College before as a prospect i liked in another thread and Dream mentioned he was dropping a bit if i remember correctly.

I've seen him play a bit as well as Chris Williams from Vanderbilt who is pretty athletic with some good tools from what i've seen. Alot of reports say he has alot of upside. Is he a reach around the lower or mid 1st??

Is Sam Baker from USC a possibility in that selection range?? I have'nt seen much of him to say and he seems to be an OT around in that range in the 1st round?? ... maybe not.

It looks to be like maybe 1 of those prospects will be within reach when we pick?? ... considering how our last 2 games go ...

Who ever it is if it is an OT ... let's hope they have the ability to play right away if need be ... in case of retirement or injury should force the situation. I know that's alot to ask for but hey ... that's football is'nt it.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2007, 03:08 PM
With Denver likely to pick in the top fifteen, that means two selections in the top fifty which is absolutely golden for this franchise. We should be able to get top players at either side (L or R) at those picks. Here are some notes from my prospect notebook I've been keeping over the year. As I've mentioned, OT is the position I have probably been watching the most.

SENIORS (TOP FIVE, INCLUDING SLEEPER PICK)

Jake Long - Versatile player that could play either spot in the NFL. . . Battle tested against top competition and has been consistent for most of his career. . . Good technique. . . Victim of nagging injuries. . . [Top Five]

Sam Baker - Polished lineman who has started for three years straight at LT for the Trojans, a perfect fit for the Broncos ZBS. . . In my opinion, a better pass protector than a run blocker. . . Seems to always be hampered with some sort of an injury, but has toughness and plays through them. . . Was mentioned that Denver was interested in him. . . [Top Twenty Five]

Jeff Otah - Honestly haven't seen him play other than a few switches of the channel, just seems everyone his high on him because of his size and athleticism, seems to have a lot of potential from what I've read. A likely top fifteen to top ten selection. [Top Fifteen]

Gosder Cherilus - Inconsistent performer for the Golden Eagles, but has the potential to be a very good RIGHT TACKLE in the NFL as he is struggling at LEFT TACKLE. . . Has great size and can be a force in the running game. . . Seems to bend at the waist more than the knees. . . Struggles against speed rushers off the edge. . . [Late Round One, Early Round Two]

Christopher Williams - Versatile prospect who would go a lot higher if it wasn't such a tremendous class at offensive tackle. . . Battle-tested against great competition. . . Used to block for Jay Cutler. . . Great in pass protection. . . above-average run blocker. . . Knee-bender. . . [Early Round Two, Middle Round Two]

John Greco - (Based off Ball State game) Plays nasty. . . Protects the QB well. . . A force in the running game, runs to his side go for very good yardage. . . Competition level might hurt him. . . Will not have a Joe Staley rise up the boards. . . [Early Day Two Selection, Top 100 Pick]

JUNIORS (TOP GUYS)

Ryan Clady - NFL ready prospect now. . . Experienced at RT as a redshirt freshman and has been at LT ever since 2006. . . Not as polished as some other tackles, but will be a strong anchor at either spot in the NFL. . . Only average discipline, gets flagged for too many false starts. . . Prototype player for the Broncos ZBS. . . Likely to come out, easily a top fifteen selection. . . [Top Fifteen]

Phil Loadholt - Gigantic, would possibly be the largest offensive tackle to be in the NFL as soon as he enters the NFL. . . Hate Oklahoma, but this kid is a difference maker. . . Nobody ever touches the QB. . . He's a reason for that. . . Plays mean and reminds me of Bryant McKinnie (not just size wise) could anchor either spot on the offensive line. . . Only one year of DI experience. . . Raw, but with enormous upside. . . Has everything that you cannot teach. . . [Top Five]

Michael Oher - Has versatility. . . Has played right guard and has played the last two seasons at left tackle. . . Enormous upside. . . Is a very good prospect who would be a top ten selection next year if he came out. . . A balanced tackle who can protect the quarterback and plow in the running game. . . If he came out this year, I'd say he'd be a middle first-round prospect. . . Still a little raw. . . [Top Twenty Five]

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 03:24 PM
With Denver likely to pick in the top fifteen, that means two selections in the top fifty which is absolutely golden for this franchise. We should be able to get top players at either side (L or R) at those picks. Here are some notes from my prospect notebook I've been keeping over the year. As I've mentioned, OT is the position I have probably been watching the most.

SENIORS (TOP FIVE, INCLUDING SLEEPER PICK)

Jake Long - Versatile player that could play either spot in the NFL. . . Battle tested against top competition and has been consistent for most of his career. . . Good technique. . . Victim of nagging injuries. . . [Top Five]

Sam Baker - Polished lineman who has started for three years straight at LT for the Trojans, a perfect fit for the Broncos ZBS. . . In my opinion, a better pass protector than a run blocker. . . Seems to always be hampered with some sort of an injury, but has toughness and plays through them. . . Was mentioned that Denver was interested in him. . . [Top Twenty Five]
Jeff Otah - Honestly haven't seen him play other than a few switches of the channel, just seems everyone his high on him because of his size and athleticism, seems to have a lot of potential from what I've read. A likely top fifteen to top ten selection. [Top Fifteen]

Gosder Cherilus - Inconsistent performer for the Golden Eagles, but has the potential to be a very good RIGHT TACKLE in the NFL as he is struggling at LEFT TACKLE. . . Has great size and can be a force in the running game. . . Seems to bend at the waist more than the knees. . . Struggles against speed rushers off the edge. . . [Late Round One, Early Round Two]

Christopher Williams - Versatile prospect who would go a lot higher if it wasn't such a tremendous class at offensive tackle. . . Battle-tested against great competition. . . Used to block for Jay Cutler. . . Great in pass protection. . . above-average run blocker. . . Knee-bender. . . [Early Round Two, Middle Round Two]

John Greco - (Based off Ball State game) Plays nasty. . . Protects the QB well. . . A force in the running game, runs to his side go for very good yardage. . . Competition level might hurt him. . . Will not have a Joe Staley rise up the boards. . . [Early Day Two Selection, Top 100 Pick]

JUNIORS (TOP GUYS)

Ryan Clady - NFL ready prospect now. . . Experienced at RT as a redshirt freshman and has been at LT ever since 2006. . . Not as polished as some other tackles, but will be a strong anchor at either spot in the NFL. . . Only average discipline, gets flagged for too many false starts. . . Prototype player for the Broncos ZBS. . . Likely to come out, easily a top fifteen selection. . . [Top Fifteen]

Phil Loadholt - Gigantic, would possibly be the largest offensive tackle to be in the NFL as soon as he enters the NFL. . . Hate Oklahoma, but this kid is a difference maker. . . Nobody ever touches the QB. . . He's a reason for that. . . Play in mean and reminds me of Bryant McKinnie (not just size wise) could anchor either spot on the offensive line. . . Only one year of DI experience. . . Raw, but with enormous upside. . . Has everything that you cannot teach. . . [Top Five]

Michael Oher - Has versatility. . . Has played right guard and has played the last two seasons at left tackle. . . Enormous upside. . . Is a very good prospect who would be a top ten selection next year if he came out. . . A balanced tackle who can protect the quarterback and plow in the running game. . . If he came out this year, I'd say he'd be a middle first-round prospect. . . Still a little raw. . . Top Twenty Five

Looks like 6 taken in the top tweny five is there that much demand at OT in the first round? Nine in the first two rounds.. That sounds like alot of OTs out of 32 teams..

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Looks like 6 taken in the top tweny five is there that much demand at OT in the first round? Nine in the first two rounds.. That sounds like alot of OTs out of 32 teams..

I'm just saying that'd where they'd be slotted to pick in my belief, and yeah - there is a lot of demands for tackles in the NFL.

According to NFL Draft Scout, 24 tackles are drafted each year on average. (Five year trend.) In 2007, there were 22. 2006, there were 27. 2005, there were 25. 2004, there were 23. 2003, there was 21. About 38 tackles who are undrafted make it into NFL camps. That means 62 total offensive tackles who are rookies make it into an NFL camp.

There is a huge priority, and with so many teams needing a tackle this year, and with as many good ones as there are, they are going to fly. I'd say five tackles will be taken in the first 35 picks. . . at least.

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm just saying that'd where they'd be slotted to pick in my belief, and yeah - there is a lot of demands for tackles in the NFL.

According to NFL Draft Scout, 24 tackles are drafted each year on average. (Five year trend.) In 2007, there were 22. 2006, there were 27. 2005, there were 25. 2004, there were 23. 2003, there was 21. About 38 tackles who are undrafted make it into NFL camps. That means 62 total offensive tackles who are rookies make it into an NFL camp.

There is a huge priority, and with so many teams needing a tackle this year, and with as many good ones as there are, they are going to fly. I'd say five tackles will be taken in the first 35 picks. . . at least.

so who all needs one?

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, this is the list Spring came up with on the Mane, and I'd agree with him:

Falcons
Rams
Chiefs
Raiders
Texans
Bears
Lions
Broncos
Chargers
Steelers
Cowboys
Packers

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Falcons
Rams
Chiefs
Raiders
Texans
Bears
Lions
Broncos
Chargers
Steelers
Cowboys
Packers

So a good OT will be available in the second?

God knows we do not need another foster debacle..

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2007, 05:17 PM
So a good OT will be available in the second?

God knows we do not need another foster debacle..

It's possible, but I don't know if I'd necessarily bank on it. There's a huge difference between a Ryan Clady and a Christopher Williams. This is one of the drafts where Denver would probably benefit to trade down a few selections, pick up a few more picks and see who falls to them. They have enough ammo to trade up (from Day 2 picks) if they were really worried about getting the player they wanted.

Who knows what they'll do though.

Denver should have a good shot at getting a nice tackle in the first two rounds, but as I mentioned - there's a big difference between the top five, and those there after.

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 06:12 PM
It's possible, but I don't know if I'd necessarily bank on it. There's a huge difference between a Ryan Clady and a Christopher Williams. This is one of the drafts where Denver would probably benefit to trade down a few selections, pick up a few more picks and see who falls to them. They have enough ammo to trade up (from Day 2 picks) if they were really worried about getting the player they wanted.

Who knows what they'll do though.

Denver should have a good shot at getting a nice tackle in the first two rounds, but as I mentioned - there's a big difference between the top five, and those there after.

But it has also been proved that if the tackle has any talent at all, he can probably play well within the ZBS any way. We do not need a 340 pound OT to take Lepsis spot, Not that I would see then dumping him and putting a rookie in there..

We have been playing with hand me downs for almost a decade now except foster that is...

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, it has nothing to do with size. I'm talking about talent differences between Clady and Williams (just any two) and the difference is tremendous.

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, it has nothing to do with size. I'm talking about talent differences between Clady and Williams (just any two) and the difference is tremendous.

Are you telling me that anyone of these guys are not potentially better that Lepsis and pears.

An UDFA TE and and UD OT.

That we have to spend an #1 on one to upgrade either OT position?.

I do not want to waste a high draft choice on the best because with our ZBS we have managed with FA's for the most part or 4-7 rounders..

Skinny
12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for your input on this subject Dream ... much appreciated. :salute:

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Are you telling me that anyone of these guys are not potentially better that Lepsis and pears.

I do not want to waste a high draft choice on the best because with our ZBS we have managed with FA's for the most part or 4-7 rounders..

Okay, I can't understand what you're trying to say?

Yes, these guys are MUCH better than who we have now, and NO - we can no longer get by with mid to late round selections and undrafted players. No team that gets a franchise QB does that, and it's time Denver invested a high selection (other than Harris) on a franchise tackle to protect arguably this teams best offensive weapon.

lex
12-19-2007, 10:09 PM

YES!!! Let me ask you something. If you were to look at Denvers entire draft history and see that punter or kicker are the only positions where we've never had a draft bust, would you advocate only drafting a punter or a kicker? Pears is a UFA who belongs on the practice squad. Just because he is on the field, it doesnt mean he's good. This should be obvious. And Lepsis is on the backside of his career and trying to overcome an injury...and his play has been dreadful.

Tackle has reached a crisis stage. Yeah, sometimes taking on these projects works out because of the nuance to the ZBS but they also take like 2 years. They are projects, which is why theyre drafted late, if at all.

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Okay, I can't understand what you're trying to say?

Yes, these guys are MUCH better than who we have now, and NO - we can no longer get by with mid to late round selections and undrafted players. No team that gets a franchise QB does that, and it's time Denver invested a high selection (other than Harris) on a franchise tackle to protect arguably this teams best offensive weapon.

YES!!! Let me ask you something. If you were to look at Denvers entire draft history and see that punter or kicker are the only positions where we've never had a draft bust, would you advocate only drafting a punter or a kicker? Pears is a UFA who belongs on the practice squad. Just because he is on the field, it doesnt mean he's good. This should be obvious. And Lepsis is on the backside of his career and trying to overcome an injury...and his play has been dreadful.

Tackle has reached a crisis stage. Yeah, sometimes taking on these projects works out because of the nuance to the ZBS but they also take like 2 years. They are projects, which is why theyre drafted late, if at all.

Dream you answered my question.. If they are indeed better than what we have and can get one on the second round then by all means do so.. But to spend Top 15 choice on one when any are better than what we have, IMO is not going to help the real problem on this team and that is DL. We have to get a DT we have needed one forever let alone two of them.. Until we fix that issue this team will not stop the bleeding.

I'm not saying live with Lepsis or pears, but we all know that mikey is not going into next season with two rookies OT to protect Jay..

Perhaps a rookie on the Right side with Lepsis back to almost normal on the left with Graham next to him we have a stop gap until the next year.. That is unless we can find a FA worth a flip..

I have been advocating getting a bigger OLINE for three or four years.. With the crisis at DT that should be our #1 choice this year.. To stop that bleeding..

dogfish
12-19-2007, 11:50 PM

Falcons
Rams
Chiefs
Raiders
Texans
Bears
Lions
Broncos
Chargers
Steelers
Cowboys
Packers

i'd take the cowgirls off that list since they drafted two tackles last year. . . a few more teams may end up being on the list after FA, though-- the panthers if they lose jordan gross, the seahawks if they lose sean locklear, and the eagles if they cut john runyan loose. . . also, the redskins have a very highly paid pair of tackles who can't seem to stay healthy, and i wouldn't be surprised if they decided to look for a younger, cheaper option that jon jansen. . .

lex
12-20-2007, 12:16 AM
Dream you answered my question.. If they are indeed better than what we have and can get one on the second round then by all means do so.. But to spend Top 15 choice on one when any are better than what we have, IMO is not going to help the real problem on this team and that is DL. We have to get a DT we have needed one forever let alone two of them.. Until we fix that issue this team will not stop the bleeding.

I'm not saying live with Lepsis or pears, but we all know that mikey is not going into next season with two rookies OT to protect Jay..

Perhaps a rookie on the Right side with Lepsis back to almost normal on the left with Graham next to him we have a stop gap until the next year.. That is unless we can find a FA worth a flip..

I have been advocating getting a bigger OLINE for three or four years.. With the crisis at DT that should be our #1 choice this year.. To stop that bleeding..

I used to be an advocate of getting a DT but it doesnt really make sense to draft a DT as opposed to signing one. Our core players on the DLine are already young as it is. Id rather not perpetually have a young guy on the line who is dealing with a learning curve. A FA DT makes more sense for where were at.

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 02:53 AM
I used to be an advocate of getting a DT but it doesnt really make sense to draft a DT as opposed to signing one. Our core players on the DLine are already young as it is. Id rather not perpetually have a young guy on the line who is dealing with a learning curve. A FA DT makes more sense for where were at.

The problem is most teams with a good to great DTs just do not let them go.. They know what they have and find a way to re sign them.. Or they can franchise them Quality DTs either cost to much to deal for or they stay at home.

They are hard to find unless they are over the hill like Sam Adams seemed to be..

One way or the other that is our Achilles heels and we have to find a fix for that or suffer just one more year..

With Thomas getting all the playing time he did this year, another off season to watch film and constant coaching he should be ready to set up and be the Man in the middle.. After all prior to his stupidity in school most picked him as one of the top two DT coming up in the draft. It looks like we got a steal.. I think he would have been even better this year had he played all of last year.. This is a position that a talented rookie can make an impact at.. Even if he is surrounded by other newbies, second players..

SmilinAssasSin27
12-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Gimme Otah from Pitt. Dude can play. Long is screaming bust to me. He may have played Big 10 competition (which has very few legit pass rushers), but he has also been abused from time to time...most recently vs Ohio State.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-23-2007, 07:14 PM
I still just sign a FA tackle like Jordan Gross and focus on the D in the draft.

lex
12-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Gimme Otah from Pitt. Dude can play. Long is screaming bust to me. He may have played Big 10 competition (which has very few legit pass rushers), but he has also been abused from time to time...most recently vs Ohio State.

I agree on Otah but I think Long would be a very good right tackle especially in our system.

G_Money
12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I still just sign a FA tackle like Jordan Gross and focus on the D in the draft.

If we go FA, Jordan Gross is my top OT on my wishlist. That kid can really play and is still getting better. I'd get Gross for LT, move Lepsis to RT where he can get a few more years and throw Pears back into a backup role (or to the curb, whichever you like). Draft a center (there should be some good ones available on the 2nd day - it looks like that sort of year for centers where none of them are great but several of them could be really good) and hope Hamilton can last there a couple of seasons while you break the new kid in.

If Dinger is still around as OC, though, my guess is we throw money at Faneca (not a bad person to throw money at) and will still need an OT.

Clady's the best OT in the draft, IMO, so we'll see if he comes out. He might not...but I'm betting he does.

Oher is a really, really interesting player - but I think he's going back to school.

Cherilus has the makings of a great RT, but we just drafted a guy for that position last year in Harris (albeit a guy with back issues and other injury problems) so I'd hate to spend another 1st day pick on the same position.

Otah and Baker would both help our size issues. We could pick up a guy like Cousins in the later rounds, though I worry that being Jamaican and playing college ball in Texas he may suck hard come cold December in Colorado.

But I just can't see us taking a 1st day OT, so even though I'd love to see Clady in a Denver uni I'm hoping we take care of business in the FA market.

~G

BeefStew25
12-26-2007, 06:06 PM
G, you are going to be a staple in the offseason. Let me know if you need a foot rub or something.