PDA

View Full Version : SI's Ross Tucker: maybe these guys are good

titan
10-07-2009, 07:46 PM
From http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/10/07/radar/index.html

1. Maybe these no-names on Denver's defense are actually pretty good.

Yes, Josh McDaniels has done a fantastic job getting his Broncos to play both smart and hard for him after an offseason full of controversy. And, like everyone else, I list Mike Nolan as the leading candidate for assistant coach of the year based on what he has done with the defense in Denver. But maybe, just maybe, the guys Nolan is coaching are not as bad as pundits seemed to think they were.

Admit it. You still don't know much about the majority of the starters in Denver's front seven. Do the names Ronald Fields, Ryan McBean, Kenny Peterson or Mario Haggan ring a bell? Didn't think so. After I surveyed that list and watched them during training camp, I said there were multiple 3-4 teams in the league whose second units were superior to the Broncos starters. But the truth is that sometimes non-descript players play well because they completely buy in to what their coaches are telling them, with no ego or need to be the guy making all the plays or getting all of the ink. It is an oft used cliché, but it truly is amazing what can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit.

To be fair, the Broncos stellar secondary is loaded with proven performers like Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins. But the players with recognizable names coming into the season in the linebacking corps included a player who flamed out with the Browns (Andra Davis), a guy who is best known around the league for not improving one iota since his rookie season (D.J. Williams), and quite possibly the shortest outside linebacker in the history of the 3-4 defense (5-foot-11 Elvis Dumervil). Yet somehow this hodgepodge of players is giving up fewer than seven points per game. Amazing.

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Just proves what douche bags most "Experts" are!

Day1BroncoFan
10-07-2009, 08:03 PM
exspurt

ex= has been
spurt= drip under pressure

gobroncsnv
10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
happens in football alot... I would love to have me some worst to first this season. And the experts NEVER predict that. Someone buy them each a round at the Crow Cafe.

Me, just enjoying the ride so far.

frenchfan
10-08-2009, 01:40 AM
You don't build a team by putting names on a list but by putting complementary players that will work for the teams not only for their stats on the field... players that will understand and respect the schemes...

When you can add "stars" who buy into that, that's great because :
- you improve the level of your team
- the stars will shine anyway
So everyone will be pleased...

But it's start with the TEAM first... Ask BM... ;) :D
A "noname team" is often better than a team full of names that can't play together. May be that's what we call chemistry...

Dirk
10-08-2009, 05:59 AM
After this year, they won't be the "no names" any more. People will be :confused: over why they didn't go after some of these free agents.

But in reality it wouldn't have mattered, it all starts with the "buy-in". If a player whether he is a star or not doesn't buy in, then it still doesn't work.

I am so pleased that all the negativity and nay-saying has subsided. I was so sick of hearing about it and reading about it.

Now lets keep this "no name" team moving forward and whoop the Pats!!

SoCalImport
10-08-2009, 06:21 AM
From http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/10/07/radar/index.html
coming into the season in the linebacking corps included a player who flamed out with the Browns (Andra Davis)

From what I saw last sunday it's Dre Davis that's making the reads and basically "QBing" the front seven right now. He's always pointing things out and making sure guys are where they need to be.

What we got in Davis is an experienced leader IMHO.

Just what the doctor ordered because with all his physical talent, DJ has never been a vocal leader type for us.

I can't be the only one that saw this.

broncofaninfla
10-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Mike Nolan is a mastermind

claymore
10-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Mike Nolan is a mastermind

I hope he stays a couple years. JMCD might not look so good without him.

Dreadnought
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
From what I saw last sunday it's Dre Davis that's making the reads and basically "QBing" the front seven right now. He's always pointing things out and making sure guys are where they need to be.

What we got in Davis is an experienced leader IMHO.

Just what the doctor ordered because with all his physical talent, DJ has never been a vocal leader type for us.

I can't be the only one that saw this.

Agreed 100% Davis has been rock solid and a huge pickup for us.