PDA

View Full Version : Closer thru Conflict: An Adversity and Maturation Story!

Bronco Warrior
10-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Foreward: OK I have to finish this opinion article for a local rag by wednesday at 4pm to make presstime and I'm so beat I haven't been able to finish it. It is more of a sports psycology piece (My Schooling area) and I figured if I post what I have so far it might motivate me to finish it lol! Be kind!

Warning: it is a FeelGood Sports Puff piece..just my take on it all!

Closer thru Conflict

It is almost cliché to say that people and groups can bond and become stronger through conflict...but in the best of cases it really is true. No team has endured more stress and unrest in recent times than did the Denver Broncos after the end of the '08 season.

Coming of a humiliating loss off a game and the Division, it was followed by the firing of the Coach that had finally taken Denver over the top but had floundered as of late...a breakup that resembled a knee-jerk divorce between a couple that had had a fight but still loved each other, than a firing of a sports franchise head by an owner.

Enter the young cocky control freak Offensive Phenom from Foxburough Josh McDaniels, the self appointed Boy King, an ego much bigger than could fit in his 5'8 frame and a hoodie. Josh immediately began tearing down the house that Shanny built; ideologically dismantling the league's 2nd best, franchise record setting offense and alienating arguably the most talented young quarterback in the game ..reportedly from the start, by being critical and denigrating of Cutler's ability and technique as a quarterback and his ability to play in Josh's offensive scheme. How that turned out is Denver lore and the team, and the world, was looking on in disbelief.

Brandon Marshall was one of those players: Coming off a stellar year largely owing to the cannon arm of Cutler and the Marshall heavy offense of Shanahan. Throw in the fact that Marshall was top 3 in production, and would be the 59th best paid at his position, and felt that the Broncos had not handled an injury right. Factor on top of that the vilification he had suffered from the media and the world for a crime that he knew he was not guilty of. This led to a discussion about his future in Denver and his contract, and Brandon allegedly asking for his ticket to follow Cutler out of town. ESPN had gone so far as to air an ""Inside the Lies" piece on His off the field issues and paid the woman that was lying and blackmailing Brandon a ridiculous amount of money to slander and defame him and ESPN knew it*.

When he was vindicated of the charges as he had told those around him he would be, the reaction was tepid and team representatives went so far as to instruct his team mates to not "Gloat" or to appear overly happy about his acquittal. To an emotional transparent young man like Marshall that had to have felt like a dagger in the back to a player that because of injury already felt on the outside looking in. Add to that the parasitic media that had nothing better to do than stir the post and see if they could fan the flame the same way they had in McJay -Gate.

Meanwhile a subtle yet important change was going on in McDaniels. Somewhere along the line he had put together a fantastic group of coaches and teaches and was absorbing their experience and integrating it into a style of his own, especially not his mentor's, which had caused disaster in his short King's reign in Denver: Belicheck’s "My Way or the Highway" wasn't going over any better than it had for previous young NE prodigies. Under the radar the transformation progressed.

Re-enter Marshall trying to handle the media with a smile, all the while saying the right things and suffering in silence. Josh was also saying he was anxious to have Marshall as a part of the offense, and many doubted the sincerity of both parties.Next thing we know is Marshall is a bad teammate and is acting up in practice and being childish, and the media feasted on the story forcing action from Coach McDaniels and a preseason suspension ensued.

Part 2 coming soon! Trust me it has and happy ending and Explains a lot about “The Hug” lmao!

Ok I finished it maybe too hurriedly, what do you guys think! I was right it did motivate me to finish!
[B] Part 2 as promised[/B

At this point it was inevitable, Marshall was on the way out and would never fit in with Josh Mcdaniels and his team first concept. 13 days passed and Broncos fans held their collective breath. Days before the big day of Marshall’s return, some old friends got him on the phone and had a Heart to heart, that is if you can call two of the toughest no nonsense players in the history of the Broncos reading you the riot act and letting you know just what time it is, a “heart to heart”. One of the keys to the conversation was their advice to let his “play on the field” do his talking for him. This approach drew sharp criticism and praise alike for his handling of the parasitical media.

Meanwhile, he had been held out of most of the first half of the Bengals game and had flashes of brilliance in the second half. A small sign of things to come Orton did chose to throw to him on the make or break play that ended with Stokely’s catch for the win. Baby Steps. That week came the infamous 1:49 second media session where Marshall focused on the Cleveland game…much to the dismay of the rift mongering reporters and the media at large. Still people questioned his team spirit and doubted that Marshall could possibly be happy with the offense and his participation in it. Quietly Josh McDaniels was going about preaching his team concept: Would Brandon swallow it? Would he buy into it? time would tell! As the weeks progressed Brandon’s new attitude and work ethic had returned to what his teammates had been used to in times past and Josh McDaniels praised him for it in the media, and they scoffed! Week by week Marshall was becoming more comfortable, and more productive in the new offense, much more a part of the team and less the disgruntled outsider looking in.

Then came the Cowboys game, the toughest test yet for the team and Marshall. This game would validate both men in ways that can’t be described easily. McDaniels as his first true test, a chance to prove the detractors wrong! Marshall a big stage to prove he was a big time game changer and to show he was worth the trouble. In one critical moment, one critical down, Josh McDaniels called Brandon’s number! A 5 step drop, tight man press coverage and a classic battle of who had more “Want it”. that person was Brandon Marshall. All that perceived mistrust, disrespect. vilification and frustration, packed up in a pigskin package and flying at him 10 feet off the ground and somebody in his face trying to keep him from his vindication. Not this time! As Deon Sanders put it, he ran angry shaking off tacklers and pursuers 51 yards of “see I told you so” to the endzone and the go ahead score! At that moment two worlds collided in a way that does not often happen in sports, the teacher and the student, the Mega star and the team concept coach! All the frustrationand anger, all the “Do it my way and it will work out” flooded out into one spontaneous explosion of manly affection on the sidelines, and later in the press conference. You could see the relief, and I’ll say it joy, come rushing out in a sincere show of emotion and mutual respect.

You wanna know what was said between Josh McDaniels and Brandon Marshall in that brief exchange? I think it went something like this: “Coach thanks for not giving up on me and for believing in me!” And Josh saying something to the effect of “I told you it would work out! Thanks for trusting me and being a part of this!”. As has happened so many times in sports history these two men have grown and matured and grown closer through trial and adversity to come out stronger and better people and team for it

broncofaninfla
10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Good stuff!

MasterShake
10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Great article! But please, for the love of God and my English degree, change that "thru" to a "through" in the first sentence, thats like nails on a chalkboard to me! :lol:

Very well thought out and executed otherwise. :salute:

Bronco Warrior
10-06-2009, 04:14 PM
told you I was tired and not motivated to finish it...sorry I missed that one !

Bronco Warrior
10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
What nobody has a comment on the Article? I don't wanna let them publish it if I need to rewrite it cause it sucks!

frenchfan
10-07-2009, 02:13 AM
What nobody has a comment on the Article? I don't wanna let them publish it if I need to rewrite it cause it sucks!Really good stuff... I really enjoyed the read...

I think McD is a very requiring coach with authority... But he does know how to act with his players (allowing fun games at the end of tough practices to thanks his players for examples)... He also found out the good staff IMO.

Back to BM/McD's stuff... You're right on the money... BM is very talented but is acting like a child... Daddy McD came in and punished him... But also gave him a message... "Be a man and you'll get responsabilities, you'll be part of the process and you'll be rewarded"... Despite what some people think, kids don't hate authority... They need it but they will test it (and it's a sane thing IMO)... But you also need to mix authority with autonomy... The message here is "ok, there are rules and as long as you respect them, you can do what you want"... The goal here is not to prevent them to reach their potential, but to teach them how to use their potential within their environment and with a purpose... In fact, it's a good way to help them reaching their potential IMO.

BM needed some authority to realize everything was not granted for him...
I think McD always believed BM is a special talent but he had to use his talents for the team...
Bm now can realize that his coach trusts him and calls him in the money time... Saying something like "Man, do your thing now and show us (everybody) what you're able to to"...
After that awesome TD, it was like McD was looking at his kid and was proud of him... And BM looking at his daddy thanking him for trusting him, pushing him and making him even better...

Did McD make mistakes? Of course... And he learned...
Same about BM...
But I do enjoy this team spirit McD's brang here... And may be BM has understood now that being a great player is not having 40 throws per game, but to use his talent for the team and be there in the money time...

Hope my interpretation is good... Just my 2 cents of psychology :D

:salute:

broncofaninfla
10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Very well written, good stuff. Better than ESPN or the Post writers. Kudo's!

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the input. If I was going for more than a process and was going to put in my two cents I would totally steal one of your pennies to use in the piece lol! It is an observation based on my football and psychology background, and I tired to not express my opinion on any of it! glad you liked it!

Thnikkaman
10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Its a decent article. I think you are being a little presumptuous saying that the rift has been mended, but caution doesn't sell newspapers/magazines/adds on a blog.

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Its a decent article. I think you are being a little presumptuous saying that the rift has been mended, but caution doesn't sell newspapers/magazines/adds on a blog.

I'll take decent lol! :woot: For the record I never said the rift was mended in the piece, only made an observation of the moment and what led up to it. I personally DO think that it is mended but tried not to put in any extended conclusions or opinions in it. If you like any or all what I wrote..draw your own conclusions from it.

Thnikkaman
10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I do really like it as a history or recap piece, and I think its worth publishing

frenchfan
10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the input. If I was going for more than a process and was going to put in my two cents I would totally steal one of your pennies to use in the piece lol! It is an observation based on my football and psychology background, and I tired to not express my opinion on any of it! glad you liked it!sport psychology... There is so much to write about that...

Talent or gifts are one thing... Work is another thing... but really the mental part is the most important part of being a great sports player.
Every star would tell this. BTW, I've often heard from the bests that at least 50% of the success is based on the mental part...

Don't be shy to post this kind of stuff again Warrior :salute: :beer:

:defense:

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Just a note: It makes my head hurt to write without injection of my passion for the game and my Broncos and my opinions. I hate it when writers do nothing but let their bias rule the mind and the pen. Thank you for the compliments guys it really helps. As you might have noticed I tend to be passionate and over the top with my opinion and creative side..this was a challenge to stick to the intent of the piece!

Thnikkaman
10-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Just a note: It makes my head hurt to write without injection of my passion for the game and my Broncos and my opinions. I hate it when writers do nothing but let their bias rule the mind and the pen. Thank you for the compliments guys it really helps. As you might have noticed I tend to be passionate and over the top with my opinion and creative side..this was a challenge to stick to the intent of the piece!

No Way. :D

I was actually surprised to read something like this from you.

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
No Way. :D

:throwrock: Well maybe you'll listen to some of the radical stuff I say..now that you know I actually understand the game and the nuances a little! Just kidding! I know I seem off the chain sometimes but I know a little about this stufff..lol! :D

T.K.O.
10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
nice article but you might want to change this "One of those players was Brandon Marshall was one of those players: :D
not being mean,just trying to help:salute:

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
nice article but you might want to change this "One of those players was Brandon Marshall was one of those players: :D
not being mean,just trying to help:salute:

Nice catch! Might missed that. Everybody else did...lol!

T.K.O.
10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
oh and i think the exchange between marshall and mcD went more like this
brandon:"now can i have a raise coach?"
mcD:"i told you.....if we beat new england,we'll talk!";)

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
oh and i think the exchange between marshall and mcD went more like this
brandon:"now can i have a raise coach?"
mcD:"i told you.....if we beat new england,we'll talk!";)

:tsk:You're such a synic! That conversation is coming if it hasn't already!

T.K.O.
10-07-2009, 11:12 AM
i'm sure you know i was kidding around.:D
i actually think the broncos and bm are very close to a deal,which would explain
brandons newly found giddy aproach to the coach.
i know he loves the game and is enjoying being on the winning side (after the meltdown last year)
but i think there is more to it than we know
i would bet we hear about an extension in the next month:beer:
i have always thought he deserves a new contract and hope we get it done before the season ends

guitarj
10-07-2009, 11:26 AM

I am with with on that! Too bad his posts dont resemble his intelligence more often.

Spiritguy
10-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Coming of a humiliating loss of a game and the Division, it was followed by the firing of the Coach that had finally taken Denver over the top but had floundered as of late...

A 5 step drop, tight man press coverage and a classic battle of who had more “Want it”. that person was Brandon Marshall. All tat perceived mistrust, disrespect.

Really enjoyed your piece. Interesting insight into the minds of people in sports. Highlighted a few minor typos in the quote above that you may want to correct before turning it in. :D

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I am with with on that! Too bad his posts dont resemble his intelligence more often.

Who says they don't :smack: JK! Sometimes you might need to look past the passion and the flair for the dramatic and see what I'm actually trying to say!

Also Thanks for the type-O catches. My spell checker didn't catch it..lol!

Appreciate all the positive and constructive critique! Will try to post the things I write here first..it has really helped out!

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh Damn! It might be a good angle for a story after all! It's now getting ripped off by writers on NFL.com lol! Mike Mayock I'm flattered! lol!
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Brand
10-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Nice piece. I think the basic points of human relationships in sports management are exemplified.

I am looking for an article on teh "mistakes" McD supposedly made. a good resarch on those "mistakes" would be useful in clearing up the befuddled minds of some.

I don't think he made "mistakes". When I ask people to name them, I get a blank stare and a "hem and haw" response and it seems to be an attitude with no substance. "

Mistakes". Name them.......

Let me add an example of McD's acumen. There were several if not hundreds of posters on this board and others that crucified Kerns and Prater during the season last year and in the preseason. Well, guess what? McD kept them. Those fellows are as much a part of the 4-0 as any other player on the team to this point. HOw about those KOs? How about the FGs? How about the punts that get some 50+ yards in changng the field position? I'll let you feret out other good descisons.

Maybe it's the better coaching and management decisions that is getting the job done......

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I think it was universially accepted that his first month or so was rocky to say the least and that he learned from the cutler situation. You can say the trading of cutler was or was not a good thing but his initial attitude was not appropriate and the lies to Cutler can't be considered anything but wrong. I tried to not put my own opinion or biases in it and just write it from a Psych angle. Love the compliment and the input! Not sure I could do as well about the "Mistakes" without the personal input! Might be a challenge to tackle lol!

Bronco Warrior
10-07-2009, 04:12 PM
As for Prater I loved him last year and still this year...a guy who can kick 75 yarders in practice and KOs thru the uprights in more than one game so far...you can't coach a leg like that into a guy but you can help him be more consistant. Kern was in the top of the league in Yards last year..what can you say?