PDA

View Full Version : Sauerbrun Cut

Mike
12-18-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7751717

Broncos cut Sauerbrun
By Bill Williamson The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/18/2007 11:21:40 AM MST

The Broncos have cut punter Todd Sauerbrun.

The team is expected to announce it later today.

Sauerbrun was recently cited for simple assault after an incident involving a cab driver in Denver earlier this month.

He has been the Broncos' punter all season. He was Denver's punter in 2005 but was cut last year after he served a four-game NFL suspension for using a supplement.

To replace Sauerbrun, the Broncos have signed Paul Ernster. He was cut in August. Ernster was Denver's punter last season.

Hawgdriver
12-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Broncos cut Sauerbrun

Sauerbrun was recently cited for simple assault after an incident involving a cab driver in Denver earlier this month.

He has been the Broncos' punter all season. He was Denver's punter in 2005 but was cut last year after he served a four-game NFL suspension for using a supplement.

To replace Sauerbrun, the Broncos have signed Paul Ernster. He was cut in August. Ernster was Denver's punter last season.

Oy.

Not sure what 'oy' means, but it feels right for this one.

Oy...

BroncoWave
12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
When will professional athletes learn? :tsk:

Pretty safe to say he's run out of chances in Denver.

Lonestar
12-18-2007, 01:46 PM
looks like another stupid move by mikey playing gm again..

Mike
12-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Todd hasn't exactly been kicking the heck out of the ball this year. Combine that with his most recent alcohol related incident...

SR
12-18-2007, 02:20 PM

It's a good move. Ernster showed a lot of promise last year.

topscribe
12-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Oh? Well, I would have kicked Sauerbrun's butt off the team, too.

-----

SR
12-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Oh? Well, I would have kicked Sauerbrun's butt off the team, too.

-----

looks like another stupid move my top playing gm again...

topscribe
12-18-2007, 02:32 PM
looks like another stupid move my top playing gm again...

:eviltongue:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
12-18-2007, 02:38 PM
For whatever reason, Denver has NEVER been shy about taking risks on players via free agency or the draft who have enormous potential, but also enormous risks dealing with their character. Denver would be smart to adhere to the philosophy of taking more players like Tim Crowder and Domonique Foxworth (may never be elite players, but great community leaders and consummate professionals) before they start getting hit hard by the NFL for having players consistently having issues with the law. More issues like this will lead to a loss of draft picks, which would certainly hurt this team who appears to need them more than ever.

Perhaps the team should do a better job evaluating prospects when they're scouting them and put more stock into personal interviews than what they see them do for an hour on the field in Indianapolis.

champbronc2
12-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Hurah! :D

Not like he helped us win any games...

Nomad
12-18-2007, 03:11 PM
:ohwell: I hope he's not the only scapegoat! I know his production is down. Maybe he should have 'inhaled' weed instead and then beat up the cab driver, a little more forgiveness there.

underrated29
12-18-2007, 03:35 PM
dam, i liked him here, but i cnat say i am not surprised or overall sad about this... I mean he is a punter..whopie.

i thought thought that ernster was witht the falcons. Heh, as long as we got a kicker, thats all that matters.

Lonestar
12-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Number 5 in the gross yards. this year ernster ZIP Last year zip teh year before ZIP

http://www.nfl.com/players/paulernster/profile?id=ERN566472

Sorry but mikeys ego is run amuck once again.

He was asked to punt to spots and people and because of poor play by the ST tacklers his numbers for net are poor.

I assume that it is not on field performance, that caused this stupid move..

arapaho2
12-18-2007, 05:09 PM
i would assume its because he couldnt get a touchback with the wind and in mile high...not alone somewhere else

face it earnster is just good a punter as sourbraun..i believe less then a yard differance between them....but he is a much better KO guy

UnderArmour
12-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh god... I feel nervous every time Ernster punts the ball. It sucks losing Sauerbrun, but he messed up. I hope we can get another punter before the start of next season. I really hate Ernster.

omac
12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! .... A little dramatic, I know. :D

But no way should Sauerbrun be cut. He's been very solid; couple that with the fact that I don't want Elam to be adjusting to another kick holder. And Sauerbrun really wants to be on the team; this is a huge mistake.

Watchthemiddle
12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, I was glad when the Broncos brought Todd back to punt and kick off. I have always thought he was good at both of those despite his off the field problems in the past.

This year though, he was not the same kicker. He can't even kick off into the endzone anymore, and his punts haven't been what they used to be as well. Not too mention, him running his mouth before the Bears game and then WIFFING on two sure tackles on HEster did not sit well with me.

This is just Step #2004980 in transforming this team for next year.

UnderArmour
12-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I was glad when the Broncos brought Todd back to punt and kick off. I have always thought he was good at both of those despite his off the field problems in the past.

This year though, he was not the same kicker. He can't even kick off into the endzone anymore, and his punts haven't been what they used to be as well. Not too mention, him running his mouth before the Bears game and then WIFFING on two sure tackles on HEster did not sit well with me.

He's still better than Paul freaking Ernster. Did you watch this guy last year? He wasn't anything special himself. Losing Sauerbrun is fine, but I hope we have our eyes on someone in college to draft or pick up.

Medford Bronco
12-18-2007, 05:38 PM
He played his way out after the Bears game IMO

this incident was the final nail in the coffin

good riddance I say and bring someone in new next season

Watchthemiddle
12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
He's still better than Paul freaking Ernster. Did you watch this guy last year? He wasn't anything special himself. Losing Sauerbrun is fine, but I hope we have our eyes on someone in college to draft or pick up.

Yeah, neither one at this point is anything to write home about.

I am still reeling at the fact that we didn't draft Mason Crosby last year. Oh well...WTM its time to move on.

Lets get someone in the draft. Not only to punt, but we are going to need to find someone to replace Elam soon.

BaiLeY324
12-18-2007, 07:16 PM
We should have kept Jason Baker.

keithbishop
12-18-2007, 07:18 PM

Ditto. I think the Bears game will stick with me until next season starts.

I've been extremely disappointed with kickoffs this season. I see nothing to lose by giving Ernster another shot.

Tned
12-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Todd hasn't exactly been kicking the heck out of the ball this year. Combine that with his most recent alcohol related incident...

His kickoffs have been very dissapointing. He might kick it into or through the endzone on one kickoff, and then only to the 20 yard line on the next one.

His punts have been long, but he often kicks them low and out kicks the coverage.

Do we have a punter on our practice squad?

Lonestar
12-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Lots of other players that are paid to tackle whiffed on him also..

Lonestar
12-18-2007, 07:37 PM
His kickoffs have been very dissapointing. He might kick it into or through the endzone on one kickoff, and then only to the 20 yard line on the next one.

His punts have been long, but he often kicks them low and out kicks the coverage.

Do we have a punter on our practice squad?

they signed ernster who was cut from CLE this year

Tned
12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
they signed ernster who was cut from CLE this year

Elam isn't getting any younger, we will soon need a new kicker and punter. Anyone heard Elam talk recently about how long he was going to play? I think last year he said if he wasn't injured he could play several more years.

rcsodak
12-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, I for one am glad he's gone.

Frankly, he just didn't fit on the team. Hell, he's bigger than the freakin' linebackers!

Plus, now maybe Shanny will get smart and not waste another 1st round pick on another lineman, and instead, get a sure-fire punter!

ST's is where games are won/lost these days.......look it up! :cool:

Hawgdriver
12-18-2007, 07:59 PM

In the case of Denver, ST's is where games are LOST!!!

Lonestar
12-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Elam isn't getting any younger, we will soon need a new kicker and punter. Anyone heard Elam talk recently about how long he was going to play? I think last year he said if he wasn't injured he could play several more years.

Have not heard but he has missed a couple of closer ones this year..

Hope he stays for a while..

Lonestar
12-18-2007, 08:10 PM

Frankly, he just didn't fit on the team. Hell, he's bigger than the freakin' linebackers!

Plus, now maybe Shanny will get smart and not waste another 1st round pick on another lineman, and instead, get a sure-fire punter!

You don't like anyone..

But most ST plays are made by the returners and not the kickers..

Broncos Mtnman
12-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Looks like the rebuilding process for next year has begun.

Todd hasn't been as good as in years past. With his off the field fiasco, I'd say now's just as good a time as any to get rid of him.

sneakers
12-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Hahaha yes, I like Ernster much better.

Stand Ablaze
12-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Looks like the rebuilding process for next year has begun.

Todd hasn't been as good as in years past. With his off the field fiasco, I'd say now's just as good a time as any to get rid of him.

The rebuilding process began a long time ago lol. How many players did we cut this year?

Den21vsBal19
12-18-2007, 08:58 PM

He's perfect inside 40 yards, and has only missed 4 this year..............

Certainly can't think of many kickers I'd want more than Elam lining up with the game on the line.

underrated29
12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
THATS A big hell no for baker. That guy sucked!!!

fcspikeit
12-18-2007, 09:46 PM

Man do I hope your wrong!

I can see it now,, a light bulb just went of in Shanahans head.

BM goes crazy and all the supporters Shanahan has left jumps on the MOJO train chanting, "fire Shanahan!"

The 10:00 pm news talks about all the unexpected suicides in Denver :)

RC, if Shanahan goes and drafts a punter in the first round I will forever blame you for even bringing it up

It could happen. Shanahan could have something in common with Al Davis after all

BANJOPICKER1
12-18-2007, 10:57 PM

Broncos cut Sauerbrun

MISTAKE!!!!I see a Mistake here!!!

BANJOPICKER1
12-18-2007, 11:00 PM
For whatever reason, Denver has NEVER been shy about taking risks on players via free agency or the draft who have enormous potential, but also enormous risks dealing with their character. Denver would be smart to adhere to the philosophy of taking more players like Tim Crowder and Domonique Foxworth (may never be elite players, but great community leaders and consummate professionals) before they start getting hit hard by the NFL for having players consistently having issues with the law. More issues like this will lead to a loss of draft picks, which would certainly hurt this team who appears to need them more than ever.

Perhaps the team should do a better job evaluating prospects when they're scouting them and put more stock into personal interviews than what they see them do for an hour on the field in Indianapolis.

Brandon (Denver WR) bring up any bad boys in your mind?Do we cut him?

BANJOPICKER1
12-18-2007, 11:01 PM
:D
:ohwell: I hope he's not the only scapegoat! I know his production is down. Maybe he should have 'inhaled' weed instead and then beat up the cab driver, a little more forgiveness there.

The whole teams production is down,we are 6-8 :D

gobroncsnv
12-18-2007, 11:02 PM
This is just another sentence in the long message Shanny is sending the team this year... Do well both on and off the field. I hope people take notice. Most players that have come through here have said they know exactly where they stand with Mike, and usually, they appreciate knowing. Guess Todd knows, now...

BANJOPICKER1
12-18-2007, 11:05 PM

Someone other than him had to decide where to kick during that game,you think they went with his word??:D

Lonestar
12-18-2007, 11:16 PM
He's perfect inside 40 yards, and has only missed 4 this year..............

Certainly can't think of many kickers I'd want more than Elam lining up with the game on the line.

I did not believe you so I checked and you are on the money.. Good call!!:salute:

I guess what I was thinking about when Mikey chose to punt or go for 4th and whatevers because he did not trust him to make the kick..

In-com-plete
12-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Damn man! Another jersey I'll have to retire.

I think it was more about his kickoffs than his punting. I honestly can't remember the last time he had a touchback. Probably the Tennessee game.

And I will say, Ernster sucks. He had 4 good games last season. The first 4.

Mike
12-19-2007, 09:30 AM
And I will say, Ernster sucks. He had 4 good games last season. The first 4.

Never fear...the Broncos notified me yesterday that I am now on the practice squad and have been officially designated the punter of the future.

I've already ordered my ephedra.

Retired_Member_001
12-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Couldn't we have cut him BEFORE the Bears game? ;)

Anyway I'm not too pleased with Ernster as a replacement, he seemed abit risky last season (some great punts, some horrible punts).

Den21vsBal19
12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
I did not believe you so I checked and you are on the money.. Good call!!:salute:

I guess what I was thinking about when Mikey chose to punt or go for 4th and whatevers because he did not trust him to make the kick..
Yeah, I think that 4th & 6 was probably right at the edge of Elam's range, wasn't it a bit breezy as well?

As has been the case for the last umpteen years, #1's been the bright spot of our not so special teams.........

Den21vsBal19
12-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Anyway I'm not too pleased with Ernster as a replacement, he seemed abit risky last season (some great punts, some horrible punts).
Ernster outkicked Sauerbrun last season, OK, only by a yard or so, but as we've seen this year, if the coverage team forgets that it's allowed to tackle the returner, it won't make a blind bit of difference who's kicking.

Stargazer
12-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Who's next to be cut before the end of the season?

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Todd kicked where he was told to kick.. He did not ad lib on those..

He only failed to tackle the guy after 10 others failed to do so before he got to Todd.

Ernster is a loser and we will be looking for another one in the off season AGAIN..

rcsodak
12-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Ummm...have you looked, recently, at my fellow high-schooler's (Adam V) stats?

You don't like anyone..

But most ST plays are made by the returners and not the kickers..

Ok, pot......:D

Stand Ablaze
12-19-2007, 07:27 PM
From Mason's Morsels:http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/12/19/mid-week-notes-sauerbrun-aftermath-gold-graham-sidelined/

What was the reason for Todd Sauerbrun’s release?

Was it because of matters away from Dove Valley or his performance on the field, with his struggles in getting kickoffs inside the Houston 10-yard-line at Reliant Stadium six days earlier?

According to Shanahan, the decision was entirely because of what happened on Dec. 7 as he was arrested for simple assault on a taxicab driver, and not because of anything on the field.

“I told Todd if he had any problems that he was going to be released,” Shanahan said Wednesday in the opening moments of his press conference. “I wasn’t really going to share that with you, but I decided to after he came out and made a couple of comments yesterday.

“The bottom line was the way that he treated the police officers. Not to get into the situation that happened with the taxicab driver, but the way he talked with the officers and the way he handled that situation was very unprofessional.”

That understandably rankled Shanahan, particularly given the efforts of the Denver Police Department in the previous 11 and a half months in pursuing all leads in the search for those responsible for the murder of Darrent Williams.

“The police officers here in Denver have done an unbelievable job for us, working with the Darrent Williams case and they’ve just been very good,” Shanahan said. “For (Sauerbrun) to handle himself that way in that situation was uncalled for and that’s why he’s not with us.”

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 07:34 PM
From Mason's Morsels:http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/12/19/mid-week-notes-sauerbrun-aftermath-gold-graham-sidelined/

Always thought one was inocent until proven guitly..

Guess not in Dove Valley..

Mikey with the last word AGAIN

rcsodak
12-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Always thought one was inocent until proven guitly..

Guess not in Dove Valley..

Mikey with the last word AGAIN

Well, in all fairness, jr, s'bun has been given plenty of chances.

He was signed initially after he was rumored to be taking 'roids....

....then re-signed after his run-in last year.

Shanny told him to keep out of trouble, and he couldn't do it....not even for one year!

He reminds me of a saying....

.....ya can't fix stupid....... :tsk:

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Well, in all fairness, jr, s'bun has been given plenty of chances.

He was signed initially after he was rumored to be taking 'roids....

....then re-signed after his run-in last year.

Shanny told him to keep out of trouble, and he couldn't do it....not even for one year!

He reminds me of a saying....

.....ya can't fix stupid....... :tsk:

Perhaps your correct, but doing it now makes no sense either.. Until proved guilty. Well it could have waited till the end of theyear.. two weeks..

Maybe mikey get a bonus for the most signings and cuts in one year..

topscribe
12-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Perhaps your correct, but doing it now makes no sense either.. Until proved guilty. Well it could have waited till the end of theyear.. two weeks..

Maybe mikey get a bonus for the most signings and cuts in one year..

JR, Shanny explained it was not the charge against Sauerbrun that did it, but
his belligerent attitude toward the police. You don't have to be convicted of a
crime to be fired from your job. You just have to go against the boss's wishes.
Sauerbrun went against the boss's wishes; ergo, he was fired. Simple.

It's amazing, not to mention ironic: Shanny gets criticized for keeping and
backing up Henry, yet he gets criticized for releasing Sauerbrun.

He must feel like Dole in the 1996 Presidential election: just can't win. :ahhhhh:

-----

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 11:33 PM

He must feel like Dole in the 1996 Presidential election: just can't win. :ahhhhh:

-----

Are we certain that Todd did what he was accused of, or are we pandering to the police?

topscribe
12-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Are we certain that Todd did what he was accused of, or are we pandering to the police?

C'mon now . . . second leading punter in the AFC, with a $1.4 million contract,
cut for the sake of pandering? :uh:

-----

pnbronco
12-20-2007, 10:48 AM

-----

TS I have to agree with you. On the news last night you could see that Shanny was upset with this whole situation. He fired Sauerbrun for the way he treated the police not the incident with the cabbie.

“The police officers here in Denver have done an unbelievable job for us, working with the Darrent Williams case and they’ve just been very good,” Shanahan said. “For (Sauerbrun) to handle himself that way in that situation was uncalled for and that’s why he’s not with us.”

This sounds like Sauerbrun not only stepped in it, but tracked in the house, twice.

Retired_Member_001
12-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Ernster outkicked Sauerbrun last season, OK, only by a yard or so, but as we've seen this year, if the coverage team forgets that it's allowed to tackle the returner, it won't make a blind bit of difference who's kicking.

If I remember correctly, Ernster kicked MUCH better at INVESCO, his numbers away from home were alot worse. It could be the other way round. Let's just hope Ernster's punting is at least half consistent for the last two games.

Retired_Member_001
12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Todd kicked where he was told to kick.. He did not ad lib on those..

He only failed to tackle the guy after 10 others failed to do so before he got to Todd.

Ernster is a loser and we will be looking for another one in the off season AGAIN..

Yeah I know, I was joking.

And I agree about Ernster.

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
If I remember correctly, Ernster kicked MUCH better at INVESCO, his numbers away from home were alot worse. It could be the other way round. Let's just hope Ernster's punting is at least half consistent for the last two games.

He kicked real well when he had Todd bearing down on him.. When Todd was cut his numbers fell off big time..

Retired_Member_001
12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
He kicked real well when he had Todd bearing down on him.. When Todd was cut his numbers fell off big time..

Ernster's averages for the first 8 games:

42.9 yards per punt.

Ernster's averages for the last 8 games:

40.9 yards per punt.

Now that doesn't seem a big difference but if you look at the average for all 16 games you will see they are wildly inconsistent.

Avg

Now those are some inconsistent numbers.

Ernster is NOT the right choice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7415/gamelog;_ylt=AswS2FG326R4eR60l.Suilj.uLYF?year=200 6

Lonestar
12-20-2007, 05:17 PM

42.9 yards per punt.

40.9 yards per punt.

Now that doesn't seem a big difference but if you look at the average for all 16 games you will see they are wildly inconsistent.

Avg

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7415/gamelog;_ylt=AswS2FG326R4eR60l.Suilj.uLYF?year=200 6

Thanks for the details I knew he was bad, but that seals the deal for me.

rcsodak
12-20-2007, 11:33 PM

42.9 yards per punt.

40.9 yards per punt.

Avg

That's like hearing only parts of a speech, then taking what you hear out of context.

Ever hear of punting for field position?

Not every punter in the league is able to punt from their 40yd line. Sometimes you're on the opposing 40.

Until you can put stats in their proper perspective, they shouldn't ever be used.

Lonestar
12-21-2007, 01:21 AM
That's like hearing only parts of a speech, then taking what you hear out of context.

Not every punter in the league is able to punt from their 40yd line. Sometimes you're on the opposing 40.

Until you can put stats in their proper perspective, they shouldn't ever be used.

I know you remember some of those line drives and whiffs out of bounds for 20 yards when we really needed a good one.. Or the boomer through the end zone when we did not for a net 30 yarder instead of inside the 10.

He was only inconsistent when Todd was out of the picture.. A great punter when he was around.. But ball placement is beyond his skills..

Retired_Member_001
12-22-2007, 06:49 PM

You want proper perspective? Well here you go...

Andy Lee, leader in the league for Punt average. Unlike Ernster's averages, these do not sway 10 yards per game.

Avg

Dustin Colquitt, second best punter in the league. These are consistent.

Avg

Jason Baker, third best punter in the league.

Avg

http://www.nfl.com/players/andylee/gamelogs?id=LEE008195
http://www.nfl.com/players/dustincolquitt/gamelogs?id=COL759300
http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonbaker/gamelogs?id=BAK231304

Need I say more?

Hawgdriver
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
And their new motto about character guys? The guys I've seen them pick up, you're going to tell me those are good character people? I think not."

Dude might have a point, even if it's pot barkin' @ kettle.

shank
05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
at least at the punter position, he's right. baugher beat up his dad, and HE'S the guy we bring in after cutting todd?

oh well... i'm trying to care about punters, but i just don't right now.

Hobe
05-28-2008, 03:53 PM
DENVER (AP) -Former Denver Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun pleaded guilty Wednesday to disturbing the peace in a confrontation with a taxi driver last December and was sentenced to perform 24 hours of community service.

They should assign him to sweep the sidewalks outside of Mile High Stadium after a few home games. :laugh:

topscribe
05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
A high school buddy turned Public Defender once said, "Justice has nothing to
do with it in a court of law."

Even in the wake of a guilty plea, I have no confidence that the defendant
was guilty. Prosecuting attorneys can be lying sacks of crap who can intimidate
defendants until defendants are putty in their hands. The pressure on a
defendant who is threatened with imprisonment can be overwhelming.

All prosecutors are interested in are convictions because that is what they
base their re-elections on. Even though Sauerbrun plead guilty, I still don't
know whether he was.

-----

Day1BroncoFan
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Sauerbrun Pleads Guilty to Disturbing the Peace

May 28, 2:27 PM (ET)

By ARNIE STAPLETON

DENVER (AP) -Former Denver Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun pleaded guilty Wednesday to disturbing the peace in a confrontation with a taxi driver last December and was sentenced to perform 24 hours of community service.

But outside the courtroom, Sauerbrun insisted he is innocent and said he accepted a plea deal with prosecutors only because his record could be cleansed after a year.

He also took a swipe at the Broncos for cutting him after his arrest, saying, "I don't think they did me right."

County Court Judge Andre L. Rudolph ordered Sauerbrun to perform the community service through NFL Charities by Oct. 1. He also sentenced Sauerbrun to a year's unsupervised deferred judgment, meaning if he stays out of trouble for a year the charge will be wiped from his record.

An assault charge was dismissed as was a charge of failing to pay the cab fare as part of the deal, his lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, told The Associated Press. A jury trial had been set for Wednesday.

"They made us an offer we couldn't refuse," Steinberg said. "We talked about a jury trial lasting two to three days. This saves everybody the time and trouble."

Sauerbrun, who also had to pay $216 in court costs, could have faced one year in jail and up to a $999 fine on the disturbance charge.

Outside the courtroom, Sauerbrun maintained he was innocent and said he only pleaded guilty to the disturbance charge so that he could have it eventually erased from his record.

"I hit the 'easy button' today," Sauerbrun said. "It (stinks). I'm disgusted about it. But in a year, it will be completely off my record."

Sauerbrun, who is living in Chicago, said he thinks he'll land with another NFL team now that this matter has been cleared up. The 35-year-old three-time Pro Bowler said he thinks he can play another five years in the NFL.

Sauerbrun remains bitter over his dismissal from the Broncos shortly after he was cited and taken to a detox facility after an argument outside a Denver restaurant on Dec. 7.

Sauerbrun said he's hurt that coach Mike Shanahan portrayed him as a bad apple and jettisoned him so quickly after his arrest even though the coach had spent much of last season defending troubled tailback Travis Henry over a failed drug test.

"The Broncos didn't give me a fair shot. I don't think they did me right," Sauerbrun said. "I do feel ill about it. And their new motto about character guys? The guys I've seen them pick up, you're going to tell me those are good character people? I think not."

The Broncos this week agreed to a one-year deal with veteran running back Michael Pittman, who has been involved in several domestic disputes during his NFL career.

Despite his guilty plea, Sauerbrun maintained he did nothing wrong on the night he was arrested and said he plans to sue the taxi driver for defamation.

http://sports.excite.com/news/05282008/v7413.html

I would never plead guilty if I were innocent, but that's just me.