PDA

View Full Version : Tony Uh-Oh didn't know it was 4th down?

honz
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/05/romo-didnt-know-it-was-fourth-down/

Maybe Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo's inability to bust through the glass ceiling against which his career is repeatedly bumping comes not from a lack of desire or work ethic.

Maybe he's just not smart enough to be a high-level NFL quarterback.

The first piece of evidence that's causing us to explore this theory comes from Sunday's loss to the Broncos. Per Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Romo possibly didn't realize that it was fourth down when it was, you know, fourth down in the closing seconds of the seven-point loss to the Broncos.

Hill points to video from KDFW, which shows Romo telling his linemen to get up and then flashing three fingers to an official. Romo then "screams and walks off the field" after hearing the response.

Romo's error is being identified as a possible explanation for his otherwise inexplicable decision to throw the ball twice to receiver Sam Hurd while he was being covered by Denver cornerback Champ Bailey.

So what happened? Possibly, the spike that Romo used to kill the clock on second down didn't register for him.

Regardless, of all the people in the stadium in position to know the down and distance information, the one person who must know it is the quarterback of the team in possession of the ball.

Even if it was a temporary release of brain gas, the fact remains that franchise quarterbacks don't make that mistake. Ever.

And so, until he proves otherwise, Romo won't be regarded as a franchise quarterback by us.

honz
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2009/10/romo-didnt-know-it-was-fourth-down-maybe-thats-why-threw-it-to-hurd-again.html

Romo didn't know it was fourth down?

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is getting a lot of criticism for throwing consecutive passes to fourth receiver Sam Hurd against Denver standout cornerback Champ Bailey on third and fourth down to end the game in Sunday's 17-10 loss.
Is is possible that Romo didn't know it was fourth down?
Following the final incomplete pass to end the Cowboys hopes, a video caught on KDFW Fox-4 shows Romo seemingly telling his linemen to line back up. He then flashes three fingers to one of the game officials.
After hearing the response, Romo screams and walks off field.
If true, Romo apparently forgot about the spike to stop the clock on second down.
When asked about the series of events, coach Wade Phillips didn't know anything about a discrepancy. He said they on the sideline what down it was and any questions would need to be directed at Romo.
They may not be until Wednesday or Thursday. Romo is not scheduled to talk to the media until then.

Clarence E. Hill Jr.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
whoopsy!

Bronco Warrior
10-05-2009, 08:50 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/05/romo-didnt-know-it-was-fourth-down/

OMG! The parade of excuses continues! Can't the Cowboys and the writers lose with any grace? Newman says he got beat cause Marshall offensively held him...that's what a bigger stronger Player with a ton more "Want it" will do when you try to jam him and he shruggs you off like a fly...no contact after 5 yards. Also Romo intimated that Bailey had got to the receiver early. Which time he wrecked you for being stupid enough to challenge him??

SmilinAssasSin27
10-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Um...Champ did have a hold of that dude on 4th down. It was a gift no call.

Brand
10-06-2009, 01:02 AM
I thought he hit the ball before the arm slipped around. If so, no foul......

rcsodak
10-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Um...Champ did have a hold of that dude on 4th down. It was a gift no call.

Pro Bowlers know how to get away with it.

Holding happens on every play. Just gotta hope they avg. out.

FanInAZ
10-06-2009, 01:14 AM
I'd like to see the alleged video evidence for myself. People's interpretations of other peoples non-verbal communications are often erroneous.

Overtime
10-06-2009, 01:41 AM
i saw it numerous times on NFL Primetime, and Champs right arm was hooked around Hurd's waist, so yeah we got a gift there on that final play.

FanInAZ
10-06-2009, 02:40 AM
i saw it numerous times on NFL Primetime, and Champs right arm was hooked around Hurd's waist, so yeah we got a gift there on that final play.

Actually I meant of Romo acting like he didn't know that it was 4th down. Sorry about the confusion, but that was the original topic of this thread.

Dirk
10-06-2009, 05:27 AM
I think I saw a Broncos player dressed as a Cowboys player and didn't try hard enough on that pass to BMarsh...then another Broncos player was in the huddle telling Romo that Champ is going to play soft.

Geesh...knowing that it is 4th down or not, he still threw the ball. Get over the excuses and except the loss and move on or you will lose focus of your next game.

gobroncsnv
10-06-2009, 06:51 AM

That's not a foul, since Champ didn't alter the receiver's position... there's an official phrase that they use for it, but if the defender doesn't alter the receiver's route or interfere with the hands, they don't call that. You'll see that happen time and again on plays, with no calls. The gift was, the ref stuck by the rule.

Bronco Warrior
10-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Champ had a forearm on Turd's back but didn't use and leverage to hinder the receiver and it was in the process of knocking the ball away..not a foul on any level..but don't ask me I just played corner for years :tongue:. Any more excuses for the sadazz Cowboys we can throw out? Or try to diminish a fantastic defensive game and goal line? Romo and the CowGirls need to stop making excuses of turn in with their man-card!!

SmilinAssasSin27
10-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Homers, all of you. That gets called 99% of the time.

Bronco Warrior
10-06-2009, 06:05 PM

Homers, all of you. That gets called 99% of the time.

Not a homer just played the positon for 11 years including pro indoor and if you don't alter the route or ability to catch the ball..or what they used to call face guarding it's a no call. touching him on the back isn't PI PERIOD!

rcsodak
10-06-2009, 10:46 PM
I'd like to see the alleged video evidence for myself. People's interpretations of other peoples non-verbal communications are often erroneous.

It's pretty much everywhere! 5mins of searching and you'll be amazed at what you can find...... ;)

Benetto
10-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Romo didn't know what down it was cause he spiked it on 2nd down to stop the clock thinking it was a first down spike.

As for Champ and his alleged hold...I thought they had a 5 yard cushion for contact...They were on the 2 yard line...AND, Champ never held him anyways...:coffee: Don't blame the refs for not wanting to work over time and send it to OT.

All kidding aside, I said it 100 times last year with the Hockuli call, Refs make good calls AND bad calls every Sunday...Ill take the good ones just as I have to take the bad ones regardless. Ill just bask in them when they are in the Broncos favor. And punch holes in my walls when they are not.

sneakers
10-07-2009, 04:32 AM
I dont doubt that I might make a "mistake" like that.....the people who wrote the stupid article are probably out to get him anyway.

gobroncsnv
10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
All kidding aside, I said it 100 times last year with the Hockuli call, Refs make good calls AND bad calls every Sunday...Ill take the good ones just as I have to take the bad ones regardless. Ill just bask in them when they are in the Broncos favor. And punch holes in my walls when they are not.

Seriously, it would have been a bad call if the ref had flagged Champ for what he did. It was within the rules. REALLY... If the receiver had been forced to turn because of Champ putting his arm there, they should have called that. But he didn't hinder the receiver's ability to catch the ball, therefore, no flag. Good no call. Even the Cowboyz' players knew it.

Tned
10-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Dallas released a statement.

They said that he knew it was fourth down, but as he turned to walk off the field, the down marker showed third down, so he asked the ref what down it was. The sideline guy was rotating the down marker from 4 -> 3 -> 2 -> 1 and Romo saw it when it was at 3.

Anyway, that is Dallas' explanation for the video. Seems plausible. Especially since in the beginning of the video clip, he appears to be walking off the field.

Dirk
10-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Either way, they lost and we won! :D

NightTrainLayne
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Dallas released a statement.

They said that he knew it was fourth down, but as he turned to walk off the field, the down marker showed third down, so he asked the ref what down it was. The sideline guy was rotating the down marker from 4 -> 3 -> 2 -> 1 and Romo saw it when it was at 3.

Anyway, that is Dallas' explanation for the video. Seems plausible. Especially since in the beginning of the video clip, he appears to be walking off the field.

That makes the most sense. Romo's been in the league long enough, plus college, high school. I really didn't believe for a minute that he lost track of it being fourth down.

rcsodak
10-07-2009, 11:14 AM
That makes the most sense. Romo's been in the league long enough, plus college, high school. I really didn't believe for a minute that he lost track of it being fourth down.

Yeah.....I doubt he'd line up behind the OG for the snap.... :coffee:

T.K.O.
10-07-2009, 11:42 AM
well...what did we learn today?
DONT MESS WITH THE BEST !....champ bailey:beer:

CoachChaz
10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Local radio and news has talked about the 4th down debacle for 3 days straight now. it's pathetic. Romo chokes alot, but I have to admit...if he had a good QB coach, OC and head coach...he could be a very, very good QB in this league. I'll make the Romo jokes all day down here in Cowboy country, but I cant say I'd be upset if he were to become a Bronco. I think he'd be absolutely awesome with Josh, our line and receiving corps

As far as the Champ excuse...it's one of about 5000 the local media and fans came up with. A Dallas opponent could play the most perfect game ever and they'd all still insist it was the Cowboys errors that lost the game. I've heard ONE person say the Broncos defense deserves credit for the win...and he was immediately scoffed.

Thank the stars you all dont live in this sports market. Fair-weathered fans that define the word homer and media personalities with less than an ounce of unbiased knowledge.

Dreadnought
10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Thank the stars you all dont live in this sports market. Fair-weathered fans that define the word homer and media personalities with less than an ounce of unbiased knowledge.

Huh - and here I thought you were talking about the New York City sports media!