PDA

View Full Version : What's Up with Former Broncos Sam Adams and Amon Gordon.

Stand Ablaze
12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Just thought I'd post this article to see what you guys thought of it.

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=5204206&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.2.1

By JOSINA ANDERSON, FOX 31 Sports

Defensive Tackles Sam Adams, and Amon Gordon were both released by the Broncos this season. Both former Broncos are represented by the same agent-Angelo Wright.

I spoke with Wright this morning to track the trails of both Gordon, and Adams.

First a little back-story on Gordon. Gordon became a first-team player for the Broncos this preseason.

Thereafter, Gordon started the first 3 regular-season games. However, Gordon subsequently fell out of favor and fell down the depth chart.

Ultimately, Gordon was released November 6th.

Josina: When I last talked to you the day Amon was released, you weren’t worried as you said you’d get him another job right away. I see he’s been picked up by the Ravens now. How do you think Baltimore will work out for him?

Angelo: I think he's a better fit there. They have an attacking scheme that fits him better. It’s a great opportunity for him because there’s a chance for turnover there. Some of there guys [current Ravens players] might not be coming back.

Josina: How does Gordon feel it’s going so far? [Gordon was recently promoted from the Ravens practice squad prior to the Sunday night game against the Colts].

Angelo: He’s happy to be playing there, and have a chance to contribute.

Josina: Why do you think it didn't work out for Gordon in Denver?

Angelo: They have some politics there with that Defensive Coordinator [he meant Asst. Head Coach/Defense Jim Bates—that’s his actual title].

They thought they were going one direction, and then they went another. Sometimes when coaches get pressured they put the onus on the players.

Now the back-story on Adams. Adams joined the Broncos as a free agent in June. Adams was brought here as a key cog in the new defensive philosophy employed by new Asst.

Head Coach/Defense Jim Bates who likes the mammoth tackle type. In 11 games during the regular-season, Adams registered just nine tackles, and zero sacks. Adams’ impact in Denver perhaps didn’t meet expectations, but no doubt Adams is one of the best run-stuffers of his era.

Josina: Why do you think the Broncos released Adams as well?

Angelo: Bates is fighting for his job. They brought him here to help them get into the playoffs, and now they’ve given up on the playoffs.

Josina: Don’t you find it interesting that the Broncos specifically brought Sam to Denver because he was a big-bodied tackle, and now he’s gone?

Angelo: He’s [Adams] the only one people respected on that line. The linebackers played poorly early; they didn’t get the scheme early. It’s just a convergence of skill level with respect to the scheme that didn’t work.

Josina: It’s unfortunate!

Angelo: They scapegoated Sam. Like I said, Bates is trying to save his job; but we’ve already seen that Shanahan will gut that whole thing.

At the end of our conversation Wright mentioned that he’s already fielded calls from a couple of playoff caliber teams interested in Adams.

Wright said that he’s optimistic that he can get Adams, “one more crack at the [Super bowl] apple." Adams has been to the Super bowl twice. He won with the Ravens in 2000, and lost with the Oakland Raiders in 2002.

It has been reported that the Green Bay Packers have showed interest in Adams subsequent to his release by the Broncos.

Judging by the tone in Wright’s voice, my instinct is that he’s a hard worker that makes things happen. I can’t say that about all the agents I talk to. So Adams has close to the best chance he’ll get of returning back to the field.

------

Is it Bates against the world now? :D

Krugan
12-17-2007, 10:53 PM
I think this could be credible, to an extent.

Im sure players agents will cover the players faults with pointing fingers, but Bates hasnt really shown that he is doing much to improve this defense.

Its been poor to awful all year, with a few sparks againts really bad teams.

If anyone is going to take the fall for this, Bates will be pretty close to the top. Mr. Teflon sure wont take the axe over this crapfest.

BroncoWave
12-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Yeah, it sounds like that agent is making excuses to me. But I plan on being a sports agent so I will probably wind up doing the same thing! :D

dogfish
12-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Is it Bates against the world now?

not entirely-- he's still got me in his corner, for what it's worth. . . i'm sure he's thrilled. . . . :laugh: ahh well, guess he'll have to take what he can get at this point. . .

i still think the guy has proven to be a hell of a coordinator, but he needs some solid talent to work with in the front seven, and we didn't have much of that this year. . . give him another offseason and the resources to add an impact player or two, and i think we could see a major turnaround on D-- put me on record that i expect a considerable improvement in that unit next year. . . even if we don't make a splash personnel wise, i expect at least some improvement from the experience guys got this year, and the growth and development of some of our young players. . . if we DO add the talent we need (at least one quality starting DT, and hopefully an upgrade at one of the OLB spots), i think our D could be pretty damn good next year. . .

also, i think that article is a complete puff piece-- the reporter couldn't have asked more leading questions! seems so obvious to me that i actually wonder if the agent may have paid her to write it. . . sam adams and amon grdon freakin' sucked-- SUCKED!! they're gone because they were simply awful, no two ways about it. . .

topscribe
12-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Adams was once a fine DT, but he was obviously over the hill. He had no
meaningful stats from all the games he played for Denver.

Gordon was not good. Period. He was keeping a better player off the roster.

The agent sounds like a used car salesman to me. He isn't going to make any
money off his players of someone doesn't think they are worth picking up. Of
course he is going to talk them up.

And the writer was tryig to justify his job with that useless article.

-----

Escobar
12-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Adams was once a fine DT, but he was obviously over the hill. He had no
meaningful stats from all the games he played for Denver.

Gordon was not good. Period. He was keeping a better player off the roster.

The agent sounds like a used car salesman to me. He isn't going to make any
money off his players of someone doesn't think they are worth picking up. Of
course he is going to talk them up.

And the writer was tryig to justify his job with that useless article.

-----
I agree with every letter you typed out there......sam adams was ONCE a beast..

Stargazer
12-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Well, Gordon found another job. Good for him.

And Sam Adams always seems to find a job. He may not join a team going to the playoffs this year, but someone will bring him in for training camp. The guy always seems to find a team willing to give him an opportunity.

Hawgdriver
12-18-2007, 01:51 PM
"politics" is what happens when you get shown the door...

hard work and results wins the day every time.

I think they may have been scapegoated to a degree, but that's fine. It's good for the young players to see that there are no guarantees in the Not For Long. I'm sure Bates knows he's on notice. We can forgive the personnel issues, but the clock is ticking.

underrated29
12-18-2007, 03:44 PM
I agree with every letter you typed out there......sam adams was ONCE a beast..

correction. adams is still a beast. Just not as a football player:salute:

but more in an all you can eat seafood buffet