PDA

View Full Version : What I would do.

lex
12-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Trade Champ Bailey for two mid 1st (this year and next year). That would give us 4 #1s over two years, so Id trade 2 of them to move up. This is what I would like (assuming DJ goes to WLB):

1. Darren McFadden, RB
1. Jeff Otah, RT
2. Spencer Larsen, ILB (traded down to acquire 3rd)
3. Oniel Cousins, LT
4. Jordy Nelson, WR/Ret
4. Tom Zbikowski/Steltz/Barrett
5. Justin Tryon, CB
5. Jeremy Zuttah, G/C/T
7. Brian Witherspoon, CB/Ret
7. Paul Raymond, WR/Ret

Additionally, I would sign Gibril Wilson and Corey Williams.

Lonestar
12-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Right now we have a shade under 17 mil in cap value available for next year . Which other players are you gonna cut to sign all of these wondrous players..

lex
12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Right now we have a shade under 17 mil in cap value available for next year . Which other players are you gonna cut to sign all of these wondrous players..

And Champ is supposed to make 12 mil next year. Id also cut Lepsis who is set to make around 7 mil.

Lonestar
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
And Champ is supposed to make 12 mil next year. Id also cut Lepsis who is set to make around 7 mil.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=26997

Bailey, Roland
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info
Draft Info

CB (#24)
Year: 1999

Denver Broncos
Round: 1

Folkston, GA
Position: 7

Salary History

2004 1000000.00
2005 540000.00
2006 5500000.00
2007 720000.00
2008 7500000.00
2009 6500000.00
2010 9500000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=25443

Lepsis

Lepsis, Matt
Player Info
Draft Info

OL (#78)
Year: 0

Denver Broncos
Round: 0

Castle Rock, CO
Position: 0

Salary History

2001 425000.00
2002 525000.00
2003 3400000.00
2004 3800000.00
2005 3500000.00
2006 2800000.00
2007 3150000.00
2008 4500000.00
2009 4750000.00

Accodring to Another site for 2007
Player Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value
Lepsis, $ 3,150,000 $ 0,000,000 $ 200,000 $ 6,350,000 $ 5,850,000
Bailey, $ 720,000 $ 4,780,000 $ 504,575 $ 6,004,575 $ 5,911,575

Must be the new math..

Do not think you have cut enough.

UnderArmour
12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Trade Champ Bailey for two mid 1st (this year and next year). That would give us 4 #1s over two years, so Id trade 2 of them to move up. This is what I would like (assuming DJ goes to WLB):

Lost me right there. Stop playing Madden.

lex
12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=26997

Bailey, Roland
Player Info
Draft Info

CB (#24)
Year: 1999

Denver Broncos
Round: 1

Folkston, GA
Position: 7

Salary History

2004 1000000.00
2005 540000.00
2006 5500000.00
2007 720000.00
2008 7500000.00
2009 6500000.00
2010 9500000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=25443

Lepsis

Lepsis, Matt
Player Info
Draft Info

OL (#78)
Year: 0

Denver Broncos
Round: 0

Castle Rock, CO
Position: 0

Salary History

2001 425000.00
2002 525000.00
2003 3400000.00
2004 3800000.00
2005 3500000.00
2006 2800000.00
2007 3150000.00
2008 4500000.00
2009 4750000.00

Accodring to Another site for 2007
Player Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value
Lepsis, $ 3,150,000 $ 0,000,000 $ 200,000 $ 6,350,000 $ 5,850,000
Bailey, $ 720,000 $ 4,780,000 $ 504,575 $ 6,004,575 $ 5,911,575

Must be the new math..

Do not think you have cut enough.

Alright, this is what someone posted at the Mane. So this is what Im going by.

Cos that's approx what he'll be on the books for come next season.

Champ turned $4.78m of 2007 base salary into a signing bonus which prorates through the final 3 years of his deal to 2010 thus that's his new whopping figure for 2008 (includes a base salary of $7.5m).

Whilst there's no doubt this guy is the best player to wear the Denver uniform for a while is one player really worth over 1/10 of a team's cap room

Here's some more approx cap hits for Broncos in 2008.

Champ Bailey $12.5m-base $7.5m
Matt Lepsis $7.1m-base $4.5m
Ian Gold $4.9m-base $2.75m
Dre Bly $4.8m-base $1.0m
Javon Walker $4.2m-base $2.1m
Tom Nalen $4.1m-base $1.9m
Dan Graham $4.0m-base $700k (additional $5m option bonus kicks in in 2008 which is already prorated)
John Lynch $4.0m-base $2.0m
Ben Hamilton $3.6m-base 2.81m
Rod Smith $3.5m-base 1.5m (contract is guaranteed no matter whether he returns or not)
Patrick Ramsey $3.45m-base $700k ($2m option/roster bonus due in 2008)
Travis Henry $3.4m-base $730k
Jay Cutler $3.2m-base $648k
DJ Williams $2.35m-base $850k
Alvin McKinley $2.0m-base $1.33m
John Engelberger $1.6m-base $1.33m (There's a good chance John's deal voids saving the team his base salary)
Jarvis Moss $1.5m-base $370k
Warrick Holdman $1.5m-base $1.0m

Every other player's cap hit should be below the $1m mark unless their base salary gets upgraded via the performance system the NFL operates.

Here's the poorly paid contributors

Elvis Dumervil $545k
Brandon Marshall $550k
Tony Scheffler $695k
Chris Kuper $485k
Marcus Thomas $475k
Selvin Young $370k
Andre Hall $370k

The Broncos have approx $7-$8m of dead cap room on the books for 2008 (Al Wilson and Gerard Warren)

They also should have somewhere around $20m mark in free cap space with 47 players under contract (currently between $96m-$97m) without touching any of these deals

lex
12-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Lost me right there. Stop playing Madden.

By Dave Krieger, Rocky Mountain News

You can imagine how excited The Worldwide Leader must be about its big AFC West showdown on Christmas Eve.

Broncos at Chargers. Monday Night Football. Santa reconfiguring his GPS unit.

Isn't this what the flex schedule was for?

It's not just Mike, Jaws and Tony who will have to find ways to fill time. The Broncos will, too. They aren't used to this.

Having been eliminated from the playoff chase with two games to play, those games mean nothing to them except draft position, which will improve if they lose them both.

The Broncos' Christmas wish list has seldom been longer. They are no longer in a position to trade away draft picks for the privilege of moving up in the first round, as they have each of the past two years.

Mike Shanahan hates to look ahead to next year until this year is over. Well, this year is over, whatever the schedule says. And Shanahan faces some big questions:

* What to do about Jim Bates?

The Broncos brought in Bates this season as assistant head coach/defense with considerable fanfare. It was reminiscent of the hiring of Ray Rhodes, another "name" defensive guru, and it had to work out better than that. Didn't it?

Um, no. Rhodes lasted two years. The Broncos have largely abandoned Bates' principles. Ironically, secondary coach Bob Slowik, who got the defensive coordinator title because Bates required something more impressive, is now actually coordinating the defense.

Shanahan seldom admits mistakes this quickly, but after this year's defensive collapse, it's hard to come up with a reason to bring Bates back.

* What to do about Scott O'Brien?

The Broncos brought in O'Brien this season as special teams coach to somewhat less fanfare than Bates, but they were hoping to add a little excitement to their transition game.

That much he certainly did.

On the bright side, O'Brien taught them how to get the field goal team lined up in record time.

On the dim side, Bears return man Devin Hester now has O'Brien on his Christmas card list. You'll be seeing the video from that one for years, sort of like the video of the Broncos waving at Corey Dillon as he set the single-game rushing record until his mark mercifully was broken.

Of course, if Bates goes, O'Brien might get a reprieve. It's hard to imagine Shanahan admitting two mistakes the same year.

* What to do at linebacker?

Al Wilson is not coming through that door. Ian Gold is a shadow of his former self. That leaves D.J. Williams, who may or may not belong in the middle, where he was moved this year to replace Wilson.

Although Williams has made the best of a bad situation, the single biggest upgrade the Broncos could make might be to bring in a legitimate middle linebacker who would allow Williams to move to the weak side and create a little havoc.

In any case, they need an upgrade over Nate Webster on the strong side. Anyway you look at it, this unit needs a makeover.

* What to do on the defensive line?

Because of their needs at linebacker, it's possible the Broncos will cross their fingers and hope that three 2007 draft choices - Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas - will blossom into playmakers.

It's something of a gamble since none of them exactly jumped off the page in their rookie seasons. But you can only fix so many things in one offseason, and it's unlikely Shanahan will devote two drafts in a row to the same area.

* What to do in the secondary?

Let's face it - "shutdown" corners are largely wasted in a bad defense. The NFL doesn't see many big trades anymore, but Shanahan made two when he acquired Champ Bailey and Dre Bly. If he doesn't have enough draft picks or free agent money to fill all his team's holes, might it be worth dealing a corner or two to help restock the cupboard?

All these questions and we haven't even talked about the offensive line, where the assumption seems to be that Tom Nalen will return and fix everything. Nalen will be 37 this spring. There are not many teams building lines around 37-year-old centers.

Even if Nalen can give them another year or two, the Broncos have succession issues. Ben Hamilton's season-ending concussion puts his football future in doubt.

Pass protection was a problem this year, but the Broncos have so many other areas of need, they may have to count on improvement from youngsters Chris Myers, Chris Kuper, Erik Pears and Ryan Harris.

Nor have we discussed veterans such as Travis Henry and Todd Sauerbrun, who make more news off the field than on it. Maybe the Broncos need to improve their karma quotient.

In any case, the last two games of the season become the first two games of next year's preseason.

Oh, joy. In the NFL, as you know, you can never have too many preseason games.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/17/krieger-broncos-offseason-full-questions-lets-get-/

I know its not popular but the guy makes a very valid point, one which I agree with.

Tned
12-17-2007, 10:37 PM

The problem is that the Broncos won't save $7.5 million in cap if they cut him, because the last three years of the prorated bonuses will escalate forward.

His original contract included $23 million in bonuses, which were paid up front, but spread over 7 years, which means they count towards the cap at $3.29 million a year. In addition, as you say, he converted $4.78 million of salary into a bonus, which would then be spread over 4 years (including 2007), so that would be an addition $1.2 million a year. All together, his bonuses are counting about $4.5 million a year against the cap, in addition to any salary he gets for a given year.

So, if the Broncos traded Bailey in the offseason, they would have to escalate the final three years of bonus money, which would be a $13.5 million cap hit.

To keep him, they would pay him his $7.5 million salary (if that is in fact the number) + count $4.5 million in prorated cap money, for a total of about $12 million.

So, it would cost them more in cap money to release/trade him then keep him. The only way they could lessen that cap hit would be to trade him after June 1st (which means they don't get draft picks for him), and then I think the formula is they would take 1/3 of that cap hit in '08 and 2/3 in '09.

So, whether or not it is worth it to trade Bailey for draft picks is another story, but it will cost the Broncos cap space, not make more, if he was traded for draft picks.

lex
12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
The problem is that the Broncos won't save $7.5 million in cap if they cut him, because the last three years of the prorated bonuses will escalate forward.
His original contract included $23 million in bonuses, which were paid up front, but spread over 7 years, which means they count towards the cap at $3.29 million a year. In addition, as you say, he converted $4.78 million of salary into a bonus, which would then be spread over 4 years (including 2007), so that would be an addition $1.2 million a year. All together, his bonuses are counting about $4.5 million a year against the cap, in addition to any salary he gets for a given year.

So, if the Broncos traded Bailey in the offseason, they would have to escalate the final three years of bonus money, which would be a $13.5 million cap hit.

To keep him, they would pay him his $7.5 million salary (if that is in fact the number) + count $4.5 million in prorated cap money, for a total of about $12 million.

So, it would cost them more in cap money to release/trade him then keep him. The only way they could lessen that cap hit would be to trade him after June 1st (which means they don't get draft picks for him), and then I think the formula is they would take 1/3 of that cap hit in '08 and 2/3 in '09.

So, whether or not it is worth it to trade Bailey for draft picks is another story, but it will cost the Broncos cap space, not make more, if he was traded for draft picks.

Yeah, thats fine but Im not trading Champ because of the salary burden. I know were not simply dumping his salary. I wasnt considering the June 1 part, though. But, in any case, JRWiz challenged this number and it is indeed what I said. Like I said, take your pick.

Tned
12-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, thats fine but Im not trading Champ because of the salary burden. I know were not simply dumping his salary. I wasnt considering the June 1 part, though. But, in any case, JRWiz challenged this number and it is indeed what I said. Like I said, take your pick.

It's a tough call. McFadden and those other picks 'could' go a long way in helping the team, Bailey is the best CB.

Lonestar
12-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Alright, this is what someone posted at the Mane. So this is what Im going by.

You need to do your own research and document it.. Do not repeat someone else's ideas..
Just because some one posted it does not make it gospel.

Here is a great source the others I posted above give the actual contract numbers without bonus:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

You know in your own heart that one can not redo deals on rookie players and that mikey will not redo contract until the final year of the rookie contract.

So all the talk is wind..

This teams obvious issue is pressure on the QB and stopping the run .. Everyone knows whose responsibility that is..

Once they get that under control everything else falls into place.. What good would it do to fire the secondary only to hire a great DL.

Your back to square one..

Lets see fire Champ to get a DT. No way to run a railroad IMO.

lex
12-17-2007, 10:57 PM
It's a tough call. McFadden and those other picks 'could' go a long way in helping the team, Bailey is the best CB.

Yeah, Bailey is the best CB and his value will never be higher. There are 2 horrid AFC East teams who could really use him facing Moss/Brady twice a year. CBs, however, should be the last piece of the puzzle and not the first piece of the puzzle. Basically, it comes down to our DLine. Weve put a lot of pieces in place in Thomas, Dumervil, Moss, and Crowder and theyre either going to get it done or they arent. If they do get it done, we could probably get away with 3 good corners. Meanwhile, our running game has fallen so far from where it once was and a part of that has been due to dedicating personnel decisions to improve the defense. We need a better running game though...better Olinemen...and a gamebreaking running back would really help Cutler, aside from it being our forte. People have been under the erroneous assumption we can get by on a 1200 back. Not true. What really matters is being able to run against good teams on the road in important games. We used to be able to do that. Averaging 9 yards a carry vs the Chiefs is great but thats not the objective.

lex
12-17-2007, 11:00 PM
You need to do your own research and document it.. Do not repeat someone else's ideas..
Just because some one posted it does not make it gospel.

Here is a great source the others I posted above give the actual contract numbers without bonus:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

You know in your own heart that one can not redo deals on rookie players and that mikey will not redo contract until the final year of the rookie contract.

So all the talk is wind..

This teams obvious issue is pressure on the QB and stopping the run .. Everyone knows whose responsibility that is..

Once they get that under control everything else falls into place.. What good would it do to fire the secondary only to hire a great DL.

Your back to square one..

Lets see fire Champ to get a DT. No way to run a railroad IMO.

Look, like it or not, Im going by the other information. I really hope that doesnt cause further emotional duress but its too easy to find a link that doesnt acknowledge the 4.5 part since it only happened last year.

Lonestar
12-17-2007, 11:01 PM

Outstanding post.. But I think the cap hit is 50% this year and 50% next year unless they changed that in the newest Player agreement that was how it was a couple of years ago.

Tned
12-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Outstanding post.. But I think the cap hit is 50% this year and 50% next year unless they changed that in the newest Player agreement that was how it was a couple of years ago.

The '06 CBA ammendment or whatever it is called, does it as 1/3 - 2/3. I had always thought it was 50/50 and had previously posted as much on BM in the past, but when I was looking this last offseason, I am relatively sure of the 1/3-2/3. I'll double check it when I get a chance.

Lonestar
12-18-2007, 12:07 AM
The '06 CBA ammendment or whatever it is called, does it as 1/3 - 2/3. I had always thought it was 50/50 and had previously posted as much on BM in the past, but when I was looking this last offseason, I am relatively sure of the 1/3-2/3. I'll double check it when I get a chance.

You have more important issues to deal with on the forum.. We have plenty of time before the next draft.. to worry about it..

Tned
12-18-2007, 12:17 AM
You have more important issues to deal with on the forum.. We have plenty of time before the next draft.. to worry about it..

Nothing's more important than talking Broncos football.

DenBronx
12-23-2007, 03:08 PM
2 1st rounders would be hard to pass up. but i'd rather us deal bly over bailey. if we could get a 1st rounder for bly then id be all over that. the resign foxy to a long term deal and make him the starter (something he wants to be). i think foxy would do just as good as bly anyway....maybe not get as many picks but i think he is a better tackler. so....if we're going to deal a cb id say bly would be the one. both bailey and bly have been in the league 9 years....bailey would like another long term deal anyway and he loves being a bronco. so if we can give bailey a new contract this offseason it might help lower his salary next year and spread it over 5 years.

maybe the redskins would give us their 1st rounder for bly??? haha

Tned
12-23-2007, 03:10 PM
2 1st rounders would be hard to pass up. but i'd rather us deal bly over bailey. if we could get a 1st rounder for bly then id be all over that. the resign foxy to a long term deal and make him the starter (something he wants to be). i think foxy would do just as good as bly anyway....maybe not get as many picks but i think he is a better tackler. so....if we're going to deal a cb id say bly would be the one. both bailey and bly have been in the league 9 years....bailey would like another long term deal anyway and he loves being a bronco. so if we can give bailey a new contract this offseason it might help lower his salary next year and spread it over 5 years.

maybe the redskins would give us their 1st rounder for bly??? haha

I doubt we could get a first rounder for Bly. I would think more like 2nd or 3rd.

DenBronx
12-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I doubt we could get a first rounder for Bly. I would think more like 2nd or 3rd.

do you think he would be worth a high 2nd rounder? would the broncos even deal him?

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
12-23-2007, 04:30 PM
do you think he would be worth a high 2nd rounder? would the broncos even deal him?

no and no.

and the broncos wont trade bailey so this thread is basicly a fanasty thread or another gm wannabe thread.

Bronco4ever
12-23-2007, 04:42 PM
The draft is a crap shoot. I don't want to give up our best player for a potentially good player. We already know what we have with Champ: the best corner in the league. Potential is nice, but it's better to have a proven commodity like Champ.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-23-2007, 07:01 PM
There will be no trading of Bailey. It makes no sense however you attempt to package it.

What I would do is trade Foxxy to Dallas for Bobby Carpenter, like we almost did earlier in the season. I would then trade or drop Ian Gold. I would go after less expensive solid veteran FAs like Jordan Gross, OT of Carolina and Karlos Dansby, OLB of Arizona. I may spend a bit to land Hamlin, S of Dallas. Draft Kenny Phillips of Miami and let Lynch go as well. The salary cap is gonna go up, so there will be room...there always is. And if there isn't the stud who will be cut or traded will be Javon...but not Champ.

DenBronx
12-23-2007, 10:20 PM
you guys do realize that bailey is only 29 right? bly i think is 31???

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
12-23-2007, 10:26 PM

he's 30. bly and bailey still a lot of productive years left. especially bailey.

lex
12-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Is 29 young for a CB?

Seriously, its a poor year for CBs in the draft, also Champ is a luxury in that he can contribute only as much as the front 7 will let him. Put another way, our team is built back to front and most good teams are built front to back. Trading Champ would allow us to address some of our more dire needs faster. We really need to improve the running game and pass protection. Also, even though the CBs are only as good as the front 7 allow them to be, the worst CB on the field is just as, if not more, important than who you have as your best CB. I like Champ but our team needs a lot of work and trading would give us flexibility to fix the team faster.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
12-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Is 29 young for a CB?

Seriously, its a poor year for CBs in the draft, also Champ is a luxury in that he can contribute only as much as the front 7 will let him. Put another way, our team is built back to front and most good teams are built front to back. Trading Champ would allow us to address some of our more dire needs faster. We really need to improve the running game and pass protection. Also, even though the CBs are only as good as the front 7 allow them to be, the worst CB on the field is just as, if not more, important than who you have as your best CB. I like Champ but our team needs a lot of work and trading would give us flexibility to fix the team faster.

champ has atleast 5 more years of elite play in him in my opinion. the guy is a great athlete.

so for a guy like champ, 29 is young.

and trading champ would hurt our salary cap.

lex
12-24-2007, 02:53 PM
champ has atleast 5 more years of elite play in him in my opinion. the guy is a great athlete.

so for a guy like champ, 29 is young.

and trading champ would hurt our salary cap.

If we were to do this, we should have 20 something mil to work with, which should be fine.

underrated29
12-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Here is one major flaw i see in this. (besides the fact that we wont trade bailey or bly, but it is fun to specualte.)

How are we supposed to get 2 1st rdrs for champ. i dont understand. Are we trading him to a team, lets use cleveland as an example, for their 1st this year and 1st next year?

or are we trading him to a team (cle) and our 1st, for thiers, and then they trade champ to lets say dallas for their first, in which they then trade back to us for our 1st we originally sent them.

How so we acquire 2 1st for him?

Becuase if we get a 1st this year and 1 next year, no team is going to accept those 2 1sts to allow us to move up.

From what i understand, we are going to trade our 1st and the '09 first to a team to move up to grab dmac. There is no way a team will go for that. They have absolutely no idea how a team is going to do for that year. Even the packers sucked last year and now might make it to the SB. (they wont.)

We would have to trade our 1st, their 1st this year to move up leaving our next pick as a 2nd rdr, and then we would ahve their first for '09.

I think the only team who would do such a thing is washington, but they arent in possesion of one of the top 3 0r 4 picks.

PS-dmac is going to go to atl, or NYJ,imo

lex
12-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Here is one major flaw i see in this. (besides the fact that we wont trade bailey or bly, but it is fun to specualte.)

How are we supposed to get 2 1st rdrs for champ. i dont understand. Are we trading him to a team, lets use cleveland as an example, for their 1st this year and 1st next year?

or are we trading him to a team (cle) and our 1st, for thiers, and then they trade champ to lets say dallas for their first, in which they then trade back to us for our 1st we originally sent them.

How so we acquire 2 1st for him?

Becuase if we get a 1st this year and 1 next year, no team is going to accept those 2 1sts to allow us to move up.

From what i understand, we are going to trade our 1st and the '09 first to a team to move up to grab dmac. There is no way a team will go for that. They have absolutely no idea how a team is going to do for that year. Even the packers sucked last year and now might make it to the SB. (they wont.)

We would have to trade our 1st, their 1st this year to move up leaving our next pick as a 2nd rdr, and then we would ahve their first for '09.

I think the only team who would do such a thing is washington, but they arent in possesion of one of the top 3 0r 4 picks.

PS-dmac is going to go to atl, or NYJ,imo

A lot of people seem to think Champ would get two mid 1sts or a high 1st and, say, a third next year or this year. If we went with the two mid firsts, that would give us 4 firsts in 2 years. If we went with the latter scenario, that would give us two top 10 firsts this year. And to be truthful, I wouldnt rule out Parcells trading down to accumulate picks since 1) Miami needs more help than any other team and 2) since Parcells is a new guy, he may want to start weeding guys out and putting his own guys in there and one way to do that would be to amass picks in the first and 2nd.

underrated29
12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
A lot of people seem to think Champ would get two mid 1sts or a high 1st and, say, a third next year or this year. If we went with the two mid firsts, that would give us 4 firsts in 2 years. If we went with the latter scenario, that would give us two top 10 firsts this year. And to be truthful, I wouldnt rule out Parcells trading down to accumulate picks since 1) Miami needs more help than any other team and 2) since Parcells is a new guy, he may want to start weeding guys out and putting his own guys in there and one way to do that would be to amass picks in the first and 2nd.

ok.

with scenario 1 though we would have to trade both 1sts to move up to grab him though, so i think we would only end up with 1 st rd pick, instead of two, unless we get to keep one of this years and trade a future 1st and 3rd or something.

lex
12-24-2007, 04:37 PM
ok.

with scenario 1 though we would have to trade both 1sts to move up to grab him though, so i think we would only end up with 1 st rd pick, instead of two, unless we get to keep one of this years and trade a future 1st and 3rd or something.

Yeah, in scenario one we could trade the two acquired picks...essentially decreasing from 4 to 3 but while improving our position with one of them.

But keep in mind, there are really two parts of this. One is making the trade and what we would get and the other part is what we would do with it. So, if say we traded Champ for two mid firsts there are a number of things we could do. This is what I would do.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-25-2007, 05:40 PM
If we trade either of the big 2, Bly has to go. Dude is crappy and not deserving of the $$ he is getting.

Lonestar
12-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Champs is not going anywhere unless he asks to be traded..

Bly I finally saw him make a one on one open field tackle on a quality RB in the SAN game.. Wonders never cease, maybe their is hope for him..His coverage skills seem to lack focus but then it may be because he is a glorified Safety playing RUN FIRST

broncogirl7
12-25-2007, 11:08 PM
It would be crazy to get rid of or trade one of our only bright spots on defense. I would probably trade Gold at this point. We need major changes on defense in the off-season.

Lonestar
12-25-2007, 11:17 PM
It would be crazy to get rid of or trade one of our only bright spots on defense. I would probably trade Gold at this point. We need major changes on defense in the off-season.

I really believe one or two really good changes are necessary

ONE Hanesworth TYPE DT big and hefty can stuff the run and demand double to triple blocking.

Another medium grade DT to spell aforementioned DT and Thomas who I believe will become a dominate DT and will help to collapse the pocket from the middle and force the QB's in what looks to be an up and coming group of DE's in Moss, Crowder and Dumervil..

A late day one or very early two pick at LB that can play SAM or maybe will.

Although I like what I see with Windborn and fast LB with size who is not afraid to mix it up and make a real tackle one on one..

We also need to find an eventual replacement for John Lynch..