PDA

View Full Version : Williams, Nolan heading back to the "A" list?

broncofaninfla
10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Williams, Nolan heading back to the "A" list? (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/05/williams-nolan-heading-back-to-the-a-list/)

Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2009 12:48 PM ET
At a time when most league observers are assuming that the 2010 coaching "A" list will consist primarily of men with Super Bowl rings on their fingers, we can't overlook the dynamic that unfolds during every regular season.

In multiple cities, coordinators get hot.

This year, two of the hottest quarter-pole coordinators also are former head coaches.

In New Orleans, Gregg Williams instantly has transformed a previously pathetic Saints defense, triggering over the past two weeks a dramatic shift in the manner in which the team has been winning its football games.

Last year, zero touchdown passes from quarterback Drew Brees in two games would have been presumed to equate to two losses. This year, the Saints still came away with two wins.

As Peter King of SI.com points out, the Saints were 26th in scoring defense (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/10/04/mmqb.week.4/index.html?eref=sihpT1) last season. To date in 2009, they're seventh.

In Denver, Mike Nolan's defense has allowed only 26 points in four games. Given the quality (or lack thereof) of the roster that he inherited on that side of the ball, the performance is a step above remarkable.

Williams coached the Bills from 2001 through 2003, and Nolan was the man in San Fran from 2005 through seven games of the 2008 season. If they keep it up, they both could get a second chance.

Here's another important angle: Money. With a bad economy, a work stoppage on the horizon, and young (i.e., cheap) coaches doing very well, the salary scale has shifted. So if the Lords of the Rings will be asking for $8 million or more per year, why not consider guys like Williams or Nolan, who'll surely settle for far less?

So, yeah, if the Saints and the Broncos continue to produce surprising results on defense, both of these guys will be in play -- even if they serve only as leverage to get the big-name guys to take a lot less money.

dogfish
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
enh. . . some guys are just better as coordinators. . . . dick le beau didn't have any success as a head coach, and even the legendary buddy ryan was a .500 HC. . . . it wouldn't shock me if nolan got another chance, but anybody that wants to hire him based on our D's performance this year should take a close look at what he did in san fran-- i'm thinking it might be a little too soon for him to get another head coaching position. . . while it's tough not to wish the guy well, i selfishly hope we can keep him around for at least a few years-- hopefully he can train one of his assistants to take over. . . and once you have the personnel in place and the scheme ingrained, it can become kind of self-perpetuating. . . .

also, i would kinda think that in a way it's a nice break going back to being a coordinator. . . after getting hammered and picked apart by the media for his work in san fran, it might not be so bad being a coordinator and letting somebody else take the heat for a while (not that mcdaniels is doing much of that right now anyway). . . maybe nolan will be content to spend a few years basking in the glory he's getting right now, and not having to be the guy on the spot if we lose. . . of course he doesn't get paid as much for that, but he's not exactly living on minimum wage, either. . . .

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 01:04 PM
enh. . . some guys are just better as coordinators. . . . dick le beau didn't have any success as a head coach, and even the legendary buddy ryan was a .500 HC. . . . it wouldn't shock me if nolan got another chance, but anybody that wants to hire him based on our D's performance this year should take a close look at what he did in san fran-- i'm thinking it might be a little too soon for him to get another head coaching position. . . while it's tough not to wish the guy well, i selfishly hope we can keep him around for at least a few years-- hopefully he can train one of his assistants to take over. . . and once you have the personnel in place and the scheme ingrained, it can become kind of self-perpetuating. . . .

also, i would kinda think that in a way it's a nice break going back to being a coordinator. . . after getting hammered and picked apart by the media for his work in san fran, it might not be so bad being a coordinator and letting somebody else take the heat for a while (not that mcdaniels is doing much of that right now anyway). . . maybe nolan will be content to spend a few years basking in the glory he's getting right now, and not having to be the guy on the spot if we lose. . . of course he doesn't get paid as much for that, but he's not exactly living on minimum wage, either. . . .

Same here I would like to keep him around for more than just a couple of years but with as well as this defense is doing I expect he'll get an offer be head coach within the next couple of years.

NightTrainLayne
10-05-2009, 01:05 PM

I agree with this line of reasoning. Nolan will be around for at least another year, and maybe two. I'm sure he needs a break after all the criticism he took in San Fran. Plus, he is most likely learning quite a lot about being a HC from McD. Strange, but true.

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree with this line of reasoning. Nolan will be around for at least another year, and maybe two. I'm sure he needs a break after all the criticism he took in San Fran. Plus, he is most likely learning quite a lot about being a HC from McD. Strange, but true.

If I remember correctly Nolan signed a two year deal.

broncofaninfla
10-05-2009, 01:10 PM

That's my understanding as well.

dogfish
10-05-2009, 01:13 PM

we should offer him an extension and add "assistant head coach" to his title. . . . :D

SOCALORADO.
10-05-2009, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=dogfish;771469]enh. . . some guys are just better as coordinators. . . .

SEE Norv Turner :elefant:

dogfish
10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
SEE Norv Turner :elefant:

yep, he's another great example. . . .

MHCBill
10-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Jim Johnson in Philly did it for years... sometimes it's nice playing second fiddle.

ssgtwc
10-05-2009, 02:08 PM
and how many playoff wins does Wade Phillips as the HC for Dallas?