PDA

View Full Version : Once dismal Broncos defense thriving under Nolan

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-dynamicdefense&prov=ap&type=lgns

Once dismal Broncos defense thriving under Nolan
By PAT GRAHAM, AP Sports Writer
Oct 5, 5:09 pm EDT

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—The Denver Broncos’ defense was the laughingstock of the league over the last few years, giving up a profusion of points and forcing precious few turnovers.

This is no longer that defense.

The Broncos are now actually relying on the defense to rescue them, like it did in a 17-10 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday that kept Denver unbeaten through the first month of the season. That defense thwarted a potential tying drive when Champ Bailey(notes) swatted away a pass in the end zone on a fourth-and-goal play with 1 second remaining.

“There are very few situations that can shake us,” cornerback Andre’ Goodman(notes) said.

In just one offseason, a once-maligned defense that ranked at or near the bottom in every major statistical category has been transformed into a trustworthy unit. Last year, the team surrendered 28 points a game. This season, it’s given up only 26 points in four games.

The Broncos also have forced 10 turnovers, three shy of what they produced all of last season. The porous defense ultimately led to the firing of Mike Shanahan as his squad missed the playoffs for a third straight season.

The reclamation project began shortly after rookie coach Josh McDaniels took over. One of his first hires was defensive mastermind Mike Nolan, who implemented a 3-4 scheme.

Then came the acquisitions. The Broncos revamped their secondary by adding perennial Pro Bowler Brian Dawkins(notes), Goodman and Renaldo Hill(notes); brought in veteran linebacker Andra Davis(notes); and provided depth on the line with Ronald Fields(notes), Le Kevin Smith(notes) and Vonnie Holliday(notes).

“In this defense, I see pride, I see hunger, I see a battle for respect,” linebacker Mario Haggan(notes) said.

Still, respect has been hard to come by.

Most pundits remember the last few seasons when Denver was dismal on defense, burning through one coordinator after another trying to shore up numerous deficiencies.

And while Nolan has brought stability, the Broncos’ fast start on defense was dismissed by many a critic as nothing more than a product of a weak early schedule.

Then came the Dallas performance, where the defense bottled up one of the top rushing teams by holding the Cowboys to 74 yards on 25 carries. The Broncos are hoping that buys some credibility.

“To come out and do it against a great team shows we are a great team,” said linebacker D.J. Williams(notes), whose club is surrendering a league-low 6.5 points a game. “We still have a long way to go.”

It sure beats the last few years.

“I was on the field a lot, giving up big plays, everybody running around on us,” Williams recounted. “Now we’re on a defense like this, everybody’s making plays and stopping people.”

Bailey made a big contribution Sunday, picking off Tony Romo’s(notes) pass deep in Denver territory and swatting away two more thrown his direction in the end zone on the final drive.

It’s not often that Bailey gets picked on. He rather enjoyed it.

“I welcome it. Please do,” Bailey said. “That’s the only way that I get a chance to make plays.”

Before Bailey’s late deflections in the end zone, Dawkins came up with a touchdown-saving tackle when he raced across the field to drag down Sam Hurd(notes) at the Denver 20 following a 53-yard catch-and-run on fourth down.

It was an impressive burst for a 14-year veteran who’s supposedly lost a step.

“He may be a 35-year-old in age, but he’s 22 in playing time,” Haggan said. “He’s that type of player—when you need big plays he delivers.”

Dawkins hasn’t needed long to win over teammates and become a leader. The longtime Philadelphia Eagles standout brings an intimidating presence to a Denver defense that has been lacking one over the years.

“We’re a disciplined group,” said Dawkins, who turns 36 on Oct. 13. “All of us are coachable and when (Nolan) says something about stopping a team, we all believe and buy into it.”

That’s because Nolan spreads the wealth, devising a game plan each week that entices the interest of players.

“Everyone wants the ball on offense, so you’ve got to spread it around,” said Nolan, who’s been a defensive coordinator for Baltimore, Washington, the Jets and the Giants. “On defense, it’s a little bit of the same way when you play the 3-4: guys want their number called, where they get to blitz and get to do some of the fun things.”

Elvis Dumervil(notes) has been thriving in Nolan’s system, using his long arms and low center of gravity off the edge of the line as a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker. Dumervil sacked Romo twice on Sunday, giving him eight this season and tying him for the league lead.

“I’ve been blessed to be in this situation,” Dumervil said. “The defensive scheme is excellent.”

Dreadnought
10-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Then came the acquisitions. The Broncos revamped their secondary by adding perennial Pro Bowler Brian Dawkins(notes), Goodman and Renaldo Hill(notes); brought in veteran linebacker Andra Davis(notes); and provided depth on the line with Ronald Fields(notes), Le Kevin Smith(notes) and Vonnie Holliday(notes).

Full props to McDaniels here - our defensive FA signings have been uncannily good. Its a pleasure to watch these guys play.

broncofaninfla
10-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Unless our offense improves in the passing game, our defense will carry us this season. Kind of like the 77 team.

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Full props to McDaniels here - our defensive FA signings have been uncannily good. Its a pleasure to watch these guys play.

I have to admit I was very skeptical of Fields and McBean but they have held up ten times better than I thought they would.

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Unless our offense improves in the passing game, our defense will carry us this season. Kind of like the 77 team.

I think this is a much more talented offense than the one that we had in '77and even though they have struggled I think we're getting better production out this unit than one we had in '77. That being said, there are several things they have get corrected in order for them to get very far.

Dreadnought
10-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I think this is a much more talented offense than the one that we had in '77and even though they have struggled I think we're getting better production out this unit than one we had in '77. That being said, there are several things they have get corrected in order for them to get very far.

Agreed. Our Achilles heel in '77 was heinously bad pass blocking combined with Carig Morton's almost complete lack of mobility. I loved Morton, loved his arm, accuracy, leadership, etc. but when faced with a Blitz pretty much all he could do was curl up in a fetal position and protect the Ball. I don't think Orton is even half the pure passer Morton was, but he doesn't have to be and he enjoys the luxury of one of the top O-lines in the League to work behind.

NightTrainLayne
10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
The offense continues to make strides each week (Dallas is no slouch on defense). If we can just continue this steady improvement, by the end of the season the offense will be there.

broncofaninfla
10-06-2009, 09:50 AM

I agree.

Bronco Warrior
10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
So Royal is Upchurch, Marshall is Haven Moses..in a D End's body, and Orton is Morton? (hey that rhymed) lol. And really you think McDaniels was the one that picked out Dawkins and the crew or do you think Nolan said I want these guys, and Josh signed off on it!?

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2009, 10:20 AM
So Royal is Upchurch, Marshall is Haven Moses..in a D End's body, and Orton is Morton? (hey that rhymed) lol. And really you think McDaniels was the one that picked out Dawkins and the crew or do you think Nolan said I want these guys, and Josh signed off on it!?

I would say that McD and Nolan talked about the needs of the team and decided those guys would fill the gaps mutually. ;)

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I would say that McD and Nolan talked about the needs of the team and decided those guys would fill the gaps mutually. ;)

I don't know about Dawkins, but I wouldn't have hard believing Fields is here mainly because of Nolan. That's meant to be a slam on McDaniels and has to do with fact that Fields had played for Nolan last season.