PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Broncos face new challenge - prosperity

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13492416

Broncos linebacker Darrell Reid is an extroverted guy. The one with a big smile, big voice and big personality.

So it's really no surprise when he cut right to the chase about what faces the Broncos now.

"You keep winning and you can only be underdogs so long," Reid said.

There it is. The Broncos have tried to make the most of the outside skepticism of their efforts. It's been a part of their team meetings, about getting respect, about how nobody believes in them, etc .

And often that can be a tidy rallying point for a team in professional football.

But at 4-0 and having surrendered a league-low 26 points, the Broncos are no longer under anybody's radar. And just as struggle can often show a lot about a team's makeup, so can prosperity.

Prosperity has dissolved just as many teams' dreams as injuries. It's why Super Bowl champions don't repeat much of the time, it's why teams that lost the Super Bowl don't even usually make the playoffs the following year.

And it's why so many coaches and veteran players who have ridden the merry go-round a few times in their career dislike the compliments almost as much as they despise the criticism.

There is a thin line between football confidence and vanity, it seems.

The Broncos have made it a quarter of the way through the season feasting on criticisms of their new way of doing things. But at 4-0, already atop the AFC West by two games, things have changed.

And it's just another test in a season that figures to be full of them.

OldschoolFreak
10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I totally agree with this piece. We've seen in the first 4 weeks that these are all elite pro athletes and that the ability to play solid football as a team is much more important than scouting reports on individual players. But now comes the other side of that. The Patriots also have dominant pro athletes and a coaching staff that fiercely wants to win.

The Broncos must avoid thinking "see, we've proved it, we can play with anybody" and instead focusing on taking nothing for granted and remembering that they were picked to win 3 games this year if they want to have a shot.

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm fairly sure McD has or will have the team in the right mental state by Sunday's game time. It is up to the players to carry it through though.

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 03:48 PM
If I'm not mistaken Denver is still going to go into Sunday's game as the underdog.

MasterShake
10-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I honestly think that week in, week out good teams take other teams seriously no matter what. No one should be under anyones radar unless its in the media or the opinions of fans. There are only 32 teams, and even the Lions or Raiders can give you a run for your money if you're not careful. Deep down, I think inside the locker room as professional athletes they know you can't disrespect anyone.

The only "disrespect" towards the Broncos came not from the Bengals, Browns, Raiders, and Cowboys but from the media who doesn't care about the flyover states between each coast. If the Broncos keep up what they've been doing and respect each team they face, not fear them, it doesn't matter what anyone outside of the locker room or their fanbase thinks of them they WILL keep winning. Or at least keep being competitive.

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I honestly think that week in, week out good teams take other teams seriously no matter what. No one should be under anyones radar unless its in the media or the opinions of fans. There are only 32 teams, and even the Lions or Raiders can give you a run for your money if you're not careful. Deep down, I think inside the locker room as professional athletes they know you can't disrespect anyone.

The only "disrespect" towards the Broncos came not from the Bengals, Browns, Raiders, and Cowboys but from the media who doesn't care about the flyover states between each coast. If the Broncos keep up what they've been doing and respect each team they face, not fear them, it doesn't matter what anyone outside of the locker room or their fanbase thinks of them they WILL keep winning. Or at least keep being competitive.

I was just watching "The NFL's Top 10 Worst Teams" and a former linebacker by the name of Bill Burgey said that his team always liked having the Saints on the schedule because the pencil it in as a win.

MasterShake
10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
I was just watching "The NFL's Top 10 Worst Teams" and a former linebacker by the name of Bill Burgey said that his team always liked having the Saints on the schedule because the pencil it in as a win.

Thats because the Saints couldn't even take themselves seriously back then. :lol:

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Thats because the Saints couldn't even take themselves seriously back then. :lol:

Well my point is that some of these teams that we're going to face may take us to lightly.

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Well my point is that some of these teams that we're going to face may take us to lightly.

I hope they do. I hope we don't do the same.

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I hope they do. I hope we don't do the same.

As long as the pundits keep saying Denver is going to lose McDaniels and the team leaders will continue to use that as motivation each week.

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2009, 04:46 PM
As long as the pundits keep saying Denver is going to lose McDaniels and the team leaders will continue to use that as motivation each week.

I worry about after they figure out we ain't who we were last year. I think McD has it under control.

MileHighCrew
10-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm sure the players hear all the same, they didn't play anyone... now they have the tough part of the schedule.... they are not an elite team... overrated... Romo lost that game the Broncos didn't win it crap we all read in the media. They are building confidence which is great but I am sure this team is far from cocky. They know they have lots to prove and it is still us against the world. At least for this week!

Lonestar
10-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I have yet to hear Josh or for that matter anyone on the TEAM say anything but we have a lot of mistakes to correct and we are focused only on the next game..

eye on the ball..

I just heard him say on BTV

"we try to limit our mistakes.
we try to take away the other teams strengths

we try to play tuff, smart, physical football for 60 minutes..

it sounds redundant nobody believes in it except the guys inside the building..

everyone thinks your talking coach speak

tough, smart, physical football wins most games..

that is how you win in this league.. everyone has good players, good coaches, if your players play tougher, smarter and execute under pressure better than the other team you win games.."..