PDA

View Full Version : Officially Unofficial

Overtime
10-07-2009, 12:16 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41253

well I didn't officially pick the Broncos to win the Division, but I did leave myself an out...

Broncos: After a turmoil laden off-season in which little if anything productive has been accomplished, I'd have to say we Denver fans may be in for a long long season full of growing pains.

After losing Jay Cutler to the Bears, and receiving Kyle Orton in return, the Broncos have drafted Knowshon Moreno, acquired Brandon Lloyd, the Broncos don't have appear to have too much going for them. However, Kyle Orton does win football games, and his record backs that up. If he can come in and effectively manage games, and not turn the ball over, the Broncos have a long shot to make the playoffs. However it requires Brandon Lloyd to step up his game to the next level (which we have not seen in his previous stints with Chicago, Washington, and San Franciso). If Brandon Lloyd will put in the time, and the hard work (like I know he's capable of doing as I was a former classmate of his at Blue Springs High School in Blue Springs, Missouri) then we may have a legitimate replacement for Brandon Marshall. Brandon Lloyd has the intangibles to be a great receiver, I watched him play at Blue Springs, seen his practice, and lift weights, and his work ethic was unbelievable devoted. However I think the money side of the NFL has gotten to him, so he has to overcome that and learn to produce like an NFL receiver, he's ready for a breakout year, but it's all up to him. The drafting of Knowshon Moreno, will either be the club's biggest bust since Maurice Clarett, or the teams best RB selection since Terrell Davis. If Moreno works hard, and produces, and McDaniels uses the play action to take pressure off of Orton and keeps defenses on their heels, Moreno's effectiveness could blossom. If McDaniels goes pass happy in the spread, don't expect to see Moreno produce a 1,000 yard season.

I don't know what to expect from the Defense, but I sure hope it's a big improvement over what we've seen the last 3 years, anything has to be better than what we have seen.

Special Teams must improve! Especially the kickoff coverage team. If it doesn't, we're setting our defense up for failure.

Key Losses: Cut LBs Boss Bailey, Louis Green, S Herana Daze-Jones, June 18; Cut RB J.J. Arrington, May 27; UFA S Marlon McCree, June 4 (to Jaguars); Cut FB Andrew Pinnock, April 29; UFA QB Patrick Ramsey, April 3 (to Titans); Traded QB Jay Cutler to Bears, April 2 (Bears give Broncos first-round picks 2009 and ’10, ’09 third-round pick); UFA CB Karl Paymah, March 14 (to Vikings); UFA OT Erik Pears, March 3 (to Raiders); Cut CB Dre Bly, Feb. 17; Cut DE John Engelberger, Feb. 16; Cut TE Nate Jackson, Feb. 16; Cut Niko Koutouvides, Feb. 16; Cut S Marquand Manuel, Feb. 16; Cut DT Dewayne Robertson, Feb. 16; Cut LB Jamie Winborn, Feb. 16; Cut DT Josh Shaw, Feb. 12; Cut TE Chad Mustard, Feb. 11; Cut RB P.J. Pope, Feb. 11; Cut WR Cliff Russell, Feb. 11. (Possibly Brandon Marshall to trade or holdout)

Key Acquisitions: Key arrivals: Ex-Bears WR Brandon Lloyd, June 15; Ex-Ravens LB Nick Greisen, April 29; Ex-Rams UFA OT Brandon Gorin, April 17; Traded for ex-Bears QB Kyle Orton, April 2 (Broncos send 2009 fifth-round pick to Bears); Ex-Browns UFA OG Scott Young, March 13; Ex-Titans UFA QB Chris Simms, March 4; Ex-Cardinals UFA RB J.J. Arrington, March 4 (four years, $10 million); Ex-Patriots UFA RB LaMont Jordan, March 4 (two years, $2.5 million); Ex-49ers UFA DT Ronald Fields (two years, $5 million), ex-Browns UFA LB Andra Davis (two years), ex-Colts UFA DT Darrell Reid (three years, $6.8 million), March 2; Ex-Dolphins UFA CB Andre Goodman, March 1 (five years, $20.4 million, $9.8 million guaranteed); Ex-Eagles UFA S Brian Dawkins, Feb. 28 (five years, $17 million, $7.2 million guaranteed; Ex-Patriots UFA WR Jabar Gaffney, Feb. 27 (four years, $10 million, $3 million guaranteed); Ex-Dolphins UFA FS Renaldo Hill, Feb. 27 (four years, $10 million, $3 million guaranteed); Ex-Eagles UFA RB Correll Buckhalter, Feb. 27 (four years); Ex-Patriots UFA LS Lonie Paxton, Feb. 27 (five years, $5.3 million). Knowshon Moreno (drafted out Univ. Georgia).

Orton has come in and done exactly what I said he had to do "been effective and not committed turnovers. Special Teams has great improved, and the Defense has exceeded all of my expectations.

Overall Synopsis:

With GM/Front Office/Head Coaching Changes on 3 of the 4 teams in the Division, it's almost a given you could go ahead and crown the Chargers the AFC West Division Champs in 2009. But if the Broncos or Chiefs are able to pull their respective clubs together, and find something common to build on, this could be one of the closest division races in the NFL this season, and in recent memory, with the Chiefs, Chargers, and Broncos all vying for the Division Crown, and it could again come down to who wants it most in the last game of the season.

My prediction is that the Chargers will win the AFC West, as I just can't see them digressing yet another 3 games with the firepower they have on their team, however it will come down to how well Norv Turner disciplines his team, and what injuries they incur, so don't be surprised if the Chiefs or Broncos are able to slide in and steal the division from the Chargers.

My 2009 AFC West Predictions:

*Chargers 10-6
Chiefs 8-8
Broncos 5-11
Raiders 4-12

* Division Champs

just remember, you heard it from Overtime first. :cool:

LordTrychon
10-07-2009, 12:19 AM
How amazing would you look if the Chiefs did steal the division as you predict?!

Shazam!
10-07-2009, 12:34 AM
The AFCW, IMO, was a two horse (no pun intended) race from the start between Denver and SD. I never gave Oakland or KC a chance at doing anything.

OT was drunk when he was thinking that.

Next Monday will tell us a lot of what we need to know about how the Division will turn out.

Overtime
10-07-2009, 02:46 AM
well to give KC credit, they made a lot of seemingly smart moves in the offense to show they should be taken seriously.

Fired Peterson, Edwards and his worthless array of assistants.

Hired Pioli, Haley, and Pendergast. Promoted Denny Thum to President, brought in Matt Cassell, Mike Vrabel, made several key defensive draft selections. I really thought they'd be better than they are, but that O-Line is terrible, and not providing any protection or time to throw for Cassell.

but that's the reason I felt they might be much better than they have shown.

LRtagger
10-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Wait I'm not sure I understand....you wrote "dont be surprised if the Broncos steal the division" but then you predict a 5-11 record...and you are taking credit for saying the Broncos may have a chance at the division??

Many here were predicting 10-6 or better, but you don't see us all starting new threads quoting old posts. I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. The Chefs would have to go 8-4 and the Broncos would have to go 1-11 for your prediction to be accurate.

guitarj
10-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, i'm impressed :rolleyes:

Kaylore
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Well, i'm impressed :rolleyes:

Yeah he's only one win away from getting his five win prediction right.:rolleyes: