PDA

View Full Version : D.J. Williams "instrumental" to Denver Broncos' success

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13495128

There's something different about D.J. Williams, and not just the fact that for the first time in his NFL career, he has hair on his head.

Williams is the proud owner of an increasingly long Mohawk, and the new 'do makes him "wish I could fly," he said.

A flying D.J. Williams? Now that's a scary thought, because a grounded Williams has been terrifying enough this season, especially in the Broncos' 17-10 victory over Dallas on Sunday.

Champ Bailey might have been a defensive star, with his third-quarter interception and two goal-line pass deflections in the game's final seconds, and it may have been Brian Dawkins who made a touchdown-saving tackle in the fourth quarter, but few could argue against Williams being Denver's best all-around defensive player.

Williams, one of Denver's two inside linebackers, had nine solo tackles, a sack and two pass breakups, and recovered a fumble deep in Dallas territory to set up Denver's first touchdown.

Williams is tied for the team lead with 31 total stops in a 4-0 season.

"He had a good game (Sunday)," coach Josh McDaniels said. "D.J.'s just a very good linebacker and could be a good player in any system I think."

Williams is one of only two draft picks remaining from before the class of 2006 and one of only two defenders left who started the last time the Broncos went to the playoffs in the 2005 season. The other is Bailey.

Williams has been a star throughout his career in Denver, with 74 starts, 170 tackles in 2007 and a team-high 86 tackles last year before injuring his knee in the Broncos' eighth game, despite an annual game of musical chairs with his position. He played all three linebacker positions in Mike Shanahan's 4-3 defensive scheme and is now the "Jack" linebacker — on the weak side, away from the opponent's tight end — for McDaniels and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

"I'm everywhere. I don't even call it a position," Williams said. "I'm deep, I'm blitzing, I'm on the line, I'm doing a lot of things. It all has to do with the other guys on the field. They're allowing me to roam, do the things that I do."

That showed against Dallas, when he was at times sent at Tony Romo in a blitz package and at others asked to fall back into pass coverage. The result was a sack — his first of the year — and also two pass breakups, including a brutal hit on Dallas receiver Roy Williams, who later called the hit the hardest he's ever taken.

"That's why it's great to have him, because I couldn't have made that play," said Andra Davis, Denver's other inside linebacker, who also has 31 total tackles this season.

Williams on the inside and Elvis Dumervil on the outside are the two Denver linebackers who remain in the game on both running and passing downs, and it is Williams who makes the defensive calls for the linemen and linebackers.

He's no longer officially a team captain, but his leadership role has not diminished on the revamped defense.

"D.J. is very instrumental in what we do defensively," McDaniels said. "Guys listen and respond to him every day."

RedFalcon
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Indeed, DJ was, is and will be the best Bronco we have in defense. I just love the guy! Ever since we drafted him in '04, he's my favorite!

BroncoAV06
10-06-2009, 04:45 PM
A lot of people were calling for his head last year but the dudes an athlete who always has performed and we are seeing why Denver extended him. That hit on Roy was huge, I don't see how he would have held onto that ball in any sercumstances.

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 04:53 PM
A lot of people were calling for his head last year but the dudes an athlete who always has performed and we are seeing why Denver extended him. That hit on Roy was huge, I don't see how he would have held onto that ball in any sercumstances.

That's right people were calling for his last year, and didn't even take into consideration that he was playing injured for good portion of the year. For guy that is considered dumb as a rock by many he sure is playing well.

MileHighCrew
10-06-2009, 05:20 PM
DJ will go down as one of the great all time Broncos LB.:salute: And the rest of the league still wont know who he is:confused:

RedFalcon
10-06-2009, 05:24 PM
DJ will go down as one of the great all time Broncos LB.:salute: And the rest of the league still wont know who he is:confused:

That's the disadvantage of playing in Denver. The rest of the league kinda disregard you. All we need is for us to get to the playoffs once again. And for DJ to be the team's leader in tackles. Maybe then, he'll get some attention.

:defense:

MileHighCrew
10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't care if he is a feature on NFL Today as long as he is on our team and gets the love he deserves from us (Broncos Fans)

Dean
10-06-2009, 05:32 PM

The ball carriers will. I would bet that Roy Williams will not only remember but try to avoid him both now and in the future.