PDA

View Full Version : Will the Broncos lose Dumvervil as a free agent?

Tned
10-07-2009, 07:32 AM
While he probably won't keep up the pace he is on (on pace for 30+ sacks), anyway you cut it, he is likely to finish with some gaudy sack numbers.

Will the Broncos be able to resign him? I believe he is in the same contract situation as Marshall -- a restricted free agent if next year is an uncapped year (the league/players don't sign a new CBA for 2010) or an unrestricted free agent if there is a new CBA in place for 2010.

While there is a new front office in place, historically, when we get a guy that can sack the QB, we lose him in free agency. Do you see that happening here?

Or, will the Broncos pay whatever it takes to keep Doom on the team?

Az Snake
10-07-2009, 07:38 AM
No we won't lose Doom.
Yes, they will work out a deal.
I see Doom at the Pro Bowl.
Here's hoping Doom stays healthy;
That will be the bottom line in this scenario.

Buff
10-07-2009, 07:41 AM
They won't let him walk. This defense isn't talented enough to lose young core players. Worst case scenario, they franchise him or tender him at the highest level.

Tned
10-07-2009, 07:42 AM
No we won't lose Doom.
Yes, they will work out a deal.
I see Doom at the Pro Bowl.
Here's hoping Doom stays healthy;
That will be the bottom line in this scenario.

Sure hope you are right. I have to imagine he will be an early, off season priority. He played very well in a below average defense, and now we are all seeing how impressive he is when teams don't consider him the only pass rushing threat.

Tned
10-07-2009, 07:44 AM
They won't let him walk. This defense isn't talented enough to lose young core players. Worst case scenario, they franchise him or tender him at the highest level.

If he's an RFA next year, then I agree, they will definately put the 1st and 3rd (I believe that's the high tender) tender on him. If by some miracle the players and owners get a CBA done, then he would be an unrestricted free agent (I believe) and then it would be sign him, lose him or franchise him.

GEM
10-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I think under Shanny we would lose him. He didn't value core DEFENSIVE players as can be seen by how many got away from us.

Under McD, I think he will do what he needs to to keep him.

Buff
10-07-2009, 07:48 AM
If he's an RFA next year, then I agree, they will definately put the 1st and 3rd (I believe that's the high tender) tender on him. If by some miracle the players and owners get a CBA done, then he would be an unrestricted free agent (I believe) and then it would be sign him, lose him or franchise him.

We'll franchise him for 2 years in a row before we'd just let him walk in free agency, IMO... Then it will be the ol' Terrell Suggs argument on whether he should get DE or OLB $$.

Traveler
10-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Tned-

Remember this isn't your "old" FO. Shanahan and company wouldn't know a good defensive player if he slapped them in the face. Okay, that was a little over the top, but you understand where I'm headed.

In their short time in charge, Xanders, McDaniels, and Nolan have hit on pretty much every defensive player they've acquired. Throw in the fact that Dumervil sees the potential afforded him in this new scheme. Both sides will do what's necessary to keep Elvis in a Bronco uniform.

SOCALORADO.
10-07-2009, 07:59 AM
We'll franchise him for 2 years in a row before we'd just let him walk in free agency, IMO... Then it will be the ol' Terrell Suggs argument on whether he should get DE or OLB $$.

Yeah, he stays no matter what.
His position in the LB corps is just absolutely waay too hard to fill.
Once you get a guy like Doom, that plays his position this well, you keep him at all costs, and if it came down to picking between marshall and Doom, keep Doom and draft another WR.
His value to the defense if much more important than Marshall who could be replaced with a FA like Boldin or a drafted player.
:defense:

Dirk
10-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I think Doom stays because Doom will want to stay. They will work something out. Doom seems to be a down to earth guy that is greatful and feels blessed to be playing in the NFL and is now happier than ever with his new found success. I don't believe he will desire to walk away from that for money.

Denver will sign him to a good deal because Doom wants to be a Bronco.

broncofaninfla
10-07-2009, 08:14 AM
No way we let him walk. I bet a deal will be in place sometime this season.

LRtagger
10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I don't worry so much about Doom. I have faith that the FO will lock him up long term.

The player I worry about losing the most is Dawkins. How many more years can he play? 2 or 3 at the most? It is imperative that we find someone who can replace his intensity and leadership on the field. IMO he has been a huge reason for the turnaround on defense.

MileHighCrew
10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
We will have to wait and see how the new powers that be handle these contracts. Under Shanny Bye-Bye Doom, now????

Dirk
10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Well, it would seem that this coaching staff and FO are all about getting smart players that want to be a part of a TEAM and not all about themselves. And Doom fits their philosophy.

Tned
10-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I think Doom stays because Doom will want to stay. They will work something out. Doom seems to be a down to earth guy that is greatful and feels blessed to be playing in the NFL and is now happier than ever with his new found success. I don't believe he will desire to walk away from that for money.

Denver will sign him to a good deal because Doom wants to be a Bronco.

I don't have quite as much faith in the "wants to be a Bronco". It seems to be very rare in the NFL for a player to give a home team discount. If the Broncos match the going rates in free agency, then I can see him signing with the Broncos, because he wants to be a Bronco, but not willing to give up dollars, just because he wants to be here.

Doom could be one of those exceptions. Every once in a while, we read or hear about a player that gave up a more lucrative deal, in order to stay on his team, but it is pretty rare.

dogfish
10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't have quite as much faith in the "wants to be a Bronco". It seems to be very rare in the NFL for a player to give a home team discount. If the Broncos match the going rates in free agency, then I can see him signing with the Broncos, because he wants to be a Bronco, but not willing to give up dollars, just because he wants to be here.

Doom could be one of those exceptions. Every once in a while, we read or hear about a player that gave up a more lucrative deal, in order to stay on his team, but it is pretty rare.

which is why we SHOULD be talking contract with him NOW, while we have exclusive negotiating rights and there aren't any competing offers on the table to compare it to. . . why wait and let other teams drive the price out of our range? i suppose they might want to wait a few more games to see if he can stay consistent, but IMO he's already proven that he can play the position, and with twenty sacks his first two years we already knew he could rush the passer. . . at this point, every time he goes out and puts up another sack or two, it adds more dollars to what we're going to pay f we want to keep him. . . i'd like to see it done now, with the contract suggs just sined as a model. . .

but honestly, i'm afraid we're more likely going to wait. . . given that they've already done some negotiating with marshall, i'm guessing that he's probably first in line-- not my choice, but it would be perceived as a slap in his face to extend somebody else at this point, and just when things are smoothing out with him. . . part of the problem may be that kuper and scheffler are also up for new deals if we want to keep them. . . IMO it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that chef's going to be gone, which really sucks-- i just hope we don't find ourselves having to choose between doom and kupes, but it might come down to that. . . if i had to make a wild guess right now, i'd say we probably extend marshall, and then tag doom if the CBA is signed and he gets to unrestricted free agency this year. . . .

edit: while i agree that he's not too likely to take any kind of serious "hometown discount," i do think that if we made him a good faith, FAIR offer now, there's a pretty good chance that he'd take it rather than waiting for FA to try for a moonshot deal. . . . he's a guy with a major chip on his shoulder after being a beast in college and then dropping to the fourth due to his size, and i'm sure he appreciates the opportunity he was given here. . . plus he's had really positive things to say about both mcdaniels, and nolan's defense and his role in it. . . i also think he's astute enough to look at deals like the one washington gave haynesworth (touted as a hundred mil, but a number of observers have said that with the way it's structured, he most likely will never see half of it), and understand the difference between the actual likely value of a contract, and the creative fluff numbers that get added to some big deals to make them look more impressive as a sop to the guy's pride. . . i don't see him leaving denver just for appearance's sake, unless there's a significant difference in the real, likely-to-be-attained value of the contract. . .

also, guys get comfortable in the city they've been living in. . . i don't know if elvis has a family, but he certainly must have a home and plenty of friends here. . . guys also get comfortable with their teammates and coaches, and their role in the scheme-- and he isn't going to find another situation that'll give him more chances to shine than what he's getting right now. . . plus, he's a proud guy, and i kinda suspect that after enduring last year plus a few previous late-season defensive collapses, he'd like to stay around and be part of a really good denver defense, one that was built around players like himself rather than joining an already established D somewhere else, or worse going to a shitty D like he played for last year. . . no way of knowing for sure, but i bet he'd be happy to stay here for a fair deal, rather than waiting to push the greed envelope in FA. . . a deal signed now has a ton of added value because of the security it gives the player-- most smart guys will take a couple million less (not twenty million less!) in exchange for the protection against injury that having a deal signed and the bonus in the bank gives them. . . .

TXBRONC
10-07-2009, 09:24 AM
While he probably won't keep up the pace he is on (on pace for 30+ sacks), anyway you cut it, he is likely to finish with some gaudy sack numbers.

Will the Broncos be able to resign him? I believe he is in the same contract situation as Marshall -- a restricted free agent if next year is an uncapped year (the league/players don't sign a new CBA for 2010) or an unrestricted free agent if there is a new CBA in place for 2010.

While there is a no front office in place, historically, when we get a guy that can sack the QB, we lose him in free agency. Do you see that happening here?

On thing I think could play a big part in Denver resigning him is might very well be how far along Ayers is in his development.

Dirk
10-07-2009, 09:26 AM

I sure hope so!

CoachChaz
10-07-2009, 09:32 AM
On thing I think could play a big part in Denver resigning him is might very well be how far along Ayers is in his development.

I agree...and I see nice progress from Ayers from week to week. But, I think Ayers could also play the other side. If he progresses well and Doom stays, we could have something on the edge that would rival the Harrison/Woodley combo.

TXBRONC
10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
which is why we SHOULD be talking contract with him NOW, while we have exclusive negotiating rights and there aren't any competing offers on the table to compare it to. . . why wait and let other teams drive the price out of our range? i suppose they might want to wait a few more games to see if he can stay consistent, but IMO he's already proven that he can play the position, and with twenty sacks his first two years we already knew he could rush the passer. . . at this point, every time he goes out and puts up another sack or two, it adds more dollars to what we're going to pay f we want to keep him. . . i'd like to see it done now, with the contract suggs just sined as a model. . .

but honestly, i'm afraid we're more likely going to wait. . . given that they've already done some negotiating with marshall, i'm guessing that he's probably first in line-- not my choice, but it would be perceived as a slap in his face to extend somebody else at this point, and just when things are smoothing out with him. . . part of the problem may be that kuper and scheffler are also up for new deals if we want to keep them. . . IMO it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that chef's going to be gone, which really sucks-- i just hope we don't find ourselves having to choose between doom and kupes, but it might come down to that. . . if i had to make a wild guess right now, i'd say we probably extend marshall, and then tag doom if the CBA is signed and he gets to unrestricted free agency this year. . . .

While I think the development of Ayers could play a big role in whether or not Dumervil is resigned what you've said here I think also figures into the equation.

TXBRONC
10-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I agree...and I see nice progress from Ayers from week to week. But, I think Ayers could also play the other side. If he progresses well and Doom stays, we could have something on the edge that would rival the Harrison/Woodley combo.

This is something would I love to see.

dogfish
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM

that's what i'm talkin' about! like ernie accorsi said when they drafted kiwi, good pass rushers are tough to find and you can never have too many of them. . .

Tned
10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
I sure hope so!

Me, too.

edit: while i agree that he's not too likely to take any kind of serious "hometown discount," i do think that if we made him a good faith, FAIR offer now, there's a pretty good chance that he'd take it rather than waiting for FA to try for a moonshot deal. . . . he's a guy with a major chip on his shoulder after being a beast in college and then dropping to the fourth due to his size, and i'm sure he appreciates the opportunity he was given here. . . plus he's had really positive things to say about both mcdaniels, and nolan's defense and his role in it. . . i also think he's astute enough to look at deals like the one washington gave haynesworth (touted as a hundred mil, but a number of observers have said that with the way it's structured, he most likely will never see half of it), and understand the difference between the actual likely value of a contract, and the creative fluff numbers that get added to some big deals to make them look more impressive as a sop to the guy's pride. . . i don't see him leaving denver just for appearance's sake, unless there's a significant difference in the real, likely-to-be-attained value of the contract. . .

also, guys get comfortable in the city they've been living in. . . i don't know if elvis has a family, but he certainly must have a home and plenty of friends here. . . guys also get comfortable with their teammates and coaches, and their role in the scheme-- and he isn't going to find another situation that'll give him more chances to shine than what he's getting right now. . . plus, he's a proud guy, and i kinda suspect that after enduring last year plus a few previous late-season defensive collapses, he'd like to stay around and be part of a really good denver defense, one that was built around players like himself rather than joining an already established D somewhere else, or worse going to a shitty D like he played for last year. . . no way of knowing for sure, but i bet he'd be happy to stay here for a fair deal, rather than waiting to push the greed envelope in FA. . . a deal signed now has a ton of added value because of the security it gives the player-- most smart guys will take a couple million less (not twenty million less!) in exchange for the protection against injury that having a deal signed and the bonus in the bank gives them. . . .

I could definately see him taking the 'sure money' of a fair deal negotiated mid-season, as it gives him the contract, presumably a big signing bonus, and most important, protects him from injury. If he gets to the point of comparing offers, then I just think it is unlikely he would take significantly less to stay in Denver.

Dr Velcro
10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Knowing his character off the field, he's not going to go anywhere.

He's loyal if nothing else. If he's treated well and feels he has a family & career with that team, that will be what makes him stay/ go.

He wants to leave a legacy with one team. He's not going to chase a dollar.

IMHO

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
:throwrock: don't even suggest that we lose him :D. In times past I think it would have been a fore gone conclusion that he would be gone. Trevor Pryce, Bertrand Barry, and The list goes on. Nolan is a different animal and I think he stays no matter what it takes. Doom will also be motivated to stay with this unit..the scheme has allowed him to shine!

Day1BroncoFan
10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I think he stays especially if he gets a fair offer. He may be thinking he can get a ring if he stays in Denver and that would be worth maybe a little less pay.

I think we should make him an offer before the season ends.

TXBRONC
10-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Knowing his character off the field, he's not going to go anywhere.

He's loyal if nothing else. If he's treated well and feels he has a family & career with that team, that will be what makes him stay/ go.

He wants to leave a legacy with one team. He's not going to chase a dollar.

IMHO

The thing I think Tned and Dogfish have hit upon has to do with timing. If Denver works a new deal for him during the season that may very well work to their favor but if they wait then the chase of leaving for a better deal become likely. By no means does that mean he's a greedy player it would be sound business decision.

rationalfan
10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Looking at the "Patriot Way," defensive stars were a priority to get re-signed. I think people should be more worried about losing Brandon Marshall. New England hasn't shown a habit of keeping offensive stars who sit out, threaten to hold out, gripe about contracts, etc.

Day1BroncoFan
10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Are we talking about the patsies?

Lonestar
10-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Bleicheck has rarely signed his own FA to huge contracts.

If we use that a yardstick Doom is probably gone IF he gets a big head and thinks he is bigger than the TEAM.

Each time it came down to huge contracts other than Brady I'm pretty sure he has allowed them to walk. Bledso, several pro bowl DB's, a couple DL types the last being seymour.

Now he has also taken cast offs from other teams and built a damned fine team. For decent money but no back breaking contracts.

So if Josh follows this model if Doom gets a big head and is looking for franchise money, I think they would allow him to walk for a 1st and a 3rd in a heartbeat.

Now that is also predicated on Bill always having a player on the shelf ready to step in to the hole created by the divorce.

For the most part players in NE want to be there because it is a winning program. Are we there yet? Or on the verge of being there and can the TEAM feel it?

If they can then Doom may take less to stay "home".

Sent via Blackberry by altell.

dogfish
10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Looking at the "Patriot Way," defensive stars were a priority to get re-signed. I think people should be more worried about losing Brandon Marshall. New England hasn't shown a habit of keeping offensive stars who sit out, threaten to hold out, gripe about contracts, etc.

i don't think that's a hundred percent accurate. . . they made keeping their defensive linemen a priority, but other than bruschi they haven't made much effort to keep back seven players. . . they cut lawyer milloy right before the start of a season, let ty law and asante samuel walk, cut rosevelt colvin, and they just traded vrabel and ellis hobbs. . . they also haven't rushed to extend wilfork. . .

i think brady's the only untouchable in new england. . .

also, while it's certainly worth looking at, there's no guarantee that mcdaniels will take the same approach to personnel that bellyache/pioli did-- although i'm sure there will be some similarities. . . .

Dr Velcro
10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
The thing I think Tned and Dogfish have hit upon has to do with timing. If Denver works a new deal for him during the season that may very well work to their favor but if they wait then the chase of leaving for a better deal become likely. By no means does that mean he's a greedy player it would be sound business decision.

Yeah....

He was raised with a lot of character and has a solid head on his shoulders.

The only thing that would make him want to move would be a better "bigger picture" overall...and this would mean a move to be closer to his family in Miami. For now though, I think he's pretty happy where he is and really enjoys this fan base. He's NOT all about money. He wasn't raised with it and I think that in the end, he's just happy to be doing something he's passionate about.

It may seem like a romantic notion, but if you knew how he was brought, up...you'd see it too.

Dman444
10-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping we start looking in to signing around weeks 8-10. If by week 9 he has double digit sacks I say we give him what he wants and lock him up.

Then we can focus our attention on Marshall if he continues to mature and become a better player.

TXBRONC
10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
i don't think that's a hundred percent accurate. . . they made keeping their defensive linemen a priority, but other than bruschi they haven't made much effort to keep back seven players. . . they cut lawyer milloy right before the start of a season, let ty law and asante samuel walk, cut rosevelt colvin, and they just traded vrabel and ellis hobbs. . . they also haven't rushed to extend wilfork. . .

also, while it's certainly worth looking at, there's no guarantee that mcdaniels will take the same approach to personnel that bellyache/pioli did-- although i'm sure there will be some similarities. . . .

I watched a video clip of Lamont Jordan being interviewed by Vic Lombardi and he ask Jordan about Denver using the "Patriot Way". Jordan said that the Patriots have the "Patriot Way" and Broncos have the "Bronco Way." What I was understanding him to mean is that while they are similar in the way the do business their are still distinct differences.

Kaylore
10-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Dumervil isn't just on pace to make the pro bowl, he's on pace for defensive player of the year.

rcsodak
10-07-2009, 11:33 AM

While there is a no front office in place, historically, when we get a guy that can sack the QB, we lose him in free agency. Do you see that happening here?

Last I looked, the GM/HC is completely different than when you're referring to.

And I sure hope you're not still not sad about Berry/Heyward being allowed to leave... Ever look at their numbers, since? HARDLY worth the money they were wanting, imho. At least Shanny n co. were smart about them.

Elvis was drafted by Denver. He's blue/orange bred. I don't see denver allowing him to go without a fight. With that said, though, you don't OVERSPEND on one player, either. That's not smart business.

rcsodak
10-07-2009, 11:36 AM
I think under Shanny we would lose him. He didn't value core DEFENSIVE players as can be seen by how many got away from us.

Under McD, I think he will do what he needs to to keep him.

What "core DEFENSIVE players" are you referring, GEM?

rcsodak
10-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Ever notice how none of the 'cut' players are making news after they're cut? Their's a reason they were let go.

rcsodak
10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Dumervil isn't just on pace to make the pro bowl, he's on pace for defensive player of the year.

Like Odom? Sharper?

There's 4wks in the books, people. Too many things can happen between now and then.

dogfish
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm hoping we start looking in to signing around weeks 8-10. If by week 9 he has double digit sacks I say we give him what he wants and lock him up.

what if he has double digit sacks by next monday?

:shocked:

CoachChaz
10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
The best selling point Denver has now is the team youth. If they can be competitive now, the best is yet to come. Marshall, Doom, DJ, Royal, Moreno, most of the O-line and others are all 27 or younger. Even Orton is only 26.

They have time to turn into leaders like Dawk...who by the way looks like he could play another 5 years if he wanted to...and create the new identity. The team can only continue to improve as these young guys move into their primes. How anyone can not get excited over the path this team is on is beyond me.

Tned
10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Last I looked, the GM/HC is completely different than when you're referring to.

Well, while I had a typo (no instead of new), I think it was pretty clear I addressd the fact the front office was new, don't you think?

"While there is a new front office in place"

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Let me see 4 x 8 sacks is 32...lol..is my 1st grade math right? That would not only get him the Defensive player of the year....a record of epic purportions lol! Aand hey we get KC twice and Raiders one more time! Theres 8-10 alone right there..lol!

Requiem / The Dagda
10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Mike Shanahan went through a centuries worth of defensive coordinators who failed miserably with the talent they had and failed to produce very good results outside Coyer, who was able to do a few things now and then. Elvis Dumervil's ability to transition to the 3-4 was unknown before the mini-camps and training camps came. He showed through then that he had the ability to rush the passer standing up as easily as he did with his hands down.

Nolan likes guys like Elvis who are athletic and can do multiple things. A lot of people bring up the histories that have happened elsewhere under different coaches or teams, but I find that largely irrelevant. Elvis is a huge reason why this team has been successful on defense. He gets after the quarterback and even if he doesn't get there, he's bringing the heat. Nolan and McDaniels can clearly see this, and they would be foolish to let him walk.

I don't like focusing on the money, but he's worth every penny he resigns with the team. I only question whether or not players will give it 100% after they get the big pay day. Elvis has never given me a reason to believe that he wouldn't, because at his size and with the cards dealt against him, he's always had to give it 150%.

Elvis stays and he gets a fair contract. Him staying doesn't impact the ability or growth of Ayers either. They will soon be on the field at linebacker at the same time, and I expect Ayers to keep progressing with his hand down when called upon in select packages. It's great to have this problem with Elvis, because I can't imagine what we'd do without him.

Slick
10-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Like Odom? Sharper?

There's 4wks in the books, people. Too many things can happen between now and then.

What part of "on pace" didn't you understand rc?

I hope we resign him, and soon. I think dogfish makes a great point about Marshall possibly feeling a little slap in the face if they do it mid season, but at the same time Marshall should realize that Doom hasn't pulled the off the field stuff Brandon has.

On an unrelated note, the one person I worry about losing most is Mike Nolan. Lock that dude up. Pay him whatever he wants Pat. Even if it's head coach money. He is that important to this team IMO.

TXBRONC
10-07-2009, 06:22 PM

I hope we resign him, and soon. I think dogfish makes a great point about Marshall possibly feeling a little slap in the face if they do it mid season, but at the same time Marshall should realize that Doom hasn't pulled the off the field stuff Brandon has.

On an unrelated note, the one person I worry about losing most is Mike Nolan. Lock that dude up. Pay him whatever he wants Pat. Even if it's head coach money. He is that important to this team IMO.

Slick I think he's going want to be a head coach again. I think that because the contract he signed with Denver was for two years.

Slick
10-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Slick I think he's going want to be a head coach again. I think that because the contract he signed with Denver was for two years.

Well, let's tear it up and make it a 10 year deal. :D

TXBRONC
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, let's tear it up and make it a 10 year deal. :D

I could live with him being the our defensive coordinator for the next ten years but I also would begrudge him the chance at being a head coach again. (Yes I realize you were kidding to some degree. ;))

dogfish
10-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I could live with him being the our defensive coordinator for the next ten years but I also would begrudge him the chance at being a head coach again. (Yes I realize you were kidding to some degree. ;))

kidding? slick's a greedy bastid, he wasn't kidding!

:lol:

Lonestar
10-07-2009, 07:06 PM

yes I'm sure he does want to be a HC again, but it is unlikely that any owner is going to hand him the keys to a billion dollar business, like they did last time..

he is a great DC and sometimes you just have to know your limitations..

Requiem / The Dagda
10-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Mike has and always will work best in the capacity of being a coordinator. I agree with JR and believe that ultimately Nolan will have to recognize his limitations. At any case, would he rather be successful and get paid less to be a coordinator or get paid more and experience what he went through in San Francisco, etc.? I think it's clear that he excels as a DC and believes that to be the role he's best suited for. Furthermore, I'm not sure if Nolan is at the stage in his career anymore to be vetted for HC vacancies. JMHO.

TXBRONC
10-07-2009, 07:35 PM
yes I'm sure he does want to be a HC again, but it is unlikely that any owner is going to hand him the keys to a billion dollar business, like they did last time..

he is a great DC and sometimes you just have to know your limitations..

It happens all the time. If this defense continues to play well as they have there is no doubt in my mind he will get another crack at being a head coach.

soonerjh
10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Sure hope we don't lose Doom OR Nolan! we just getting started!

broncophan
10-07-2009, 09:57 PM

While there is a new front office in place, historically, when we get a guy that can sack the QB, we lose him in free agency. Do you see that happening here?

Well.......the way this past off season went......I would rather not think about who the broncos re-sign next off season.:D....so I hope maybe thay can take care of him during THIS season....sure would hate to lose him....

Lonestar
10-08-2009, 12:33 AM
It happens all the time. If this defense continues to play well as they have there is no doubt in my mind he will get another crack at being a head coach.

he was this good before IIRC, and got the chance based on that..

Most owners seem to be going with rookie type HC now and are not going back to recycled failures..

While I will not say he will not be offered a HC again.. I suspect that most owners Will look at the unmitigated disaster SFO was under Mike and how it turned around (so far) under Singletary..

The peter principle applies to all jobs.. clearly he reached his level of incompetency as a Head Coach and knows what he is doing as a DC..

Would YOU turn the keys to a billion dollar investment over to him for part II?

sneakers
10-08-2009, 12:37 AM
I smell Franchise Tag.....on Marshall!

SOCALORADO.
10-08-2009, 08:53 AM
that's what i'm talkin' about! like ernie accorsi said when they drafted kiwi, good pass rushers are tough to find and you can never have too many of them. . .

Yeah Woodley/Harrison! Ding! Winner! Winner! DOOM/AYERS!
This is how DEN will continue to be a good team, by keeping
Doom and letting these guys get even better.
Add another true dominant NT through the draft, and suddenly
this defense IS! the best in the NFL!

Tned
10-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Well.......the way this past off season went......I would rather not think about who the broncos re-sign next off season.:D....so I hope maybe thay can take care of him during THIS season....sure would hate to lose him....

Then, I guess I probably shouldn't bring up that we also have to figure out who our QB will be next season, with Orton being a free agent (sign him to a new deal, go with Simms or Brandstater, or bring in a free agent)

rcsodak
10-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Well, while I had a typo (no instead of new), I think it was pretty clear I addressd the fact the front office was new, don't you think?

"While there is a new front office in place"

If that had been the problem, then I'd not have replied as I did, tned..."don't you think?"

Other than your "typo", which was no big deal, you added in "historically". If the FO is new, then there IS no history.

I'm not some kiddie. I DO read what's typed. I'm not on Top's level, but closer than you might imagine.

:D

rcsodak
10-09-2009, 12:16 AM

None of it, slickster.

Odom, as well as Sharper, are ALSO "on pace". What part of my reply did YOU not understand?

My point: he's not the only one having a great year, stat wise. Thought that was epically apparent. :shocked:

rcsodak
10-09-2009, 12:24 AM

It all boils down to whether HE wants the HC position again.

And I haven't heard/read where he's made a statement as such.

Regarding your point, tx, there's also the other side of the pillow.

Look at Monty Kiffin! Never a HC.

There are 32 OC/DC's every year. Some are never meant to be more than that.

Unless of course, you own the Tampa Bay Buccanneers........:confused:

rcsodak
10-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Broncos' Dumervil has become money as big-time pass rusher
Big bucks ahead for 2006 fourth-rounder who has turned into sack star
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/07/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 10/07/2009 02:03:12 AM MDT

Elvis Dumervil celebrates a first-quarter sack of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile High. (Steve Nehf, The Denver Post)

With all the money NFL teams waste on scouting, perhaps some of it could be transferred to players like Elvis Dumervil.

The No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft was defensive end Mario Williams. Houston gave him a six-year contract worth $54 million. To date, Williams has 32.5 sacks in 52 games.

Way back in the fourth round of the same draft, with the No. 126 overall pick, Dumervil was selected. The Broncos gave Dumervil a four-year deal worth $2 million. He has 34 sacks in 49 games.:tsk:

Thus, Dumervil has nearly two more sacks in three fewer games for $52 million less than the pass rusher drafted 125 picks ahead of him.

Kudos to the Broncos' scouting department and executives for coming up with perhaps the greatest fourth round in NFL draft history. Besides Dumervil, Denver nabbed a wide receiver named Brandon Marshall earlier in the round.

Then again, weren't the Broncos also a bit lucky Marshall and Dumervil were still around in the fourth round?

"I think the biggest thing about Elvis is he plays the game with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder," Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said. "He is a little shorter and people bring it to his attention, including me, but he overcomes it. He's very competitive."

Pound per pound, inch per inch, the 5-foot-11, 248-pound Dumervil is arguably the NFL's best pass rusher. Stripping away subjective reasoning and getting more to the point of statistical production, Dumervil is the NFL's sixth-best active pass rusher — and climbing.

Dumervil in his career has .694 sacks per game, a clip that exceeds all but the highly compensated Shawne Merriman, Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware, John Abraham and Dwight Freeney.

And while Merriman hasn't reached the quarterback since the final game of the 2007 season, and Ware is sackless this year, Dumervil has eight sacks in his past three games.

"They should break that down to sacks per plays," Dumervil said, noting he played in less than 30 percent of the Broncos' defensive snaps in his rookie year of 2006 and was primarily a third-down rusher last season. "But I've got a long way to go. I'm still trying to learn."

With his Broncos taking a 4-0 record into their game Sunday against the New England Patriots, Dumervil does not have dollar signs racing through his mind, but quarterback Tom Brady.

"When you start thinking about contract stuff, that's when you get off course and lose focus," Dumervil said. "If you just come out and do your job, those type of things will come. I love the game. This is something I love to do."

The Broncos are likely to address Dumervil's contract the minute after it expires at season's end. What could Dumervil command in the open market? First, consider the boom of teams using the 3-4 defense and the premium it places on pass-rushing outside linebackers like Dumervil.

Baltimore recently re-signed Terrell Suggs to a $63 million deal. Freeney, with whom Dumervil is most often compared, is in the third year of a six-year deal that will pay him $72 million.

Among defensive linemen, it's the pass rushers who get the big money.

"On defense, all they ever talk about is stopping the run, stopping the run," said Broncos defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday. "That's the No. 1 goal. But the guys that get paid are the ones that get sacks."

Why is that? If the quarterback is the undisputed most important position to a football team, then it follows that the next significant positions are those who can directly stop the quarterback.

"I think it's because the quarterback is so important and it's also very exciting for the fans, for the team — it's third down, you've got to have a stop and you sack the quarterback," Holliday said. "You're talking about the excitement it causes, the momentum shifts, all those things are very important."

Not only are exciting, momentum-shifting pass rushers important, they're apparently difficult for scouts to find.

And people are screaming that BMarsh is underpaid????

HA!

Shazam!
10-09-2009, 12:42 AM
The thing about Doom is he is as I always said he was, a LB.

Shanahan had this thing (and others of his defensive coordinators) of not putting players into position for them to excel at their best. You can't force players to be what they're not. The guy was a prototypical LB and should've been one since his rookie season.

He reminds me of Simon Fletcher a bit, I'm not sure why.

I think he'll be in Denver for a long time.

As far as Nolan goes if the D continues and holds up as a majorly improved unit the rest of the road, I pray he stays at least one more year. That is a likely scenario.

Tned
10-09-2009, 07:36 AM
If that had been the problem, then I'd not have replied as I did, tned..."don't you think?"

Other than your "typo", which was no big deal, you added in "historically". If the FO is new, then there IS no history.

I'm not some kiddie. I DO read what's typed. I'm not on Top's level, but closer than you might imagine.

:D

Broncos fans have history, looked at the posts. Talking about x years since a playoff win, y years since a SB win, etc. Look at the Broncos organization, talking about the all time record in week 1, or the all time record in home openers, etc.

The franchise doesn't start over every time a new coach or FO comes in.

I was pointing out what we have seen as fans in recent years, under the old front office, related to defensive players and posing the question which is essentially, will we see Doom walk in the offseason.

Maybe if you get confused by a post, you should post a follow up question.