PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels vs. Belichick matchup begins before Broncos host Patriots

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13490282?source=rss

McDaniels vs. Belichick matchup begins before Broncos host Patriots
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/05/2009 01:26:15 PM MDT
Updated: 10/05/2009 01:51:05 PM MDT

It hasn't been 24 hours since the Broncos' thrilling come-from-behind win against Dallas and yet the Cowboys are history.

How could they not be when next up on the schedule for Denver is the New England Patriots, the team coached by Josh McDaniels' mentor, Bill Belichick.

McDaniels spent only a few minutes Monday morning reflecting on the 17-10 win against Dallas (a "very sloppy first half offensively," he said) and was asked more questions about the Patriots, where McDaniels spent eight years working for Belichick.

"We're not going to make more of this game than what it is. It's the fifth game of the year," McDaniels said. "Think it will be a great challenge to play against one of the best franchises in this league and one of the best teams in this league and certainly what I think is the best coach in this league."

Then asked if facing the Patriots could really be "just another game," McDaniels only smirked.

When McDaniels was hired here in January to replace Mike Shanahan, he brought with him most of Belichick's coaching philosophies, as well as the Patriots' offensive scheme that McDaniels helped design. Much of the defensive scheme is the same as New England's too.

"It's going to come down to who tackles better, who blocks better, who throws better, who catches better," McDaniels said. "It's not going to be a big game of tricks and gimmicks I don't think.

"I think they're going to know plenty of what we're doing, if not all, and we're probably going to know a lot of what they're doing."

That answer was as Belichickian as the grey hooded sweatshirt McDaniels wore to the press conference. Hours earlier, in Massachusetts, Belichick said nearly the same thing when asked about playing the Broncos.

"In the end, it's going to come down to the same thing we just said. Who blocks who, who can get open, who can cover, who can tackle, who can break tackles, who throws accurately, who catches the ball, who drops it, that's what it comes down to," Belichick told reporters in New England.

"I don't think they're going to run anything we've never seen before. I don't think we're going to run anything they've never seen before."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

nbenallo33
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
this is gonna be a great game!

horsepig
10-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Amen.

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm looking forward to it.

LordTrychon
10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Boooooooooriiing......

Call them out coach! Tell the truth about cameragate!