PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys questioned for testing Bailey

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 07:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/columns/cowboys/blog?post=4534469

The fact that the Cowboys tested perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey 16 times Sunday - including in the last two throws of the game - has folks scratching their head across the country.

Bailey welcomed the action. The Cowboys completed some short throws in front of him, but Bailey made them pay for coming his way. He picked off a Tony Romo pass in the third quarter, when Miles Austin ran the wrong route in the red zone, and deflected a fourth-down throw to Sam Hurd in the final seconds.

"Please do!" Bailey said when asked about Romo repeatedly targeting him. "That's the only way I get a chance to make plays."

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady wondered what the heck the Cowboys were thinking.

"Late in the game I was watching, and they threw those two slants at the end and I'm just thinking, 'Man, if there's one guy you don't want to pick on, it's Champ,'" Brady said Monday during an appearance on Boston's WEEI radio. "I can't imagine you go into a game thinking, 'Oh, let's really go after this guy, see if he can make some plays.'"

Why test Bailey so often?

"That's not my call, bro," Cowboys receiver Patrick Crayton said.

While walking to a meeting room Monday afternoon, offensive coordinator Jason Garrett declined to answer a question about throwing at Bailey so many times.

"Most passes are reads from the quarterback as for what they're playing and what the open route could or should be," head coach Wade Phillips said.

In the locker room Sunday night, Romo said the Cowboys "got what we wanted" on their final snap of the game.

That was a matchup that pitted No. 4 receiver Sam Hurd (28 career receptions) against Bailey (44 career interceptions). Why would the Cowboys like that matchup on back-to-back plays with the game on the line?

"It wasn't like we specifically said we wanted to attack him," said Hurd, who was on the field because Roy Williams was sidelined by bruised ribs. "It was just we took what they were giving up. Some coaches are scared and intimidated by a guy. But you can't be that way. It's football. We got what we wanted and tried to take advantage of it."

The result was predictable. And this came after Bailey reminded the Cowboys of his ability by making a diving interception on the throw to Austin (23 career catches) early in the third quarter.

"Even when he got the pick down near the goal line I said to myself, 'Probably one of the greatest cornerbacks in history and you choose to throw the ball to his side?'" Denver linebacker D.J. Williams told reporters. "It really didn't make that much sense to me."

Shazam!
10-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Romo said the Cowboys "got what we wanted" on their final snap of the game.

An incomplete pass and a loss? Really.

broncobryce
10-05-2009, 08:29 PM
They played right into Denver hands..........haa ha ha ha

SR
10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Love the quote by Tom Brady. Classic.

SR
10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
An incomplete pass and a loss? Really.

Coverage dude. They got the coverage they wanted.

Shazam!
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Uh... yes I know SR.

frenchfan
10-06-2009, 01:42 AM
In defense of the Cowboys, the other CB is no more Dre Bly... Since Goodman did a good job and our safeties are playing well, why don't try to attack Champ?
May be the rumours he has lost step was true...

But the mistake is not to test him, but to test him so much... Why didn't they adjust?
The end of the game reminded me why Dallas hasn't be good in the playoffs... Romo...
Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good QB, but he has to step up his level during great games... He really struggles in big games...
Lack of lucidity under pressure...
If he improves there, then Dallas will be much more dangerous... A good team, but not great yet...

Canmore
10-06-2009, 02:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/columns/cowboys/blog?post=4534469

...Patriots quarterback Tom Brady wondered what the heck the Cowboys were thinking.

"Late in the game I was watching, and they threw those two slants at the end and I'm just thinking, 'Man, if there's one guy you don't want to pick on, it's Champ,'" Brady said Monday during an appearance on Boston's WEEI radio. "I can't imagine you go into a game thinking, 'Oh, let's really go after this guy, see if he can make some plays.'"...

Let's hope the rest of the season other teams think the same way.

LoyalSoldier
10-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Love the quote by Tom Brady. Classic.

He played with fire before and learned from it. ;)

JDL
10-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Yeah, you may try that once... but you just look ridiculous doing that on back to back plays at the end of the game.

I have no idea why they didn't try to get Witten more involved, but I sure was glad they didn't!

Dirk
10-06-2009, 05:16 AM
Same thought was going through my mind. Hurd? Really? With Witten there?

threefolddead
10-06-2009, 05:36 AM
"That's not my call, bro,"
This just cracks me up. Seems like this should be on repeat for several different teams.

Dean
10-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Coverage dude. They got the coverage they wanted.

The coverage that they got was their number four receiver one on one on a nine (?) time pro-bowler. Who wants that coverage? That is not placing an offensive strength against a defensive weakness.

Even if they thought that Champ had lost a step, we are talking about someone who ran a fourty in the 4.2s. He would have to lose several steps. He has been active this season tipping 2 passes for interceptions by other players. The play calls don't make sense. :noidea:

I am okay with any team testing Champ and good luck with that.

NightTrainLayne
10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
The coverage that they got was their number four receiver one on one on a nine (?) time pro-bowler. Who wants that coverage? That is not placing an offensive strength against a defensive weakness.

Even if they thought that Champ had lost a step, we are talking about someone who ran a fourty in the 4.2s. He would have to lose several steps. He has been active this season tipping 2 passes for interceptions by other players. The play calls don't make sense. :noidea:

I am okay with any team testing Champ and good luck with that.

McDaniels was asked about this in his post-game press conference. He inferred that based on their formation that the Broncos defense lined up in such a way as to make that read for Romo.

He was asked basically, "what if they threw to the other side?" And his response was a shrug, and an answer (paraphrased) of, yeah, but we had a couple more guys over there, we pretty much knew where he was going with it.

I don't know if we just got lucky or if McD's "situational football" came through there. He certainly believes that from their situational analysis that they knew exactly where Romo was going out of that formation on the goal-line. ..

Dirk
10-06-2009, 12:02 PM
It seems that McD really does know football. Even if they lose a couple in the upcoming weeks, we got a great coach!