PDA

View Full Version : What If?

NightTrainLayne
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
It's an all too natural question for us human beings. We often spend countless hours debating "What Ifs" from all facets of our lives. But it's a question that has taken on all-new meaning within the circle of Bronco Fans.

What if Jay Cutler was still here?

This question leads to a contentious argument among different factions of Bronco fans. One side concludes that if Jay Cutler was still a part of the Broncos that we would be unstoppable. 17 points against Dallas yesterday would have been 30. A last-second miracle against Cincinatti in week one would have not been necessary due to a multiple touchdown lead. Pair Jay Cutler with the Broncos other offensive weapons, and with THIS defense? Super-Bowl!

Of course, there's another camp who says "good riddance". Cutler couldn't get along with McDaniels and vice-versa. Cutler would be throwing interceptions where Orton hasn't, putting the team in bad positions. Maybe he would electrify the offense, but his mistakes would also keep the other team in the game. The Broncos are better off without him.

Probably the answer is in the middle somewhere. Jay Cutler isn't perfect, but it's very hard to ignore how well the offense moved the ball with him at QB last season. Who can blame Bronco fans for wondering, "What if"?

What if. ..

What if. ..

What if Mike Shanahan had taken steps to put together even a cloudy reflection of the defense that Coach McDaniels has done in ONE off-season during the past ten years? In these past ten years of Bronco mediocrity we've had countless teams that were well-versed in the offensive arts, but seemed like kindergartners playing with finger paint on defense.

I always thought that it would just take time to find the right defensive coordinator and build the right defense. Even was willing to give Coach Shanahan the chance to do that, although his decision to keep Bob Slowik in charge of that side of the ball had me doubting. But even at my most optimistic I figured that our team was at LEAST one more season away from top-tier contention due to our defense needing so much help.

Now McDaniels has turned all that reasoning (and rationalization) on its ear.

What if Shanahan had just paid a little more attention to the defense? That's the what if that has me burning up now. I defended and praised Shanahan right up until the moment Bowlen dropped the ax on him. But now, watching what Josh McDaniels has put together in his short time here, I realize just how blind of an eye Shanny had for anything outside of the big O. Even our special teams play is leaps and bounds ahead of the last several seasons.

What if. .. What if indeed. What if Shanahan had two more Superbowls to show Pat Bowlen?

MHCBill
10-05-2009, 01:51 PM
What if Pat would have hired Spags like I wanted versus McDaniels?

We certainly couldn't be any better!

broncofaninfla
10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I realize I'll probably be flamed for this because there seems to be so many Shanny haters but I said it out loud yetserday, Shanny's offense last year and this years defense would be a hard team to top. That offense wouldn't have to take as many risks or drive as far and that defense can keep us in any game.

MileHighCrew
10-05-2009, 01:54 PM
As a fan of Shanny and Cutler but always a Broncos fan first I would say this is one "what if" that no one should be asking right now. We who live in Broncos Country, bleed orange and blue and care too much for this team that is shows no logic should not look at the what if. Although we all have an answer of our own opinion to this question the fact is we are 4-0 with a team that looks to get better each week. Cutler is playing well and happy and Shanny will get to coach again. This situation which had all Broncos fans up in arms and is still a tender subject could be a win, win, win for all involved in the end.
Until someone proves me wrong the Broncos CAN win the Super Bowl this year in my opinion, why not? Are they favoured... no.... have stanger things happened YES SIR.

claymore
10-05-2009, 02:02 PM
What if we would have drafted Steven Jackson instead of DJ Williams. :baghead:

Dreadnought
10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Thats what drives us all nuts I think. My position has been pretty consistent; miserable that Shanny got axed while at the same time believing that keeping Slowick on the payroll for even 24 more hours after the San Diego game was unforgivable. It cost Shanny his job and rightly so. Then we hired the guy I most wanted - because I thought he'd get the most out of an already exciting offense and superior young QB talent...only to see, well, lets not go there. Oh, and I was hoping he'd identify and bring in a defensive Ace who might with luck get the stiffs and stumblebums we fielded in 2008 up to as good as mediocre. Wish granted and then some!

Slick
10-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I was going to what if, Ray Lewis-Mobley...Ed Reed-Ashley Lelie...DJ-Vince Wilfork...etc. I don't have the energy to what if Cutler anymore. I used it up last night.

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 02:06 PM
As a fan of Shanny and Cutler but always a Broncos fan first I would say this is one "what if" that no one should be asking right now. We who live in Broncos Country, bleed orange and blue and care too much for this team that is shows no logic should not look at the what if. Although we all have an answer of our own opinion to this question the fact is we are 4-0 with a team that looks to get better each week. Cutler is playing well and happy and Shanny will get to coach again. This situation which had all Broncos fans up in arms and is still a tender subject could be a win, win, win for all involved in the end.
Until someone proves me wrong the Broncos CAN win the Super Bowl this year in my opinion, why not? Are they favoured... no.... have stanger things happened YES SIR.

We CAN'T win anything unless we are there. You have to get the playoffs first before you even have a chance to win the Super Bowl.

dogfish
10-05-2009, 02:09 PM
What if we would have drafted Steven Jackson instead of DJ Williams. :baghead:

then we'd have a great running back who has a LOT of trouble staying healthy, instead of a linebacker who was kicking ass all over the field yesterday, and has been extremely durable and versatile for us. . . .

MileHighCrew
10-05-2009, 02:13 PM
We CAN'T win anything unless we are there. You have to get the playoffs first before you even have a chance to win the Super Bowl.

And I believe we will be there. At 4-0 I have yet to see anything that would suggest we wont make the playoffs

shank
10-05-2009, 02:17 PM
at this point, i'm totally done with what-ifs. it's a waste of time to me. josh mcdaniels is our head coach. kyle orton is our quarterback. we are 4-0. why not just let yourself enjoy it?

claymore
10-05-2009, 02:19 PM
then we'd have a great running back who has a LOT of trouble staying healthy, instead of a linebacker who was kicking ass all over the field yesterday, and has been extremely durable and versatile for us. . . .

I think Nolan saved his career.

honz
10-05-2009, 02:21 PM
**** Jay Cutler. Dude didn't want to be here, I don't want to have to root for that crybaby no matter how tight of a spiral he throws.

shank
10-05-2009, 02:27 PM

you've gotta be ******* kidding me.

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
If Cutler was here, McDaniels would be pulling his hair out.

Cutler doesn't play in a system, he makes a plethora of plays on his own throughout the game, and he leaves his defense in bad situations because of it.

He's in a good situation in Chicago. It's an offense that is predicated around the run, play action, and the Qb making plays. And it works for him. Denver isn't that kind of offense.

I'm not sure why people continue to fail to see this.

honz
10-05-2009, 02:31 PM
You do realize that he has played a different position every year he has been in the league, right? And he has still been our best LB in every one of those seasons (besides Al Wilson, of course).

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
I realize I'll probably be flamed for this because there seems to be so many Shanny haters but I said it out loud yetserday, Shanny's offense last year and this years defense would be a hard team to top. That offense wouldn't have to take as many risks or drive as far and that defense can keep us in any game.

Too bad that's a complete pipe dream. Shanahan, for as smart as he is offensively, is equally stupid defensively.

There's a reason why he had 1 playoff win in 10 years: John Elway retired.

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 02:33 PM

I don't know about that, but what I do know is that moving to inside linebacker has proven to be excellent move. He leads the team in tackles and is on pace to collect about 117. He also led the team yesterday in solo tackles with 9.

camdisco24
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I really don't miss that feeling I would constantly get when Cutler would turn the ball over at some of the worst times possible. Orton, McDaniels, and our new D is a breath of fresh air that I am quite enjoying right now. At this point, I wouldnt change a thing. I honestly dont miss Cutler one bit!

NightTrainLayne
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I hope the point goes without saying, but a big reason for my original post is to point out how pointless "what if" questions are. They're fun for conversation, but in the end we can't go back and change anything. If I could right now I'd put a defense with last year's offense and see us at least make some noise in the 2008 playoffs. . .but that ain't happening. Much as JC ain't coming back either.

I for one, will be looking to the future. What if's mainly deal with the past.

Brand
10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
What if.....

That damm horse had come in at win instead of show? I'd have made a mint, I tell you. A mint......

Life's so unfair!!!!

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 02:51 PM
And I believe we will be there. At 4-0 I have yet to see anything that would suggest we wont make the playoffs

I think Denver has good shot at making the playoffs all it is still way to early say we will for sure. I have also seen enough to suggest that even if we make the playoffs we wouldn't necessarily make deep run.

NameUsedBefore
10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
If Shanahan and Cutler were still here with Nolan's defense we would have one of the premier teams in the NFL; possibly the best. I'm not disrespecting McDaniels by any means, and I am certainly checking out the variations of crow on the menu, but I'd still take a well-oiled Shanahan-offense over any other variation in the NFL. Sure some guys can put up a bunch of points with the systems they got (Indy, New England), but Shanahan has in the past made it work with some grimace-worthy talent. To have this offense, with Jay Cutler and with the addition of a stout defense I believe you're looking at a 2005-esque team except this time we would have a top-tier QB and a pass rush that did not require a relentless blitz.

As it is, I still see Orton as a liability and most likely always will. That's certainly not going to be a popular thing to say, especially now, but I think the guy leaves a lot on the field and, up to this point, has been enormously lucky to not have had quite a few turnovers. I'm still unsure of McDaniels playcalling as well, but that may simply be due to my bias against the system. I have no doubt that McDaniels handling of the clock, particularly with timeouts, has been atrocious but that could be for any reason this early in his career.

skycoyote
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
What if Rex Ryan?

honz
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
If Shanahan and Cutler were still here with Nolan's defense we would have one of the premier teams in the NFL; possibly the best. I'm not disrespecting McDaniels by any means, and I am certainly checking out the variations of crow on the menu, but I'd still take a well-oiled Shanahan-offense over any other variation in the NFL. Sure some guys can put up a bunch of points with the systems they got (Indy, New England), but Shanahan has in the past made it work with some grimace-worthy talent. To have this offense, with Jay Cutler and with the addition of a stout defense I believe you're looking at a 2005-esque team except this time we would have a top-tier QB and a pass rush that did not require a relentless blitz.

As it is, I still see Orton as a liability and most likely always will. That's certainly not going to be a popular thing to say, especially now, but I think the guy leaves a lot on the field and, up to this point, has been enormously lucky to not have had quite a few turnovers. I'm still unsure of McDaniels playcalling as well, but that may simply be due to my bias against the system. I have no doubt that McDaniels handling of the clock, particularly with timeouts, has been atrocious but that could be for any reason this early in his career.
This is good baby steps for a guy that once had a sig that claimed McD had ruined our franchise in a matter of 30 days.

weazel
10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
this is easy...

if Cutler was still here, the offense would be moving the ball a lot easier. We would still have trouble punching it in the end zone once we get into the red zone (just like last season).

But... we would also have more turnovers because Jay likes to think he can pinpoint lasers into the tightest spo, and it costs him (and the team).

So, if Jay was still here we would have more points on the board but more points against.
Dunno if we would be 4-0 though....

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
this is easy...

if Cutler was still here, the offense would be moving the ball a lot easier. We would still have trouble punching it in the end zone once we get into the red zone (just like last season).

But... we would also have more turnovers because Jay likes to think he can pinpoint lasers into the tightest spo, and it costs him (and the team).

So, if Jay was still here we would have more points on the board but more points against.

So if Cutler were here the defenes would be worse?

That makes no sense.

T.K.O.
10-05-2009, 03:32 PM
what if the broncos revamped the D and traded away cutler and hired a rookie head coach and started 4-0....and made the playoffs for the first time in years.....oh wait:D

claymore
10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't know about that, but what I do know is that moving to inside linebacker has proven to be excellent move. He leads the team in tackles and is on pace to collect about 117. He also led the team yesterday in solo tackles with 9.
He played with a tenacity yesterday that I havent seen since his rookie year.

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM
He played with a tenacity yesterday that I havent seen since his rookie year.

I loved that hit he put on Roy Williams. :elefant:

Greatspirits
10-05-2009, 03:41 PM
If Cutler was here, McDaniels would be pulling his hair out.

Cutler doesn't play in a system, he makes a plethora of plays on his own throughout the game, and he leaves his defense in bad situations because of it.

He's in a good situation in Chicago. It's an offense that is predicated around the run, play action, and the Qb making plays. And it works for him. Denver isn't that kind of offense.

I'm not sure why people continue to fail to see this.

ditto!!

claymore
10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I loved that hit he put on Roy Williams. :elefant:

Talking about the hit that knocked him out of the end of Sunday's game, Cowboys receiver Roy Williams said, "Never in my life have I been hit like that, from Pop Warner through my six years in the league," Roy Williams said. "I'm 5,280 feet above sea level with asthma, so I was obviously hurting."

A day later, he was still hurting.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said Monday that Williams' status for this week is uncertain because he damaged cartilage in three of his ribs on the play.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Wow....

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Wow....

I wasn't sure if Roy just had the wind knocked out him or if D.J. bruised his sternum or broke one of his ribs.

claymore
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I wasn't sure if Roy just had the wind knocked out him or D.J. bruised his sternum or broke one of his ribs.

I think it was a mixture of all of that!

OrangeHoof
10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I think I'll stay out of this hypothetical because nothing can be proven.

I'll just congratulate the new regime on starting 4-0.

Tned
10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I think I'll stay out of this hypothetical because nothing can be proven.

I'll just congratulate the new regime on starting 4-0.

Ditto and ditto.

NameUsedBefore
10-05-2009, 04:16 PM
This is good baby steps for a guy that once had a sig that claimed McD had ruined our franchise in a matter of 30 days.

I suggest you get your facts straight.

DenBronx
10-05-2009, 04:19 PM
this is easy...

that's funny because their not having trouble punching it in the endzone in chicago. cutler imo has made that team alot better. finally matt forte decided to show up in game 4.

my "what if" would be this. still fire shanahan but keep cutler. no knock on orton, in fact orton is a smart qb and i like that alot. however guys like royal and sheffler look really enemic. we had how many rb's go down last year to injury? 7??? we have moreno and buckhalter who have been solid and were 4th in the league in rushing.

our defense is a top 5 defense people. wake up! no way in hell do we give up that many points last year with this years defense. bash cutler all you want but he is a better qb than orton hands down! no matter what the system is...

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Great post :salute: and for all the "what ifs", Cutler still here, Shanahan still here with Nolen, etc. it would NOT change anything up to this point - i.e. - the Broncos are 4 - 0, at this point, there is nothing more to achieve. I am not one who is going to take the time and effort to dish out quarterback "style points". The final score is all that counts - I DON'T care how that final score came about, if the Broncos are on the winning side of that score.

DenBronx
10-05-2009, 04:25 PM
the what ifs don't matter anymore. we're a pretty solid football team and i like the direction we are heading. up!

honz
10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I suggest you get your facts straight.

Maybe it was an avatar?

Nomad
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
the what ifs don't matter anymore. we're a pretty solid football team and i like the direction we are heading. up!

Not looking beyond Patriots, but if they can beat the Chargers in SD (without the help of the refs) then I know the BRONCOS have moved in a new direction (definitely have to beat them at home). I hate losing home games!!

NameUsedBefore
Maybe it was an avatar?

I've had this avatar for years.

I've had this signature for a very long time.

I think maybe it was someone else.

T.K.O.
what if.......?
the broncos go 19-0 !!!!!:elefant::beer::elefant:

honz
10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I've had this avatar for years.

I've had this signature for a very long time.

I think maybe it was someone else.

I could have sworn it was you. I apologize if it wasn't you. Whoever had that sig fess up!!!

Slick
10-05-2009, 06:27 PM

That makes no sense.

It makes a lot of sense. Turnover prone QB's put their defenses in bad situations no mater how good said defense is.

Dreadnought
10-05-2009, 07:02 PM
It makes a lot of sense. Turnover prone QB's put their defenses in bad situations no mater how good said defense is.

True, but QB's on desperate teams with bad defenses and behind in the score press and risk mistakes because they have to press and risk mistakes. Its a chicken/egg thing.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 07:06 PM
True, but QB's on desperate teams with bad defenses and behind in the score press and risk mistakes because they have to press and risk mistakes. Its a chicken/egg thing.

Many times, it is the QB who puts the defense in bad situations with INTS. There were games last year where it seemed the Broncos' defense was on the field much more than off because of INTS.

Dreadnought
10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Many times, it is the QB who puts the defense in bad situations with INTS. There were games last year where it seemed the Broncos' defense was on the field much more than off because of INTS.

I kind of saw it the reverse of that Carol. Cutler played the way he did because there was simply no choice in the matter. With a defense to be ashamed of and 7 RB's knocked out he singlehandedly carried us as far as it was possible to. Some of that necessitated risky play, and it was often brilliant. then again, sometimes it wasn't. As i said before i was willing to tolerate the Ints in 2008 because they were almost no different than punts, or rather a punt in 2008 was pretty much equivalent to a turnover. On top of it, the defense not only gave up gobs of points and yards it never made bad stuff happen to the opponent, so no cheap points for us either and plenty of long fields. I think we can all agree we never want to see a mess like that defense of '08, and it's been a pleasure to see opposing offenses suffer disasters at the hands of our D again this year.

Slick
10-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Absolutely, Dread. Valid point. There's two ways to look at that though. I don't have the stats to back this up, but I'd be willing to bet that half of Cutler's INTs were thrown when we had the lead or when there was no need to press.

Damn you NTL for sucking me back into this crap for a second night in a row! I said to myself last night..."Self.... Jay isn't here anymore. Forget it. Move on."

I guess I wasn't listening.

Dreadnought
10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Absolutely, Dread. Valid point. There's two ways to look at that though. I don't have the stats to back this up, but I'd be willing to bet that half of Cutler's INTs were thrown when we had the lead or when there was no need to press.
Damn you NTL for sucking me back into this crap for a second night in a row! I said to myself last night..."Self.... Jay isn't here anymore. Forget it. Move on."

I guess I wasn't listening.

In our eight wins he threw 5 picks. In the eight losses 13. Of his four multiple interception games all were bad double digit losses (the first KC game, NE, Miami, second SD game). We were badly behind in all four pretty early on save for KC, and we tacked on two more fumbles lost in that one. Chicken/egg?

Tned
10-05-2009, 07:27 PM

Yesterday, the defense was on the field for 20 minutes in the first half, and there were no INTs.

Slick
10-05-2009, 07:28 PM
In our eight wins he threw 5 picks. In the eight losses 13. Of his four multiple interception games all were bad double digit losses (the first KC game, NE, Miami, second SD game). We were badly behind in all four pretty early on save for KC, and we tacked on two more fumbles lost in that one. Chicken/egg?

I figured that might come back to bite me I just didn't expect it so quickly.

Let's flip a coin instead. Heads I win, tails you lose?

SmilinAssasSin27
10-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Shanny never woulda done what was needed to overhaul the D.

Dreadnought
10-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I figured that might come back to bite me I just didn't expect it so quickly.

Let's flip a coin instead. Heads I win, tails you lose?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CutlJa00.htm

I love this site. It helps me pretend I know what I'm talking about. Plus I can track Jamarcus Russell's QB rating week by week. Which right now is 42.4 :D

honz
10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
I'd just like to say that Jay Cutler sucks.

weazel
10-06-2009, 12:10 AM

That makes no sense.

I didnt say that... but from what I said it actually does make sense. Read the post before spouting nonsense. I said he would turn the ball over more, which would mean more points for the opposition.

weazel
10-06-2009, 12:13 AM
that's funny because their not having trouble punching it in the endzone in chicago. cutler imo has made that team alot better. finally matt forte decided to show up in game 4.

my "what if" would be this. still fire shanahan but keep cutler. no knock on orton, in fact orton is a smart qb and i like that alot. however guys like royal and sheffler look really enemic. we had how many rb's go down last year to injury? 7??? we have moreno and buckhalter who have been solid and were 4th in the league in rushing.

our defense is a top 5 defense people. wake up! no way in hell do we give up that many points last year with this years defense. bash cutler all you want but he is a better qb than orton hands down! no matter what the system is...

how was I bashing Cutler? I said our offense would move the ball easier with Jay! :rolleyes:

I simply stated that they would still have trouble punching the ball into the endzone. Why would having Cutler make the redzone offense better? it didn't last season.

a lot of you just try to argue for the sake of arguing, you dont even try to grasp the concept of the post.

weazel
10-06-2009, 12:16 AM

so Cutler threw interceptions because of the poor defense... ok.

Whats his excuse this season?

Ziggy
10-06-2009, 12:31 AM
If shanahan was still here the defensive players we brought in wouldn't be. Those were all McD's moves.

Overtime
10-06-2009, 12:32 AM
If Cutler were still here, we woulda lost at Cincy, because that final pass woulda been picked to seal the victory for Cincy.

We woulda lost yesterday because Cutler would have thrown a pick at a crucial time, trying to force it in there, and we woulda been 2-2 at best, maybe 1-3.

Shazam!
10-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Nah OT, you know, if Cutler was QB Denver would've been up 38-0 because of his brilliance.

Tned
10-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Chicago is happy, for the first time EVER they have a QB that has had a 100+ QB rating three games in a row. Broncos fans are happy, we are 4-0. Yet, everyone wants to play Karnak.

The "What ifs" could be interesting distractions between Sundays, but like most other 'discussions' (term used loosely) about this off-seasons moves, most people don't want to discuss, they simply want to tell others that don't agree 100% with our opinion, that they are WRONG.

What ever happened to respecting other people's opinions, even when it disagrees with our own?

Tned
10-06-2009, 07:06 AM
If Cutler were still here, we woulda lost at Cincy, because that final pass woulda been picked to seal the victory for Cincy.

We woulda lost yesterday because Cutler would have thrown a pick at a crucial time, trying to force it in there, and we woulda been 2-2 at best, maybe 1-3.

Like the way Orton's first throw on that drive was picked? Ooops, I forgot, we got lucky, because one of the defender's feet landed out of bounds.

This is what I am talking about. This gentleman can see the future or determine what would happen in alternate time lines (or whatever you call those things). He knows to a 100% certainty what would have happen.

Can you tell me how the Mets would have finished in '96 if they hadn't traded Bobby Bonilla in '95?

How about how many home runs Bonds would have hit if he wasn't doing steroids?

These questions should be just as easy to answer with 100% accuracy.