PDA

View Full Version : AFC honors Bailey

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2009, 08:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/4846/afc-honors-bailey

Tony Romo’s guile has resulted in Denver star cornerback Champ Bailey being named the AFC defensive player of the week for Week 4.

Bailey broke up two Romo passes from the Denver 2-yard line in the final nine seconds Sunday to preserve a 17-10 win over visiting Dallas. Bailey also had an interception deep in Denver territory in the third quarter.

Teams rarely challenge Bailey, a future Hall of Famer. When asked why he thought the Cowboys challenged him, all Bailey could say he was glad they did.

Bailey is a big part of Denver’s defensive success, which has led to an unlikely 4-0 start by the Broncos. Denver has allowed just 26 points in four games.

NameUsedBefore
10-06-2009, 08:18 PM
They need to fire Wade Phillips asap.

dogfish
10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
hell yes! very well deserved! just another bit of recognition he can line up with all the rest-- one more little footnote to be added to his HOF bio. . .

Bronco Warrior
10-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Heck when is the last time anybody on this defense (before this year) got any Defensive recognition? Keep it up!

Benetto
10-06-2009, 08:29 PM
They need to fire Wade Phillips asap.

Wade didn't make that call, Jason Garrett did...

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/bailey-to-be-named-afc-defensive-player-of-week/

After a sterling performance against the Cowboys, Champ Bailey is set to receive a conference honor.

The NFL informed the Broncos on Tuesday that Bailey will be named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for games played during Week 4 (Oct. 4-5).

This marks the first time that Bailey has received such an award in his six seasons with Denver. He was twice named NFC Defensive Player of the Week as a member of the Washington Redskins (Week 6 in 1999 and Week 4 in 2003).

Bailey had a season-high eight tackles, a game-high four passes defended and his first interception of 2009 in the 17-10 victory over the Cowboys. Those four pass breakups tied for the highest single-game total in the NFL this season.

A pair of Bailey’s pass breakups came at key times — the final plays of the game, halting Dallas on third- and fourth-and-goal from the Denver 2-yard line to preserve the Broncos victory. His interception also came at a crucial point in the first half, halting a Cowboys drive at the Denver 3-yard line.

Bailey is the first Bronco to receive an AFC Defensive Player of the Week honor since Elvis Dumervil did in Week 14 of the 2007 season. His selection makes him the 21st Bronco to receive the award since its initiation by the NFL during the 1984 season.

NameUsedBefore
10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Wade didn't make that call, Jason Garrett did...

Seen this argument before. Last game the Cowboys threw shit passes while they were a yard out from the endzone. This past week they throw repeatedly not only to the best corner in the game, but to one who has already intercepted you. At some point the head coach is gonna have to step in.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Seen this argument before. Last game the Cowboys threw shit passes while they were a yard out from the endzone. This past week they throw repeatedly not only to the best corner in the game, but to one who has already intercepted you. At some point the head coach is gonna have to step in.

Garrett is Jones boy. I have a feeling that Wade has very little to say about anything with Dallas - Jones runs the show.

Dirk
10-07-2009, 06:24 AM
I have a feeling that both Wade and Jason will be gone after this season if the "Boys" don't make the playoffs or are 1 and out.

claymore
10-07-2009, 07:03 AM
I would have said Dawkins and Dumerville before Bailey.

Dirk
10-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Seeing as how Bailey "stopped" a tie, is where it came from.

Game ball needed to go to the entire Defense and BMarsh.

claymore
10-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Seeing as how Bailey "stopped" a tie, is where it came from.

Game ball needed to go to the entire Defense and BMarsh.

I seemed like Bailey gave up on getting Choice on the broken screen play that got them there. If it wasnt for Dawkins saving the TD it would have been a tie anywho.

claymore
10-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I seemed like Bailey gave up on getting Choice on the broken screen play that got them there. If it wasnt for Dawkins saving the TD it would have been a tie anywho.

Edit.... It was hurd....

EMB6903
10-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Edit.... It was hurd....
it was goodmans responsibility and mainly his fault hurd broke free. Bailey had some great open field tackles, a redzone int, and four pass break ups including two in the goalline.... There is no question he was the best db in that game sunday

Dirk
10-07-2009, 08:16 AM
I saw the same thing on that play Clay. It looked as if Bailey was like...."no way am I going to catch that guy" and didn't even try. But thank goodness for Dawkins!

claymore
10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
it was goodmans responsibility and mainly his fault hurd broke free. Bailey had some great open field tackles, a redzone int, and four pass break ups including two in the goalline.... There is no question he was the best db in that game sunday

I saw the same thing on that play Clay. It looked as if Bailey was like...."no way am I going to catch that guy" and didn't even try. But thank goodness for Dawkins!

I watched it a couple of times this morning. He could have caught him easily because he (hurd) was running horizontally across the field, and Bailey was less than 7'ish yards from him.

Dawkins saved the day. So glad he is here, the attitude Bailey showed on that play is reminiscent of the past few years defense.

broncofaninfla
10-07-2009, 08:28 AM
I hope Brady tests Champ as well.

claymore
10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I hope Brady tests Champ as well.

I hope Dumerville tests Brady. :D

CoachChaz
10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I watched it a couple of times this morning. He could have caught him easily because he (hurd) was running horizontally across the field, and Bailey was less than 7'ish yards from him.

Dawkins saved the day. So glad he is here, the attitude Bailey showed on that play is reminiscent of the past few years defense.

Goodman was in coverage to begin with, but that play was mass confusion. Kind of hard to blame it on one guy

rcsodak
10-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I would have said Dawkins and Dumerville before Bailey.

Why? CB had the most tackles. CB made more BIG plays. CB is out there on an island!

Why you hating on Champ?