PDA

View Full Version : Having a defense is way more fun than having cutler

sneakers
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Maybe because I am new to this whole defense thing, and the novelty will wear off.

Thnikkaman
10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
:salute:

Shazam!
10-05-2009, 05:54 PM
It's the best defensive turnaround I've seen in Denver since 1996, and that took two years.

Great defense beats great offense.

frenchfan
10-06-2009, 01:54 AM
It's the best defensive turnaround I've seen in Denver since 1996, and that took two years.

Great defense beats great offense.Humm... not always though, but it's often true :salute:

BroncoBJ
10-06-2009, 02:51 AM
I agree. :salute: .. I remember when I thought we had a really good defense like 4 years ago. And our offense sucked. I was wishing we had an offense because I hated those close low scoring games. But then we got an offense and I realized that I hated either playing shootouts or just getting blown out.

But I love how we are playing now. We won't beat every team by 20 points but we will be competitive and in the game til the end. We will win a lot of games that way. So far so good. Cant wait til the haters really have to eat thier words. :salute:

BroncoTech
10-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Um yum these words are D'licious

JDL
10-06-2009, 04:07 AM
I agree. :salute: .. I remember when I thought we had a really good defense like 4 years ago. And our offense sucked. I was wishing we had an offense because I hated those close low scoring games. But then we got an offense and I realized that I hated either playing shootouts or just getting blown out.

But I love how we are playing now. We won't beat every team by 20 points but we will be competitive and in the game til the end. We will win a lot of games that way. So far so good. Cant wait til the haters really have to eat thier words. :salute:

I would agree with this particularly the first part... fans seem to have already forgotten the recent past.

Denver in 2006 gave up 34pts over its first 4 games en route to a 3-1 record. In fact, we gave up only 44pts in 6 games en route to a 5-1 record. How'd that season finish? We gave up 261pts the final 10 games... simple math... 26.1pts/game down the stretch.

I would just caution that we've been here done this before. We don't have the D personnel to maintain this and it will show up sooner or later and that doesn't we haven't seen tremendous progress and potential for what we can be if we start drafting right and signing the right free agents. I'm just worried fans have started to lose reason/reality a little bit. If this team ever gets full of itself it will get slammed back to earth in a hurry. The best word for it is scrappy.

What happened in 2006 though would be no coincidence to this year. Remember, we had Al Wilson, a superb defensive captain who covered up for a lot of defensive issues. Dawkins continues to cover up for glaring defensive mistakes, tackles guys short of 1st down, saves TDs (repeatedly), makes big plays less than what they would be otherwise. He is also 35 years old. The season long and players wear down, unless you have tremendous depth and fortune (injury-wise.) That D deteriorated beneath Al Wilson and crumbled after his departure and by those last few games went from one of the best in the NFL to one of the absolute worst, in the blink of an eye.

This has been really fun so far and it is great to actually not dread the D being on the field in the final two minutes. It's been shaky though, the Bengals figured them out and the Cowboys almost did too and someone probably will, eventually. But, like I've been saying ... this is all about laying a foundation. I can't stress how much our future defensive performance is dependent upon finding an elite defensive captain to take over for Dawkins. If we find that, I think we have the defensive coaches to really do something on that side of the ball for once.

But, alas we have been here before and as they say - 'those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.' Maybe we other teams won't figure us out, maybe this D can keep it up for a full 16 game schedule, but I wouldn't hang my hat on them quite yet. I fully understand the euphoria of going from perhaps the worst D Denver has seen in about 4 decades to a superb defensive start, but the fall can be hard. Just a friendly reminder and if I could paraphrase another quote - things really are never quite as bad or quite as good as they might seem at the time. There are still very apparent issues that we will come to talk about in the coming weeks no doubt, so I don't want to be a rain cloud of doubt, but just wanted to point out that we've been down this road before (geez how many inane quotes are in my head tonight!) - and we should enjoy every second of this, but be prepared for the bumps in the road we certainly have to face.

Dirk
10-06-2009, 05:21 AM
I believe there may be a bigger difference here with this defense. Nolan. I believe he can keep them focused on the big picture and hungry. Unlike previous DC's that have come through Denver. Excluding Williams IMO.

frenchfan
10-06-2009, 06:27 AM
JDL

I understand your concern and your point. I think I can agree on some parts...

I don't take things for granted right now... and IMO, in the NFL, when you start taking things for granted you fail.

I was sceptical since sunday's game... Dallas was a good test (even if some people think they are overrated).
We dominated their running game which was the best in the league... OK, some will argue Jones wasn't here, but Barber & Choice are not bad... Plus, when you can run like that, it's also a sign that your OL dominate.
We stop the run and pressured Romo the whole game. In conclusion, our Front 7 dominated Dallas' OL. That's a very good sign.

Another difference I see is the fact we (our O and our D) adapt our schemes to the opponents ... I don't think 2006's D was able to do that. So, near mid-season, the opponents knew how to play us... I think it will not be the case this year...
I also believe Nolan is a great DC (but not a good HC).
Finally, McD seems to know what he is doing and really, I like his coaching style (I'd like to see more about our O though).
We don't have many "names", but we do have players...

I still have questions about our team... I don't think we are SB contender yet... But what a good start and what a good way to build a dominant team...

I'm still cautious, but I'm really optimistic and excited for our future... Let's stay realistic, we are not yet a top team... But we are on the good way and we won't be a joke this year.
Last, I hope people will continue to underrate us... I do love that ;) :D

Go Broncos... :defense:

gobroncsnv
10-06-2009, 07:14 AM
The difference between this year and the past 10 or so years on D is that we have the ability to pressure the passer. If we can keep that up, this defense will be fine.

The other thing is, Nolan learned (or should have, anyway) that the prevent D he tried against Cincy sucks eggs. We kept the pressure on Romo on their final drive, and he made a GREAT play to avoid the rush and get that pass off to get them down the field.
What won the game for us in the end was STILL BRINGING PRESSURE, and only allowed him one read. If we would have stayed back on our heels, hoping to cover all of the end zone, the game would have gone into OT.

Another difference is that in year's past, even when we brought a blitz, we couldn't get there. Not even CLOSE. In the 2006 AFC title game, we blitzed A LOT... NEVER got to Roth when it counted. This year, there are times when our regular rush package makes the sack. When we blitz now, you have to take it seriously.

Traveler
10-06-2009, 07:32 AM
I would agree with this particularly the first part... fans seem to have already forgotten the recent past.

Denver in 2006 gave up 34pts over its first 4 games en route to a 3-1 record. In fact, we gave up only 44pts in 6 games en route to a 5-1 record. How'd that season finish? We gave up 261pts the final 10 games... simple math... 26.1pts/game down the stretch.

I would just caution that we've been here done this before. We don't have the D personnel to maintain this and it will show up sooner or later and that doesn't we haven't seen tremendous progress and potential for what we can be if we start drafting right and signing the right free agents. I'm just worried fans have started to lose reason/reality a little bit. If this team ever gets full of itself it will get slammed back to earth in a hurry. The best word for it is scrappy.

What happened in 2006 though would be no coincidence to this year. Remember, we had Al Wilson, a superb defensive captain who covered up for a lot of defensive issues. Dawkins continues to cover up for glaring defensive mistakes, tackles guys short of 1st down, saves TDs (repeatedly), makes big plays less than what they would be otherwise. He is also 35 years old. The season long and players wear down, unless you have tremendous depth and fortune (injury-wise.) That D deteriorated beneath Al Wilson and crumbled after his departure and by those last few games went from one of the best in the NFL to one of the absolute worst, in the blink of an eye.

This has been really fun so far and it is great to actually not dread the D being on the field in the final two minutes. It's been shaky though, the Bengals figured them out and the Cowboys almost did too and someone probably will, eventually. But, like I've been saying ... this is all about laying a foundation. I can't stress how much our future defensive performance is dependent upon finding an elite defensive captain to take over for Dawkins. If we find that, I think we have the defensive coaches to really do something on that side of the ball for once.

But, alas we have been here before and as they say - 'those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.' Maybe we other teams won't figure us out, maybe this D can keep it up for a full 16 game schedule, but I wouldn't hang my hat on them quite yet. I fully understand the euphoria of going from perhaps the worst D Denver has seen in about 4 decades to a superb defensive start, but the fall can be hard. Just a friendly reminder and if I could paraphrase another quote - things really are never quite as bad or quite as good as they might seem at the time. There are still very apparent issues that we will come to talk about in the coming weeks no doubt, so I don't want to be a rain cloud of doubt, but just wanted to point out that we've been down this road before (geez how many inane quotes are in my head tonight!) - and we should enjoy every second of this, but be prepared for the bumps in the road we certainly have to face.

I totally agree! The things you mention above is how I've approached this team for the last 25+ years. With all the constant fading at the end of seasons past, I've truly become a pessimist.

Love they way the defense is playing and hope they continue to do so. It's also a good omen that the offense really hasn't reached it's peak, but is steadily getting better.

Hopefully, that means they'll be playing their best football at the end of the season. It's still to early for me to buy in totally. Let's see where we are at the end of this month.

Dean
10-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Maybe because I am new to this whole defense thing, and the novelty will wear off.

It wasn't an either/or type of choice. We could have had both.

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
It wasn't an either/or type of choice. We could have had both.

Yep.

Grover
10-06-2009, 08:30 AM
I grew up with Denver Broncos football in the late 1970s. This team on D is almost as fun to watch as that group. Love the attitude.

There are a lot of great players on the defensive front seven. Ayers seems to be playing MUCH better with experience, and I'm hoping he can be a mini-sackmaster on the opposite side of Dumervil.

I'm still concerned by our depth at Safety, so I'm hoping we stay healthy. I don't see Bruton, Barrett et al replacing our starting Safeties and us having the same intimidating defense.

I also hope that Spencer Larsen gets that shoulder healed up and can contribute this year. Between him making the plays on Special Teams and Ayers improving in QB pressure and sacks, I think that might just be the extra that we need to keep this up for sixteen games. Defensive line rotation and staying healthy will be the keys maintaining defensive pressure. At SOME point this season, our offense will need to score points to take the pressure off the D. It would be good to have them do that this week against New England.

frenchfan
10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
The difference between this year and the past 10 or so years on D is that we have the ability to pressure the passer. If we can keep that up, this defense will be fine.

The other thing is, Nolan learned (or should have, anyway) that the prevent D he tried against Cincy sucks eggs. We kept the pressure on Romo on their final drive, and he made a GREAT play to avoid the rush and get that pass off to get them down the field.
What won the game for us in the end was STILL BRINGING PRESSURE, and only allowed him one read. If we would have stayed back on our heels, hoping to cover all of the end zone, the game would have gone into OT.

Another difference is that in year's past, even when we brought a blitz, we couldn't get there. Not even CLOSE. In the 2006 AFC title game, we blitzed A LOT... NEVER got to Roth when it counted. This year, there are times when our regular rush package makes the sack. When we blitz now, you have to take it seriously.I can't agree more :salute:

Giants did make this mistake against Pats during the SB... They didn't pressure Brady on 1 serie at the very end of the game... Result? TD Pats... And it almost costed them the game if it wan not for Eli's escape and miracle catch from Giants' TE. After that, they did pressure Brady again and the game was over...
What is the best way to counter passing game? Just make the QB eating the grass before he can even throw :D... And challenge him to test Champ ;) :laugh:

:defense:

GEM
10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Prevent defense=Prevents you from winning.

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Prevent defense=Prevents you from winning.

There are situations where a prevent defense is call for. For instance like game against the Bengals.

GEM
10-06-2009, 11:06 AM
There are situations where a prevent defense is call for. For instance like game against the Bengals.

It's horrendous to watch though. :lol:

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
It's horrendous to watch though. :lol:

Agreed. :beer:

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I hate prevent defense. That is the reason the bungals scored.

gobroncsnv
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Up three scores with a minute or so, prevent is ok... up by 6, it sucks. If we held them scoreless the entire rest of the game, keep doing what worked for 58 minutes.